PDA

View Full Version : Which section of American history is the LEAST interesting to you?

SNR
07-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Happy Independence Day (tomorrow). Let's look back at our country and decide the most boring time in our history.

Jordan
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Poll forthcoming

From 1776 'till present.

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Don't forget the "Era of Good Feeling" in your poll. Boooooooring !
Not enough controversy....too many happy people! ROFL

listopencil
07-03-2007, 03:51 PM
From around 1885 to 1915.

listopencil
07-03-2007, 03:53 PM
...and there was this one November, back in 1921. It was pretty boring.

SNR
07-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I kind of had to scrunch them all together at the end. Hope nobody minds

SNR
07-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Don't forget the "Era of Good Feeling" in your poll. Boooooooring !
Not enough controversy....too many happy people! ROFLIt happened directly after 1812, so I would put it then.

Sorry I didn't include it as an option

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 03:56 PM
What's the Guilded Age?

You forget the "Era of Good Feeling!" :mad:

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 03:57 PM
It happened directly after 1812, so I would put it then.

Sorry I didn't include it as an option
Oh okay!

SNR
07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
What's the Guilded Age?

You forget the "Era of Good Feeling!" :mad:Big businesses, child labor, and really boring politics. This includes the illustrious careers of Rutherford B. Hayes, Grover Cleveland, Warren G. Harding, and other presidents whom we all forget about.

DaneMcCloud
07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
The Civil War & Reconstruction era are the least interesting to me, with Pre-1800's and WWII being the most interesting.

Logical
07-03-2007, 04:00 PM
First I think this should have allowed multiple choices it was almost impossible to pick one.

I was not sure what happened during the Guilded Age so I could not choose it. I chose the Puritan times not knowing about the Guilded Age.

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Big businesses, child labor, and really boring politics. This includes the illustrious careers of Rutherford B. Hayes, Grover Cleveland, Warren G. Harding, and other presidents whom we all forget about.
Oh too late for me. I already picked Operation Desert Storm but it's a toss up.
So I'll stick to my choice. Thanks though.

Rain Man
07-03-2007, 04:50 PM
The one that had the fewest people killing other people, other than maybe via bad industrial processes.

There seemed to be a period from about 1820 to 1840 where not a lot was going on, and then again from about 1870 to 1900.

Skip Towne
07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
The one that had the fewest people killing other people, other than maybe via bad industrial processes.

There seemed to be a period from about 1820 to 1840 where not a lot was going on, and then again from about 1870 to 1900.
From 1870 to 1900 there were the last of the outlaw gangs. At least the horseback kind. And the Oklahoma Land Rush. And Custer's little f*ck up.

Donger
07-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Heh. I can't pick one.

trndobrd
07-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I had been rather disinterested in the colonial period, but I had the opportunity to visit Jamestown a couple weeks ago. The Jamestown site is an active archeological dig. Every hour a volunteer explains what they are working on that particular day, then in the afternoon the chief archeologist comes up and talks about what they found that day. Very interesting stuff.

I would highly recommend a weekend visit to Jamestown and Yorktown Battlefield (just a few miles apart) if you are in the area.

Rain Man
07-03-2007, 05:16 PM
From 1870 to 1900 there were the last of the outlaw gangs. At least the horseback kind. And the Oklahoma Land Rush. And Custer's little f*ck up.

Yeah, but how many people got killed in the land rush? A couple crushed under wagon wheels, maybe, or thrown off horses. While interesting, that's not enough to keep my attention.

Custer is a little more interesting, but it's not like it was Antietam or anything.

CoMoChief
07-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I dont know. I really do like reading books etc about WWII. Movies are even better, with the exception of the movie Pearl Harbor as of recent.

Skip Towne
07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah, but how many people got killed in the land rush? A couple crushed under wagon wheels, maybe, or thrown off horses. While interesting, that's not enough to keep my attention.

Custer is a little more interesting, but it's not like it was Antietam or anything.
Agreed. The Civil War was fascinating. There were roughly 160,000 troops at Gettysburg. That means they had to come up with 480,000 meals per day. How the hell did they do that in 1863?

Dr. Van Halen
07-03-2007, 05:35 PM
First I think this should have allowed multiple choices it was almost impossible to pick one.

I was not sure what happened during the Guilded Age so I could not choose it. I chose the Puritan times not knowing about the Guilded Age.

My instinct was to go with the Puritans, but they gave us the Salem Witch Trials, which is fascinating stuff.

I went with the "Era of Grover Clevelands."

Frazod
07-03-2007, 05:44 PM
The Vietnam Era. Other than some really cool muscle cars, the moon landings and Star Trek, this time period sucked balls. I'm glad I don't really remember it.

Rain Man
07-03-2007, 05:55 PM
The Vietnam Era. Other than some really cool muscle cars, the moon landings and Star Trek, this time period sucked balls. I'm glad I don't really remember it.

Other than the moon landing? OTHER THAN THE MOON LANDING? Aside from freeing mankind from our earthly gravitational bondage and setting foot on another world, realizing the most fantastic dreams of men since they first descended from the trees, and setting the stage for the long-term conquest of the cosmos, it was boring?

Frazod
07-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Other than the moon landing? OTHER THAN THE MOON LANDING? Aside from freeing mankind from our earthly gravitational bondage and setting foot on another world, realizing the most fantastic dreams of men since they first descended from the trees, and setting the stage for the long-term conquest of the cosmos, it was boring?

Sorry, but all the other shit kind of ruined it.

Logical
07-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Agreed. The Civil War was fascinating. There were roughly 160,000 troops at Gettysburg. That means they had to come up with 480,000 meals per day. How the hell did they do that in 1863?]

My guess is they only got 1 meal, not that unususual in any battlefield situation of the long past. Probably had some jerky to knaw on for the middle of the day and some coffee for the morning. That many meals would have been amazing.

Psyko Tek
07-03-2007, 06:38 PM
I had to go with the parts I lived through
60's on up
that's not history, I was there

sorta like the first time you here songs you listened to on the oldies station

SNR
07-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Other than the moon landing? OTHER THAN THE MOON LANDING? Aside from freeing mankind from our earthly gravitational bondage and setting foot on another world, realizing the most fantastic dreams of men since they first descended from the trees, and setting the stage for the long-term conquest of the cosmos, it was boring?It would be the most interesting time period in American history had they discovered an alien or two. Since they didn't though... meh

SNR
07-03-2007, 06:59 PM

Custer is a little more interesting, but it's not like it was Antietam or anything.When this question is asked in a few decades, they'll probably say the same about American history from 1970 to the present. Can anyone REALLY remember anything cool that happened in the 70s? A Chiefs Super Bowl, and it all went downhill from there.

Rain Man
07-03-2007, 07:06 PM
When this question is asked in a few decades, they'll probably say the same about American history from 1970 to the present. Can anyone REALLY remember anything cool that happened in the 70s? A Chiefs Super Bowl, and it all went downhill from there.

The boat people made for an interesting story, but I'm not sure how timeless the story is.

Skip Towne
07-03-2007, 07:20 PM
]

My guess is they only got 1 meal, not that unususual in any battlefield situation of the long past. Probably had some jerky to knaw on for the middle of the day and some coffee for the morning. That many meals would have been amazing.
They didn't look undernourished in the pics I've seen. I'll bet it would have been tough to find a deer or a rabbit in the Gettysburg area about July 4th.

trndobrd
07-03-2007, 08:29 PM
The American Civil War is interesting from a logistics perspective because it was the first major conflict in which armies of that size were able to constantly stay in the field. Previously, warfare had been mostly a seasonal event. Both Washinton at Valley Forge and Napoleon in Moscow would agree that without good logistics support, winter sucks.

Through the use of railways and telegraph, modern military logistics was born in the U.S. Civil War.

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 09:26 PM
]

Not many meals when on the march anyways, iirc. They carried and ate hardtack ( hard bread) with worms in it...and would have to forage for food. That included going to nearby farms begging, trading and stealing. Often a the foragers preceded the army. Coffee was their main beverage. Southern blacks were friendly to Northern armies when they came south and fed them too.

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Speaking of Gettysburg...anyone ever been?

That's a great place to visit if ya' want to get a realistic picture of Civil War battle. Literally a wall of bullets. You can even crawl inside Devil
Den. I think we lost more in the Civil War than in all our wars combined up through WWII iirc.

Frazod
07-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I've made plans to go three times, but something always came up at the last minute that torpedoed the trip. It's definitely on my list of must-see U.S. history destinations.

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 09:37 PM
I've made plans to go three times, but something always came up at the last minute that torpedoed the trip. It's definitely on my list of must-see U.S. history destinations.
I have to say that place stirred me emotionally quite a bit. It's an awesome Civil War park. I've been to more than a few, including enactments as I was once a total and complete Civil War nut.

keg in kc
07-03-2007, 09:38 PM
All of them.

Not a history buff.

Although I do dig some of the ancient, BC-era stuff. Mysterious ancient stuff fascinates me.

Frazod
07-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I've been to Lexington and Concord, and the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Sadly, I haven't visited any of the major Civil War battlefields yet.

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 09:45 PM
I've been to Lexington and Concord, and the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Sadly, I haven't visited any of the major Civil War battlefields yet.
Little Bighorn I'd love to do. I haven't done much out west...unless you consider Wilson's Creek in Mo. ( not exactly the west) I have done Mt. Rushmore though but it's not really about an event. Lexington and Concord is my past stomping grounds...I passed that Bridge numerous times. But ya' know I had to make a point of doing the Freedom Trail up there, just before I moved down here. I guess we take things like that for granted.

trndobrd
07-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Been to Gettysburg, Fredricksburg, Antietam and Sharpsburg, Spotsylvania and Harpers Ferry (not a Civil War battlefield per se, but certainly relevant to the era).

Frazod
07-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Little Bighorn is facsinating. Being there and actually seeing the various markers, you get a real sense of how isolated Custer and his men were that the history books just don't convey.

trndobrd
07-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Little Bighorn I'd love to do. I haven't done much out west...unless you consider Wilson's Creek in Mo. ( not exactly the west) I have done Mt. Rushmore though but it's not really about an event. Lexington and Concord is my past stomping grounds...I passed that Bridge numerous times. But ya' know I had to make a point of doing the Freedom Trail up there, just before I moved down here. I guess we take things like that for granted.

Wilson's Creek is a good visit. Not as large as the Eastern battlefields.

About 10 years ago I was driving from California to Wisconson. As I was enjoying the speedlimitless highway, I noticed that Little Bighorn was only about 45 min out of my way. As I was pulling in the toll booth, the ranger said "it's free". I asked her why, and she said "yesterday was the 125th anniversary of the battle, we have renactors, story tellers, a Native American encampment, and the park is free this week. That was, by far, the best visit of any National Park.

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Been to Gettysburg, Fredricksburg, Antietam and Sharpsburg, Spotsylvania and Harpers Ferry (not a Civil War battlefield per se, but certainly relevant to the era).
Harper's Ferry is a nice area. Isn't Virginia beautiful and so much history both Revolutionary and Civil War? They do a re-enactment of the first battle of Manassas which is a really funny. They even have the women in the hoop skirts picnicking on the side hills. Bivouacs set up. Plus it's broadcast on radio and like a sports event....they even announce when Stonewall Jackson's troops are arriving etc. It was pretty funny to me.

keg in kc
07-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Harper's Ferry is a nice area. Isn't Virginia beautiful and so much history both Revolutionary and Civil War? They do a re-enactment of the first battle of Manassas which is a really funny. They even have the women in the hoop skirts picnicking on the side hills. Bivouacs set up. Plus it's broadcast on radio and like a sports event....they even announce when Stonewall Jackson's troops are arriving etc. It was pretty funny to me.I went to school in VA, we used to refer to the area as manasshole.

trndobrd
07-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Harper's Ferry is a nice area. Isn't Virginia beautiful and so much history both Revolutionary and Civil War? They do a re-enactment of the first battle of Manassas which is a really funny. They even have the women in the hoop skirts picnicking on the side hills. Bivouacs set up. Plus it's broadcast on radio and like a sports event....they even announce when Stonewall Jackson's troops are arriving etc. It was pretty funny to me.

I was there a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed Jamestown. Hated the drivers. Does the Virginia DMV mandate that smoking, overloaded, Dodge minivans MUST drive in the left hand lane at 45 mph?

ChiTown
07-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm fascinated with the Industrial Revolution. It's how we began to separate ourselves as a world power.

Chief Chief
07-03-2007, 10:56 PM
We only get one vote? That SUCKS!

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 11:05 PM
I was there a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed Jamestown. Hated the drivers. Does the Virginia DMV mandate that smoking, overloaded, Dodge minivans MUST drive in the left hand lane at 45 mph?
Oh I really enjoyed Jamestown too!
Did you do Colonial Williamsburg as well?

If you liked Jamestown, you'd probably enjoy Plymouth Mass with the Mayflower and Plymouth Plantation. Similar. The people at the plantation don't discuss any events past their era...they only discuss events from that time. You'll be disappointed at the rock the Pilgrim's landed on though. It's quite small. Must be a lot of artist license in those paintings that exaggerate it. The ships are really tiny too.

BTW I only did Wilson's Creek only because I was there for other reasons. I probably wouldn't have made a trip for that one. Once I heard it was there, I had to go. I did Vicksburgh, Chickamauga/Chattanooga due to passing through those areas as well. But I made the day trip to Manassas from Boston by plane and went home in the evening. I made the trip to Gettysburg, Antietham and Harpers Ferry though as part of a vacation.

el borracho
07-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Pretty much everything since the end of the Viet Nam war until 9-1-1. In those 30 years Americans grew very isolated and insulated from the world and nothing terribly interesting happened here, either.

ClevelandBronco
07-04-2007, 03:38 AM
I don't care about the early discovery period. That's not our history anyway. That's European history.

trndobrd
07-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Oh I really enjoyed Jamestown too!
Did you do Colonial Williamsburg as well?

If you liked Jamestown, you'd probably enjoy Plymouth Mass with the Mayflower and Plymouth Plantation. Similar. The people at the plantation don't discuss any events past their era...they only discuss events from that time. You'll be disappointed at the rock the Pilgrim's landed on though. It's quite small. Must be a lot of artist license in those paintings that exaggerate it. The ships are really tiny too.

BTW I only did Wilson's Creek only because I was there for other reasons. I probably wouldn't have made a trip for that one. Once I heard it was there, I had to go. I did Vicksburgh, Chickamauga/Chattanooga due to passing through those areas as well. But I made the day trip to Manassas from Boston by plane and went home in the evening. I made the trip to Gettysburg, Antietham and Harpers Ferry though as part of a vacation.

I've been to Colonial Williamsburg on a previous trip. I'm going back in the Fall and will try to visit again. Plymouth sounds fun.

Do you have a blue National Parks book?

BucEyedPea
07-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Do you have a blue National Parks book?
Yes. I actually do.
I need to get more stamps in it though. Haven't done parks in awhile and I forgot the book on some.

Have you visited Mount Vernon?

Demonpenz
07-04-2007, 09:07 AM
today's history pretty much sucks, people coming into immigration is the big topic. Big deal, been happening since my grandparents came over on a boat.

trndobrd
07-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Yes. I actually do.
I need to get more stamps in it though. Haven't done parks in awhile and I forgot the book on some.

Have you visited Mount Vernon?

Nope, definitely on the "to-do" list.

I'm always forgetting my book. I had to go clear back to Hawaii to get the Pearl Harbor stamp because I forgot my book the first time. That and it was my honeymoon, but mostly to get the stamp.

BucEyedPea
07-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Nope, definitely on the "to-do" list.

I'm always forgetting my book. I had to go clear back to Hawaii to get the Pearl Harbor stamp because I forgot my book the first time. That and it was my honeymoon, but mostly to get the stamp.
You flew all the way back to Hawaii just to get the stamp?
You mean the inked impression one right?
I understand that you can order the picture stamps at least.

BucEyedPea
07-04-2007, 09:39 AM
today's history pretty much sucks, people coming into immigration is the big topic. Big deal, been happening since my grandparents came over on a boat.
Yeah well it's a different breed nowadays as there was no major welfare benefits to get back then nor were there anti-American elements within those migrations.And they did it legally they didn't cut in line. We had a border then.