sd4chiefs
07-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Sorry if repost.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=67&p=2&c=655744

Don't Believe the Hype: LJ to Dallas?

Larry Johnson By Mike Fisher
TheRanchReport.com
Posted Jul 1, 2007

IRVING, Texas -- There could be a sliver of truth in every rumor. A grain of reality in every gossip item. Think of it like professional wrestling, which is all fake. ... except for the dying part.

The speculation about a trade that would ship Larry Johnson to Dallas is like that. It's all rumors; I've dug around Valley Ranch, trying to confirm that there have been substantive discussions with Kansas City regarding the disgruntled superstar running back, and all I got from it is an empty shovel, an empty notepad and a sore back.

Except for one sliver. One grain.

"The (Dallas) running backs don't offer that 'wow' factor,'' says a source close to the innerworkings of the Cowboys. "There isn't that guy who, when he gets his hands on the ball, makes everybody stand up and take notice.''

That observation is a far, far cry from "Therefore, we're going to trade for L.J.'' It is also a far, far cry from saying, "JuJo, MB3 and Tyson Thompson stink.''

But it is an acknowledgement of sorts that Julius Jones isn't considered to be as "special'' as we thought him to be as a rookie, that Marion Barber isn't yet considered to be anything more than solid (rather than spectacular), and that Thompson -- who I'm told has done intense offseason work in an attempt to add flexibility to his speedy-but-stiff running style -- isn't considered at all.

Contrast that with the Chiefs' Johnson, the Pro Bowler with fresh legs and a fresh mind and a confrontational approach to running the football. He's probably the best thing this side of LaDainian Tomlinson, a record-setting power back who is also a scoring machine and a home-run hitter.

Larry Johnson has that elusive "wow'' factor.

Maybe Julius Jones gets it back. This is a kid who once talked about rushing for a crazy number of yards. ... only none of us thought it was all that crazy at the time. Maybe MB3 gets more carries and demonstates that he does indeed have it. If Barber is truly a guy who gets stronger with more carries, maybe you gotta give him more carries. Or heck, maybe you hold onto whatever ammunition it would take to pry Johnson from Kansas City (a first? a second?) and use it in next year's draft to secure Darren McFadden, who is going to be seeing a lot of ol' Razorback Jerry Jones this fall every Saturday in Arkansas.

The Cowboys have a question mark. The Chiefs, though, have it worse -- because the situation teases them in that they have the answer AND the question mark, all rolled into one.

The Chiefs are in for a difficult summer. Johnson is slated to make $1.7 million. He'll pass. He'll sit. He'll mope. He'll whine. He'll argue that he IS the Chiefs' chance to be a contender, and his 416 carries last year says it is so.

He's 27, so he's in his prime. Oh, and "27'' is probably a pivotal number in another way: One report says that's how much in guaranteed money it'll take Kansas City to get possible holdout LJ to show up for work.

Do the Cowboys want that price tag, in terms of dollars and tradeable assets? Do the Cowboys want Larry Johnson, alleged to be something of a flake? Do the Cowboys want that "wow factor'' at running back?

I don't know that they want it in the form of Larry Johnson. But I know that

Ebolapox
07-02-2007, 03:11 PM
sh*t, what are they offering? we'd be dumb not to at least listen to offers on ANY of our players if we're trying to get younger.

DJJasonp
07-02-2007, 03:11 PM
before the draft...would have believed it.....now...no way.

OnTheWarpath58
07-02-2007, 03:12 PM
There's been another rumor floating around the past few days about the Packers as well......

DMAC
07-02-2007, 03:15 PM
"The (Dallas) running backs don't offer that 'wow' factor,'' says a source close to the innerworkings of the Cowboys. "There isn't that guy who, when he gets his hands on the ball, makes everybody stand up and take notice.''

It's amazing that this quote can make someone write an article about a rumor that they invented.

What a stupid article.

boogblaster
07-02-2007, 03:20 PM
WOW upside is MOM ....

OnTheWarpath58
07-02-2007, 03:20 PM
The SI article I just posted also mentioned LJ still being shopped.....

Hog Farmer
07-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Its true, I heard it at the pig farm this morning. I overheard one sow grunting something about Lj and Dallas. Then I heard them grunt something about Gonzo going to Washington for a 5th and a 7th something er other. And then something about the Chiefs trading off Edwards, Harris and DJ cause they didn't want the team to be any good.

Skip Towne
07-02-2007, 03:29 PM
WOW upside is MOM ....
And backward it's still WOW.

CoMoChief
07-02-2007, 03:30 PM
If this is true, this just once again proves that Carl and co. are cheap. And this will be the biggest loss the Chiefs will ever have if we trade away LJ.

LJ is the only thing this offense has outside Tony G, and is Croyle's safety net. If we plan to be competitive at all we must not trade him away.

BigRock
07-02-2007, 03:31 PM
This rumor seems to have more steam with Giants, 'Skins, and Eagles fans who are worried about seeing LJ in the division than it does with Chiefs or Cowboys fans.

nychief
07-02-2007, 03:33 PM
wow. a story with out a source or point. complete speculation. did go chief or any of the other board "journalists" write this...?

Coogs
07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
sh*t, what are they offering? we'd be dumb not to at least listen to offers on ANY of our players if we're trying to get younger.

The Cowboys have 2 firsts in next yers draft. Their own, and the one that belongs to the Browns from the Brady Quinn deal. That might be tempting, as that would give us 3 first round draft picks next season.

Clevelands could be pretty high. I'll see if I can find their schedule.

htismaqe
07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
If this is true, this just once again proves that Carl and co. are cheap. And this will be the biggest loss the Chiefs will ever have if we trade away LJ.

LJ is the only thing this offense has outside Tony G, and is Croyle's safety net. If we plan to be competitive at all we must not trade him away.

We might be able to get 2 first-rounders for him. **** being "competitive".

htismaqe
07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
The Cowboys have 2 firsts in next yers draft. Their own, and the one that belongs to the Browns from the Brady Quinn deal. That might be tempting, as that would give us 3 first round draft picks next season.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Direckshun
07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Dallas has two firsts next year.

Drool.

htismaqe
07-02-2007, 03:48 PM

Drool.

My thoughts exactly.

Fat Elvis
07-02-2007, 03:49 PM
I will say this: The Ranch Report is EVERYTHING Warpaint Illustrated isn't. They actually have sources that have flesh and blood and breathe and have some connection to the world of football.

They say it is pure rumor; they don't claim it is some type of "inside scoop."

It is an interesting proposition, and Jerry Jones does something Carl doesn't--try to actually win football games.

I'm sure it is all a fool's dream, but hey, it is the offseason and we are Chiefs fans under Carl Peterson guidance.....

Cochise
07-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Drool.

Sold.

Stinger
07-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Cleveland's Regular Schedule

Date Opponent Network Kickoff Results

Sunday, September 9 vs PITTSBURGH STEELERS CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, September 16 vs CINCINNATI BENGALS CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, September 23 @ Oakland Raiders CBS 4:05 PM

Sunday, September 30 vs BALTIMORE RAVENS CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 7 @ New England Patriots CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 14 vs MIAMI DOLPHINS CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, October 28 @ St. Louis Rams CBS 1:00 PM

Sunday, November 4 vs SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOX 4:05 PM

Sunday, November 11 @ Pittsburgh Steelers 1:00 PM

Sunday, November 18 @ Baltimore Ravens 1:00 PM

Sunday, November 25 vs HOUSTON TEXANS 1:00 PM

Sunday, December 2 @ Arizona Cardinals 4:05 PM

Sunday, December 9 @ New York Jets 4:15 PM

Sunday, December 16 vs BUFFALO BILLS 1:00 PM

Sunday, December 23 @ Cincinnati Bengals 1:00 PM

Sunday, December 30 vs SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS 1:00 PM

OnTheWarpath58
07-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Looks like a Top 5 pick, at least.

4-12.

DaneMcCloud
07-02-2007, 03:53 PM

Two first round picks for LJ? Highly unlikely. Maybe the Browns pick and the Cowboy's number 2 or 3 (with one of their backs thrown in the deal - Jones or Barber) but I can't see Jerry Jones giving up both their number one choices.

DaFace
07-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Is there a reason the second half of the final sentence was left off? Do you have something against "they aren't certain they have it now." or something? Huh? ;)

OnTheWarpath58
07-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Two first round picks for LJ? Highly unlikely. Maybe the Browns pick and the Cowboy's number 2 or 3 (with one of their backs thrown in the deal - Jones or Barber) but I can't see Jerry Jones giving up both their number one choices.

Yeah, not even JJ is dumb enough to spend 2 firsts.....

Maybe a 1st/2nd or 1st/3rd.

This is all BS anyway. You would think if we were even thinking about trading LJ, they would have tried before the draft.

Or, maybe no one is all that interested in giving up early draft picks for a guy who just came off a 400+ carry season and wants a $27M signing bonus....

Reaper16
07-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Two number ones sound pretty damn nice to me. :drool:

Coogs
07-02-2007, 04:03 PM

I don't agree. I could see it happening if the Cowboys really want LJ. If they are primed to make a Super Bowl run this season, and think LJ is the final piece, then their 1st round pick would be #32. The Browns could be relatively high as their schedule looks to be pretty tough, but they have that choice by a simple trade down of a few spots anyway, so I could see it working if LJ is the final piece for the Cowboys.

Remember, Jones is not a real patient man.

Simply Red
07-02-2007, 04:06 PM
2-first rounders + we have Holmes coming back. :rolleyes:

Frazod
07-02-2007, 04:12 PM

If we make this deal, ours will definitely be high. :$2500:

blackhawk
07-02-2007, 04:15 PM
two #1 picks sold!

Coogs
07-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Very true! But it has a chance to be high even if we keep LJ.

OnTheWarpath58
07-02-2007, 04:20 PM

I could live with that.

2 picks in the first 5, with another likely in the 20-32 range?

Sold.

(Not that it will happen, but.....)

Rooster
07-02-2007, 04:20 PM
The top left tackle in next years draft would be nice.

Oh how I love the offseason. :banghead:

Bwana
07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
For two first rounders, I would send him packing as well.

dirk digler
07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
This is a no brainer if we received Dallas 2 1st rounders.

Frazod
07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Very true! But it has a chance to be high even if we keep LJ.

I didn't mean it was a bad thing. And I agree, we could suck regardless.

But without LJ, we're going to get beat like a rented mule.

eazyb81
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
This is a no brainer if we received Dallas 2 1st rounders.

Exactly.

So if we all think this is a great deal, then that should tell everyone it's not realistic. We have a natural inclination to overvalue LJ since he's on our team.

If the deal went through, i'm guessing we would get only one 1st, and then a midround pick or so.

Deberg_1990
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Larry Johnson has that elusive "wow'' factor.

and this is exactly why im torn about trading LJ. Sure, RB is the easiest position to replace, but guys like him are special. We waited forever to get an "elite" RB. we finally have one and now we just want to get rid of him?? Hes a sure thing, draft picks are not.

dirk digler
07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Exactly.

So if we all think this is a great deal, then that should tell everyone it's not realistic. We have a natural inclination to overvalue LJ since he's on our team.

Thanks for messing up the dream. :harumph:

LJ is my favorite player and has been for the last 2 seasons and I would hate to lose him but for 2 first rounders you would have to be stupid not to take it. Of course we have the genius CP running the show so he would find a way to **** it up.

sedated
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
We waited forever to get an "elite" RB.

how soon we forget

Halfcan
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
I bet I coud write an article like that, qoute an unnamed source and make up some shit while surrounding it with stuff fans already know.

Dallas RB's don't have the wow factor- why cant you name the source for that quote-how gay. He made it up is my guess.

JBucc
07-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I would take two firsts without hesitation, but I don't think Jerry Jones is that stupid. Why give up two firsts and have to pay LJ a massive contract when you could keep those picks, and have your choice of McFadden/Slaton/Stewart/Rice to go along with Marion Barber.

DMAC
07-02-2007, 04:43 PM
wtf?!

have you forgotten about the guy right before LJ?

what was his name?
He ran behind a great line the entire time he was here.

LJ did great last year with a sub par filler line.

sedated
07-02-2007, 04:46 PM
He ran behind a great line the entire time he was here.

LJ did great last year with a sub par filler line.

he still put up elite numbers.

and nobody argued he wasn't an elite runner at the time.

Frazod
07-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Holmes is gone. He's just been stringing Carl along in a not-veiled-at-all attempt at weaseling free cash for as long as possible. Much like my hair, he ain't coming back.

ct
07-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I do not want to trade LJ, but if Dallas were to set down an offer of 2 1st round picks, including Cleveland's sure top 10, I wouldn't think twice. You make that deal.

Now let's wake up, it ain't gonna happen.

DTLB58
07-02-2007, 05:17 PM
How many years did we struggle to find an elite RB? Now we have one and all everybody does is talk about trading him! :banghead: :mad: :cuss:

Halfcan
07-02-2007, 05:21 PM
RUMOR:

LJ will play for the KC Chiefs next year. Quoting an unnamed source out of Arrowhead-LJ has the "wow" factor-so they like him.

sd4chiefs
07-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Is there a reason the second half of the final sentence was left off? Do you have something against "they aren't certain they have it now." or something? Huh? ;)

I was in a hurry to start this thread before someone else did.

Frankie
07-02-2007, 06:23 PM
How many years did we struggle to find an elite RB? Now we have one and all everybody does is talk about trading him! :banghead: :mad: :cuss:
Before LJ, we had Priest. Don't forget.

HemiEd
07-02-2007, 06:26 PM
and this is exactly why im torn about trading LJ. Sure, RB is the easiest position to replace, but guys like him are special. We waited forever to get an "elite" RB. we finally have one and now we just want to get rid of him?? Hes a sure thing, draft picks are not.

Buzzkill! No fair talking sense! I don't like him, but he is a great RB. This team spent a lot of number 1s on busts.

Logical
07-02-2007, 06:38 PM
We might be able to get 2 first-rounders for him. **** being "competitive".Amen

Logical
07-02-2007, 06:42 PM

We had an elite runningback before LJ in Priest Holmes, how could people forget.

greg63
07-02-2007, 06:43 PM

LJ is still a young man.

Valiant
07-02-2007, 06:43 PM
I would take two firsts without hesitation, but I don't think Jerry Jones is that stupid. Why give up two firsts and have to pay LJ a massive contract when you could keep those picks, and have your choice of McFadden/Slaton/Stewart/Rice to go along with Marion Barber.

Some owners think getting championships are more important then saving money...

CoMoChief
07-02-2007, 06:50 PM
In Mike Cloud, we trust.

HemiEd
07-02-2007, 06:58 PM
In Mike Cloud, we trust.

and Ethan Horton, Greg Hill, Sheehee etc. etc.

Sully
07-02-2007, 06:58 PM
We had an elite runningback before LJ in Priest Holmes, how could people forget.
And before that?
Mike Cloud
Greg Hill
Rashaan Shehee
Donnell Bennett
Jesse Haynes

PinkFloyd
07-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Oh its true !!! My best friend has a doctor friend who's sister knows this firefighter in India and his cousin has a midget brother on his aunts side of the family, and this aunt's cousin ran into her brother who's friend is a proctologist and one of his patients moms said that her sister found out from a guy who goes noodling with this other guy and his girlfriend was found having sex with another woman and SHE told me it was true !!!

He's a goner !!!

greg63
07-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Oh its true !!! My best friend has a doctor friend who's sister knows this firefighter in India and his cousin has a midget brother on his aunts side of the family, and this aunt's cousin ran into her brother who's friend is a proctologist and one of his patients moms said that her sister found out from a guy who goes noodling with this other guy and his girlfriend was found having sex with another woman and SHE told me it was true !!!

He's a goner !!!
LOL!!!

Was she wearing a red bikini?

splatbass
07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
IF Dallas was willing to give up 2 first round picks for LJ ( a BIG if) that would mean that they believe that they can get more production from him than from the two picks. If that is true for them, why wouldn't it be true for us, especially with CP making the picks?

I think it would be insane to give up a proven RB for two unknowns that could as easily be busts as anything. I like to gamble, but those odds aren't very good, I wouldn't take that bet.

ClevelandBronco
07-02-2007, 07:30 PM

He's a goner !!!

Thank you, Simone.

http://www.danegerus.com/weblog/images/BenStein.jpg

Coogs
07-02-2007, 07:39 PM
IF Dallas was willing to give up 2 first round picks for LJ ( a BIG if) that would mean that they believe that they can get more production from him than from the two picks.

Not necessarily. Who is the favorite next season in the NFC? Saints? Bears? Seahawks? 49ers? Panthers? None of those would appear to be an obstical that would be too great for the Cowboys to overcome this season IF having a stud RB is all they lack. And it could be. Their WR's are solid. TE is good. QB... ? O-line is OK. Defense is pretty solid. Add LJ and that team jumps to the front of the NFC IMO.

Now KC on the other hand has to get past New England, Indy, San Diego, Baltimore, and on-and-on in the AFC. Now would be the time to aquire picks and more talent.

Again, just my $.02.

PinkFloyd
07-02-2007, 07:49 PM
LOL!!!

Was she wearing a red bikini?

No.... But the guys who went noodling were... It was just a very very sick sight...

ChiefsfaninPA
07-02-2007, 07:49 PM
WWGCD?

Logical
07-02-2007, 07:57 PM
And before that?
Mike Cloud
Greg Hill
Rashaan Shehee
Donnell Bennett
Jesse Haynes

I am merely pointing out that LJ is not the only or even the only recent fantastic RB we have had. I hate it when people talk about LJ like he is the only great RB we have had.

Mile High Mania
07-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Jerry Jones isn't giving up 2 first rounders for a player again... he did that for Galloway a while back and was burned. Jones was on the TICKET (sports radio 1310) recently and said he'd never do that again.

Also, that Browns #1 pick in 2008 could very well put them in a spot to land McFadden.

Jones is a FA after this season and who knows if Barber is "the guy", but I don't see this deal happening.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-02-2007, 08:36 PM
but I don't see this deal happening.

You mean you hope it doesn't happen!
:)

Mile High Mania
07-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Honestly - it doesn't matter to me what KC does with LJ. They'll either sign him to a huge deal or trade him for a mix of picks/players.

If they traded him now... KC is nearly a lock to battle Oakland for worst in the AFCW. Sure they'd have picks, but I'll worry about that later.

ClevelandBronco
07-02-2007, 08:45 PM
You mean you hope it doesn't happen!
:)

Dude, it'll never happen for a pair of #1s, and if it happens for an #1 and a mid-rounder, I hope it happens tonight. That would virtually assure that Denver would get two wins against KC this season, and it would be a crapshoot that you'd get compensation that could make a difference for the next couple of seasons after.

chubychecker
07-02-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't even think we need both #1's to pull the trigger on this deal, Browns' pick with a middle rounder 2-4, and one of their backs in return would be plenty. Remember him coming to camp or even to play this season is no sure thing.

B_Ambuehl
07-02-2007, 10:21 PM
IF Dallas was willing to give up 2 first round picks for LJ ( a BIG if) that would mean that they believe that they can get more production from him than from the two picks. If that is true for them, why wouldn't it be true for us, especially with CP making the picks?

Because regardless of how productive LJ is for us it will take probably 2 more years for the rest of the team to get to a point where they can be competitive and by then LJ will likely be average.

Either way, in 3 years it's likely LJ either isn't around, or if he is around he's declined majorly. So if a good offer is available you might as well get those draft picks now even if it means sucking majorly the next couple of years.

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I'd do it for a 1st and a 2nd.

Logical
07-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Honestly - it doesn't matter to me what KC does with LJ. They'll either sign him to a huge deal or trade him for a mix of picks/players.

If they traded him now... KC is nearly a lock to battle Oakland for worst in the AFCW. Sure they'd have picks, but I'll worry about that later.

We are not going to be competing with Denver for a playoff spot this year with Croyle or Huard at QB so it really does not make a difference to me either way.

blueballs
07-02-2007, 10:51 PM
there is no street cred
in Dallas

Deberg_1990
07-02-2007, 10:56 PM
there is no street cred
in Dallas

There is almost no bigger stage than the "Dallas Cowboys'

They are pretty much guranteed at least 6 or 7 nationally televised games a year no matter what the their record is. Its a law set by congress or something....

LJ would love it.

Ebolapox
07-02-2007, 11:49 PM
LJ is still a young man.

eh, sure he's 'young,' but when throwing in the fact that he just came off a 400+ carry season, he's not that 'fresh' anymore.

Guru
07-02-2007, 11:50 PM
eh, sure he's 'young,' but when throwing in the fact that he just came off a 400+ carry season, he's not that 'fresh' anymore.
Hi Mecca.

Ebolapox
07-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi Mecca.

yeah. thanks. I throw my heart and soul into this team, literally weep after the 93, 95, and 97 playoff losses, faithfully follow the team with optimism that defies logic, yet I'm mecca.

f*ck you.

greg63
07-02-2007, 11:59 PM

Well, even given his record breaking 416 carries last year, I think he'll be alright; Herm has alluded to not putting that much pressure on him this year, and he's had the entire off season to recuperate. JMHO

Sam Hall
07-03-2007, 12:02 AM
I hope the author didn't get paid to write that.

Ebolapox
07-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Well, even given his record breaking 416 carries last year, I think he'll be alright; Herm has alluded to not putting that much pressure on him this year, and he's had the entire off season to recuperate. JMHO

eh, I sure as hell hope so. look, I'm not for trading LJ... I'm just realistic enough to know that we need a true rebuild. we haven't really rebuilt in eighteen years, since DT was a rookie... if we can get two firsts for him, we can finally rebuild.

I don't WANT us to trade him. I like LJ-- as a matter of fact, I think there's some eric dickerson in LJ--and recall, dickerson was the only player with 400+ carries who actually got better--but dickerson never saw a sideline he didn't like, and LJ isn't known for avoiding contact. history shows that guys with that many carries quickly drop off, and I just don't want to see the chiefs get f*cked in the 'A' like they have for as long as I've been a fan (since 1989)

FAX
07-03-2007, 12:07 AM
A running back's effectiveness could probably be accurately charted on a bell curve. Although it's true that LJ is probably still on the upside, after the number of carries he's had, the peak probably isn't far away.

I honestly believe that, were we to receive a solid offer, trading him would be a good idea and we could start working on rebuilding the o-line which is where the running game begins and ends.

FAX

Ebolapox
07-03-2007, 12:11 AM
A running back's effectiveness could probably be accurately charted on a bell curve. Although it's true that LJ is probably still on the upside, after the number of carries he's had, the peak probably isn't far away.

I honestly believe that, were we to receive a solid offer, trading him would be a good idea and we could start working on rebuilding the o-line which is where the running game begins and ends.

FAX

fax puts it in a way that my rambling tired self can't... thank you for your eloquence, fax. live long and prosper :spock:

Frazod
07-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Doesn't bother me one damn bit if we can get two firsts for him. I like his ability (as long as he's doing well for us) but I don't care for him personally. Let the greedy pouting bastard soak Jerry Jones and the Cowgirls.

Three first rounders, at least two of them really high. Damn, that would rock. :drool:

ClevelandBronco
07-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Doesn't bother me one damn bit if we can get two firsts for him.

BUT. YOU. CAN'T.

What would you settle for?

Guru
07-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Doesn't bother me one damn bit if we can get two firsts for him. I like his ability (as long as he's doing well for us) but I don't care for him personally. Let the greedy pouting bastard soak Jerry Jones and the Cowgirls.

Three first rounders, at least two of them really high. Damn, that would rock. :drool:
You dreamer you.

Frazod
07-03-2007, 12:17 AM
BUT. YOU. CAN'T.

How the hell do you know that? Are you Jerry Jones? I'm not Clark Hunt. Others have paid more for less.

But if I'm making the deal, I MIGHT settle for a 1st and a 2nd, or 1st and 1st the following year.

I'm fairly confident that I won't be consulted, though. Damn that Carl - he never returns my calls. :cuss:

Mile High Mania
07-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Seriously... Dallas will not give up 2 first rounders for LJ. They potentially have the future at the position with Barber and if not, they have what is likely a top 5 pick (again) if not first overall from CLE.

Keep dreamin though.

Mile High Mania
07-03-2007, 12:20 AM
How the hell do you know that? Are you Jerry Jones?

No, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Seriously though, while this comment could be a smokescreen... I'll take it for what it is. Jones was being interviewed by the local sports station and they asked about some of his regrets as owner. One of them was trading 2 R1 picks for Galloway. Jones remarked that it was a failure and something never to be done again.

So, take it for what it is...

Der Flöprer
07-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Seriously... Dallas will not give up 2 first rounders for LJ. They potentially have the future at the position with Barber and if not, they have what is likely a top 5 pick (again) if not first overall from CLE.

Keep dreamin though.

Meh. LJ is fine. This is like the Trent scenario for me. If we can get two 1st rounders then fine. Deal him. If not, we have arguably the 2nd best RB in the league. It works for me either way.

Frazod
07-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Who knows? I certainly wouldn't take anything any of these clowns say at face value.

It could happen. Stranger things have happened. And if it does happen, I'll be happy. That's all I'm saying.

kcchiefsus
07-03-2007, 12:28 AM
BUT. YOU. CAN'T.

Denver got a 2nd rounder and the best corner in the game for Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson is twice the runningback Portis ever was.

Guru
07-03-2007, 12:29 AM
yeah. thanks. I throw my heart and soul into this team, literally weep after the 93, 95, and 97 playoff losses, faithfully follow the team with optimism that defies logic, yet I'm mecca.

f*ck you.

Damn!!! Take a joke will ya. I know you love this team.

I apologize for offending you so badly.

RustShack
07-03-2007, 12:29 AM
I don't see any trades happening, but I wouldn't have a HUGE problem with like... Julias Jones and Clevelands 1st round pick for LJ. Personaly I would rather have LJ still though.

Direckshun
07-03-2007, 12:54 AM
I love that Dallas does have two 1sts, though, because that's just burning a hole in JJ's pockets. It makes him more likely to deal one of them away.

I'll take either. I may take LJ for that formerly-Cleveland pick, with a stipulation that we get an additional later-round pick if it's not Top 10.

Or I'd take the Cowboys' likely later R1 pick plus a R2 or R3.

JJ's a heavy handed negotiator -- famous for shucking huge deals for huge players. I'd be open-minded.

But damn, that Dallas offense would be a bitch to play. They'd immediately be up there with Indy, NE, and San Diego I'd think.

Ebolapox
07-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Damn!!! Take a joke will ya. I know you love this team.

I apologize for offending you so badly.

eh, it's been a sh*tty day--my bad for taking it so badly in the spur of the moment

Guru
07-03-2007, 01:02 AM
eh, it's been a sh*tty day--my bad for taking it so badly in the spur of the moment
I had one of those Saturday morning. All is well.

luv
07-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Hope tomorrow is better.

Ebolapox
07-03-2007, 01:09 AM
enough of this positiveness. THE CHIEFS SUCK. THEY WILL NEVER WIN ANOTHER GAME. BAH BAH MARTYHERM LJ IS OVER THE HILL HOLMES NACHO FIASCO!11ONEONEELEVEN!11

whew. got that outta my system--

thanks, luv, may your life be filled with grape gatorade and drunken 'delts :p

Guru
07-03-2007, 01:11 AM
enough of this positiveness. THE CHIEFS SUCK. THEY WILL NEVER WIN ANOTHER GAME. BAH BAH MARTYHERM LJ IS OVER THE HILL HOLMES NACHO FIASCO!11ONEONEELEVEN!11

whew. got that outta my system--

thanks, luv, may your life be filled with grape gatorade and drunken 'delts :p
Oh man. And she was being nice to you. ROFL

Mile High Mania
07-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Denver got a 2nd rounder and the best corner in the game for Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson is twice the runningback Portis ever was.

Yeah, but Shanahan uses some sort of jedi mind trick on Snyder...

Ebolapox
07-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Oh man. And she was being nice to you. ROFL

heh, my post was intended to be of my normal style: biting sarcasm and smartassness-- luv is among my favorite planeteers, as she's always nice to everyone--which I can't say about myself part of the time (obviously)

Guru
07-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Yeah, but Shanahan uses some sort of jedi mind trick on Snyder...
No, Snyder is just plain stupid.

Frankie
07-03-2007, 09:46 AM

I think it would be insane to give up a proven RB for two unknowns that could as easily be busts as anything. I like to gamble, but those odds aren't very good, I wouldn't take that bet.
Dallas will NOT give us both of their picks for LJ. Personally I'd be very happy to get their Cleveland first and their second. That's more realistic. And for those of you who keep labeling LJ as "elite," here's a news flash. LJ won't block and can't catch the ball consistantly. The only part of his eliteness is his running, and that's good for only another year or two. I'd say if Dallas is willing to give us what I mentioned we would be fools not to take it. If instead of their 2nd they'll give us a pretty good veteran in a position of need (CB?) that might be even better.

Frankie
07-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Because regardless of how productive LJ is for us it will take probably 2 more years for the rest of the team to get to a point where they can be competitive and by then LJ will likely be average.

Either way, in 3 years it's likely LJ either isn't around, or if he is around he's declined majorly. So if a good offer is available you might as well get those draft picks now even if it means sucking majorly the next couple of years.
Absolutely on target. Rep.

Frankie
07-03-2007, 09:55 AM

FAX
As always Mr. FAX chimes in with deep wisdom. :hail:

Frankie
07-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Yeah but gullible Washington has already filled their RB need.

Frankie
07-03-2007, 10:00 AM
But damn, that Dallas offense would be a bitch to play. They'd immediately be up there with Indy, NE, and San Diego I'd think.
Are you putting Romo and Manning in the same category?

ChiefsCountry
07-03-2007, 10:11 AM
If we can get Dallas' first round picks we could have a shot at McFadden, Jake Long, and a CB. That would go along ways in rebuilding our team.

Frankie
07-03-2007, 10:14 AM
If we can get Dallas' first round picks we could have a shot at McFadden, Jake Long, and a CB. That would go along ways in rebuilding our team.
PEOPLE!, PEOPLE!..... FORGET DALLAS'S TWO FIRSTS!

Coogs
07-03-2007, 10:16 AM
eh, I sure as hell hope so. look, I'm not for trading LJ... I'm just realistic enough to know that we need a true rebuild. we haven't really rebuilt in eighteen years, since DT was a rookie... if we can get two firsts for him, we can finally rebuild.

I don't WANT us to trade him. I like LJ-- as a matter of fact, I think there's some eric dickerson in LJ--and recall, dickerson was the only player with 400+ carries who actually got better--but dickerson never saw a sideline he didn't like, and LJ isn't known for avoiding contact. history shows that guys with that many carries quickly drop off, and I just don't want to see the chiefs get f*cked in the 'A' like they have for as long as I've been a fan (since 1989)

I agree with this take. I like LJ as well. But if by moving him we can upgrade our team, then I am OK. Very much OK. I really think the rebuild has already started, and the possibility of 3 1st round picks would go a long way towards completing that rebuild. Especially if Croyle pans out, and we don't need to go in the direction of QB with one of those 1st round picks.

And, as great as Dickerson was, he was traded a time or two in his career.

ChiefsCountry
07-03-2007, 10:17 AM

What part of "If we can" dont you understand.

Coogs
07-03-2007, 10:19 AM

Why? Dallas gets LJ, and they are the front runners for the NFC this season.

Chris Meck
07-03-2007, 11:56 AM
you'll also note that Dickerson never won a championship. There are reasons for that.

I'm an LJ fan, but if we can get an early 1st and even a 2nd, you'd have to consider it. Seriously.

LJ is a prototype powerback, but he's so-so out of the backfield as a receiver (although when he does catch the ball, look out) and a spotty blocker.

He's probably got 2-3 years tops at his peak. Given his size, he can still be effective after that, but you're not going to be able to lean on him as much.

Chris

Direckshun
07-03-2007, 11:59 AM
He's probably got 2-3 years tops at his peak. Given his size, he can still be effective after that, but you're not going to be able to lean on him as much.
Cowboys wouldn't have to.

Coogs
07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
No, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Seriously though, while this comment could be a smokescreen... I'll take it for what it is. Jones was being interviewed by the local sports station and they asked about some of his regrets as owner. One of them was trading 2 R1 picks for Galloway. Jones remarked that it was a failure and something never to be done again.

So, take it for what it is...

That was a bit of a different scenario though too. Dallas traded their 1st round pick in 2 consecutive seasons for Galloway. Thier first in 2000 and 2001.

This year they traded back into the 1st round to get the DE from Purdue. So they had a 1st rounder this season.

Both of the #1's this BB is throwing out there are in the same draft... next season.

So in a sense, Dallas would only be losing a selection in the 1st round in the 2008 draft by giving up the 2 picks.

They would be back in the first round in the year 2009.

Brock
07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Giving up 2 number one picks would be completely stupid.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
13 seasons & 3 playoff loses later, maybe the 13-3 curse is broken

ChiefsCountry
07-03-2007, 12:16 PM
For as much hype the Cowgirls get they havent won a playoff game since 96.

Cochise
07-03-2007, 12:28 PM
We're not going to get both firsts, but if we got the higher one that would probably be enough. Maybe we could pick up a second next year as well.

Mile High Mania
07-03-2007, 12:33 PM
That was a bit of a different scenario though too. Dallas traded their 1st round pick in 2 consecutive seasons for Galloway. Thier first in 2000 and 2001.

This year they traded back into the 1st round to get the DE from Purdue. So they had a 1st rounder this season.

Both of the #1's this BB is throwing out there are in the same draft... next season.

So in a sense, Dallas would only be losing a selection in the 1st round in the 2008 draft by giving up the 2 picks.

They would be back in the first round in the year 2009.

That's the craziest rationalization I have heard... 2 picks in the first round of an NFL draft or drafts are just that two first round picks. There's no way that Dallas or any team (in my opinion) gives you that for LJ.

Chiefnj
07-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Barring a Herschel Walker type trade, keep LJ.

What do you do this year if you trade LJ? Run Bennett and Smith into the ground? Croyle + unsettled OL + Bennett/Smith = 4 wins.

Then you start over next year and hope and cross your fingers you can draft a decent HB that fits into the system.

That's way too much risk for a running ball control offensive team.

Coogs
07-03-2007, 02:47 PM
That's the craziest rationalization I have heard... 2 picks in the first round of an NFL draft or drafts are just that two first round picks. There's no way that Dallas or any team (in my opinion) gives you that for LJ.

Geez! I could have sworn I have had crazier ideas than this one! :)

I still think 2 #1's in one draft would do less damage to the overall future of your team than #1's in successive years.

Brock
07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Geez! I could have sworn I have had crazier ideas than this one! :)

I still think 2 #1's in one draft would do less damage to the overall future of your team than #1's in successive years.

One of those picks is likely to be top 10. No. Way.

Coogs
07-03-2007, 02:51 PM
One of those picks is likely to be top 10. No. Way.

And one could be #31 or #32, which is nearly a 2nd rounder.

Brock
07-03-2007, 02:58 PM
And one could be #31 or #32, which is nearly a 2nd rounder.

Or it could be #15 or 16. Sorry, I don't think that's even a remote possibility.