PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs' Cap Room, Pt. II

Direckshun
07-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Part I here (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=162431).

Here are the official numbers, though. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-caproom062907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

TEAMS WITH $10M OR MORE OF CAP ROOM
1. Cleveland $22 million

2. Buffalo $21 million

3. Minnesota $20 million

4. Jacksonville $16.5 million

5. Kansas City $16.2 million

6. Green Bay $16 million

7. Tennessee $15.3 million

8. Dallas $13.8 million

9. Oakland $12.5 million

10. Philadelphia $11.5 million

11. St. Louis $11.5 million

12. New Orleans $11.2 million

13. Seattle $10.5 million

14. N.Y. Jets $10 million

Source: NFLPA

Plenty of money to sign LJ, Jared, every rookie, and bring in another big FA or two if we could.

Just saying. :)

luv
07-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Is there a deadline for signing free agents?

Direckshun
07-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Is there a deadline for signing free agents?
There is, but it's deep in the season.

luv
07-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Stupid question time.

Does whatever we don't use carry over into next year?

Direckshun
07-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Stupid question time.

Yeah, and it'll increase as the cap is raised a few million just about every year.

luv
07-01-2007, 01:29 PM
So, in terms of rebuilding, next year could be a very substantial year for us. Several draft picks, and if we don't use all of that $16.2M. I'm sure we'll use a lot more of it this year. I'm just sayin'.

Who are you wanting to see picked up this year? Anyone in particular?

Direckshun
07-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Nobody on the FA market's really that outstanding right now, and this year the only last real additions I could see this team make are trading for DE Alex Brown and drafting CB Paul Oliver through the Sup Draft.

But signing LJ and Jared and the remaining 5 rooks will probably suck away at least $6 million of that. We should have at least $10 million heading into next offseason if we're doing what we're supposed to be doing.

Next offseason, OG Alan Faneca hits the FA market and I believe the Chiefs should make the hardest of runs for him. I'd love for us to have a real solid interior line again, and he's the answer for that. Draft a stud LT, maybe move McIntosh over to LG and move Waters over to C. Shrug.

Other than that, I'm not real sure about what the market offers next year in FA.

Direckshun
07-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Ah. Here's (http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=All&y=2008) a list of 2008 FAs.

The guys that we could realistically acquire off that list that I'd like to pursue?

Eh... Let's see...

WR DJ Hackett
OG Alan Faneca
OG Ryan Lilja
CB Charles Tillman
SS Gerald Sensabaugh
DT Kindal Moorehead

Mr. Laz
07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Stupid question time.

no .... use it or lose it.

luv
07-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Ah. Here's (http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=All&y=2008) a list of 2008 FAs.

The guys that we could realistically acquire off that list that I'd like to pursue?

Eh... Let's see...

WR DJ Hackett
OG Alan Faneca
OG Ryan Lilja
CB Charles Tillman
SS Gerald Sensabaugh
SS Troy Polamalu <---- no chance in hell he becomes available
DT Kindal Moorehead
So, if we save our pennies this year and draft well, next year could be a very exciting offseason.

I'm looking forward to seeing what we're going to look like this year, but I'm already excited for next year as well.

Direckshun
07-01-2007, 01:58 PM
So, if we save our pennies this year and draft well, next year could be a very exciting offseason.

I'm looking forward to seeing what we're going to look like this year, but I'm already excited for next year as well.
We can't exactly save our pennies because we have an elite RB and an elite DE that we have to get deals done for. Bowe won't be cheap either.

But it's entirely likely we enter next offseason with over $10 mill to burn.

Valiant
07-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I didn't think you carry over cap space??? Is there a link or a site that shows you can??? If we can thats great but I didn't think you could carry over cap money...

chiefforlife
07-01-2007, 02:20 PM
I didn't think you carry over cap space??? Is there a link or a site that shows you can??? If we can thats great but I didn't think you could carry over cap money...

No you can NOT. Luv is being given bad advice. The cap money does not carry over.

Mr. Laz
07-01-2007, 02:25 PM
you can't ..... directshun is wrong

Direckshun
07-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, no it doesn't, not in the sense that you can tack on $16 million to next year's cap.

But if we're $16 million under this year, and we don't add on any more cap hits, than we're $16 million under next year -- probably more, because they raise the cap just about every year.

Chiefaholic
07-01-2007, 02:26 PM
You can't carry over money from season to season. You're allowed a hard cap on total money spent on the team each year which includes salary, prorated signing bonuses, and probable incentives when included into contracts. If we have any cash left, we're stupid not to spend it in some shape or form.

IMO... Give LJ his money, sign Allen to an extension, and look for a player or two that can help us with quality depth or a special teams standout.

Direckshun
07-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I didn't think you carry over cap space??? Is there a link or a site that shows you can???
No you can NOT. Luv is being given bad advice.
directshun is wrong
You can't carry over money from season to season.
Woo! The wolves are out tonight!

POND_OF_RED
07-01-2007, 03:36 PM
You think Roaf would come back for 16.2 million?

blueballs
07-01-2007, 03:50 PM
it has changed
unmet bonus money can be
moved to the next year's cap

blueballs
07-01-2007, 03:51 PM
there was a article awhile back
saying the Chiefs had more money
this cap because of unmet incentives

kcchiefsus
07-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Other things to consider that will give us more cap room for next year:

- Casey Wiegmann's $2,435,000 base salary comes off the books as this is the last year of his contract

- Greg Wesley could be traded or released before this season starts and he is scheduled to make $2,800,000 in base salary next year

- Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Sammy Knight, Eric Hicks, Ryan Sims, Dante Hall, Trent Green, and William Bartee all still count against the cap because of their remaining bonus money. That is likely a good chunk of change. Depending on whether we prorated the cap hit of any of these contracts over two years with the June 1st rule most if not all of these players will be completely off the books by next year

- The salary cap is likely to jump another $5 or $10 million next year

- There are other high priced veterans with large cap numbers for next year such as Kendrell Bell ($3,250,000), Ty Law ($6,500,000), Patrick Surtain ($5,650,000), etc. who can be released if we need to clear anymore cap room.

By my estimation we are in a great situation capwise for next year and the years to follow.

Direckshun
07-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I'll be very surprised if we keep all three of those gents (Bell, Law, Surtain) after our 2007 season.

I think Surtain's got a couple more years in him, but I'm pretty sure Law's on the verge of Done. And Bell? Meh... Hasn't fit in here as a full-timer, and isn't worth the cap hit as a situational guy.