PDA

View Full Version : Better baseball player?

Demonpenz
07-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Homerism aside Biggo getting his 3000 hits reminds me lots about when brett got his 3000th hit. So I am starting a pole. I would probably say brett because of his late game heroics but biggio did it all.

Demonpenz
07-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Catcher

Biggio was called up as a catcher midway through the 1988 season, having batted .344 in his minor league career. As a rookie, he caught Nolan Ryan's 100th win as an Astro. In 1989, his first full season, Biggio became the Astros' starting catcher. He won the Silver Slugger award in 1989. Biggio was a very speedy runner, and an adept base stealer. Astros' management, in an attempt to keep the rigors of catching from sapping Biggio's speed, tried him in the outfield part-time in 1990, as he had played 18 games there in the minors.

Second baseman

The Astros finally convinced Biggio to convert to second baseman in spring training 1992, even though Biggio had made the National League All-Star team as a catcher in 1991. Biggio made the All-Star team for the second time in 1992, becoming the first player in the history of baseball to be an All-Star at both catcher and second base. It is remarkably rare for a major league catcher to make a successful transition to middle infielder. If a catcher changes positions, it is usually to first base, or occasionally to outfield or third base.

Biggio became known as a reliable, hustling, consistent leadoff hitter, with unusual power for a second baseman. He holds the National League record for most home runs to lead off a game with fifty. His statistics reflect this, having consistently good marks in hitting, on-base percentage, hit-by-pitch, runs, stolen bases and doubles throughout his career.

Yogi Berra, when asked about Biggio being short for a catcher, said "Short catchers are better, because they don't have to stand up as far."

Knee injury

He epitomized consistency by playing 1,800 games without a trip to the disabled list until August 1, 2000, when he had a season-ending knee injury. In the play that Biggio was injured on, the Florida Marlins' Preston Wilson (who would later become Biggio's teammate) slid into second base, trying to stop a double play, and hit Biggio's planted left leg, tearing the anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in Biggio's knee. Biggio rebounded with a good season in 2001, but had a lackluster performance in 2002, with only a .253 average, his lowest since entering the league.

Outfielder

However, he improved slightly for the 2003 season, averaging .264 with 166 hits despite being asked by management to move to center field after the signing of free agent All-Star second baseman Jeff Kent. In 2004, he put up numbers more typical for his career, batting .281 with 178 hits, including a career high 24 homers. Biggio moved to yet another new position, left field, midway through the 2004 season to accommodate Carlos Beltrán who was acquired in a trade to help bolster the Astros' struggling offense.

Back to second

For the 2005 season Biggio moved back to second base after Jeff Kent left for the Dodgers. Biggio set a new career high by hitting 26 home runs and during the season hit his 1000th RBI becoming the second Astro with 1000 RBIs for Houston (the first being Jeff Bagwell). Biggio played in the World Series in 2005 for the first time in his eighteen year career. On May 23, 2006 Biggio became the 23rd player in MLB history with 10,000 at-bats.

Milestones
Biggio's hit counter, prior to the start of the 2007 season
Biggio's hit counter, prior to the start of the 2007 season

On June 28, 2007, Craig Biggio became the 27th player in the history of Major League Baseball to join the 3000 hit club, with a single against Colorado Rockies pitcher Aaron Cook. The game was stopped for the moment and Biggio shared the moment with his wife and children. Long time friend and former-teammate Jeff Bagwell emerged from the Astros clubhouse to congratulate him. Biggio became the 27th Major League baseball player to ever reach 3,000 hits in his career, and was the first Astros player to do so while on the team.

In anticipation of Biggio reaching 3,000 hits, the Astros had installed a digital counter just left of center field displaying his current hit total.

With 658 doubles, he is currently in 6th place on the all-time list, ahead of Hall of Famer Napoleon Lajoie in 7th, and is currently on pace to pass Hall of Famer George Brett (5th place with 665) by the end of the 2007 season. Biggio also holds the record for the most doubles by a right-handed hitter.

Biggio needs 14 home runs to become only the 7th player to join the 300-300 club (300 homers and 300 stolen bases). He would become the 1st player to reach this milestone playing for only one club. Accomplishing both of these feats he will also join a subset of the 300-300 club, the 300-300-3000 club to become only the 2nd member along with Willie Mays. If Biggio can do all of this in the 2007 season, he will become the first to accomplish them during the same season.

Stats

* Hit his 3000th hit on June 28, 2007 at 9:14 PM (Central), to a sold out crowd at Minute Maid Park.
* Is the only player in Major League Baseball history with at least 600 doubles, 3,000 hits, 250 homers and 400 steals.
* Led the majors in runs scored in 1995 and 1997 and in doubles in 1998 and 1999.
* In 1997, became the first player in baseball history not to hit into a single double play while playing an entire 162 game season. Two players, Augie Galan (1935) and Dick McAuliffe (1968), had previously played an entire season with the same feat, but did not play in as many games in their respective seasons.
* In 1997, scored 146 runs, which is the most of any National League player since the Phillies' Chuck Klein scored 152 runs in 1932.
* Tops the Astros' career list in games played, at-bats, runs scored, hits, doubles and extra-base hits.
* Holds the record for most regular season games played before his first World Series appearance with 2,564.
* In 1998 became the second player to have 50 stolen bases and 50 doubles in the same season. The only other person to accomplish this is Hall of Famer Tris Speaker.
* Holds the National League record for most lead-off home runs in a career with 52. He is 2nd in MLB behind Rickey Henderson (81).
* Is a 7-Time All Star and considered by many to be a future Hall of Famer.

Demonpenz
07-01-2007, 07:17 PM
brett Batting average .305
Hits 3,154
Home Runs 317

Demonpenz
07-01-2007, 07:18 PM
His 3,154 career hits are the most by any third baseman in major league history, and 15th all-time. Baseball historian Bill James regards him as the second-best third baseman of all time, trailing only his contemporary, Mike Schmidt. Brett was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1999, with what was then the fourth-highest voting percentage in baseball history (98.2%), trailing only Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, and Ty Cobb. In 2007, Cal Ripken Jr. passed Brett with 98.5% of the vote. He received the highest percentage for an infielder ever, higher than all-time outfielders Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, and Joe DiMaggio. That same year, he ranked Number 55 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Baseball Players, and was nominated as a finalist for the Major League Baseball All-Century Team. Brett is one of four players in MLB history to accumulate 3000 hits, 300 home runs, and a career .300 batting average (the others are Stan Musial, Willie Mays, and Hank Aaron). Most indicative of his hitting style, Brett is fifth on the career doubles list, with 665 (trailing Tris Speaker, Pete Rose, Stan Musial, and Ty Cobb). Combining his superior hitting skill with his great defensive ability and team focus (& humility), George Brett is arguably one of the most complete baseball players of all time.

kcfanXIII
07-01-2007, 07:19 PM
george brett. take your ASS-tro bullshit somewhere else. really i have no basis for my argument other than i'm a huge royals fan, and brett is the greatest royal ever.

Demonpenz
07-01-2007, 07:19 PM
the homeruns by biggio at minute maid were nice but the astrodome was hard as hell to hit out of too.

Deberg_1990
07-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Id have to go with Brett overall. No disrespect to Biggio though. He is a great player too.

Demonpenz
07-01-2007, 07:20 PM
george brett. take your ASS-tro bullshit somewhere else. really i have no basis for my argument other than i'm a huge royals fan, and brett is the greatest royal ever.

yeah i am a homer I Just think when biggio career is over he is going surpass brett in every catigory

Bill Parcells
07-01-2007, 07:21 PM
This is a joke, right? LMAO

Sam Hall
07-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Three batting titles in three different decades...

Deberg_1990
07-01-2007, 07:25 PM
yeah i am a homer I Just think when biggio career is over he is going surpass brett in every catigory

Except batting average. The longer Biggio plays, the lower his gets....

Whats Biggio's stats in the postseaon.? Brett was magical in the postseason.

Sam Hall
07-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Biggio was never the best player in baseball in his prime like Brett was.

Bill Parcells
07-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Biggio was never the best player in baseball in his prime like Brett was.
Some other notes. Brett was fast in his prime and played great defense..the guy was a great clutch hitter, and absolutely killed the Yankees in the playoffs..he hit 3 home runs off of Catfish Hunter in one playoff game. besides the moon shot off of Goose Gossage in 1980.

I'm a Yankee fan, not a Royals fan. but you can't even compare Biggio to him.

Bill Parcells
07-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Here's one of the few times Biggio and Brett have been together on film.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fQZ9fkxLPKQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fQZ9fkxLPKQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Fruit Ninja
07-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Brettt, but Biggio is no slouch. He was an allstar caliber player what what 3 different positions? winning golden gloves in each position? This is all by memory, i may be wrong about this.

I am not a Royal or Astro homer either, I am a honest Dodger fan here posting.

RJ
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
I was thinking this was a no-brainer to Brett but as I looked into it more it wasn't so clear cut. I'd always thought of him as a small-ball player but with nearly 300 HR's that's obviously not the case. Combine that with 400+ SB's and that's a player history will look on quite favorably. Then there's the fact that he'll soon overtake Brett for 5th place all-time in doubles.

While I wouldn't say Biggio has been a superior player to Brett, I'll definitely say he's comparable. The skill sets are not the same but the results are similar.