PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated: Blue Springs top prep program in MO. Other states listed.

|Zach|
07-05-2007, 01:04 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/highschool/06/19/top.state/index.html

Whether it is because of school size or the depth of the regional talent pool, not all state champions are created equally.

Still, after sifting through state tournament results for the 2006-'07 school year, contacting athletic directors from top programs, examining all-around success rates as well as weighing the importance of producing star athletes and teams that excelled on the national level, SI.com has assembled a list of the top high school athletic program in each of the 50 states, plus the District of Columbia.

Missouri: Blue Springs High School
Kansas: Manhattan High School
Iowa: Xavier

Smed1065
07-05-2007, 01:06 AM
LOL

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Blue Springs as a whole has been absolutely dominant in sports the last decade or so.

Smed1065
07-05-2007, 01:15 AM
In sports or the NFL?

Thought so..

|Zach|
07-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Blue Springs as a whole has been absolutely dominant in sports the last decade or so.
I read an article in the Examiner today about it and they were talking to some of the coaches and administrators and what not. There are a lot of great people at that place that did a lot to shape who I am as a person for the better. They work so hard and I thought this was a pretty cool achievement for a lot of people who have put years into teaching kids things that go far beyond the playing field. And being good at it.

|Zach|
07-05-2007, 01:16 AM
In sports or the NFL?

Thought so..
What are you asking? What does the NFL have to do with it?

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 01:19 AM
I read an article in the Examiner today about it and they were talking to some of the coaches and administrators and what not. There are a lot of great people at that place that did a lot to shape who I am as a person for the better. They work so hard and I thought this was a pretty cool achievement for a lot of people who have put years into teaching kids things that go far beyond the playing field. And being good at it.

Like Coach Beatty?!?!!?

God I swear that Trinity Prep coaching intro rally has to be on Youtube or something. Im searching for it now.

|Zach|
07-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Like Coach Beatty?!?!!?

God I swear that Trinity Prep coaching intro rally has to be on Youtube or something. Im searching for it now.
Ha. Surely John Voight followed him around doing research.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_pictures/varsity_blues/_group_photos/james_van_der_beek6.jpg

Sam Hall
07-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Several of the players from the Blue Springs HS baseball team play on an American Legion team that I've seen a couple times this summer. I've come away impressed every time. They're so much bigger and stronger than the other teams. That probably explains why their football team is so good.

|Zach|
07-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Several of the players from the Blue Springs HS baseball team play on an American Legion team that I've seen a couple times this summer. I've come away impressed every time. They're so much bigger and stronger than the other teams. That probably explains why their football team is so good.
Talking about the A's?

Baseball team has always been good. I remember when they won state my freshman year. Nationally ranked team. Although they won this most recent state title a few months ago on a miracle. As it was told to me...

It was the bottom the 9th and BS was down by one with a man on 1st 2 outs. Kid get a very routine grounder and CBC was a throw away from going to the title game but he overthrew it. A few hits later BS won it from that guy getting to base. That was in the state semi-finals.

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 01:30 AM

The A's have been badass for many years. Many of my friends played on that team and just dominated every team across the state. I quit playing baseball after my freshman season, which was stupid, I really missed it.

Sam Hall
07-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Talking about the A's?

Baseball team has always been good. I remember when they won state my freshman year. Nationally ranked team. Although they won this most recent state title a few months ago on a miracle. As it was told to me...

It was the bottom the 9th and BS was down by one with a man on 1st 2 outs. Kid get a very routine grounder and CBC was a throw away from going to the title game but he overthrew it. A few hits later BS won it from that guy getting to base. That was in the state semi-finals.

Yes, it's the A's. Every one of those players had to be over six feet tall. A couple of them hit home runs to straightaway center field at Legacy Park, which I haven't seen anybody else do. Nick Tepesch dominated Lee's Summit North when I saw him pitch in May.

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 01:35 AM

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_pictures/varsity_blues/_group_photos/james_van_der_beek6.jpg

No kidding, when I saw that movie it pretty much resembled what Beatty was all about.

I still can't believe we didn't win state with Garrison, Lloyd, Mozee, Jack, Marble, etc. There's just really no excuse for that.

Probably would have won state in 2000 as well, if only Whitworth would have thrown the damn ball away instead of throwing a beebee through a lifesaver only to get in picked off, putting Rock in the redzone. I remember that play like it happened a day ago, kinda like your holdin call in 8th grade. Lol jk about the last comment. :p

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Yes, it's the A's. Every one of those players had to be over six feet tall. A couple of them hit home runs to straightaway center field at Legacy Park, which I haven't seen anybody else do. Nick Tepesch dominated Lee's Summit North when I saw him pitch in May.

They had a pitcher on there, one of my buddies, Kris Johnson who last season got drafted 42nd overall by the BoSox. Guy is about 6'3, but weighs about 175lbs. The guy throws some serious heat and he's a lefty. He came back from Tommy John surgery and how he's managed to come back the way he did still amazes me.

Sam Hall
07-05-2007, 01:39 AM
They had a pitcher on there, one of my buddies, Kris Johnson who last season got drafted 42nd overall by the BoSox. Guy is about 6'3, but weighs about 175lbs. The guy throws some serious heat and he's a lefty. He came back from Tommy John surgery and how he's managed to come back the way he did still amazes me.

I've been told that the A's are so good because they've played together for years. What I don't understand is their size advantage over the Lee's Summit teams I cover.

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 01:47 AM
I've been told that the A's are so good because they've played together for years. What I don't understand is their size advantage over the Lee's Summit teams I cover.

The A's teams from 99-02 have played together since 3rd and 4th grade on tournament teams that travel around the nation. I have been on many of those teams back in the day. Good times back then.

The way the BS little league works is that you can freeze most of your players so you can pretty much have the same team the next season. Im sure alot of city leagues do this as well.

As far as size, I'm not really too sure. BS has always been a school with big athletic players in virtually almost every major sport. Many players on the baseball team (when I was there) also played football. Maybe that has something to do with it maybe not I dunno.

But I remember my senior yr in every major sport:

Basketball - ranked 2nd in state (only to Vashon with Jimmy McKinney etc), lost in state qt finals by 4pts because our best player, one ofmy best friends had a bad case of the flu, played anyways and scored only 6pts opposing to the 23pt avg he had.
Football - 14-0 state champs, ranked 17th in nation
Baseball - 33-4 (man, we choked in districts, allowed only 2 runs and only had 3 hits all game against a shitty pitcher) but before districts were ranked 13th in the nation

58-4ever
07-05-2007, 01:51 AM
Owasso, Oklahoma? Yeah, right.

|Zach|
07-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Owasso, Oklahoma? Yeah, right.
I was pretty surprised...Jenks? Union?

ChiefJustice
07-05-2007, 04:18 AM
Like Coach Beatty?!?!!?

That guy isn't still coaching is he?

He was my P.E. teacher back in like 88 or 89.He may have even
been the wrestling coach at that time as well.

Blue Springs Football was a big thing when i was there('87-'91),apparently
it has become even bigger now.

I want to give a shout out to my home-boys kicking it AA highway style!!

Screw you Rockhurst!!

LOCOChief
07-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Screw you Rockhurst!!

Wasn't Chuck Sears the BS wrestling coach through the 80's, not sure as I can't remember sh!t

Either way BS had some great wrestling teams as well, being from LS in the 80's BS vs LS was a battle of all battles, and in all fairness BS had the upper hand and I think at least one state championship.

Mi_chief_fan
07-05-2007, 09:20 AM
A couple of schools cought my eye. First, Muskegon, Michigan was in the 70s and 80s a great powerhouse, but hasn't won a championship in years. A better choice IMO would have been Redford Catholic Central or East Kentwood, they've both won multiple championships in the past 20 years.

Also, maybe the California guys can give some perspective, but Archbishop Mitty in San Jose? For years, Mater Dei in Santa Ana was ranked #1 nationally, they won something like 100 straight and 5 or 6 straight state titles, not to mention putting players like Matt Leinart in the NFL.

Braincase
07-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Manhattan? They got their 6A butts kicked so many times by 5A Salina Central and 5A Salina South in football, they broke up the I-70 League.

Simply Red
07-05-2007, 09:34 AM
CP BS Grads:

|Zach|
Simply Red
ChiefsFanatic

Simply Red
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Blue Springs Football was a big thing when i was there('87-'91),apparentlyit has become even bigger now.

Screw you Rockhurst!!

Until Jeff Cty. came to town. :)

bobbything
07-05-2007, 09:52 AM
I still can't believe we didn't win state with Garrison, Lloyd, Mozee, Jack, Marble, etc. There's just really no excuse for that.

Probably would have won state in 2000 as well, if only Whitworth would have thrown the damn ball away instead of throwing a beebee through a lifesaver only to get in picked off, putting Rock in the redzone. I remember that play like it happened a day ago, kinda like your holdin call in 8th grade. Lol jk about the last comment. :p
You know, back in 82, I could throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

And, Owasso for Oklahoma? Jenks is the dominant school in that state, hands down.

Inspector
07-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Nick (Blue Springs starting QB last year) got a scholarship at MU (Columbia).

Paid off nice for him.

Sure-Oz
07-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Too bad BSHS and BSSHS weren't combined, that'd be a power house team always

JohninGpt
07-05-2007, 11:04 AM

And, Owasso for Oklahoma? Jenks is the dominant school in that state, hands down.
Surprised me too. I haven't lived there for quite some time, but I remember Jenks beating everyone regularly, including McClain and Muskogee. I really don't remember Owasso being a factor, of course they may have been in a different division.

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 11:40 AM

Screw you Rockhurst!!

After we had a super ass team in 98 which had multple D1 signees, but then choked in Districts, Beatty got a job at Trinity Prep HS in Kentucky, or Tennessee I can't remember. He still coaches there.

Back when you went to school I believe is when they split the school up to make BS South. It was such a huge issue and they almost didn't break up the schools simply because we had so much talent on the football team the athletic directors etc went to city officials and school board officials to complain about how it would screw up their chances to winning not one, but multiple state championships.

HS football has been huge in BS for a long time.

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Until Jeff Cty. came to town. :)

If BS didnt split the school up into 2, Jeff City wouldnt have standed a chance. Jeff City was good though in mid 90's.

bobbything
07-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Surprised me too. I haven't lived there for quite some time, but I remember Jenks beating everyone regularly, including McClain and Muskogee. I really don't remember Owasso being a factor, of course they may have been in a different division.
My roommate went to Jenks. From what he's told me Jenks seems to dominate in everything. However, his parents live in Owasso and he said it's the fastest growing town in Oklahoma.

So, maybe the tides are turning. But, these rankings don't add up anyway. I'm betting Jenks is still the school to beat.

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 11:43 AM
CP BS Grads:

|Zach|
Simply Red
ChiefsFanatic
CoMoChief

Fixed your post. :p

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 11:50 AM
BS Football

Conf Champs:

District Champs:

State Champs:

LiL stumppy
07-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Hmm, I would figure Webb City for MO. The have been dominate at football sense I can remember. The past few years their baseball team has been ranked #1 or in the top 3. I am not sure about basketball, I do know that they almost made it to state in basketball this year, until we beat them :)

kcfanXIII
07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
No kidding, when I saw that movie it pretty much resembled what Beatty was all about.

my class went 7-3 my senior year. those guys had heard their entire life how good they were, and expected to roll their helmets out there for the win. i love the fact betts is geting love, and if lloyd could get on the field, i'm sure he'd impress. even if he is an asshole. beatty was a prick, but his daughter was hot.

congrats to blue springs, notice there's no direction in the name. crone has done a great job as AD, as i think all their sports programs ar edoing well.

GO WILDCATS!!!!!

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Hmm, I would figure Webb City for MO. The have been dominate at football sense I can remember. The past few years their baseball team has been ranked #1 or in the top 3. I am not sure about basketball, I do know that they almost made it to state in basketball this year, until we beat them :)

I wish they could make a tourney for all teams in MO regardless of which class (1-6A) they are in because I've heard countless of times of how Webb City and Kearney would give BS a run for their money. Usually I just think those people are crazy. But I do know a lot of those smaller more rural schools have some big ol farm boys as far as size. The only problem they don't have the resources or money flowing into their program like BS does, and the fact that many of BS players have been playing football together since the flag football days, so it developes a chemistry beyond pretty much anything, anyone can possibly think.

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 11:58 AM
my class went 7-3 my senior year. those guys had heard their entire life how good they were, and expected to roll their helmets out there for the win. i love the fact betts is geting love, and if lloyd could get on the field, i'm sure he'd impress. even if he is an asshole. beatty was a prick, but his daughter was hot.

congrats to blue springs, notice there's no direction in the name. crone has done a great job as AD, as i think all their sports programs ar edoing well.

GO WILDCATS!!!!!

His daughter did have a nice ol booty on her. Jenny I think her name was.

kcfanXIII
07-05-2007, 11:59 AM
CP BS Grads:

|Zach|
Simply Red
ChiefsFanatic

i'm on that list too. class of '99.

kcfanXIII
07-05-2007, 12:02 PM
His daughter did have a nice ol booty on her. Jenny I think her name was.

ya, jenny. i would have ****ed the shit out of her, just to piss that one eyed bastard off. i still get pissed when i think about him starting H2O joe kender over joe cromely.

Darien25
07-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Owasso probably got the nod here because of their baseball program. Not only is it the best in state but consistently ranks in the top 10 programs in the U.S. (USA Today rankings). Probably didn't hurt either that they made the state semis in football in class 6A in the toughest divsion in the state. There is a lot of money pouring into Owasso with all of the growth and they are expanding and improving current facilities.

LiL stumppy
07-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I wish they could make a tourney for all teams in MO regardless of which class (1-6A) they are in because I've heard countless of times of how Webb City and Kearney would give BS a run for their money. Usually I just think those people are crazy. But I do know a lot of those smaller more rural schools have some big ol farm boys as far as size. The only problem they don't have the resources or money flowing into their program like BS does, and the fact that many of BS players have been playing football together since the flag football days, so it developes a chemistry beyond pretty much anything, anyone can possibly think.

Yea, Webb City isn't as much as a rural school though. They get MANY transfers from surrounding areas, like Ozark and Nixa. But, they have a little league system like BS I have heard, everyone has been playing every sport together since they could remember. On their football team, It's really even fast, its speed. I am sure their kicker is faster than most other HS teams running backs lol.

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 12:32 PM
ya, jenny. i would have ****ed the shit out of her, just to piss that one eyed bastard off. i still get pissed when i think about him starting H2O joe kender over joe cromely.

yeah Kinder sucked.

Simply Red
07-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Crap a lot more BS grads than I thought post on here I graduated in 91 FWIW..

JohninGpt
07-05-2007, 01:23 PM
My roommate went to Jenks. From what he's told me Jenks seems to dominate in everything. However, his parents live in Owasso and he said it's the fastest growing town in Oklahoma.

So, maybe the tides are turning. But, these rankings don't add up anyway. I'm betting Jenks is still the school to beat.
I graduated from Broken Arrow in '86, our football team always sucked pretty much, but I didn't care, I was to busy with :BLVD: and :bong:. BA was the fastest growing town at the time. I'm planning on settling back there in April '08 when I retire from the Navy.

POND_OF_RED
07-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Nick (Blue Springs starting QB last year) got a scholarship at MU (Columbia).

Paid off nice for him.
Nick Caldrone is actually going to CMSU next year last I heard. I'm not sure if hes playing football or not. Nick Tepesch the ace pitcher is going to MU.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2007, 02:34 PM

Screw you Rockhurst!!

Not bad. 19 Posts it took for a jest against Rockhurst.

|Zach|
07-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Too bad BSHS and BSSHS weren't combined, that'd be a power house team always
I was at South to work on my action photography at a basketball game. Me and my room mate started talking about if the two schools were combined what sports they wouldn't win state titles in. There were not many. In football you would have all state players sitting on the bench. There would literally be zero competition. Basketball they would be a contender but not automatic...soccer they would be a contender...everything else they would have locked up. Except for tennis. Heh.

|Zach|
07-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Not bad. 19 Posts it took for a jest against Rockhurst.
I had to hold back.

Simply Red
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I was at South to work on my action photography at a basketball game. Me and my room mate started talking about if the two schools were combined what sports they wouldn't win state titles in. There were not many. In football you would have all state players sitting on the bench. There would literally be zero competition. Basketball they would be a contender but not automatic...soccer they would be a contender...everything else they would have locked up. Except for tennis. Heh.

Too funny, sadly the only sport I played in HS. :)

|Zach|
07-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Too funny, sadly the only sport I played in HS. :)
It is tough to beat those white collar schools.

Simply Red
07-05-2007, 04:03 PM
It is tough to beat those white collar schools.
We'd kill most we played.
Park Hill
Oak park
were the toughest though.

most HS's local to Atlanta would have killed the KS schools. Georgia has more Tennis than any state in the country.

Thig Lyfe
07-05-2007, 04:07 PM

I think you mean Jon Voight.

John Voight once owned this man's car:

http://theambler.com/images/costanza.jpg

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I think you mean Jon Voight.

John Voight once owned this man's car:

http://theambler.com/images/costanza.jpg
Man, talk about a thread killer.