PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Predictions

ExtremeChief
04-24-2001, 10:00 AM
With the additions we've made on offense, and the change in coaching staff, how do you think the Chiefs will fare in 2001???

I like what we've done so far, I would like to see a LB or CB picked up through FA. I think the change in coaching alone should have the Chiefs fielding a better team this fall.

Early predictions???

with guarded optimism...

ChiTown
04-24-2001, 11:04 AM
I think the wins and losses will be somewhere between the 7's and 9's. We have a hell of a tough schedule this year, many ?'s on defense (poor depth @ LB, inexperience at CB, and concerns at DT). We have a new QB, new HB, and will have a new center on offense. We have a whole new coaching staff.

This is a tremendous amount of change for any team, and to expect more than a .500 record in year one is a lot to ask for. I'll be hapy to see progress with our players, competitiveness and direction on the field, and seven wins. Next year, however, I would expect to see this team in the playoffs.

ChiTown
~realistically evaluating the future

Gaz
04-24-2001, 12:16 PM
There still too many questions to answer:

Is Crockett the starting CB?
Will Greenís knee be okay?
When will the Offense gel?
When will the Defense gel?
Who will be released on June 1st?
Who will be sign after June 1st?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not ready yet.

bishop_74
04-24-2001, 04:00 PM
With the level of talent that we added, in addition to the talent we all ready had... include a MUCH more competent coaching staff, and I can't help but feel optimistic about next season. My only concern is our defense. Again, though, we have added talent, and have a more aggressive oriented defense. Hopefully, that was our problem last year.

kcred
04-24-2001, 06:44 PM
It is far too early to have to make prediction, right now, I am in the 7-9 to 9-7 category, but that could raise or lower at the end of training camp. I think Gunther and crew took a 10-7 team and achieved a 7-9 record. However, changes within the division makes me think all teams have improved, so anything .500 or better, will make it a good season, providing we are making progress.

Phobia
04-24-2001, 06:44 PM
I would have voted for 13-3 if that was an option.

Heck, somebody has to take Proctor's spot on the homer wagon!

Archie F. Swin
04-24-2001, 07:07 PM
8-8

with Green starting

keg in kc
04-24-2001, 07:43 PM
8-8 is my pick, although that will change as the summer progresses.

It all centers around how well the team gels and learns the new system. We have virtually the same personnel as last year, with some losses but some improvements, and in 2000, IMHO, we were at least an 11-5 team that was coached down to 7-9 - we should not have lost the Titan game, the first Raider game, the Chargers game or the Falcon game, and that doesn't even touch on the other games in the 5 game losing streak...

It could be better than we think.

old_geezer
04-24-2001, 08:20 PM
9-7 was my pick. We improved dramatically with the subtraction of the three stooges and addition of Vermeil and his staff.
Green - Grbac could be a push if Green's knee holds up. Remember, Elvis had a good year last year even if we don't like the way he left.
Our special teams have nowhere to go but up and our defense will be about the same barring any late FA signings.
We won't win the division IMO (the Donks are my pick) but we will be exciting. I'm ready for the season to start.
:D

Gaz
04-25-2001, 08:47 AM
I think Gunther and crew took a 10-7 team and achieved a 7-9 record.

IMHO, we were at least an 11-5 team that was coached down to 7-9

Let me applaud both of you for very concise and clear summations of my feelings about last year. That also explains my optimism for this season.

That optimism is tempered by the knowledge that there will be a learning curve for brand new schemes on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. But the removal of the Stooges is cause for celebration. As long as I see steady improvement, I will accept losses as part of the learning process. That was not the case the last couple of years.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still breaking out in the happy dance when he breaths Stooge-free air.

Mile High Mania
04-25-2001, 09:03 AM
I picked 9-7.... simply because I don't think KC will see an immediate leap from 7-9 to a 10+ win season. The division is brutal and the rest of KC's schedule isn't all that weak.

It will take a little while (maybe half the season) for the team to grasp the new philosophy, IMO. Plus, immediately I don't see Green doing better than Grbac did last season. Grbac had an incredible season last year and they were still a 7 win team.

Holmes is a good pickup, but he did get a majority of his great numbers against crappy teams. So, he's still a question mark and we don't know how he will react to being a 'starter'.

I also think the defense still has some concerns, but it will be improved. Oak and Denver have improved, and KC still has a short way to go before they're on that level.

KC is definitely going in the right direction, but I would be a li'l surprised to see them win the division. I *think* it would be possible for two wildcards to come out of the division, but it would be tough.

The AFC West teams will beat the hell out of each other more than in recent years, so that could hurt the multiple wildcard chances.

Should be a good year though.

gh4chiefs
04-25-2001, 09:04 AM
I ended up picking 8-8 and then realizing I had no rational reason for doing so. In all honesty, I can't get a feel for this team, becasue everything is so new I guess.

Here's my take on the 2001 season. (I've been off the board a few days, please forgive me if this is a repeat). Based on our draft and our FA moves thus far, it looks like this season is shaping up to be a shakedown cruise for the offense. Finding out who/what works and who/what doesn't. As such I don't expect big things from the offense, I think it will probably be inconsistent throughout the season.

The defense is even more of a question mark in my mind. IMHO it looks as if we are focussing on the offense this year and not making major changes to the defense (other than gettting rid of Spurt). It looks like the defense will probably be in a evalaution mode, from safety to tackle.

Based on these observations, I'm hopefull will do better than 8-8 but won't be terribly shocked if we're not. But I can live with that because I see the building blocks are starting to fall in place.

milkman
04-25-2001, 09:15 AM
The Chiefs have put the pieces in place for an offensive jugernaught, and have some talent on the defensive side of the ball.
The key to this team's continued improvement, aside from the coaching, is whether Bartee, Dennis, and Warfield can step up and be the type of cover corners some of us, myself included, think they can, now that the soft zone is, hopefully, a bad memory. JMO.

47mack
04-25-2001, 02:42 PM
I went with 9-7. Although there are many new faces, I think it will come together well enough for an above 500 season.

Tribal Warfare
04-25-2001, 03:06 PM
This is the Peterson formula, sign veterans to win now.
Trent Green will excel in the Saunders offense. Priest Holmes I'm unsure about, he was a good change of pace RB. That's why intrigued with Blaylock , he sounds like a young Napolean Kaufman or Charlie Garner. KC's WR's are solid but losing Lockett really hurt the Chiefs. The OL is shakey with Riley and Tait at Tackle . Shields, Willis, ? , at OG will determine the season for the Chiefs offense.

Defensive line is solid at DE, but the interior will determine how long the offense will stay on the field. I believe the CB's are very adequate with Bartee and Deninis having a chance to compete for a starting job. The LB's are set, Edwards shifting to SSLB and Atkins at WLB. MLB spot will be a war for the starting spot.

Special Teams are the difference makers between an average team to an excellant team. The kicking game is suspect, probably another mediocre year concerning this aspect.KR/PR , the PR will go to Blaylock if he's the 3rd stringer. The KR position will be drastically improved,Joe Horn will be the the MVP for the KC Chiefs 2001-02.

MrBlond
04-25-2001, 05:55 PM
I went with 11-5. It may be the optimism of spring, but I believe the offense is much improved. I think the D is in better shape than appears. Special teams and coaching have taken a quantum leap. And we won 7 games last year. give me one game from the improved defensive scheme, one game from the death of Rbbc and the QB who can't tell time, one game from special teams who can actually cover kickoffs, and one game from a stoogless coaching staff and you have 11 wins. Of course this prediction may change if Bubby really plays.

Frazod
04-25-2001, 11:12 PM
I also went with 11-5, predicated on Green staying healthy. A healthy Green should fill Smelvis's shoes easily, making up in heart and intelligence what he might lose by comparison in arm strength. He doesn't strike me as a whiny little b!tch, so that's a good start. I feel very good about T-Rich and Holmes in the backfield, and even better about numbnuts Raye being in DC. The O-line should be solid, and hopefully Minnis will come around quickly and Morris will improve. And, of course, let's hope that Tony just stays the same.

While I don't look for our defense to improve much (although I doubt if it gets any worse), I believe improvements on special teams and a well-balanced offense will compensate. We were handcuffed last year by poor coaching and bad attitude, but this new bunch should easily improve on last year. We brought in a truckload of guys (counting the coaches) with Superbowl rings - hopefully they'll rack up some more.

Basically, our season and hopes are hinged on Trent's knee (and any other body parts that might be injured). With him, we're contenders (at least in the division), without him, I fear Bubby will lead us straight into the toilet. But only time will tell.

Hope (as usual) springs eternal.

hawaiianboy
04-25-2001, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by KPhobia
I would have voted for 13-3 if that was an option.

Phob.... with this kind of optimism... I would love to be your stock broker...

I don't see any team getting more than 11 wins this year... For one thing.. we don't play the pansy NFCWest this year [you remember SF and Atlanta, right?].... We get teams from the NFC and AFC east instead...
a much harder slate...

For another thing,every team has helped itself this offseason...

Frazod
04-25-2001, 11:44 PM
So what's your take on all these big moves, JQ? Do you think we'll fail miserably, or are you getting nerrrrrvous?

Certainly no one has benefitted more from our recent ineptitude than the Raiders. Hopefully this will be changing...

Rausch
04-25-2001, 11:55 PM
And when they are present the world is good...

The sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening...

America blowing up a third world country...

And kicking the cat s#!t out of the Raiders twice a year...

Last year two of those key elements were missing, and my fragile grip on reality loosened quite a bit...Losing to the Raiders AT HOME!?! No bombs dropped on Iraq???Libya? Korea? Viet Nam? China?

The world is no longer safe for war!....

Frazod
04-25-2001, 11:59 PM
On the bright side, Brad, we are kicking the sh!t out of the Broncos twice a year. Losing to Oakland p!sses me off - losing to Denver makes we want to jump off a cliff.

hawaiianboy
04-26-2001, 12:11 AM
I guess you had to make the Green trade....

For the life of me I can't remember what Holmes is like on the field (Alziemers kicking in?) but I really thought you would end up with Garner, who was perfect for the Rams lite O.
That scared me!... Holmes may be a similar style back, I just can't remember...

Green and Holmeboy are a huge upgrades over Grbac and whatever converted FB you've used over the past few years... The Horne pick was huge for your return game...

As for your draft?... It blew chunks IMHO... Minnis was very overrated IMO... Passing on Milton Wynn for him was baffling....

But not grabbing a physical CB like William Peterson and an athletic, hustling DT like Kenny Smith was mindblowing.... You missed a chance to really improve your defense IMO.

I liked the Layne pick... he's a solid FB with attitude...

Bottom line? You guys have done well, but through my eyes, missed on doing great... Passing on Duece was the best thing you could do for me... I think hes going to be a special back.
... I would have kept the pick, signed Buerline and gone after Green next year when he's a FA... Drafted Duece, then spent the rest of the draft on defense... Of course, this is said in hindsight...

Frazod
04-26-2001, 12:28 AM
Had it been up to me, I would have kept the pick as well. Too big a chance on Green, IMO. But of course, it wasn't up to me. But much like my soon-to-be wife and my soon-to-be father in law, Carl does the thinking for me. I hope all their decisions work out.

Had it not been for the knee thing, I would have been all for dumping the first rounder for Trent. If his knee (and the rest of him) holds up, I'll be thrilled. Hope he gets fitted with a damned good brace.

I'm outta here. Goodnight.

hawaiianboy
04-26-2001, 01:18 AM
Sorry if that came out highly critical of your draft... if'n it makes anyone feel any better...
I critisized the Raiders also...
My 1st 3 RD wish list going in regarded getting some combo of:

Safety [Gibson or Akbar]
LB [Marshall or Hodge]
WR [Wynn or Rambo]

The board set up perfectly for my wish to come true... I walked away with Gibby and Rambo but no LB for the 3rd year in a row... I love Tui and Grant though so my complaint is quieted....

I have no doubt your offense will put points up, but somethings not right on the other side of the ball IMO...
We'll see what happens as far as pickups in the next month or so goes..

Later..

KCJohnny
04-26-2001, 06:42 AM
6-10.
Here's why:
Strength of schedule (brutal);
Green will not last 16 games. He is sacked once every 10 attempts (career);
Dick Vermiel's pattern has been down to go up (9-23 with the Rams in his first two years).

Still, it will be exciting football with a lot of close games and a disappointing December (live by the pass, die by the pass).

KCJ

keg in kc
04-26-2001, 06:55 AM
That sack thing with Green really worries me.

As for the statement about Dick Vermeil, in all fairness, please consider this:

Philadelphia:

1967 6-7-1 under Joe Kuharich
1968 2-12 under Joe Kuharich
1969 4-9-1 under Jerry Williams
1970 3-10-1 under Jerry Williams
1971 6-7-1 under Jerry Williams and Ed Khayat
1972 2-11-1 under Ed Khayat
1973 5-8-1 under Mike McCormack
1974 7-7 under Mike McCormack
1975 4-10 under Mike McCormack
1976 4-10 under Dick Vermeil
1977 5-9 under Dick Vermeil
1978 9-7 under Dick Vermeil
1979 11-5 under Dick Vermeil
1980 12-4 under Dick Vermeil
1981 10-6 under Dick Vermeil

St. Louis:
1990 5 -11 under John Robinson
1991 3-13 under John Robinson
1992 6-10 under Chuck Knox
1993 5-11 under Chuck Knox
1994 4-12 under Chuck Knox
1995 7-9 under Rich Brooks
1996 6-10 under Rich Brooks
1997 5-11 under Dick Vermeil
1998 4 12 under Dick Vermeil
1999 13-3 under Dick Vermeil

I don't expect miracles, of course, and it will be a year or two before we could contend, but Vermeil has done a lot in the past with a lot less talent than he's found here in KC. The fact is, if you look at his record at either Philly or St. Louis without considering what occured before his arrival, you're only looking at half the picture.

As I stated before: anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7, so I predict 8-8 as the mean...

Warrior5
04-26-2001, 06:58 AM
jq's last paragraph sums up what I wanted the Chiefs to do.
Since the draft is over, I concur with the Chaplain's reasoning except...I think the Chiefs will do better than 6-10 simply because the coaching staff is a major upgrade, the offense will be better, and so far the only major loss on defense has been Hasty.
No prognostications from me on W-L record until after TC...too many player transactions still to happen. Right now I don't predict any playoff appearance in 2001.

Mile High Mania
04-26-2001, 07:14 AM
Zod... prepare to jump off a cliff. There's one just outside of Denver. :-)

In all seriousness, I'm more pumped up about this season than most in recent memory. The Broncos look really strong. The Raiders appear ready to proudly defend their division title, and the likes of Seattle and KC should be on the move to 9 and 10 win seasons.

It shall be a spirited battle to the death...
And, I'll be in Denver when the Broncos stick the final nail in the Raiders' coffin in the final week.

KCinGA
04-26-2001, 03:12 PM
I went conservative and predicted a 9-7 season. The improvements to the 2001 Chiefs have far outweighed any losses we had in the off-season.

The special teams have changed from one of the causes of our downfall in 2000, to a possible game-breaking formula that will attribute to our successes in 2001. I'm really ecstatic with the special teams changes!

The offense will have a clear improvement last year with the influx of new faces in Green and Holmes. It should run like a well-oiled machine. It may take time, but I honestly believe it will happen quickly.

And, believe it or not, I feel that the defense will show some improvement this year. Losing Chester was an improvement in itself! But, with a year under their belt, the rookies should have come away learning something from 2000. I think they will surprise a lot of people. The key will be stopping the run - that is my only true worry. I like the speed and hitting abilities of the young secondary. It's the defensive line that will be the key to 2001's success or failure.

At the very least, the new coaching staff should avoid some of the bone-headed decisions of the Gunther era. I'm totally in support of Vermeil, Saunders, Robinson and Gansz.

I never imagined that the Chiefs could improve this much in one year. I hated seeing Garner go to the Raiders and Kennison to the Broncos, but we'll beat 'em both this year. We'll get to Gannon more this year and the Bronco defensive line will be a joke! (McGlockton and Let -- come on!!!)

Zebedee DuBois
04-26-2001, 08:27 PM
At this point, I see the Raiders and Broncos as the top tier in the AFC West, KC and Seattle in the middle with the Chargers all alone at the bottom. Of course it is really too early to tell what this off-season has really done for/to any of these teams.

I also hope that the Chiefs break into that upper tier.

yoswif
04-27-2001, 07:58 AM
11-5. With competent coaching against S.D., N.E., S.F., and Atl., we would have been 11-5 last year.
We have a much better offense with Green, Holmes, and Saunders. We have a better special teams with Stryzinski and Horne. Defense will be just as good or better without McGlockton and Kurt S.
All the teams on our schedule have just as many or more questions and concerns as we do. Like. Did Holmgren get four more Tongue's for the Hawks D? Will McGlockton be a cancer in Denver like every where else?
With as much turnover as there is with the salary cap and free agency, every team on our schedule will probably have just as many or more new starters and new players this year as us.
Having new coaches and new schemes designed to suit our players (as opposed to old coaches using whatever player was available in schemes designed to suit our coaches) should make us more competetive not less.

Chief Psychosis
04-27-2001, 08:33 AM
It is hard to tell to be honest, nobody thought that the depRavens and the Giants would be in the Super Bowl, this year, who knows? With all the parity, the Been-Gals and Cardinals will probably be in the SB!

duncan_idaho
04-27-2001, 10:55 AM
I think the Chiefs will do fairly well this year... I look for 8-10 wins, depending on how many breaks go our way, and how well Holmes does as the feature back.

IMO, the Chiefs are really gearing up for a run at the SB in 2002... there will be a lot more cap room, and hopefully we'll either draft a QBoTF, or DeShaun Foster, the best RB available next year.

Duncan Idaho,
Swordmaster of Ginaz
Telling it how it is...

DenverChief
04-27-2001, 02:48 PM
I too think the Chiefs will do well this year, 9-11 wins but we definatly need to get a better kicker for kickoffs as well as FG's. we definatly can't afford to miss anymore 40 yd FG's

mcan
04-27-2001, 02:53 PM
I don't see how we could do any worse than last year, since we have upgraded every position with the notable exceptions of Hasty and Grunhardt. But the lack of Kurt, Mike, and Jimmy makes that a wash. It seems feasable that we could win 10-12 games. Although, being Vermiel's 1st year... I don't know, we'll see.

DenverChief
02-13-2003, 06:53 PM
Ahh yes this one is good too....Only 13 people could see well enough into the future to see our true out come.....who are you?...I have some questions about upcoming lottery numbers:D:LOL:

Dave Lane
02-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by DenverChief
Ahh yes this one is good too....Only 13 people could see well enough into the future to see our true out come.....who are you?...I have some questions about upcoming lottery numbers:D:LOL:

Nope wrong this is 2001 not 2002 only 3 people got this right at 6-10

Dave

DenverChief
02-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Dave Lane

Nope wrong this is 2001 not 2002 only 3 people got this right at 6-10

Dave

ahhh chit...I suppose I should check the dates huh....:huh: :LOL: ;)

*EDIT*....only 3 eh?....maybe we do have some future seers:-D