PDA

View Full Version : The "Terror Spectacular" is it really coming

Hog Farmer
07-03-2007, 04:58 PM
If it is, where do you think it will take place and how.

My guess is a suitcase nuc in las Vegas. Bin Laden has supposedly bought suitcase nucs from the Russian Mofia then had the Mexican Drug Cartels mule them accross the border of Mexico. So either that or a suicide bomber may dowse himself with gasoline,light up and run through a mall.

Make your prediction.

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Who knows? Now the HS is sayin' it's a false alarm.
But these things sure seem to have a knack for happening during election periods. :hmmm:

Taco John
07-03-2007, 05:06 PM
The mexican drug cartel is going to blow up their base of recurring revenue and get their ongoing income shut down for good for some camel jockey in Afghanistan...

Does it take practice to be this stupid, or does it come naturally?

a1na2
07-03-2007, 05:25 PM
The mexican drug cartel is going to blow up their base of recurring revenue and get their ongoing income shut down for good for some camel jockey in Afghanistan...

Does it take practice to be this stupid, or does it come naturally?

You may not know that the people that might be used to do the work of the terrorists are only interested in money. You offer enough of it and anything can be done.

Direckshun
07-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I'd say yes.

But I don't think it's going to kill any more people than the WTC.

Which, of course, will not stop the current administration from abusing its emotional impact for political gain.

memyselfI
07-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Only the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus know for sure. :hmmm:

Donger
07-03-2007, 06:02 PM

Those are some strange names for Islamic terrorists.

memyselfI
07-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Those are some strange names for Islamic terrorists.

Good thing I forgot to put Jesus Christ on that list...

Ultra Peanut
07-03-2007, 06:09 PM

My guess is a suitcase nuc in las Vegas. Bin Laden has supposedly bought suitcase nucs from the Russian Mofia then had the Mexican Drug Cartels mule them accross the border of Mexico. So either that or a suicide bomber may dowse himself with gasoline,light up and run through a mall.

Make your prediction.Spectacularrrrrrr.

http://imgred.com/http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/5/5e/300px-Jimbosp.jpg

DenverChief
07-03-2007, 06:16 PM
:shrug: I thought the suitcase nuke was an urban legend

trndobrd
07-03-2007, 06:17 PM

FDR and GW both know, but they aren't telling anyone.

Donger
07-03-2007, 06:20 PM

If you mean the fact that they once existed, no it isn't.

Dave Lane
07-03-2007, 06:27 PM

And jesus!

Dave

Chief Henry
07-03-2007, 06:33 PM
My moneys on ALLAH having an inside track on where the next Terroist strike happens. Or we could go to the local neighborhood mosk and
inquire. Hell, I bet DUHknees knows.

No, these threats dont just happen around election times. The Terrorist actions in the UK prove that there NOT threats.

I can't beleave the level of stupidity at this place.
Some people have BDS so bad they're level of
critical thinking is over the top tin foil.

Frankie
07-03-2007, 06:40 PM

Make your prediction.
What are "nucs?" And what is a "mofia?" :shrug:

trndobrd
07-03-2007, 06:43 PM

SHHHH! He would have to kill you.

Fishpicker
07-03-2007, 06:52 PM
a suitcase nuke on every continent on 7/7/07

TrickyNicky
07-03-2007, 07:08 PM
a suitcase nuke on every continent on 7/7/07
Even Antarctica? They hate the Penguins for their freedom.

Logical
07-03-2007, 07:09 PM
My moneys on ALLAH having an inside track on where the next Terroist strike happens. Or we could go to the local neighborhood mosk and

No, these threats dont just happen around election times. The Terrorist actions in the UK prove that there NOT threats.

On the other hand what is the point in worrying about it. Can you do anything to prevent something from happening, no. Live life to the fullest tommorrow you may die should always be your philosophy, and that should not be based on possible terrorist attacks. This is just plain stupid to worry about as citizens. In the immortal words of the old fart in our old neighborhood, shit happens.

trndobrd
07-03-2007, 09:19 PM
On the other hand what is the point in worrying about it. Can you do anything to prevent something from happening, no. Live life to the fullest tommorrow you may die should always be your philosophy, and that should not be based on possible terrorist attacks. This is just plain stupid to worry about as citizens. In the immortal words of the old fart in our old neighborhood, shit happens.

Screw that! I've got enough guns, ammo, food and water to last until 2100. Me and the cockroaches, baby!

(Maybe I'll get to find out if Becky MacIntosh from the 11th grade was serious when she said "not if you were the last man on Earth")

a1na2
07-03-2007, 10:18 PM

Rumors have it that one suitcase nuke is as powerful as the bombs dropped in Japan to end WWII. If they do exist and that is not a rumor and the Russians sold them to the terrorists we, the world, could be in a world of hurt.

BucEyedPea
07-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I wondah' who the creative director is for the marketing of terror?
I mean really "Terror Spectacular?" That is almost bizarre in it's attempt to create hysteria in people.

Logical
07-04-2007, 12:38 AM
I mean really "Terror Spectacular?" That is almost bizarre in it's attempt to create hysteria in people. I agree completely, I thought people were making that up at first.

ClevelandBronco
07-04-2007, 04:10 AM
I mean really "Terror Spectacular?" That is almost bizarre in it's attempt to create hysteria in people.

Yeah. I just got back from running through the streets screaming. That's why I'm posting so late.

Saggysack
07-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Haha. I love a good suitcase nuke conspiracy.

Hmm, let's see. I really do hope Al Qaida has bought some of the Russian suitcase nukes.

Since the last of them were made in the early 90's and have average lifespan of a only a couple years before materials in them go from operational, to plain junk. Yeah, I wouldn't mind Al Qaida spending tens of millions of dollars on junk.

penchief
07-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Yeah. I just got back from running through the streets screaming. That's why I'm posting so late.

You're right, it's not hysteria. But I get what she means.

It's a more subtle form. The more it's drilled into our heads the more a pall is cast upon the future. It dampens hope. It creates anxiety that has to be played out. It creates a lot of people who want the government to take away that anxiety.

It leads to the kind of scenarios we are experiencing right now. Power is being more and more consolidated and the people are losing contol of their own government. The rules that bind the government to our will are being erased.

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2007, 07:07 AM
My moneys on ALLAH having an inside track on where the next Terroist strike happens. Or we could go to the local neighborhood moskYeah, let's head to the local neighborhood mosk!

No, these threats dont just happen around election times. The Terrorist actions in the UK prove that there NOT threats. You're being sarcastic, but actually, I think they do. LMAO

To elaborate:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/terrorism-training-decline.php?page=1

6/29/2007 - Nightclub bouncers spotted a Mercedes driving erratically in London's Haymarket neighborhood. It crashed into a dumpster and patrons spotted smoke. The car turned out to be full of propane. A second car was discovered in a parking garage. There are so many things wrong with this terror plot it's hard to know where to begin. On 9/11 terrorists were able to fly huge jet aircraft into a building, less than six years later they are apparently incapable of driving around a dumpster.

7/1/2007 - In an attack similar to the one in London only days earlier, three terrorists attempted to drive a car full of gas into the main terminal of Glasgow Airport. The car hit the terminal, slightly injuring someone inside. The car was set on fire and two of the terrorists doused themselves in kerosene. One terrorist apparently was not interested in burning himself alive. One terrorist died and one was critically injured. This attack is notable because it managed to be even dumber than the attack in London.
. . .
It would appear that despite our best efforts to lose the vague War on Terror by invading random countries, we are actually well on our way to winning. Not because we're smarter or better at catching the terrorists. Not because of our heroic troops, heroic though they are. We're winning the same way mankind defeated the Martians in War of the Worlds. We're winning because the other guys are ****ing retarded.

DenverChief
07-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Screw that! I've got enough guns, ammo, food and water to last until 2100. Me and the cockroaches, baby!

(Maybe I'll get to find out if Becky MacIntosh from the 11th grade was serious when she said "not if you were the last man on Earth")

LMAO you rule

Hog Farmer
07-04-2007, 09:32 AM

i know what you're saying but if they do set off a nuke it will most likely be in a big city. It will devestate the economy and what if the power grid gets knocked out. Think about it. No electricity means no water, no fuel , no food, you will die a slow death. We live in a different world now a days with this ****ed up religious mentality and Iran sitting back laughing at the way we have to play the political game while they build their nukes. I have stock piled water, canned food, ammo and have generators to run my water wells. I'm prepared. I'm not scared of any ****ing terrorist but I'm am worried about the problems they can generate if they do it right.

Hog Farmer
07-04-2007, 09:43 AM

Everyone Knows what I mean. Shut up.:p

|Zach|
07-04-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm prepared. I'm not scared of any ****ing terrorist but I'm am worried about the problems they can generate if they do it right.
Actually it sounds to me like you are walking around with quite a bit of fear.

Simplex3
07-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Actually it sounds to me like you are walking around with quite a bit of fear.
Being scared and being prepared are two different things.

|Zach|
07-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I understand this...and knowing this user's posting history my point stands as is.

tiptap
07-04-2007, 12:13 PM
I am looking at 2003 death tables. Diseases are still the big reason people die. Heart disease, cancer and related disease are the biggies. 100,000 deaths from accidents (including auto), with 30,000 suicides and "only" 16000 from firearm homocides. All these way exceed what terrorists have done even including the deaths of 9/11 or during Iraq.

These are things we can control and if we were to try leaving the Moslems alone and see if they don't just spend time knocking each other off. It is not like Shia and Sunni and Sufi and other sects of Moslems don't consider the other sects infidels as well.

Hog Farmer
07-04-2007, 12:15 PM
You could just say I have to put a lot of thought into these things as I have relatives that work in law enforcement and some that work in the middle east.

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2007, 12:59 PM
You could just say I have to put a lot of thought into these things as I have relatives that work in law enforcement and some that work in the middle east.And you could also say you're smart, but it still wouldn't be true.

Chief Henry
07-04-2007, 01:08 PM
And you could also say you're smart, but it still wouldn't be true.

Sometimes you can be a really big P R I C K

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2007, 01:09 PM
What does that acronym mean? I hope it's something good!

Logical
07-04-2007, 02:23 PM
i know what you're saying but if they do set off a nuke it will most likely be in a big city. It will devestate the economy and what if the power grid gets knocked out. Think about it. No electricity means no water, no fuel , no food, you will die a slow death. We live in a different world now a days with this ****ed up religious mentality and Iran sitting back laughing at the way we have to play the political game while they build their nukes. I have stock piled water, canned food, ammo and have generators to run my water wells. I'm prepared. I'm not scared of any ****ing terrorist but I'm am worried about the problems they can generate if they do it right.

You go right on being scared, it is a pointless exercise but someone has to do it.

DenverChief
07-04-2007, 03:25 PM

:cuss: where is your badge?

Fat Elvis
07-04-2007, 03:36 PM

critical thinking is over the top tin foil(?).

Chiefsplanet will never cease to be an endless font of irony.

Bowser
07-04-2007, 06:01 PM
So THAT'S why they bought all those cell phones up from the dollar store!

Cochise
07-04-2007, 06:09 PM

That sounds like a rejected script for a made-for-tv movie.

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2007, 07:16 PM
TELL ME WHERE THE BOMB IS!

Cochise
07-04-2007, 07:27 PM

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2007, 07:28 PM
WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2007, 08:17 PM
DAMNIT!

Baconeater
07-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Are we dead yet?

Hydrae
07-04-2007, 08:56 PM

Not to worry, Batman will save us all!

http://nowthis.com/log/batman-bomb.jpg

Logical
07-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Are we dead yet?I APPEAR TO BE ALIVE, ALIVE ALIVEEEEEE

WilliamTheIrish
07-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Rumors have it that one suitcase nuke is as powerful as the bombs dropped in Japan to end WWII. If they do exist and that is not a rumor and the Russians sold them to the terrorists we, the world, could be in a world of hurt.

According to this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suitcase_bomb) the payload of the bombs used in Japan were around 12-13 kilotons.

A suitcase nuke would be in the range of 1kt. Still very damaging, but not on the scale of Fat Man and Little Boy.

memyselfI
07-04-2007, 09:52 PM
I hear fireworks lots of them...

maybe they are not fireworks but a terror spectacular. Take cover, everyone...

Logical
07-04-2007, 10:14 PM
I hear fireworks lots of them...

maybe they are not fireworks but a terror spectacular. Take cover, everyone...

ITS TEH END OF DA WORLD

Fat Elvis
07-05-2007, 12:29 AM
A Terror Spectacular? Does Al Qaeda get a fashion makeover on Queer Eye?

MadMax
07-05-2007, 02:26 AM

Make your prediction.

They will suicide car bomb your hog farm and we will have bacon and ribs for a week! :)

Hog Farmer
07-05-2007, 10:22 AM
You go right on being scared, it is a pointless exercise but someone has to do it.

Part of being a good manager is to develop contingency plans for any scenerio that may arise. I have 18,000 head of livestock that are 100% dependent on my providing them with feed, water, and shelter. If you think that being prepared is the same as being scared then you have proven once again that you are a dumbass!

DaneMcCloud
07-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Part of being a good manager is to develop contingency plans for any scenerio that may arise. I have 18,000 head of livestock that are 100% dependent on my providing them with feed, water, and shelter. If you think that being prepared is the same as being scared then you have proven once again that you are a dumbass!

So are you saying that by stocking up on food, water and other rations, you're prepared? Prepared for what? IF there were another terrorist strike, I dare say it's not going to be in Grain Valley, Missouri or wherever it is you live. It's going to be in a very high profile city - New York, Miami, San Francisco or Los Angeles. The point of terrorism is to strike fear in the hearts of your victim. To shake people's everyday way of life.

As I've stated before, my wife and I are good friends with the head of the Counter-Terror unit in Los Angeles. These guys are VERY sharp and have done their best to come up with every type of scenario possible and to have a quick, decisive solution. And while I'm not going to proclaim overconfidence and say that there will NEVER be another attack on foreign soil (or in Los Angeles), I'm certainly not concerned, especially to your level of paranoia.

I'd say there's a better chance of Russians parachuting into your town and taking over than a terrorist strike in your area.

StcChief
07-05-2007, 10:44 AM
So are you saying that by stocking up on food, water and other rations, you're prepared? Prepared for what? IF there were another terrorist strike, I dare say it's not going to be in Grain Valley, Missouri or wherever it is you live. It's going to be in a very high profile city - New York, Miami, San Francisco or Los Angeles. The point of terrorism is to strike fear in the hearts of your victim. To shake people's everyday way of life.

As I've stated before, my wife and I are good friends with the head of the Counter-Terror unit in Los Angeles. These guys are VERY sharp and have done their best to come up with every type of scenario possible and to have a quick, decisive solution. And while I'm not going to proclaim overconfidence and say that there will NEVER be another attack on foreign soil (or in Los Angeles), I'm certainly not concerned, especially to your level of paranoia.

I'd say there's a better chance of Russians parachuting into your town and taking over than a terrorist strike in your area.
Paranoia.... If the terrorist hit electric grid. Water plants in coordinated effort. Alot of people will be effected. But proving they can do it anywhere is also an option.

All Citizens should be watchful of out of the ordinary activities.

Not depend entirely on gov't to protect.

Bowser
07-05-2007, 10:58 AM
That newly erected border fence with Mexico must have warded off the attack.

trndobrd
07-05-2007, 11:02 AM

You talk of preparedness as if it's a bad thing. Preparing for a disaster, man made or otherwise, doesn't make a person paranoid or provide evidence of living in fear any more than buckling your seatbelt proves that you live your life in fear of a car wreck.

There are a lot of reasons to have a supply of food, water, waterproof tarp, a couple blanket, cash, waterproof lighter, and important documents readily available. While a terrorist attack may seem unlikely, particularly in the Midwest*, floods, tornados, fires, environmental disasters and the like are all real possibilities.

Several years ago my parents, living in Hutchinson, KS, had a Sherriff's Deputy show up at their door telling them to leave, RIGHT NOW. They were in the area affected by underground natural gas explosions. Nobody saw that coming.

The ability to be self sustaining for 72 hours can mean the difference between life and death. In other cases it might be the difference between life sucking or life sucking and beeing cold, thirsty and hungry while you are sitting in the rain waiting for the Red Cross to show up.

*Unless you consider domestic terrorist, then the Midwest is prime territory.

DaneMcCloud
07-05-2007, 11:14 AM
You talk of preparedness as if it's a bad thing. Preparing for a disaster, man made or otherwise, doesn't make a person paranoid or provide evidence of living in fear any more than buckling your seatbelt proves that you live your life in fear of a car wreck.

There are a lot of reasons to have a supply of food, water, waterproof tarp, a couple blanket, cash, waterproof lighter, and important documents readily available. While a terrorist attack may seem unlikely, particularly in the Midwest*, floods, tornados, fires, environmental disasters and the like are all real possibilities.

Several years ago my parents, living in Hutchinson, KS, had a Sherriff's Deputy show up at their door telling them to leave, RIGHT NOW. They were in the area affected by underground natural gas explosions. Nobody saw that coming.

The ability to be self sustaining for 72 hours can mean the difference between life and death. In other cases it might be the difference between life sucking or life sucking and beeing cold, thirsty and hungry while you are sitting in the rain waiting for the Red Cross to show up.

*Unless you consider domestic terrorist, then the Midwest is prime territory.

Being prepared for a natural disaster, especially living in the Midwest with absolutely horrible weather and storms that can strike at any time, is a far cry from being prepared for a terrorist attack! Has the fear and paranoia really spread into people's minds and hearts there so much that you'd really *prepare* for one?

That's bizarre thinking to me. I live in Los Angeles, travel to NYC regularly, know plenty of New Yorkers that lived through 9/11 and I don't know anyone that discusses or worries about such things. Most people I know think it was a one in ten million shot - they got lucky. Absolutely everything fell into place for them on 9/11. I find it hard to believe that will all the safeguards and security in place, that they will be able to duplicate those types of efforts.

While it may happen again, I'm certainly not going to "prepare" for it. If a suitcase nuke or "dirty" bomb goes off in Los Angeles, I don't think that having some water and canned goods will do me much good.

Hog Farmer
07-05-2007, 11:15 AM

What, the Russians are coming! Shit . I'm not prepared for that.

No, my main concern is the power grid. Call it paranoia if you want, but I'm not gonna be one to look back and say well I sure wish I'd done this or done that. I went without electricity for a week this past winter and it really opened my eyes. Hogs can't live more than three days without water. We had an ice storm that took out all the electric lines. It was a bitch. All the portable generators in the area were swooped up fast. I finally found one in Amarillo that I got hooked up to a water well. In the end I was charged $4000 to hold that generator for two weeks. Never again will I be caught with my pants down.

Hog Farmer
07-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Being prepared for a natural disaster, especially living in the Midwest with absolutely horrible weather and storms that can strike at any time, is a far cry from being prepared for a terrorist attack! Has the fear and paranoia really spread into people's minds and hearts there so much that you'd really *prepare* for one?

That's bizarre thinking to me. I live in Los Angeles, travel to NYC regularly, know plenty of New Yorkers that lived through 9/11 and I don't know anyone that discusses or worries about such things. Most people I know think it was a one in ten million shot - they got lucky. Absolutely everything fell into place for them on 9/11. I find it hard to believe that will all the safeguards and security in place, that they will be able to duplicate those types of efforts.

While it may happen again, I'm certainly not going to "prepare" for it. If a suitcase nuke or "dirty" bomb goes off in Los Angeles, I don't think that having some water and canned goods will do me much good.

I'll bet all those people that don't worry about it now were singing a different tune on the 12th of September 2001. If enough time goes by you tend to get complacent. Not Good!

DaneMcCloud
07-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Paranoia.... If the terrorist hit electric grid. Water plants in coordinated effort. Alot of people will be effected. But proving they can do it anywhere is also an option.

I've spoken to my friend about this type of scenario and it's virtually impossible. Lake Hollywood is right behind my home. It's a water reservoir that's used for fires and as an emergency water source for L.A. county. To poison that water supply, any terrorist group would need over 500 55 gallon drums of poison dumped in that lake to have any affect on the water supply. Considering that the only street heading up to the lake is 20 foot wide and would pass by about 40 homes to get there, (and the fact that's there's security on duty 24-7 and always has been), it's not gonna happen. These people have analyzed every possible scenario and come up with plans for each and I'm very impressed with their preparedness.

Again, I'm not concerned.

All Citizens should be watchful of out of the ordinary activities.

Not depend entirely on gov't to protect.

If I saw something out of the ordinary (like semis hauling up hundreds of 55 gallon drums), I'd notify the authorities. But in a city like Los Angeles that has over 25 million people living in the city and surrounding area, that's pretty much impossible. Especially when there is a large contingent of Arabs living here, the majority of them quite weathy.

I just don't think that these "terrorists" are as sophisticated as some people seem to believe. And as I've stated in other related threads, from what I've been told, our Counter-Terrorism people are more concerned with terrorists obtaining rocket launchers and shooting down planes at LAX more than surgical strike such as a combined power-grid/water plant scheme.

DaneMcCloud
07-05-2007, 11:31 AM
I'll bet all those people that don't worry about it now were singing a different tune on the 12th of September 2001. If enough time goes by you tend to get complacent. Not Good!

No, not really. Didn't you watch the coverage? "Ordinary" people out in the streets helping one another. Firefighters and police risking there lives everyday. People helping to dig out others in the ruins. That city banded together. The only thing I heard (and I heard this from many, many New Yorkers) is that from that day forward, everyone NEEDS a cell phone. There were too many people without them and it was close to impossible to get in touch with loved ones without a cell.

I think if you told a typical New Yorker that he'd become complacent since 9/11, he or she would probably punch you in the face. No kidding.

DaneMcCloud
07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
What, the Russians are coming! Shit . I'm not prepared for that.

No, my main concern is the power grid. Call it paranoia if you want, but I'm not gonna be one to look back and say well I sure wish I'd done this or done that. I went without electricity for a week this past winter and it really opened my eyes. Hogs can't live more than three days without water. We had an ice storm that took out all the electric lines. It was a bitch. All the portable generators in the area were swooped up fast. I finally found one in Amarillo that I got hooked up to a water well. In the end I was charged $4000 to hold that generator for two weeks. Never again will I be caught with my pants down.

Good for you. It also sounds like not only are preparing for the worst, but that it's absolutely essential for you to have a power generator to run your business. That's the smart move.

Our power grid went out last summer for 48 hours in mid-July. It happened to be in the middle of a heat wave and it was over 95 degrees in my house. We had to pack up and take the doggies to a hotel. It was brutal but if that happened in the winter (or from October to May), we'd have been fine. A little inconvenienced but fine.

trndobrd
07-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Being prepared for a natural disaster, especially living in the Midwest with absolutely horrible weather and storms that can strike at any time, is a far cry from being prepared for a terrorist attack!

The preparations are the same. I don't have one bag marked, "In Case of Tornado" and another marked "In Case of Terrorist Attack".

What are you prepared for? Earthquake? Riot? House fire? Chemical spill? Mudslide? Blackouts? Absolutely nothing?

Has the fear and paranoia really spread into people's minds and hearts there so much that you'd really *prepare* for one? That's bizarre thinking to me. I live in Los Angeles, travel to NYC regularly, know plenty of New Yorkers that lived through 9/11 and I don't know anyone that discusses or worries about such things.

I simply don't understand how you equate "preparation" with "paranoia". I assume you lock your doors at night. Does that mean you are living in fear? Does buckling your seatbelt make you paranoid? Of course not.

Most people I know think it was a one in ten million shot - they got lucky. Absolutely everything fell into place for them on 9/11. I find it hard to believe that will all the safeguards and security in place, that they will be able to duplicate those types of efforts.

That does seem unlikely. Almost like lightening striking the same place twice....or terrorist successfully attacking the same building, twice.

Maybe. Maybe not. I hope you never have to find out.

DaneMcCloud
07-05-2007, 12:17 PM
What are you prepared for? Earthquake? Riot? House fire? Chemical spill? Mudslide? Blackouts? Absolutely nothing?

Earthquake? I lived through the last one, almost 14 years ago. I was without power and gas for a few days. Had to buy water. That was about it. The grocery stores actually overstocked water and it took a long time for them to deplete all the stock. I also have earthquake insurance but since the Northridge earthquake of 1994, the insurance only covers structure, not contents.

Riot? I live in the Hollywood Hills in a 4 story home surrounded by retaining walls as high as 30 foot tall, with pointed, spear-like wrought iron on top. Someone would have to breakthrough my gates and run up 30 stairs just to reach the main floor. I think I'm okay.

Fire? Eight local fire alarms and two that are connected to the LAFD directly. ADT security that's monitored 24/7.

Mudslide? Not in my area. My hillside is solid granite. My home is more than half concrete, most of which is anchored in the granite. I don't think my house is going anywhere.

Blackouts? That's what my Amex Starwood points are for :evil:

Chemical spill? I have no idea how to prepare for that. That certainly wouldn't happen in my neighborhood, though it could happen on the 101 Freeway, which is 2 minutes from my home. I wouldn't know what to do if that happened other than to wait for the city to clean it up.

Maybe. Maybe not. I hope you never have to find out.

Thanks! Me either.

Hog Farmer
07-05-2007, 12:28 PM
No, not really. Didn't you watch the coverage? "Ordinary" people out in the streets helping one another. Firefighters and police risking there lives everyday. People helping to dig out others in the ruins. That city banded together. The only thing I heard (and I heard this from many, many New Yorkers) is that from that day forward, everyone NEEDS a cell phone. There were too many people without them and it was close to impossible to get in touch with loved ones without a cell.

I think if you told a typical New Yorker that he'd become complacent since 9/11, he or she would probably punch you in the face. No kidding.

That reminds me, I need to buy a helment ...with a face mask. Thanks.

trndobrd
07-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Earthquake? I lived through the last one, almost 14 years ago. I was without power and gas for a few days. Had to buy water. That was about it. The grocery stores actually overstocked water and it took a long time for them to deplete all the stock. I also have earthquake insurance but since the Northridge earthquake of 1994, the insurance only covers structure, not contents.

Riot? I live in the Hollywood Hills in a 4 story home surrounded by retaining walls as high as 30 foot tall, with pointed, spear-like wrought iron on top. Someone would have to breakthrough my gates and run up 30 stairs just to reach the main floor. I think I'm okay.

Fire? Eight local fire alarms and two that are connected to the LAFD directly. ADT security that's monitored 24/7.

Mudslide? Not in my area. My hillside is solid granite. My home is more than half concrete, most of which is anchored in the granite. I don't think my house is going anywhere.

Blackouts? That's what my Amex Starwood points are for :evil:

Chemical spill? I have no idea how to prepare for that. That certainly wouldn't happen in my neighborhood, though it could happen on the 101 Freeway, which is 2 minutes from my home. I wouldn't know what to do if that happened other than to wait for the city to clean it up.

Thanks! Me either.

My point isn't that you need to prepare to clean up a chemical spill, gun down terrorists, or put out a housefire. You cannot prepare for every eventuality. However, regardless of how comfortable or secure a person may feel, life has a way slapping you in the face when you least expect it.

My parents were suprised to find out that an underground natural gas storage facility, 25 miles away, was leaking gas that found it's way up through the substrate into their half of the city and started blowing up buildings.

I do believe everyone should be prepared to be self-sustaining for 72 hours at home or if forced to evacuate. A credit card is not self-sustainment.

Myself, I keep most of my camping equipment (which I have for, well, camping), a first aid kit, and some food and water in a single duffle bag. In the same closet, I also keep copies of my some important documents and phone numbers, along with some cash, in a ziplock bag. My wife knows that if anything happens and we cannot contact each other, we will meet at her parents house. If that is inadvisable, we will be at my parents house in the next town over.

Paranoid? I don't see $50 and an hour of time as "living in fear" or "paranoia".

DaneMcCloud
07-05-2007, 02:21 PM
My point isn't that you need to prepare to clean up a chemical spill, gun down terrorists, or put out a housefire. You cannot prepare for every eventuality. However, regardless of how comfortable or secure a person may feel, life has a way slapping you in the face when you least expect it.

My parents were suprised to find out that an underground natural gas storage facility, 25 miles away, was leaking gas that found it's way up through the substrate into their half of the city and started blowing up buildings.

I do believe everyone should be prepared to be self-sustaining for 72 hours at home or if forced to evacuate. A credit card is not self-sustainment.

If terrorists attack the city of Los Angeles, there's probably not much I can do, if anything (depending on the attack). We have 20 freeways, most of them 6 lanes wide. Traffic is congested as it is and if there were an attack, no one would be able to go anywhere to escape. So if life slaps me in the face, it'll also slap 25 million others.

Myself, I keep most of my camping equipment (which I have for, well, camping), a first aid kit, and some food and water in a single duffle bag. In the same closet, I also keep copies of my some important documents and phone numbers, along with some cash, in a ziplock bag. My wife knows that if anything happens and we cannot contact each other, we will meet at her parents house. If that is inadvisable, we will be at my parents house in the next town over.

Paranoid? I don't see $50 and an hour of time as "living in fear" or "paranoia".

None of those things would do me any good if there were a terrorist strike. But I'm glad you're prepared.

el borracho
07-05-2007, 02:26 PM

I can't beleave the level of stupidity at this place.Some people have BDS so bad they're level of
I can't believe the irony.

Logical
07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I sincerely am happy that so many of you are prepared. Congrats.

memyselfI
07-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Ozzie Osborne and the Kinks would be so proud of some of this bunch.

trndobrd
07-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I sincerely am happy that so many of you are prepared. Congrats.

Glad I could brighten your day.

trndobrd
07-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Ozzie Osborne and the Kinks would be so proud of some of this bunch.

Not paranoid, just someone who has worked a few natural disasters.

Logical
07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Glad I could brighten your day.

You misunderstand, I am actually happy that some people prepare. It is personally not for me, I am more a live life as it comes type and deal with the disaster when it occurs. That is just the way I am.

BucEyedPea
07-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Really though, how can anyone be prepared for an act of terror?
They hold the element of surprise. All we can do is hope our intel works to nab it before it can happen. After that, all we can do is sympathize with the victims and do what can be done to save the survivors. Then clean up the mess.

AFAIC the best preparation would simply be to move our troops off Muslim lands and monitor the Gulf area for oil with ships.

BucEyedPea
07-05-2007, 05:41 PM
The name for the one after this"

Supercaliterroristickexpialidocious

ClevelandBronco
07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
The name for the one after this"

Supercaliterroristickexpialidocious

SuperAliAtwaFatwahAliAmzahHumed.

Even though the sound of it is something like Mohammed,

if you scream, "Allah Akbar!" you want all infidels dead.

SuperAliAtwaFatwahAliAmzahHumed!

(Hum-diddle-iddle-we're-all-gonna-die. Hum-diddle-iddle-we're-all-gonna-die.)

BucEyedPea
07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
ROFL ROFL

Otter
07-06-2007, 11:29 AM
According to this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suitcase_bomb) the payload of the bombs used in Japan were around 12-13 kilotons.

A suitcase nuke would be in the range of 1kt. Still very damaging, but not on the scale of Fat Man and Little Boy.
What the fock does Frazod and Rausch have to do with this?

If suitcase bombs could be made in the 90's I'm pretty sure they could be made again in 2007. Do I worry about them? No, no I don't. Do I enjoy asking myself questions then answering them?

Yes, yes I do.

Ultra Peanut
07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
The "Terror Specta... 07-05-2007 10:16 AM Hog Farmer should should call yourself ultra dumbass