PDA

View Full Version : N.C. Fisherman Reels in a Piranha

Smed1065
07-03-2007, 05:38 PM
MOUNT HOLLY, N.C. - A fisherman looking to catch a catfish for dinner instead reeled in a fish that flashed its teeth and bit his knife. Jerry Melton, 46, was fishing in the Catawba River last week when he caught what state wildlife officials later identified as a piranha, a South American carnivorous fish that lives in freshwater.

"When I got it on the bank I didn't really know what it was; I hadn't seen anything like it before," Melton said.

When Melton opened the fish's mouth with a pocketknife, he said the fish bit down and left an impression on the blade.

Wildlife officials told Melton on Saturday that he caught a 1 pound, 4 ounce piranha that was probably dumped in the river. Melton was fishing in Mount Holly, a town northwest of Charlotte.

The catch highlights the growing problem of people keeping exotic animals and fish as pets and later dumping them into local waters, said Paul Barrington, an ichthyologist with the Fort Fisher Aquarium. Earlier this year, another fisherman caught a snakehead fish _ also a nonnative fish _ in Lake Wylie near Charlotte.

"Releasing nonnative fish in our native waters is highly irresponsible because it could have a very adverse affect on the fish in that ecosystem," Barrington said. "Piranha and the snakehead fish have no predators in our waters."

Jacob Rash, a North Carolina Wildlife Resources biologist, said he believes the piranha was the first caught in the Catawba River and possibly the first in the region.

Melton, who is keeping the piranha in his freezer until he can have it mounted, said the experience will keep him out of the river's water.

"I've been fishing there my whole life," he said. "Catching something like that is definitely going to make me think twice about what's in that water."

http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRANGE&fn=/2007/07/03/705995.html&cvqh=itn_pirhana

KCChiefsMan
07-03-2007, 05:52 PM
definately the catch of the day

Donger
07-03-2007, 05:53 PM
I wanted to be an ichthyologist when I was a boy.

Rain Man
07-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I wanted to be a scratchyologist when I was a kid.

Marco Polo
07-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I've been biten by piranhas before when I was in the Amazon. They just feel like a mosquito bite.

Saggysack
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Happens all the time. Where I work we have a few ponds that employees and family are allowed to fish in. A couple years ago a guy pulled 2 large piranha out within a couple days. Both were over a foot long. We have a few pictures of them at work somewhere. I'll have to find them when I get the chance and post them

People who have them in their aquarium just dump them into lakes, ponds and rivers when they get too big.

Simplex3
07-03-2007, 07:02 PM
People who have them in their aquarium just dump them into lakes, ponds and rivers when they get too big.
$10 says it's the same f**ksticks that toss their cigarette butts out the window of their car. Like that butt is what's making their car smell like ass. It has nothing to do with the smoking or the wretched clothes they wear in there daily.

Marco Polo
07-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Happens all the time. Where I work we have a few ponds that employees and family are allowed to fish in. A couple years ago a guy pulled 2 large piranha out within a couple days. Both were over a foot long. We have a few pictures of them at work somewhere. I'll have to find them when I get the chance and post them

I would be interested to see a picture of that.

listopencil
07-03-2007, 11:24 PM
$10 says it's the same f**ksticks that toss their cigarette butts out the window of their car. Like that butt is what's making their car smell like ass. It has nothing to do with the smoking or the wretched clothes they wear in there daily.

I never do that. I make small log cabin replicas with them and hurl them at kids who come too close to my front yard. It's great fun.

cdcox
07-03-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm hoping this turns into a noodling thread.

Redrum_69
07-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I wanted to be an ichthyologist when I was a boy.

because your mom's red snapper smelled like tuna?

Baby Lee
07-04-2007, 09:05 AM
I wanted to be a scratchyologist when I was a kid.
When I was a kid I was always wondering "Hey! Where's Pootchie?"

MOhillbilly
07-04-2007, 09:54 AM
i wanted to get a piranha acouple months back the person at the petstore said someone caught one in tablerock and you couldnt purchase them.

Lzen
07-04-2007, 11:09 AM
A few months ago, they found a 3 foot long alligator in Shawnee Lake in Topeka. People buy these exotic pets and then dump them when they no longer want them. Very irresponsible.

Smed1065
07-04-2007, 11:17 AM
So my goldfish did not want free? My parents lied.......

trndobrd
07-04-2007, 11:24 AM
So my goldfish did not want free? My parents lied.......

Sorry to be the one to break it to you...they weren't taking a nap either.