PDA

View Full Version : I just burned the crap out of my hand...

Fried Meat Ball!
07-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Goddamn that hurt. The pad of my palm touched a cast iron pan that's been in the oven for the past 30 minutes. It blistered within about 10 seconds.

Phobia
07-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Mods, change his name to Fire Me Boy!

Phobia
07-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Wow, that was fast.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Pain's going away now... **** that hurt.

blueballs
07-01-2007, 03:52 PM
steam burns are the worst

RJ
07-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Dude, why the f*** did you do that?

Fried Meat Ball!
steam burns are the worst
I've not been burned a LOT, but this is certainly one of the worst I've had. Never had one blister so quickly.

Fried Meat Ball!
Dude, why the f*** did you do that?
:shrug:

Seemed like the thing to do at the time.

morphius
07-01-2007, 03:55 PM
That explains that smell of bacon...

Logical
07-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Were you cooking sausage? Sorry for your pain. Get some ice and aloe vera quick.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-01-2007, 03:56 PM
That explains that smell of bacon...
I can't tell... you callin' me fat or you callin' me a cop?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Were you cooking sausage? Sorry for your pain. Get some ice and aloe vera quick.
No, I was cooking a pork tenderloin for my lunches next week... accidentally turned off the timer and realized the tenderloin was still in the oven. Jumped up and used too small of a hot pad in my hurry to get it out of the oven (like some stupid instinct that said if I get it out 5 seconds earlier it will undo the 20 minutes of overcooking).

RJ
07-01-2007, 03:59 PM
:shrug:

Seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Well, that's gonna hurt for a while.

Was alcohol a factor in the accident?

Fried Meat Ball!
07-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, that's gonna hurt for a while.

Was alcohol a factor in the accident?
None whatsoever.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-01-2007, 04:00 PM
The aloe vera yes, but ice is bad for a burn. Cold water is where it's at.

Already done all that... just rubbed some Neosporin cream with pain killer in it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Soak your hand in milk. Seriously. The pain will go away. It's awesome.

morphius
07-01-2007, 04:04 PM
I can't tell... you callin' me fat or you callin' me a cop?
Sorry, obscure news reference...

http://blog.wired.com/tableofmalcontents/2006/11/robot_identifie.html

RJ
07-01-2007, 04:32 PM
None whatsoever.

Well, that's too bad. If you were drunk you'd have an excuse for doing it and you would feel the pain less.

For burn pain I recommend a cold beer and some bourbon. Drink the bourbon while holding a cold beer in the burned hand.

Mr. Laz
07-01-2007, 04:42 PM
i guess your alias is apropos

Simplex3
07-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Reminds me of the time I pulled a cookie sheet out of the oven using a towel instead of the proper equipment. My sister had overly greased the pan and the excess butter (or whatever) ran all off the sheet and all over my hand just about the time the fringe on the towel ignited. My hand was on fire from the wrist up. I spent what seemed like an eternity staring at that thinking "Holy s**t. My hand is on fire." before it finally registered that my hand was, in fact, on fire.

Threw it in the sink under some cold water, and other than the singed hairs and what felt like a mild sunburn I was Ok.

I worked at an Applebee's in HS and one of the waitresses grabbed a fajitas skillet. She forgot to put the little potholder thingy over the handle first. She went to the hospital.

tmax63
07-01-2007, 08:43 PM
The real good uns are the ones where you hear it sizzle before you feel the pain.

Simplex3
07-01-2007, 08:44 PM
The real good uns are the ones where you hear it sizzle before you feel the pain.
I have a scar from a soldering iron where I smelled it before I felt it. That sucked.

Groves
07-01-2007, 10:05 PM
That'll teach you to grill fish with a can of Pam nearby.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
07-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Working at a restaurant in high school one of the other guys working was screwing around near the grill; thought he would be cool and show off for a girl. Long story short he slipped, both hands flat on the 500* grill and HORRIBLE smell and scream. Poor bastard had his hands wrapped for 3 weeks.

Phobia
07-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Working at a restaurant in high school one of the other guys working was screwing around near the grill; thought he would be cool and show off for a girl. Long story short he slipped, both hands flat on the 500* grill and HORRIBLE smell and scream. Poor bastard had his hands wrapped for 3 weeks.

Reminds me of a scene in one of the dumbest hilarious sitcoms of all time, Get A Life. Chris Elliot's character had taken a job as a city health inspector and was doing an inspection at a restaurant. His character is a literal idiot, I mean stupid, which was what the show was all about.

He leaned on what he thought was a countertop and began speaking with the manager of the establishment when his hands began sizzling. He sniffed the air and exclaimed, "It smells like burning human flesh in here".....

My description does not do it justice.... let me see if I can find it on youtube.

el borracho
07-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I knew a guy who slipped while standing on a fryer. Lucky for him the fryer had been off for some time but it still burned him badly.

Logical
07-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I did not see it happen, but when I was working in fast foods supposedly an assistant in KC at one of the Church's Chickens tried to kill himself by putting his head in the deep fryer. I could never find confirmation but it was one hell of an imaginative story if not true.

morphius
07-01-2007, 11:12 PM
I did not see it happen, but when I was working in fast foods supposedly an assistant in KC at one of the Church's Chickens tried to kill himself by putting his head in the deep fryer. I could never find confirmation but it was one hell of an imaginative story if not true.
That would have been terrible, some serious amount of pain there.

KurtCobain
07-01-2007, 11:13 PM
muffins

luv
07-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Attempted would mean he wasn't successful. Could you imagine what he looks like now?

Phobia
07-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Attempted would mean he wasn't successful. Could you imagine what he looks like now?

Yes, I can.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1227788/2/istockphoto_1227788_twister_fries_smiling_face.jpg

Dunit35
07-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Don't do what an idiot does at my old job. For some reason she thinks immediately putting a bandaid over the burn will cure it.

Also, one time my old boss was cleaning out a fryer (which was still extremly hot) and his arm slipped into the oil. His arm got burnt all the way up to his elbow. Said it was the most pain he's ever felt.