PDA

View Full Version : FIREWORKS....accidents

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 09:21 AM
So did anyone have any mishaps over the last week?

seclark
07-05-2007, 09:24 AM
my brother-in-law got so drunk he pissed himself while passed out in a lawn chair.
sec

Count Alex's Losses
07-05-2007, 09:26 AM
I saw some guy at the hospital with half his forearm blown off.

Lzen
07-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I keep wondering every year when something tragic is gonna happen. I'm just thinking that with all the people that have access to big things like artillery shells "what happens when some dumb ass drunk fool lights one and knocks it over on it's side?"

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 09:41 AM
I'll never light another parachute barrage again...EVER

July 3rd...parents house..they sell fireworks every year, been selling them since the mid 70's. All the family is around watching the display. The nephews had been wanting to light the 110 shot parachute barrage for the last few days, but couldnt because of the weather....So that was the first one to be lit.

It was on a flat surface

I wasnt drunk nor drinking any alcohol that night

The first shot caused the cannon to tip on its side. I didnt realize what happened at first because I was watching the paracutes float around. All I remember is this incredible pain because the second shot hit me and I took cover behind the car. I yelled to to everyone else to take cover as well. Mad chaos ensued. The third shot hit the barn and left a dent in the side. The fourth shot hit the back side of my parents house, destroying at least a panel of siding.

Two days later, my leg is sore as hell and I have a bruise on my quadriceps.

So yeah...when said shot shoots in the air...20-30 parachutes are also shot out...

El Jefe
07-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Man that sucks but its a pretty funny story.

morphius
07-05-2007, 09:52 AM
I'll never light another parachute barrage again...EVER

July 3rd...parents house..they sell fireworks every year, been selling them since the mid 70's. All the family is around watching the display. The nephews had been wanting to light the 110 shot parachute barrage for the last few days, but couldnt because of the weather....So that was the first one to be lit.

It was on a flat surface

I wasnt drunk nor drinking any alcohol that night

The first shot caused the cannon to tip on its side. I didnt realize what happened at first because I was watching the paracutes float around. All I remember is this incredible pain because the second shot hit me and I took cover behind the car. I yelled to to everyone else to take cover as well. Mad chaos ensued. The third shot hit the barn and left a dent in the side. The fourth shot hit the back side of my parents house, destroying at least a panel of siding.

Two days later, my leg is sore as hell and I have a bruise on my quadriceps.

So yeah...when said shot shoots in the air...20-30 parachutes are also shot out...
Must have been made in Japan, damn kamikaze's..

Simply Red
07-05-2007, 09:53 AM
None, All I had was lame ass Ground Flowers. If I get injured by one of those, I'd have deserved it.

cmh6476
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/firework-explodes-in-mothers-face/20070703230309990001

:(

crazycoffey
I burnt my thumb.....

Groves
07-05-2007, 09:54 AM
My relative is a pediatric eye surgeon, and he says that in a city the size of STL he's learned to pretty much expect a dozen eye related injuries on the 4th, with a few of them losing their eye entirely.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-05-2007, 09:55 AM
I was trying to prove that my package was invicible but failed in doing so. I blew up my junk.

ChiTown
07-05-2007, 09:57 AM
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/firework-explodes-in-mothers-face/20070703230309990001

Darwin takes another..........

Simply Red
07-05-2007, 09:58 AM

Wow, How tragic.

LOCOChief
07-05-2007, 09:59 AM
a faulty "hen laying egg" took out my wife's side of the family, but I'm OK

eazyb81
07-05-2007, 10:11 AM
I've learned to stay away from fireworks for the most part, i'm really in no hurry to lose a finger or an eye. I'll watch the pros do their thing.

Fish
07-05-2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0908/5.jpg

Burninating the countryside........

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Who the hell lights a mortar shell...then looks down the tube to see if its lit?

ChiTown
07-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Who the hell lights a mortar shell...then looks down the tube to see if its lit?

Who?

One of Darwin's finest "creations".........

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 10:24 AM
None, All I had was lame ass Ground Flowers. If I get injured by one of those, I'd have deserved it.

Those are not lame...you are just not lighting them on the correct surface.

Ground Bloom Flowers...jumping jacks....and bottle rockets...are all so much better when you light and toss them in the pond/creek/river

especially at night...its badass seeing a ground bloom flower take off under the water and dive straight down a few feet.

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Dont get me started on sparklers...

ct
07-05-2007, 10:49 AM
My relative is a pediatric eye surgeon, and he says that in a city the size of STL he's learned to pretty much expect a dozen eye related injuries on the 4th, with a few of them losing their eye entirely.

Took my 6 year old son to the ER last night for precautionary reasons. Too many people in too tight a space, somebody turned around and stabbed him in the eye with a punk. Thank God he's ok, minor burn on his lower eyeball and the lower eyelid, but he'll be fine. Doc told us there was another more serious eye injury in another room (note this was just a small ER only type facility, kind of an outreach for the big hospital on the other side of town), plus a 14 year old over the weekend lost his eye (firework didn't go off, he walked up and looked inside, tragedy ensues).

We're saying many prayers of thanks today!!

StcChief
07-05-2007, 10:51 AM
10 yo girl Hand burn last nite at local party.

what really worried me kids running around without shoes earlier. Told parents they needed shoe on.

ChiTown
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Took my 6 year old son to the ER last night for precautionary reasons. Too many people in too tight a space, somebody turned around and stabbed him in the eye with a punk. Thank God he's ok, minor burn on his lower eyeball and the lower eyelid, but he'll be fine. Doc told us there was another more serious eye injury in another room (note this was just a small ER only type facility, kind of an outreach for the big hospital on the other side of town), plus a 14 year old over the weekend lost his eye (firework didn't go off, he walked up and looked inside, tragedy ensues).

We're saying many prayers of thanks today!!

Glad to hear your son is ok.

Lzen
07-05-2007, 10:57 AM

That is fugged up.

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm counting my fingers as I read this thread, and I didn't even set off any fireworks last night.

I was trying to prove that my package was invicible but failed in doing so. I blew up my junk.

Lzen
http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0908/5.jpg

Burninating the countryside........

You know, those things have always been pretty harmless. We got some of those this year that are red, white, and blue. I was standing about 5-10 feet away. It started moving and sparking like they always do. Then it shot it's canon and I actually had to move to the side to avoid taking the shot to my chest. I had never seen one go that high or that far.

JBucc
I got attacked by a little spinny thing. I thought it just sat on the ground and spun but it actually shoots up into the air. It shot up over my head and went out and the burned up cardboard part hit me in the shoulder. Luckily I did not burst into flames nor explode.

ChiefButthurt
07-05-2007, 11:15 AM
In my younger days, we did some real stupid stuff on the 4th.

We used to get carbide and put a couple of grains in a paint can and add water. Put the lid on lightly and while holding the can on the ground with your foot, light a hole drilled into the side on the can. The gas ignites and the explosion sounds like a cannon. Really good homemade fireworks. Oh and I'm not a hillbilly.

kcfanXIII
07-05-2007, 11:27 AM
no tragic injuries to report. however, there were a couple of black cats that went off close to me, but no injuries. i thought there would be though. one of the guys lighting fireworks said to hell with a punk, and was lighting multiple saturn missle batteries, artillery shells, and fountains with a blow torch. even when the stuff was going off he was no more than 5 feet away from the table. and when i lit my 16,000 count roll of firecrackers, he helped keep it going by lighting every 10 feet or so on fire with the torch. i swear i thought this guy was gonna end up in the ER.

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Same here...bottle rocket fights...roman candle fights....

I look back now and at the time it was pretty fun...stupid..but still...damn fun.

Like everything else...its always fun until you get hurt or lose a limb.

Nowadays everything from back in the day people view as being dangerous...lawn darts....fireworks...punishing your own kids...etc

All the times I misbehaved in the department stores was met with a swift hand or the threat of being spanked with the belt when we got home.

Now..kids are put in timeout...and any spanking is considered "abusement" to the child..

DaFace
07-05-2007, 11:31 AM

Damn...this is why I've never even considered selling the commercial grade stuff to those without a license. Whoever sold them the fireworks is in deep doo doo.

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Damn...this is why I've never even considered selling the commercial grade stuff to those without a license. Whoever sold them the fireworks is in deep doo doo.

I wouldnt think the seller would have anything to worry about. They arent responsible for the fireworks or whatever stupid people do with said fireworks when they leave the premises.

That would be like going after the car dealership if the driver ran a red light and was hit.

That would be like the Chiefs fans getting pissed at Carl Peterson after no Super Bowl wins in a 20 year span.

That would be like going after God with a lawsuit for creating gunpowder

Fish
07-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I wouldnt think the seller would have anything to worry about. They arent responsible for the fireworks or whatever stupid people do with said fireworks when they leave the premises.

That would be like going after the car dealership if the driver ran a red light and was hit.

That would be like the Chiefs fans getting pissed at Carl Peterson after no Super Bowl wins in a 20 year span.

That would be like going after God with a lawsuit for creating gunpowder

But the key here is "commercial grade stuff"..... You can't sell that to anybody who doesn't have a commercial fireworks license, and from the way the accident went down, it doesn't seem that the woman had that license. If that's true, then the seller certainly would be in trouble.

88TG88
07-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm counting my fingers as I read this thread, and I didn't even set off any fireworks last night.
ROFL ROFL at the pic

Valiant
07-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I keep wondering every year when something tragic is gonna happen. I'm just thinking that with all the people that have access to big things like artillery shells "what happens when some dumb ass drunk fool lights one and knocks it over on it's side?"

Arty shells are not that dangerous its those damn rockets... Our dumb ass drunk selves used those, moon missiles and normal bottle rockets for a bottle rocket fight when we were in high school... Looking back it was really dumb, but they didn't really hurt either...

Dicky McElephant
07-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Same here...bottle rocket fights...roman candle fights....

I look back now and at the time it was pretty fun...stupid..but still...damn fun.

Like everything else...its always fun until you get hurt or lose a limb.

Nowadays everything from back in the day people view as being dangerous...lawn darts....fireworks...punishing your own kids...etc

All the times I misbehaved in the department stores was met with a swift hand or the threat of being spanked with the belt when we got home.

Now..kids are put in timeout...and any spanking is considered "abusement" to the child..

Ahhh I miss the days of the bottle rocket/roman candle fights. Those were the days...

Eric
07-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I saw some guy at the hospital with half his forearm blown off.

say your kidding

:shake:

Dartgod
07-05-2007, 12:26 PM
We used to have bottle rocket fights as well. Stupid stuff looking back, but it was fun at the time. I saw one guy take a roman candle ball to the forehead, but he was kind of stupid to begin with so I'm not sure if he had any lingering effects.

plbrdude
07-05-2007, 12:35 PM
But the key here is "commercial grade stuff"..... You can't sell that to anybody who doesn't have a commercial fireworks license, and from the way the accident went down, it doesn't seem that the woman had that license. If that's true, then the seller certainly would be in trouble.

not only no license, but no gray matter either. and i guess she wanted to prove it too.

i can't imagine the conversation

it went out
no it didn't
should've went off by now
it will
no it won't
let me check
not a good idea
let's have a look
kick it
i can't really see down the BOOM

BigMeatballDave
07-05-2007, 12:40 PM
We used to have bottle rocket fights as well. Stupid stuff looking back, but it was fun at the time. I saw one guy take a roman candle ball to the forehead, but he was kind of stupid to begin with so I'm not sure if he had any lingering effects.I remember the last time I had a bottlerocket fight. I got hit on the eyebrow. Scared the shit outta me.

KC Kings
07-05-2007, 12:41 PM
We got a 12 pack of different types of roman candles. I shot off a couple, and my 7 year old asked me if he could do one. Roman candles are pretty tame, so I told him to wait a few minutes until his younger sister got distracted and I would let him shoot one.

In the mean time I fired one off, and it was the kind that has a built in firecracker that pops at the end of each ball. It said it had 10 rounds but only 6 went off, then it exploded in my hand. It kind of felt like a scene in a war movie because it hurt like hell, my ears were rining so I couldn't hear anything but I could see everybody yelling through the smoke.

My hand is swollen and bruised, there is still some numbness, and it broke the skin in two small places, but other than that everything it ok. I am glad that it happened to me, and I didn't let me son fire it off. Hopefully I provided a good example to the boy of what happens when you play with fireworks.

DaFace
07-05-2007, 12:42 PM

Yep - that's the key. If someone with a license sells to someone without - they are liable for whatever happens.

LabRat38
07-05-2007, 12:47 PM
We got a 12 pack of different types of roman candles. I shot off a couple, and my 7 year old asked me if he could do one. Roman candles are pretty tame, so I told him to wait a few minutes until his younger sister got distracted and I would let him shoot one.

In the mean time I fired one off, and it was the kind that has a built in firecracker that pops at the end of each ball. It said it had 10 rounds but only 6 went off, then it exploded in my hand. It kind of felt like a scene in a war movie because it hurt like hell, my ears were rining so I couldn't hear anything but I could see everybody yelling through the smoke.

My hand is swollen and bruised, there is still some numbness, and it broke the skin in two small places, but other than that everything it ok. I am glad that it happened to me, and I didn't let me son fire it off. Hopefully I provided a good example to the boy of what happens when you play with fireworks.

That will teach you to buy those cheap fireworks Matt. I'm glad you hand is OK. Hopefully it not you pleasure hand or you may go insane before it's better.

Jayhawkerman2001
07-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Those types of people are so insanely annoying to me. Ive used fireworks from the day i was born prety much and just look down upon those types of fuggin idiots...

KC Kings
07-05-2007, 12:59 PM
That will teach you to buy those cheap fireworks Matt. I'm glad you hand is OK. Hopefully it not you pleasure hand or you may go insane before it's better.

Actually it was that hand, but my brother explained to me the "stranger" tecnique so the numbness my be a blessing in disguise.

Bob Dole
07-05-2007, 01:04 PM
In my younger days, we did some real stupid stuff on the 4th.

We used to get carbide and put a couple of grains in a paint can and add water. Put the lid on lightly and while holding the can on the ground with your foot, light a hole drilled into the side on the can. The gas ignites and the explosion sounds like a cannon. Really good homemade fireworks. Oh and I'm not a hillbilly.

Why not build a pipe cannon and get the same audible report, and as a bonus, launch crap at your friends?

LabRat38
07-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Actually it was that hand, but my brother explained to me the "stranger" tecnique so the numbness my be a blessing in disguise.

Man I always new your brother wasn't exactly right, but man this puts him in a whole new light (or darkness as it may be).

FAX
07-05-2007, 01:09 PM
ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Exy5OvDOYM

FAX

DenverChief
07-05-2007, 01:22 PM
not only no license, but no gray matter either. and i guess she wanted to prove it too.

it went out
no it didn't
it will
no it won't
let me check
not a good idea
let's have a look
kick it

Reminds me of the same type of person who looks down the barrel of a gun after a misfire :shake:

DenverChief
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
I burnt my thumb.....

ya but doing it while rubbing one out doesn't count

Baby Lee
07-05-2007, 04:58 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/31/2007/07/smallish_grossname.jpg
D@mn thing pissed all over me.

CoMoChief
07-05-2007, 05:16 PM
My friends and I somewhat of an accident, but wasn't our fault.

Some MU football players decided it would be funny to shoot a roman candle into our garage (they lived across the street) while we were playing beer pong. First time we just thought it was an accident but then they did it 2 more times. On the 3rd time one of my buddies yelled back at them to quit it, and one of them came over and got in his face and then pushed him thinkin he was the bigger stronger person because he was a football player, wrong move by that guy, my buddy clocked him right in the chin and the guy just dropped to the floor. Then his group o thugs game running over and tried to get in the middle of it. His friends just ended up taking him away because we outnumbered them 10-4 and they were yelling etc. Then they just kinda went inside. I'm sure they tried to brake into our cars later on that night because people like that (you know what i'm talking about too) are ****ing ignorant and can't control themselves, which is why many of them end up getting arrested and end up in jail.

Other than that no accidents. It just makes me wonder if they were just looking for a fight, if they were drunk or on drugs, but why would someone shoot roman candles at someone in their garage and then get pissed and want to start a fight after we get pissed after they have done it multiple times? The guy that came over to start a fight was a football player though I dont think he lived there. And no I don't know what player it was, but I do know or at least have a pretty good idea that he was a football player at MU. Anyways that guy deserved what he got.

Skip Towne
07-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I got attacked by a little spinny thing. I thought it just sat on the ground and spun but it actually shoots up into the air. It shot up over my head and went out and the burned up cardboard part hit me in the shoulder. Luckily I did not burst into flames nor explode.
But did you burst into tears?

Thig Lyfe
07-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I died.

No biggie.

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm sure they tried to brake into our cars later on that night because people like that (you know what i'm talking about too)GET OFF MY DAMN PORCH YOU... YOU NO-GOODERS!

mikeyis4dcats.
07-05-2007, 05:29 PM

it went out
no it didn't
it will
no it won't
let me check
not a good idea
let's have a look
kick it

I frequent another forum, and one of the doctors at the hospital she was taken to said that it wasn't a case of her looking into something she had lit, but that someone else had lit it and she wasn't aware. The type she was using apparently had a lot of individual tubes in an array.

Her son and fiance also had to watch as a large portion of her skull and brain were literally blown off, so it's not particularly funny even if it was related to her own stupidity.

Count Alex's Losses
07-05-2007, 07:31 PM
say your kidding

:shake:

Nope. Right arm was a stump. Left hand was bandaged too.

Bwana
07-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I had some huge bottle rockets I picked up down on the rez. No major issues there, but some neighbors had some kind of those huge exploding fire balls that go up in the air that got knocked over. It shot the huge monster fire balls directly back at them. (Around 8 shots) Caught one guys pants on fire. No one was serioulsy hurt and it was a sight seeing 20 people running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to dodge the "balls of death."

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Boom goes the dynamite.

Eric
07-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Nope. Right arm was a stump. Left hand was bandaged too.

What caused it? pipe bomb? God, i can't think a mortar could do that.

KC Kings
07-06-2007, 09:41 AM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/31/2007/07/smallish_grossname.jpg
D@mn thing pissed all over me.
ROFL

Lzen
07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I had some huge bottle rockets I picked up down on the rez. No major issues there, but some neighbors had some kind of those huge exploding fire balls that go up in the air that got knocked over. It shot the huge monster fire balls directly back at them. (Around 8 shots) Caught one guys pants on fire. No one was serioulsy hurt and it was a sight seeing 20 people running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to dodge the "balls of death."

Oh man, that sounds like it would have been pretty damn funny watching some dude running around with his pants on fire. ROFL

MOhillbilly
07-06-2007, 11:03 AM
put a m-80 in a pipe w/ a coffee can on top. landed on my bros car.
haha. unlucky bastard.

ChiefButthurt
07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Why not build a pipe cannon and get the same audible report, and as a bonus, launch crap at your friends?

ROFL I think we did with a paint can. The lid would fly about 50 feet and your leg would shake for 10 minutes.

Lzen
07-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Arty shells are not that dangerous its those damn rockets...

Mission man dies in fireworks accident
The Associated Press
Published Friday, July 6, 2007

Investigators said a 25-year-old Mission man died after leaning over a 4-inch mortar when it exploded.
Print Reply E-mail

Brock Barrett was trying to light the mortar when it went off at a family gathering in rural Miami County on Tuesday night, deputies said.

Emergency crews flew Barrett to a Kansas City area hospital, where he died Wednesday morning.

The case is under investigation.