PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a truck

ILikeBigTiddys
07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I've been eyeballing those Toyota Tundras for quite awhile. I'm planning on buying something used because as we all know vehicles are the worst investment you can make. The one thing I dont like is how much more they cost because Toyotas hold their value. Do they actually last that much longer compared to gm or ford? Should I just take my money and buy a Ford thats probably 3-4 yrs newer with less miles for the same price?

big nasty kcnut
07-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Get a ford cause they are better for repair and more durable.

StcChief
07-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Depends on what your using it for. Truck is a tool.

Hog Farmer
07-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Fords suck, I own one but never again. Get a Dodge.

WARPARTY70
07-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Buy a F350 Super-Duty with the 6.4 diesel. This is by far the best truck on the market now.

tooge
07-02-2007, 03:07 PM
auto opinions are like... well you know, but here is mine. I have an F150 and have had a toyota (the tacoma). All vehicles are different, but I have 88K on the Ford, and haven't ever had any issues at all, not even a noise in the dash (knock on plastic). The toyota was a good truck, but had a few little rinky dink issues like check engine light coming on for no reason. It was a bit pricey to fix after the warrantee ran out. I will get another F150 if and when this one bites it.

cdcox
07-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I have a '94 F150 with about 115K. Clutch, brakes and water pump are the only repairs I've had. I plan on running it up over 200K.

Halfcan
07-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Ford should be sued for putting out the vehicles they do. Worst out there and their service sucks ass. Fuggin crooks!

DTLB58
07-02-2007, 04:29 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=4036842#post4036842

I bought that truck about a week and a half ago.

The truck I traded in was a 98 Ram. I had it 7 years, it had 102,000 miles on it and the only thing I ever had to replace on it (besides normal wear and tear things) was a senor on the transmission that cost me $70.

That was the main reason I bought another Dodge. Oh yea, and because the looks awesome, especially RED ones! :D

NewChief
07-02-2007, 04:35 PM
I have an '02 Tundra. No complaints whatsoever.

Simplex3
07-02-2007, 04:47 PM
My dad has a Tacoma and LOVES it. All the men on his side of the family do actual work in their trucks and they all said he bought the right one.

On a side note I have a truck that I picked up in Mexico a while back that I'll sell you for cheap.

booger
07-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Ever consider a Velma?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=165227&page=1&pp=40&highlight=ford

HemiEd
07-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Get a Dodge. If you were buying a new one, the Chevy is best.

ClevelandBronco
07-02-2007, 05:10 PM
...the only thing I ever had to replace on it (besides normal wear and tear things) was a senor on the transmission...

You ran over an illegal alien?

BTW: "Seņor" should have a tilde.

booger
07-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Chevy is best.

I never thought i'd see the day.

booger
07-02-2007, 05:18 PM
GMC

booger
07-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by DTLB58
...the only thing I ever had to replace on it (besides normal wear and tear things) was a senor on the transmission...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You ran over an illegal alien?

BTW: "Seņor" should have a tilde.

No idea on the illegals but I heard fraz knows a thing or two about trannys.

kstater
07-02-2007, 05:25 PM
No idea on the illegals but I heard fraz knows a thing or two about trannys.
LMAO

HemiEd
07-02-2007, 05:33 PM
I never thought i'd see the day.

Many people, who have known me for a long time, are very shocked as well. It pains me to admit it.

But the truth is, they are building the best pick up again. I want one! Now that some inventory is showing up on the lots, I might pull the trigger.
I am in no hurry, so I may wait until they need to move some of them. I am still not sure I can pull the trigger though. :D

booger
07-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Many people, who have known me for a long time, are very shocked as well. It pains me to admit it.

But the truth is, they are building the best pick up again. I want one! Now that some inventory is showing up on the lots, I might pull the trigger.
I am in no hurry, so I may wait until they need to move some of them. I am still not sure I can pull the trigger though. :D

Act soon and you could get a free LJ jersey!!!

Logical
07-02-2007, 05:50 PM

I am in no hurry, so I may wait until they need to move some of them. I am still not sure I can pull the trigger though. :DYou sound like Frazod getting ready to shoot his refrigerator.

HemiEd
07-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Act soon and you could get a free LJ jersey!!!

ROFL, you probably won't see me wearing one of those, free or not.

but you already knew that.

HemiEd
07-02-2007, 05:54 PM
You sound like Frazod getting ready to shoot his refrigerator.

Tim has no problem pulling the trigger, cars or refrigerators, it doesn't matter.

WARPARTY70
07-02-2007, 05:57 PM
If not in a hurry, you can wait for is one

PastorMikH
07-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Sounds like we might have to start referring to you as ChevyEd before long.

:)

A guy in our church had a full sized toyota truck. Sold it a few months back for capitol to buy a Semi. He regrets getting rid of it. Had it for several years and had no problems whatsoever.

Dad is a Nissan mechanic and is pretty biased towards them but he said the new full sized toyota truck coming out is reported to be quite a truck.

recxjake
07-02-2007, 06:02 PM
2007 Truck of the Year.... Chevy Silverado

HemiEd
07-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Sounds like we might have to start referring to you as ChevyEd before long.

:)

A guy in our church had a full sized toyota truck. Sold it a few months back for capitol to buy a Semi. He regrets getting rid of it. Had it for several years and had no problems whatsoever.

Dad is a Nissan mechanic and is pretty biased towards them but he said the new full sized toyota truck coming out is reported to be quite a truck.

ROFL I haven't bought one yet. There is not an uglier mechanism on the road than that Nissan. :Lin:

Skip Towne
07-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Chevy builds tough trucks!!

Lzen
07-02-2007, 09:20 PM
I have a 2003 Ford F150. I couldn't be happier with it. I bought it with 25k miles and it now has 47k miles. No problems. Good truck.

RedandGold
07-02-2007, 09:39 PM
I have a Silverado that I bought new in '02, and it's been a great truck. I would recommend one to anyone.

In terms of quality, I've had fewer problems with mine over the last five years than my dad has had with the F-150 he bought new 11 months ago. Aside from the problems with the truck, he's found that the Ford service people are terrible.

For anyone buying new, I'd definitely go GM over either Ford or Dodge. The Tundra would be a reliable pick, but I'm just not a fan of the truck itself.

ClevelandBronco
07-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a 2002 Sequoia, which is basically the SUV version of the Toyota Tundra. The only problem I've had so far (70k) is burning up the brakes. From what I understand, Toyota upgraded the braking system for 2004, but you might want to ask around. Mine will only go about 25k miles before I need a brake job, and a lot of my miles are highway miles. I'm not really using the brakes at all for hundreds of miles at a stretch.

I had a Camry years ago and the brakes were weak on it, as well. I've just gotten used to hitting the brakes well before I need to stop, especially so since I'm trying to stop the inertia of the Sequoia these days.

BCD
07-02-2007, 09:55 PM
If you have the coin, I'd go with the Ridgeline, Titan, or Tundra. In that order.