PDA

View Full Version : I just cancelled my NFL Sunday Ticket

Herzig
07-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I've watched the prices of it go up every year by $20-25. Being still close to KC, almost every KC game here is televised. If you are thinking about canceling Sunday Ticket and you have to cancel it before the end of July or they will make you pay the full amount.

$250 a year was too much for me...

Simplex3
07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
I dropped it two years ago. I also don't pay to go to games. I haven't called Everest to demand they carry the games on the NFL Network. As I grow older I care less about watching all the football I can and just enjoy the games I do get to see for what they are.

Hell, I missed whole weekends last year and I survived. Five years ago I wouldn't have told you that was possible.

foxman
07-04-2007, 10:03 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't realize it was $250.00 this year. Is that with the HD and all the extras or just straight NFL ticket?

Baconeater
07-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Good. The less people that pay for it the better chance of breaking Directv's stranglehold on it.

Mr. Laz
07-04-2007, 10:12 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't realize it was $250.00 this year. Is that with the HD and all the extras or just straight NFL ticket?
just straight NFL ticket .... pretty sure

last time i got it the price was $199 ..... so i imagine it's up to 250 now.

Herzig
07-04-2007, 10:17 AM
It's $250 for the Early Bird "Special" with no extras(HD/gamepack)

chief52
07-04-2007, 10:23 AM
The early bird special is actually 5 payments of $45.80 for a total of $229 up $20 from last season's $209...

http://directv.innovyx.net/v?xJJPPcnEPqvcnqJP

Herzig
07-04-2007, 10:25 AM
The early bird special is actually 5 payments of $45.80 for a total of $229 up $20 from last season's $209...

http://directv.innovyx.net/v?xJJPPcnEPqvcnqJP

Nope...it's 5 payments of $49

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=900044

Special Early Bird Offer: Get a head start on the 2007 NFL season by ordering NFL SUNDAY TICKET today for just 5 payments of $49.80. You'll save $20 off the regular season price. Offer ends July 31

chief52
07-04-2007, 10:26 AM

Special Early Bird Offer: Get a head start on the 2007 NFL season by ordering NFL SUNDAY TICKET today for just 5 payments of $49.80. You'll save $20 off the regular season price. Offer ends July 31

Check the link on my post...

OnTheWarpath58
07-04-2007, 10:28 AM

The mailer I just received says 5 / $45.80 = $229.00

chief52
07-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Bob Dole started a thread on it a while back..

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164368&page=3&pp=15&highlight=package+directv

Chief Henry
07-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I dropped it two years ago. I also don't pay to go to games. I haven't called Everest to demand they carry the games on the NFL Network. As I grow older I care less about watching all the football I can and just enjoy the games I do get to see for what they are.

Hell, I missed whole weekends last year and I survived. Five years ago I wouldn't have told you that was possible.

I'm starting to feel the same way. I got my Direct TV NFL Ticket information this past week too and I'm seriously thinking of not renewing.

The NFL is not as important to me anymore. Maybe its my age.
I'll be 45 this month and the Chiefs ARE NOT AS IMPORTANT TO ME ANYMORE

Maybe its because I've spent too much of an emotional investment in them the last 25 years that I'm now just sick and tired of them FAILING.

When the Chiefs lost to the New Orleans Saints 2 or 3 years ago,
I can pin point that game as the turning point in my life as loosing
alot of passion for the CHIEFS.

Herzig
07-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Check the link on my post...

I wonder which link has the correct price? Mine is straight from the DirecTV site.

Baconeater
07-04-2007, 10:40 AM
I wonder which link has the correct price? Mine is straight from the DirecTV site.
Directv has a history of telling people two different things. They probably figure they can get a few people to unknowingly pay more than they have to that way.

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't know much about anti-trust laws, but why isn't the NFL and DTV not in violation?

Fruit Ninja
07-04-2007, 10:55 AM
I dont think i could just not have the Sunday ticket. At least not anytime soon. There is no way i am watching the Raiders and 9'ers play. I hate these 2 f'in teams. If i lived in KC or something, then i would have no problem not having the Sunday ticket.

Simplex3
07-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't know much about anti-trust laws, but why isn't the NFL and DTV not in violation?
I'm pretty sure you don't have to watch football to live in society today.

chief52
07-04-2007, 11:00 AM

Me too...is it possible there is a "early bird" price as well as a "renewal" price?

Baconeater
07-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Because the cable companies are still allowed to bid on the NFL package.

Herzig
07-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Me too...is it possible there is a "early bird" price as well as a "renewal" price?

That was both in my case. If you log into your DTV account online, you can see what they will start charging you next month. For me, it was $49.80 over 5 payments.

Smed1065
07-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Now where am I going to use my slingbox?

Its $149.00 one time price. My brother is good for something...........:)

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Because the cable companies are still allowed to bid on the NFL package.I get that. What I don't get is why is it exclusive to DTV? Everyone has the MLB, NHL, NBA, and NCAA packages available.

chief52
07-04-2007, 11:38 AM
That was both in my case. If you log into your DTV account online, you can see what they will start charging you next month. For me, it was $49.80 over 5 payments.

Sounds like they are throwing lots of sh@t out there. I definitely am giving them the $45.80.

DaFace
07-04-2007, 11:47 AM

Its $149.00 one time price. My brother is good for something...........:)

I've been thinking about trying that out. Does it work pretty well? Decent picture quality?

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2007, 11:50 AM

Its $149.00 one time price. My brother is good for something...........:)What is that?

Smed1065
07-04-2007, 11:51 AM
I just purchased it because it was on sale @buy.com.
I will let you know as soon as he sets it up. I live in Atlanta and hope it makes it a lot easier to catch the Chiefs. Will update after I use it.

DaFace
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
What is that?

The Slingbox is a TV streaming device that enables consumers to remotely view their cable, satellite, or personal video recorder (PVR) programming from an Internet-enabled computer with a broadband Internet connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingbox

Basically, find a friend who is inside the Chiefs broadcast area and who is willing to let you leech off of their internet for a few hours each week, and you can get decent quality games streamed to you for free.

You can typically find ways to get streamed games otherwise (a la SOPcast), but this is much higher quality.

DaFace
07-04-2007, 11:55 AM
I just purchased it because it was on sale @buy.com.
I will let you know as soon as he sets it up. I live in Atlanta and hope it makes it a lot easier to catch the Chiefs. Will update after I use it.

Cool. I'm debating between trying this out or biting the bullet for DirecTV. If the quality is decent, though, I'm sure I could talk a family member into hooking it up for me.

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2007, 12:02 PM
The Slingbox is a TV streaming device that enables consumers to remotely view their cable, satellite, or personal video recorder (PVR) programming from an Internet-enabled computer with a broadband Internet connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingbox

Basically, find a friend who is inside the Chiefs broadcast area and who is willing to let you leech off of their internet for a few hours each week, and you can get decent quality games streamed to you for free.

You can typically find ways to get streamed games otherwise (a la SOPcast), but this is much higher quality.Wow. That sounds awesome.

Baconeater
07-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I get that. What I don't get is why is it exclusive to DTV? Everyone has the MLB, NHL, NBA, and NCAA packages available.
I'm guessing here, but it's probably because in exchange for the ridiculous amount of $ that DTV is giving the NFL, DTV wants exclusive rights.

Nzoner
07-04-2007, 01:58 PM
I paid for mine already @ $229

morphius
07-04-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing here, but it's probably because in exchange for the ridiculous amount of $ that DTV is giving the NFL, DTV wants exclusive rights.
Yup, they paid a billion for exclusive rights till 2010 or something silly like that. What I find interesting is that they already have the contract, but the cost keeps going up $20.

Skip Towne
07-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Yup, they paid a billion for exclusive rights till 2010 or something silly like that. What I find interesting is that they already have the contract, but the cost keeps going up $20.
I hate Big Football!

chiefsfan1963
07-04-2007, 02:09 PM
prices will always go up for convenience. For less than $16 per game chief fans from out of town can see their team each week on HD and never leave their home. That's cheap! Add Super fan for an extra $100 then that's $22/game. Still cheap for the convenience.

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm guessing here, but it's probably because in exchange for the ridiculous amount of $ that DTV is giving the NFL, DTV wants exclusive rights.Probably. If DTV were to lose rights to the Ticket, they cease to exist...

morphius
07-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I hate Big Football!
Good for you boy, want a cookie?

DaFace
07-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Probably. If DTV were to lose rights to the Ticket, they cease to exist...

Probably so. I actually don't have very good feelings toward them, but I'm seriously considering switching from Comcast just so I can get the ticket. Bastards.

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Probably so. I actually don't have very good feelings toward them, but I'm seriously considering switching from Comcast just so I can get the ticket. Bastards.Yeah, its like selling your soul to Satan...

Baconeater
07-04-2007, 02:46 PM
I hate Big Football!
Heh, that's actually funny because as much as I like to rag on DTV, I'm more pissed at the NFL for allowing it.

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Heh, that's actually funny because as much as I like to rag on DTV, I'm more pissed at the NFL for allowing it.This is true. You'd think they would want as many people as possible to view their product.

HemiEd
07-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Good luck with it Herzig. I would sooner have a vasectomy than lose my Sunday Ticket.
Heck, I would even take a ride in a Toyota first.

Logical
07-04-2007, 03:50 PM
This is true. You'd think they would want as many people as possible to view their product.

It is not about number of viewers it is about revenue stream.

Baconeater
07-04-2007, 04:08 PM
It is not about number of viewers it is about revenue stream.
More viewers=more $? :shrug:

I think it has more to do with simplicity, the NFL would rather negotiate one huge contract than a bunch of little ones.

Herzig
07-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Good luck with it Herzig. I would sooner have a vasectomy than lose my Sunday Ticket.
Heck, I would even take a ride in a Toyota first.

Thanks...if I lived in Illinois, I would keep it. Since I only live 3.5 hours south of KC, most of the Chiefs games are televised here. Buffalo Wild Wings is only 5 miles from my house, so it they aren't on, I will just cruise on over there for the 1 or 2 games that not on.

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2007, 04:20 PM
More viewers=more $? :shrug:

Thats what I thought...

chiefsfan1963
07-04-2007, 05:55 PM
I just confirmed with DTV and you have to buy the Super Fan package to get most of the games in HD. So The Ticket is really $350. Alot of money for the average person, but still worth it.

Smed1065
07-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I just confirmed with DTV and you have to buy the Super Fan package to get most of the games in HD. So The Ticket is really $350. Alot of money for the average person, but still worth it.

Thats only gas money for me to one game.......Unfortunately my line of sight will not allow DTV, or lack there of. I got tired of Sopcast and others quality and dependability issues. The pro version was $159 delivered and I had a $15 coupon for it. I hope it works like I hope!

jlscorpio
07-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Wassup Herzig...I'm buying back in after a 3 yr break. I can't stomach Vikings/Pacjers/Cheatin Donkeys every week anymore. Plus I just put money down on my Sony SXRD set last week. Drop me a line brutha.

DaneMcCloud
07-04-2007, 09:15 PM

If you live out of state and don't get the Chiefs games, that price is the cost of airfare only (no hotel, food, cab or shuttle, let alone ticket) to one game alone. It's definitely worth it to anyone not living in the region.

I'd pay $500 a year for the NFL Ticket & HD broadcasts. It's a good thing too because soon, I probably will be paying that much...

chop
07-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I stopped receiving the ticket 3 or 4 years ago. I actually got rid of my dish. I kept having problems with my reception and my wife wanted to switch to cable. When I had it, I watched way too much football. Now if the game that is on TV is bad I do something else. If I quit playing fantasy football I may see more free time on Sundays.

Pestilence
07-04-2007, 11:22 PM
I actually just cancelled mine as well. I know I'll miss being able to watch the Chiefs whenever I want.....but I just can't see paying $250. Plus work is really going to be busy and I won't be home much on the weekends......I'll get it back next year.

Mile High Mania
07-05-2007, 06:40 AM
If I didn't have 3 kids and knew I would be able to spend all day on Sunday watching football... I'd buy it. But, since I do have 3 kids running around... I just go down the road to the sports bar or a place like that to watch the Broncos' game.

HemiEd
07-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks...if I lived in Illinois, I would keep it. Since I only live 3.5 hours south of KC, most of the Chiefs games are televised here. Buffalo Wild Wings is only 5 miles from my house, so it they aren't on, I will just cruise on over there for the 1 or 2 games that not on.

Sounds like a good plan. We had all but 1 game on up here, 2005 season. But last year, it was not very many.

Before the DTV dish was available, I would go to a sports bar and have to watch it without audio. That was back when all the Bears fans, had converted to Packer fans.
Of course, now they are loyal Bears fans again.

LOCOChief
07-05-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't like i but I will pay it, it's the only way I can catch my Chiefs now that I've relocated. But when are the cost increases going to stop and what other shows, sports will soon be pay per view or direct tv. We have boxing to thank for this.

Can't they run it like PBS on the honor system, I would pay, really I would.

Whoarethechefs
07-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I cancelled ST on Friday, was shocked that I didnt have to spend 20 minutes on th phone explaining why I was cancelling.

Was really expecting them to offer me a discount, like they have the last couple of years.

I've had ST for 6 years, started at $99 - now its $250, as much as I'll miss watching the 14 games that won't be televised here in the comfort of my own home, I'd rather drop the 250 at my local Famous Sams than give another dime to DTV for ST.

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Why cant one of the planeteers slip a camcorder into a game...or better yet get a field pass...record the whole game live..and broadcast it free back to us all

or better yet

Create a Chiefsplanet Premium membership, and then supply the live video feed to the premium members only..that will cover any fees or jail time.

grandllama
07-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I've been thinking about trying that out. Does it work pretty well? Decent picture quality?

I'm watching my TIVO in Indianapolis from my hotel room in Strasbourg France... works like a charm. Slingbox is the best $179 I ever spent.

DaFace
07-05-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm watching my TIVO in Indianapolis from my hotel room in Strasbourg France... works like a charm. Slingbox is the best $179 I ever spent.

Nice! I'm seriously considering it. I'm considering just putting the basic one (tuner) in my parents' place so that it doesn't affect their viewing at all. Might be kinda fun just to be able to tune into the local news there once in a while anyway.

Fish
07-05-2007, 03:59 PM

Good idea....

Does slingbox allow for multiple connections? Say you and your sibling pulling the game from the same slingbox at the same time?

DaFace
07-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Good idea....

Does slingbox allow for multiple connections? Say you and your sibling pulling the game from the same slingbox at the same time?

As far as I can tell, it's a one-to-one thing. They say it's because of potential copyright violations.

foxman
07-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Having lived in NC since 84, I had grown accustomed to not being able to watch the Chiefs for all 16 games. When the Panthers came in, I was able to go to some games and of course they make sure you get a steady diet of their games and it was ok....until my wife got me the the S.T. with the explanation that for the cost of going to just one game I could now watch all of the games. That was a long time ago, and the $250.00 would still cover the cost of going to a game, it's just chaps my butt because I know that this is never going to end and at some point for whatever reason I am going to have to cutt off the S.T.

I refuse to pay the other hundy to get the Hi-Def and all those quirky channels that they offer because enough is enough...

Maybe next year I'll cancel.

DeepPurple
07-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I have Comcast with digital cable, if you want the NFL Network or you have HD that's what you need, here in the Baltimore area it starts at about $70 a month. I also have the HD box and all the premium movie channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, Encore and all the related channels so my actual bill is $118 a month with tax.

The NFL Network was charging Comcast 55 cents a customer so now after two years of digital cable I just lost the NFL Network. Comcast has decided to make the NFL Network a premium channel, not only do you need digital cable but they make you buy a sports package for $4.95 a month to get it.

Funny thing is, I wasn't even upset when they took the NFL Network off two weeks ago. I guess I'm like some of the other guys, as you get older you lose interest in watching all the NFL talk and shows, I'll turn 57 on July 10th.

munkey
07-05-2007, 06:23 PM
I guess I'm like some of the other guys, as you get older you lose interest in watching all the NFL talk and shows, I'll turn 57 on July 10th.

It's not your age...NFL network just plain sucks ass during the off season.

Skip Towne
07-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I have Comcast with digital cable, if you want the NFL Network or you have HD that's what you need, here in the Baltimore area it starts at about $70 a month. I also have the HD box and all the premium movie channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, Encore and all the related channels so my actual bill is $118 a month with tax.

The NFL Network was charging Comcast 55 cents a customer so now after two years of digital cable I just lost the NFL Network. Comcast has decided to make the NFL Network a premium channel, not only do you need digital cable but they make you buy a sports package for $4.95 a month to get it.

Funny thing is, I wasn't even upset when they took the NFL Network off two weeks ago. I guess I'm like some of the other guys, as you get older you lose interest in watching all the NFL talk and shows, I'll turn 57 on July 10th.
57 is about when my interest started waning. I used to think the world would end if I missed a game. Now it's meh.