PDA

View Full Version : Hells Bend Kansas...

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Anyone ever been to Hells Bend?

John_Wayne
07-05-2007, 11:46 AM
He Hung To His Rope

Out near Hells Bend, Kans., is a tombstone on which is inscribed
the following obituary:

Here lies William Larryett,
Afraid of no man whom he met,
From his birth he hated soap,
Lov'd but one thing__ it was rope.
When a boy he'd rope wild steers,
And wild horses without fears;
And one night when others slept,
Roped a horse another kept,
Then this man who hated soap
Died, but still hung to his rope.

John_Wayne
07-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Klan in Cowley County, Kansas 1877 to 1922

[SHOOTING AT CEDAR VALE: PETERSON SHOOTS BYBEE.]

TRAVELER, MAY 30, 1877.

On Thursday evening of last week occurred a terrible shooting affray at this place.It was but another scene in the Peterson and Bybee tragedy. For some time there has been a series of quarrels and troubles between parties known as Hell's Benders. At the March term of court, Bybee was acquitted of committing an assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill Peterson. Since then both parties have gone armed and prepared for each other. Peterson has received several letters saying he must leave the county or he would be killed; but having a family to support, he thought best to remain and act on the defense.During the day Bybee had threatened to kill Peterson, saying he was a Ku Klux from Hell's Bend and would carry it out.About 7 o'clock p.m., both parties met in front of the law office of Albright & Hill, when words passed about shooting it out, etc. Bybee drew a revolver and fired, grazing the side of Peterson. Almost simultaneously Peterson fired, using a needle gun, the ball striking the upper lip, knocking out several teeth, striking the tongue, and passing out at the right jaw of Bybee. Peterson immediately went to his house, where he remained until he was arrested a few minutes later by Deputy Sheriff, J. A.Johnson.

We advise our readers to withhold their verdict till they hear the testimony. Cedar Vale Blade.

John_Wayne
07-05-2007, 11:52 AM
http://www.erbzine.com/mag7/bhb1stn4.jpg (http://www.erbzine.com/mag4/west.html)

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Ah bullshit

Hells Bend is an un-incorporated town north of where I grew up. I only asked because since Osawatomie had flooded, this little town has gained some attention because the river washed out several railroad tracks. So for the last week, diesals full of rocks have been carrying back and forth to La Cygne, dumping the rocks, and then dirving back out to the quarry for another load. They have literally been non-stop, 24 hours a day, at least one truck every two-three minutes. There are two trains down south, that cannot go forward or backward because of the water flooding the tracks, or have completely washed away the tracks.

Redrum_69
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
In fact, its not even a town. Its a few shacks and houses, right near a trestle bridge that goes over the Marais des Cygnes river. I think the population is like 9.

ROYC75
07-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Ah bullshit

Hells Bend is an un-incorporated town north of where I grew up. I only asked because since Osawatomie had flooded, this little town has gained some attention because the river washed out several railroad tracks. So for the last week, diesals full of rocks have been carrying back and forth to La Cygne, dumping the rocks, and then dirving back out to the quarry for another load. They have literally been non-stop, 24 hours a day, at least one truck every two-three minutes. There are two trains down south, that cannot go forward or backward because of the water flooding the tracks, or have completely washed away the tracks.

Yep, been there...... So the UP is down ? The river has 'em trapped in.

Whick rock quarry they coming from ?