PDA

View Full Version : Promising start to the Trent Green era...

DaWolf
04-23-2001, 09:39 PM
Although still in the process of moving from his hometown of St. Louis to Kansas City, Green emphasized the importance of attending Monday's dinner and expressed a desire to establish a rapport with his new city.

"It was very clear after talking with Carl Peterson and Dick Vermeil that this evening was a big deal for the organization, and I wanted to be a part of it," Green said. "I've been putting on a lot of miles getting over here, but it's a close trip and one that's definitely worthwhile."

Although champing at the bit to get started, Green will not be able to participate in this weekend's minicamp because he is still rehabilitating a surgically repaired left knee. Green said he'll attend the workouts and do his best to familiarize himself with the team's personnel.
"I'm continuing with the rehab portion of it and keeping up on that by being at the complex every day," Green said. "I can't do the things I was hoping to do in terms of the minicamp, but what's important is having the opportunity to meet my teammates. I think that's very important. Those relationships you build in the off-season carry over to training camp and the regular season."

Now, I was what you would call a certified Grbacker, I always back our QB's (unless they are named Warren "Choke Artist" Moon or Bubby Brister) but it will be nice having a QB who will be living in KC instead of Cleveland wearing that Indians hat, and put a priority on building relationships with the teammates from the get go. Hopefully this guy does some good things here. LEt me rephrase that, for the 12th pick in the draft, he BETTER do many good things here...

http://chiefszone.com/images/042101/chief.green.jpg

keg in kc
04-23-2001, 10:05 PM
I don't think we can downplay the importance of this. This is like a polar opposite to Grbac, IMO (and I was an ardent Grbac supporter, as well).

We'll see what happens on the field, but so far I haven't gotten anything but good vibes since Trent Green arrived.

I'm too optimistic, this just isn't like me. I'm a dark and stormy kind of guy...

Otter
04-23-2001, 10:26 PM
Just got done reading the latest article (http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/sports.pat,sports/3acc9dac.423,.html) on him.

He's definatly playing his cards right. Kissing the babies and helping old ladies across the road all with a big smile and a wave.

He seems happy to be in KC and he's quickly building up a good raport with the community. If he's 1/2 as good/tough as he is charasmatic we'll be in great shape.

philfree
04-24-2001, 01:27 AM
Just like in the movie 'Gladiator" our new protagonist (Trent Green) must win the people. With support of the fans Trent will be even better then before he was exciled to the bench. I'm not sure exactly why but I sense a coralation between the 'Gladiator' and our acquisition of Trent Green.

PhilFree

Packfan
04-24-2001, 11:16 AM
"promising start to the Trent Green era"??

Did the season start? How did he do in his first game?

Who gives a rats *** whether he develops a relationship with the fans. He doesnt need to win over the fans, he needs to help his team win. If you want good guys that are fan friendly, go watch the Royals.

Boy, the priorities of some of you guys....!

58Forever
04-24-2001, 12:08 PM
Elvis who?....I was an avid Grbacker too but he's gone...so F him...Green is the guy I've wanted since day one...now we have him...I'm very excited...and Holmes only adds to our offense...

If Green is healthy, this offense will make last year look like it was standing still...:D

I see Pack Rat is in rare form today...yeah, you are right, his main concern is winning games...but if he wants to make his teammates respect him, unlike Grbac, he needs to take these baby steps...it can only help him and the team...and that translates into wins...

Gaz
04-24-2001, 12:45 PM
Green being a personable young man may not win any more games, but it is a refreshing change from Grbac. He will swing more fans to his side, even those who were opposed to the trade. More enthusiasm for the team is never a bad thing.

I agree that this is a promising start and see no reason to read any more into it than that.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still waiting to hear about that knee.

Iowanian
04-24-2001, 02:22 PM
for reasons to jump onto the Green Wagon..I will support him as the Chiefs QB but will feel better if I can find a reason to "like" him. A little sugar in my tea always helps.

and Pack, Its nice to see that the new Spring hasn't found any fresher Daisy's growing from your sour arse....It IS important that He win the city...WE are the folks who pay to attend games and given the Grbasshole debacle...I think He knows its important.....and if his knee is still sore...what in the h@ll else is he going to do for the next month?

DaWolf
04-24-2001, 02:41 PM
Jeez Ken, nice to see I'm able to get under your skin so easily. You sure are feisty this morning. Hey, if and when he wins games, that is what will be the determining factor. No doubt about that. However, if you would get your head out of your *** and stop trying to critisize everything, you will realize that it is VERY IMPORTANT for a guy to have his priorities in order and want to get things rolling from a chemistry standpoint and from an involvement with the city standpoint. Otherwise we're looking at Steve Bono III right from the get go. If we want our QB to be a leader, I do not see where this approach that he is taking is a step in the wrong direction. And I am encouraged by it. My priority is winning, and I understant that to win, you must be able to dedicate yourself to your football team, want to play in the city, and want to know your teammates, work with them, and lead them on the field. Of course, the real test comes from seeing how well he is able to do it...

http://chiefszone.com/images/020900/spt.thomas3.jpg

bishop_74
04-24-2001, 02:54 PM
Geez, I didn't think it was hard to interperet "Promising start to the Trent Green era..."!!?? Maybe I missed in the body where it actually mentioned that Trent Green had taken us to the SB... can someone point that out to me?

HC_Chief
04-24-2001, 02:54 PM
How's <i>this</i> for 'promising':

<table width="50%" border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0><tr><td><b>QB</td><td><b>G</td><td><b>GS</td><td><b>TD</td><td><b>INT</td><td><b>Rating</td></tr><tr><td>Trent Green</td><td>24</td><td>19</td><td>39</td><td>16</td><td>88.1</td></tr><tr><td>Brian Griese</td><td>25</td><td>23</td><td>33</td><td>19</td><td>86.5</td></tr></table>

These are career #s, people. With an inferior surrounding cast for most of his career, Green has outperformed the AFCW 'darling' Griese.

We got ourselves a <i>real</i> QB this time...

ExtremeChief
04-24-2001, 05:07 PM
I definitely like Green's tude better than Grbac's. The fans will surely support him better than Elvis. Hopefully Green will stay healthy, and if so, this team should do well in the next few years.

hoping I never hear "Bubby Brister era"...

WisChief
04-24-2001, 08:15 PM
I'm definately not yet sold on Green bringing us to the promise land, but........ VD and his crew know how to get to the Super Bowl and WIN it and they know the people they need to do just that. GO GREEN!!

BTW - that a boy Ken, I needed a good laugh. :rolleyes:

Packfan
04-24-2001, 09:44 PM
I got some news for you guys. If Trent Green starts thowing down and outs to defensive backs, I guarantee you will be treating him just like you treated Grbac. Doesnt matter how many friends Green makes, if he sucks, you will let him have it and try to run him out of town.

DaWolf
04-25-2001, 12:11 AM
Well duh. I remember all the booing Favre got when he was doing exactly that when he was just getting started. We would have booed Montana out of town if every other throw was an INT and he kept getting shut out by teams like the Lambs.

But do you not agree that it is better for him to build the relationships so that if he does succeed, he's going to be just that much better because everyone is behind him? Better that than digging a Grbacish hole so that when he did have a pro bowl caliber season with no running game to support him, everyone still hated him...

Packfan
04-25-2001, 09:20 AM
Da Wolf,

I think having other guys on the team like you is overrated. Michael Jordan didnt have many friends on his teams in Chicago, in fact, he often got into fights during practice.

I know you guys are fired up about Trent Green. Thats good, but lets not go overboard with it. A player making friends on the team is hardly getting off to "a great start".

Plus, nobody knows for sure what Grbac's relationship was with his teamates. Whether he was the most popular guy in the locker room or not doesnt make up for bone head after bone head play in his career.

The "Green era" will be marked by what he does on the field, not how many good things he does in the community or locker room.

Gaz
04-25-2001, 09:31 AM
Of course it is “getting off to a great start.”

Green is personable, likeable and is saying all the right things. The Media loves him and the R&G Faithful are comparing his PR-savvy comments to Grbac’s misguided ones. He is rapidly converting a large section of doubters to his side.

Will it effect his play? Who knows. Perhaps public approval will make him play better, perhaps not.

It certainly cannot hurt.

This is a great start. Whether or not it has any effect on the field has yet to be seen. But it is a promising start.

xoxo~
Gaz
Looking forward to liking his QB.

Packfan
04-25-2001, 09:37 AM
Gaz,

I doubt you will like Trent Green if he leads the Chiefs to a 5-11 season, regardless of many nice things he does off the field.

Performance is what its all about, not whether people like you.

ct
04-25-2001, 09:40 AM
Of course, it will be much easier to like our new QB, when he's not above a fan fav on the depth chart. Certainly no QB contoversy in KC!!

I'm certainly pleased he's getting off on the right foot regarding the teammates, fans, media, etc. But the point remains, if he were to flame on the field, Arrowhead will not be too kind after coughing up our 1st rounder. Add onto that the 2nd(AND 3rd next year) for DV who made this happen to get Green.

Confidence is high that Green is the best guy for us to start off decently, rather than struggle greatly early in the season. But what happens if we do not see early encouragement from our new Chiefs?

ct
just posing a Q

Iowanian
04-25-2001, 09:40 AM
its APRIL in case you haven't noticed.....and since his knee is still sore, we won't get a peak at the first minicamp......his personability is about all we can't find for referecence at the moment.

we'll be more able to judge his on field performance say in August in TC and preseason....until then THIS IS A GOOD THING...

Anyone will tell you It IS easier to work on a group project at your job with people you tend to LIKE...but maybe you are Captain Personality at your job and everyone picks you first at kickball.

I'd much rather see something to LIKE about my QB.

Read the TG article.....off field accomplishments ARE valuable to a city....state..team following.

I'm swinging through KC in the morning, If you want I'll throw in my channel locks and help pull that Burr that is burried in your saddle.

Gaz
04-25-2001, 09:44 AM
Packfan-

I will explain again.

This is a great start. Green is a nice guy who is charming the R&G Faithful in the Media. He comes to KC under somewhat of a cloud [draft picks, Rams animosity, bum knee].

That may make no difference come game time, but it is still a great start. That is all this thread said. No promises of performance, no predictions of greatness, no suggestion that good PR leads to TDs.

Simply a recognition that Green is starting his career for the R&G in a positive, PR-savvy manner.

I do not see why you feel the need to make more of it than that.

xoxo~
Gaz
Will judge performance on the field when there is some.