PDA

View Full Version : What do you feel your responsibilities are as a citizen?

CHIEF4EVER
06-30-2007, 09:44 PM
I mentioned on another thread or 2 that WE, as citizens have failed and that is why we have the problems we have. What is your opinion? What role do we have in our government? Do you feel as I do that we are the sovereigns and responsible for our own country and laws or do you feel otherwise?

BucEyedPea
06-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Well, one could kinda look at govt as being the aggregate irresponsibility of a people.

In other words the govt handlesz things that we don't want to handle as it's too unwieldy or whatever. That should not be a whole lot but some things it's easier. But as the govt has taken over more and more areas to handle: education, preschool, after-school care, local issues, healthcare, helping others instead of helping others yourself... in a piecemeal manner.... I think the people become less responsible and actually slowly give up their sovereignty. People get apathetic and lazy. It corrupts the electorate eventually.

There once was a time when the average citizen ran for office and only remained there for a period of time, after which they would leave. There was actually an artist in Congress at one time. We still have some doctors....but really most of it is a professional political class of elites and language manipulating lawyers. I guess you need "professionals" when govt runs so many things. But that to me is a loss of individual sovereignty and a threat to liberty.

CHIEF4EVER
06-30-2007, 10:02 PM
I'll start. It is my opinion that as a citizen of this Representative Democracy also known as a Republic, that we have the responsibility as citizens to be the ultimate check and balance. To inform our elected leaders per dissent the will of the people and the mood of the populace. In the end, in my opinion, WE THE PEOPLE are responsible for the laws and conduct of our country. If we allow those who contravene our will to prevail, WE have only OURSELVES to blame. Just my opinion (albeit a loud one).

Bowser
06-30-2007, 10:04 PM
I'll start.

Somebody needs to upgrade from dialup....

:p

BucEyedPea
06-30-2007, 10:05 PM
I agree with that too Chief4ever.
I just think the peeps have to step up.
They did on immigration....too bad not on more.

CHIEF4EVER
06-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Somebody needs to upgrade from dialup....

:p

How truly you speak. :banghead:

CHIEF4EVER
06-30-2007, 10:12 PM

Bingo. We let our representatives (Senator or Rep) hear from us on a sensitive issue like illegal immigration but on nothing else. WHY??????? WE are the sovereigns. WE have the responsibility to make our will heard on all issues. WE need to let them know what we want.

Logical
06-30-2007, 10:39 PM
I'll start. It is my opinion that as a citizen of this Representative Democracy also known as a Republic, that we have the responsibility as citizens to be the ultimate check and balance. To inform our elected leaders per dissent the will of the people and the mood of the populace. In the end, in my opinion, WE THE PEOPLE are responsible for the laws and conduct of our country. If we allow those who contravene our will to prevail, WE have only OURSELVES to blame. Just my opinion (albeit a loud one).A lone loud opinion won't do anything, are you organizing groups to provide dissent? I admit I am not and in that I fail in the test as a citizen.

Logical
06-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Bingo. We let our representatives (Senator or Rep) hear from us on a sensitive issue like illegal immigration but on nothing else. WHY??????? WE are the sovereigns. WE have the responsibility to make our will heard on all issues. WE need to let them know what we want.
Did we create a solution that will change things, stopping legislation is not the definition of success.

CHIEF4EVER
07-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Did we create a solution that will change things, stopping legislation is not the definition of success.

No, we havent yet. But stopping BAD legislation which contravenes the will of the people is a start. From here we can move on to a solution that will be acceptable.

Simplex3
07-01-2007, 07:08 AM
I disagree. In this day and age of "just put it on the ballot until it passes", every failure to pass is a huge success.

I think the place that the people have failed the most miserably is in their selection of people to represent them. I don't know the why, but any society that would continually elect Ted "Killer" Kennedy needs to be checked out by a shrink.

BucEyedPea
07-01-2007, 09:31 AM
I disagree. In this day and age of "just put it on the ballot until it passes", every failure to pass is a huge success.

I think the place that the people have failed the most miserably is in their selection of people to represent them. I don't know the why, but any society that would continually elect Ted "Killer" Kennedy needs to be checked out by a shrink.
Maybe the immigration fiasco will finally wake up the folks from Massachusetts. They're pretty hopeless up there when it comes to a Kennedy.

But I have to agree, on un-passed legislation being a huge success, even on immigration. I'd rather they live in the shadows than get rewarded with citizenry, some of whom don't even want it.

BucEyedPea
07-01-2007, 09:34 AM
A lone loud opinion won't do anything, are you organizing groups to provide dissent? I admit I am not and in that I fail in the test as a citizen.
Proud member of "The Chattering Classes" 'eh?

I found a new label to use. ;) :p

Fishpicker
07-01-2007, 09:36 AM
12 posts and no one has mentioned taxes... odd. Is it not our duty to pay taxes?

BucEyedPea
07-02-2007, 09:09 AM
To see that our reps DO the following:

"The obligations of our representatives in Washington are to protect our liberty, not coddle the world, precipitating no-win wars, while bringing bankruptcy and economic turmoil to our people." Ron Paul

Iowanian
07-02-2007, 01:06 PM
My responsibilities are fairly simple I think.

Be a good father and husband, raise productive children who are intelligent, educated, civilized and contribute to society in a positive manner as adults.

Pay my fair share of taxes, even though I don't like it.....I do like fire protection, good roads and a funded military.

Participate in activities that improve my community, schools and or at least help my neighbors.

Vote. Take my ass to the polls, put forth some effort for this priviledge and earn my right to bitch and participate in the process. You don't like your reps? Vote them out.

CHIEF4EVER
07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
My responsibilities are fairly simple I think.

Be a good father and husband, raise productive children who are intelligent, educated, civilized and contribute to society in a positive manner as adults.

Pay my fair share of taxes, even though I don't like it.....I do like fire protection, good roads and a funded military.

Participate in activities that improve my community, schools and or at least help my neighbors.

Vote. Take my ass to the polls, put forth some effort for this priviledge and earn my right to bitch and participate in the process. You don't like your reps? Vote them out.

I think they are more complex than that. We have the first amendment right to petition for the redress of grievances. Unfortunately, most Americans are too apathetic to use that right. They figure "what the hell, Congress will do whatever it wants anyway, my vote don't count, they don't care, _____________ <---------insert excuse here". I view the right to redress grievances as a responsibility as well. The truth is, as we have recently seen, that Congress WILL listen if enough citizens exercise that right. If used more often, people will stop bitching about getting effed by their politicians and start telling their politicians how to vote.

Planetman
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
As citizens, we need to be taken seriously. For that to happen, we need to stop using words like "peeps," unless referring to Easter candy.

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
As citizens, we need to be taken seriously. For that to happen, we need to stop using words like "peeps," unless referring to Easter candy.
Oh no! I support govt by the peeps for the peeps!
And those aren't candy. They're nutrition. :p

Iowanian
07-03-2007, 02:59 PM
A Festivus for the Restofus.

I think they are more complex than that. We have the first amendment right to petition for the redress of grievances. Unfortunately, most Americans are too apathetic to use that right. They figure "what the hell, Congress will do whatever it wants anyway, my vote don't count, they don't care, _____________ <---------insert excuse here". I view the right to redress grievances as a responsibility as well. The truth is, as we have recently seen, that Congress WILL listen if enough citizens exercise that right. If used more often, people will stop bitching about getting effed by their politicians and start telling their politicians how to vote.

CHIEF4EVER
07-03-2007, 03:42 PM
A Festivus for the Restofus.

Ok, what's your point? :p