PDA

View Full Version : Houston postal worker steals thousands of DVDs

Count Zarth
07-04-2007, 09:55 PM
http://www.nbc4.com/news/13612024/detail.html

Postal Worker Steals Thousands Of DVDs

Netflix Notified Post Office About High Number Of Missing DVDs

HOUSTON -- A federal judge in Houston has ordered a year and a-half in prison for a now-former postal clerk in a DVD-by-mail theft investigation.

Authorities accused 53-year-old Anthony Zuniga of Houston of swiping thousands of movies from the mail system. Zuniga was convicted of two counts of mail theft by a postal employee. He also was sentenced Monday to three years probation and must pay a $4,000 fine.

Netflix last year notified the U.S. Postal Service about an unusually high number of DVDs missing from a certain post office box. Investigators said Zuniga was stationed at that center.

Prosecutors said surveillance showed Zuniga stealing 122 DVDs from the post office.On Aug. 3, 2006, inspectors observed Zuniga dumping a tub of Netflix and Blockbuster DVDs into a plastic bag and then leaving the postal facility with the plastic bag.

Zuniga's vehicle was stopped as it was exiting the parking lot and inspectors found the plastic bag containing the DVDs on the floor of the vehicle. The bag contained 122 DVDs.After an interview with postal inspectors, Zuniga consented to a search of his home.

Inside the home, inspectors found 8,177 stolen pieces of mail -- including 5,937 Netflix DVDs and 1,497 Blockbuster DVDs.Zuniga, who had been a Postal Service employee since 1974, resigned his job after being caught stealing the DVDs.

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2007, 10:05 PM
LMAO

Coach
07-04-2007, 10:07 PM
What a moron. :shake:

gblowfish
07-04-2007, 10:21 PM
He was "disgruntled."

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Well, thats better than shooting the place up...

Coach
07-04-2007, 10:23 PM
He was "disgruntled."

No, 'Disgruntled' is when they're picking your underwear up off the floor. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
07-04-2007, 10:27 PM
I wonder if a check from Nick Athan will turn up in the mix.............

Mr. Flopnuts
07-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I wonder if a check from Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan will turn up in the mix.............

.................well, that and 10,000 Christian Okoye autographs.

RJ
07-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I wonder if a check from Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan will turn up in the mix.............

Disgruntled is the opposite of gruntled.

Fruit Ninja
07-04-2007, 10:32 PM
****er got greedy. Should have just taken a few every now and again, but no, he decided to steal thousands. lol

luv
07-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Did you know that they are trying to pass something to where companies can use people who bid on jobs to deliver they're mail for them? People bid on how much to get paid by a company to deliver theyir mail. They then turn around and hire any Joe Blow off the street to pay minimum wage to in order to get the job done. Most of these people will not do drug tests or background screenings. Could you imagine some who lied on an application that had been convicted for theft delivering your credit card statements containing vitally private account information? This is a case of someone who did something wrong. There are other cases. It could be much worse though. Just sayin'.

Yes, i'm drinking.

Groves
07-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey, if you're gonna get fired and shame your mom and all, you might as well have some decent movies. If you only steal a few, you end up risking your life for such titles as "cool runnings", and "grilled", and "When Harold met Kumar" or something.

He made the wrong choice, and then he made the right wrong choice.

jAZ
07-04-2007, 10:42 PM
What a moron. :shake:
In this case it's spelled "maroon" I think.

Orlandochiefsgrl
07-04-2007, 11:22 PM
He will be sitting in prison thinking, "And to think man, I went to prison for that and the movies wern't even in hi def."

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2007, 11:28 PM
I guess you could say they were... LOST IN THE MAIL!

Guru
07-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Did you know that they are trying to pass something to where companies can use people who bid on jobs to deliver they're mail for them? People bid on how much to get paid by a company to deliver theyir mail. They then turn around and hire any Joe Blow off the street to pay minimum wage to in order to get the job done. Most of these people will not do drug tests or background screenings. Could you imagine some who lied on an application that had been convicted for theft delivering your credit card statements containing vitally private account information? This is a case of someone who did something wrong. There are other cases. It could be much worse though. Just sayin'.

Yes, i'm drinking.
Linky?

Guru
07-04-2007, 11:32 PM
In this case it's spelled "maroon" I think.
What a maroon. http://www.longleat.co.uk/news/images/bugs.jpg

luv
07-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Linky?
Dad called me a few weeks ago and explained it to me. I called our state senators to encourage them to not support such an act.

Guru
07-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Dad called me a few weeks ago and explained it to me. I called our state senators to encourage them to not support such an act.
Boy, that better not happen. :shake:

greg63
07-04-2007, 11:55 PM
This guy gives new meaning to the word postal. :shake:

Smed1065
07-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Texas is for liars, thieves and WPI material..................

And easy women. That makes me think gochiefs is gay or just sorry azz!

el borracho
07-05-2007, 12:03 AM

Yes, i'm drinking.
Picking up where Tommy Kat leaves off...

Smed1065
07-05-2007, 12:13 AM
I am waiting to get a bid for IT for the Gov......

Sweet contract for 5 years. Thanks to OKC.

KCChiefsMan
07-05-2007, 12:22 AM

Yes, i'm drinking.

thats a very good point and I'm surprised I never thought of it like that either. I've been drinking too!

huskerdooz
07-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Zuniga, who had been a Postal Service employee since 1974, resigned his job after being caught stealing the DVDs.

I'm guessing he screwed himself out of a pretty good pension.

Baby Lee
07-05-2007, 08:07 AM
If you're going to do this, why not at least cover yourself a little and just take them home and copy them? The blanks cost next to nothing, and the DVDs aren't exactly in deluxe packaging.

rageeumr
07-05-2007, 08:24 AM
I subscribed to Gamefly for a little while. In 3 months I lost 3 games in the mail. They must be pretty used to it, I just had to fill out a little online form each time and they never said anything about it.

Count Zarth
07-05-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm guessing he screwed himself out of a pretty good pension.

Nope. Union.