PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney to have knee surgery

Sam Hall
07-04-2007, 06:15 PM
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

Royals captain Mike Sweeney expects to miss two to six weeks after he undergoes surgery Thursday to alleviate ongoing pain in his right knee.

“I have cartilage under my kneecap that is softening or degenerative,” Sweeney said. “They found something floating in there. I don’t know if it’s a bone chip or cartilage or what. But it hurts like the dickens.”

Sweeney, 33, has been on the disabled list since June 19 but appeared to be making progress in his recovery until he tested the knee Monday night in running drills for the first time.

“It locked up on me three or four times,” he said. “I couldn’t even walk afterward, and I couldn’t walk on Tuesday.”

By Wednesday, Sweeney was able to hobble around the clubhouse, but the pain remained severe. The surgery will be the first in his 17-year professional career.

“We tried the non-surgical approach,” he said. “I had two cortisone shots, two gel shots and rest. It’s something that bothered me for about a month and a half. I played through it for about a month. After the home game (June 17) against Florida, I just couldn’t run.

“So I went on the DL and didn’t run on it for two weeks. Now, we have no choice but to go in there and scope it and clean it up.”

Steve Joyce, the club’s chief physician, will perform the procedure.

“He’s the best orthopedic surgeon in our city,” Sweeney said. “He’s going to do a great job. He told me that I’d be back in two weeks on the good end or six weeks on the bad end.

“It depends on what he finds. He’s going to clean up whatever needs to be cleaned up.”

Sweeney’s absence clears the way for rookie Billy Butler to remain the club’s regular designated hitter. Butler raised his average to .286 when he went three for five Tuesday and drove in six runs in a 17-3 victory over Seattle.

“It’s the role I have right now,” Butler said. “I can’t worry about anything else. All I can do is control what I do on the field. The opportunities I’m given, I’ve got to make the best of them.”

Sweeney dismissed the possibility of retirement — something he suggested previously was a possibility if he suffered another major injury. He has spent extensive time on the disabled list in recent years primarily because of neck and back problems.

“I definitely want to keep playing,” he said. “I spoke with (general manager) Dayton Moore, and Dayton asked me if I wanted to play beyond this year. My answer was 100 percent yes.

“I wasn’t sure before, but now I want to keep playing. Where or in what role, that’s all up in the air. But I do want to keep playing.”

Sweeney is a five-time All-Star in his 13-year career but has played more than 108 games only once since 2002. He is batting just .245 this season in 57games with seven homers and 31 RBIs.

“When I hit Monday (in pregame batting practice),” he said, “it was the best I’d felt all year. Then I ran afterward and didn’t feel too good. But if I went around here moaning about my poor back or my poor knee, nobody is going to listen.

“I have to let people know you can still have joy during the storms, and this is a storm in my life. I still want to be the same guy.”

Sam Hall
07-04-2007, 06:19 PM
This could mean that Billy Butler won't be sent down to the minors. And Moore has hinted that he won't trade Sweeney anyway.

BWillie
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
This could mean that Billy Butler won't be sent down to the minors. And Moore has hinted that he won't trade Sweeney anyway.

What a good waste of 11 million dollars.

Sam Hall
07-04-2007, 06:26 PM
What a good waste of 11 million dollars.

Should have traded him to the Angels a couple years ago before all these injuries. The train has left the station.

Deberg_1990
07-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Typical...... Mike Brittle is back ladies and gentleman!

ChiefaRoo
07-04-2007, 06:59 PM
He's made of glass.

Sure-Oz
07-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Well so much for trading him, only plus is that butler gets to play but i wouldve liked an AA pitcher or something for him.

Cochise
07-04-2007, 07:22 PM
The guy is 34. He was drafted in 1991. He spent probably 10 years as a professional as a catcher. It's not like someone with this profile being injured is unexpected.

If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at Allard Baird for offering him the contract with 2 extra years at the end. Don't be mad at the guy who committed to this city to play ball here when he could have gone elsewhere like all the potential stars of yesteryear did. Don't be mad at him for cashing his paychecks. Regardless of not being what he once was, he's out there playing injured all the time, trying to contribute however he can.

I don't get it. Why trash a guy for not being young anymore?

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-04-2007, 07:29 PM
The guy is 34. He was drafted in 1991. He spent probably 10 years as a professional as a catcher. It's not like someone with this profile being injured is unexpected.

If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at Allard Baird for offering him the contract with 2 extra years at the end. Don't be mad at the guy who committed to this city to play ball here when he could have gone elsewhere like all the potential stars of yesteryear did. Don't be mad at him for cashing his paychecks. Regardless of not being what he once was, he's out there playing injured all the time, trying to contribute however he can.

:clap:

Brianfo
07-04-2007, 07:30 PM

I agree 110%. This city is so quick to bash Mike Sweeney. He stayed on board with this town and this team when he could so have easily gone elsewhere. He was a great hitter in his prime. I say give the man some love. If you want to bash someone, give it to Carlos Beltran or Johnny Damon. Those guys were me players. Mike Sweeney is all about the KC Royals. Go Blue!!

Pitt Gorilla
07-04-2007, 07:47 PM

I don't get it. Why trash a guy for not being young anymore?He agreed to play ball for the Royals for 5 years for that money. He has not come anywhere close to living up to his end of the bargain.

kstater
07-04-2007, 07:55 PM
He agreed to play ball for the Royals for 5 years for that money. He has not come anywhere close to living up to his end of the bargain.

Is it his fault he got injured? Guy has done everything in his power to play ball, even playing while injured to try to help this team.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Of all the atheletes that deserve some shit for their behavior and ability to play for the big bucks, Mike Sweeney isn't one of them. He and Griffey Jr. play their hearts out. They don't get injured on purpose.

Mr. Laz
07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
needed more Milk

Coach
07-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Well, there goes all the trade value he has right out the window. As I predicted, he wouldn't even come close playing 100 games this year.

:shake:

I have nothing aganist Sweeney, but it is time for him to hang it up. His body is breaking down pretty damn quick, and if he wants to stay healthy for the rest of his life.

Fruit Ninja
07-04-2007, 10:35 PM
He agreed to play ball for the Royals for 5 years for that money. He has not come anywhere close to living up to his end of the bargain.
Wouldnt you agree to that much? Hell Catchers do not have long careers' if they do they go to the DH or the 1b position about 5-7 years into their careers.

Some do play a long long time, but most dont.

Al Bundy
07-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I am just glad we will be out from under his wasted salary. I do wonder why his body has completely broken down since receiving his money.

gblowfish
07-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Mike Sweeney is a cancer on this team. They will never be nothing more than bottom feeders while he is the captain, gosh darn it.

He's just another welfare cheat, imho.

CoMoChief
07-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Good lord dump his ass already.

Deberg_1990
07-04-2007, 11:54 PM
The guy is 34. He was drafted in 1991. He spent probably 10 years as a professional as a catcher.

I wonder how many games he played at Catcher? Last time i remember him playing catcher was like 96 or 97?? Thats not 10 years.

GoHuge
07-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Sweeney is a great human being, but his time has come to an end on the baseball field. I don't consider it a waste of $55 million. The guy's body just broke down. Of course if there was a crysal ball that would have been great to have, but everybody thought this was a great move when we signed him to a long term deal.

I don't wish anything bad to happen to anybody but I'm thrilled that Billy will be up here for a while. I think the way he is swinging the bat the Royals won't be able to send him back down. He has nothing at all to gain by crushing the ball in AAA. I read an article a while back that talked about Butler wanting to only be a DH. Insinuating he hated playing in the field. I don't know if that is the case or not, but I' tickled shitless to have him as only a DH. I don't think he's capable of much more. We saw first hand what a disaster he is in the outfield. Let the kid rake.

eazyb81
07-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Ha, of course he's not going to just retire, he would have to give up a nice chunk of that $11 mill salary that he's "worked" so hard for this year.

I don't care how nice Sweeney is or how much he loves the Royals, the guy is a total loser and his contract has been an albatross for this franchise. I would much rather be paying Beltran or Damon $20 mill a year rather than give Sweeney $11 mill for playing half of the games.

I can't wait until he's off the team.

bobbything
07-05-2007, 09:02 AM
He was a little behind his injury schedule this season. I'm saying we got a great value for what we paid. Relatively speaking, of course.

And, fwiw, back in 2002, his contract stated that if the Royals weren't a .500 team by 2004, his contract was void and he could go elsewhere. But, because of the season they had in 2003, he's stuck here through this year.

It's not exactly like he just voluntarily stayed in KC out of the goodness of his fragile heart.

Sure-Oz
07-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Wonder if he'll be re-signed next year for way lower pay. Like a 1 year deal?

ChiTown
07-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Wonder if he'll be re-signed next year for way lower pay. Like a 1 year deal?

I don't see one scenario that exists where that would happen.

IMO, He will sign on with a contending AL team that is looking for a guy that come off the bench and be a platoon player. Wherever he goes, it's going to be a team friendly contract. His recent injuries have killed any chance he had at signing a decent MLB deal in 08. Sweeney has not been healthy since 2002.