PDA

View Full Version : Yasser Arafat - can anyone provide information on this?

chagrin
07-06-2007, 06:20 AM
I heard once or twice that during his "reign" that he never once prosecuted or jailed a terrorist for any act against Isreal, and that his government paid the families of suicide bombers pensions, while he denounced terrorism.

I knew about the families getting rewarded...

I know it's old and I don't care, I am having a hard time finding the answer online anywhere...anyone?

Mr. Kotter
07-06-2007, 06:47 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasser_Arafat

As for the charges of him being a terrorist, I searched the article for "jailed," "convicted," and "prosecuted".....and came up empty. Any such incident would have been early in his life, as I do not recall it--despite the persistent terrorist label (which FTR, I consider accurate.)

.... Some allege that activities of these groups were tolerated by Arafat as a means of applying pressure on Israel (see PLO and Hamas). Some Israeli government officials opined in 2002 that the Fatah's faction al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades began attacks on Israel to compete with Hamas.

On May 6, 2002, the Israeli government released a report, based in part on documents captured during the Israeli occupation of Arafat's Ramallah headquarters, with copies of papers signed by Arafat authorizing funding for the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades' activities....

chagrin
07-06-2007, 06:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasser_Arafat

As for the charges of him being a terrorist, I searched the article for "jailed," "convicted," and "prosecuted".....and came up empty. Any such incident would have been early in his life, as I do not recall it--despite the persistent terrorist label (which FTR, I consider accurate.)

I didn't think he himself personally commited the acts, even though I am quite sure he knew about all of them.

I just seem to remember him always making nice on the cameras, etc denouncing Terrorism but wasn't aware of any conviction he got against a terrorist during his "administration"

Mr. Kotter
07-06-2007, 07:27 AM
I didn't think he himself personally commited the acts, even though I am quite sure he knew about all of them.

I just seem to remember him always making nice on the cameras, etc denouncing Terrorism but wasn't aware of any conviction he got against a terrorist during his "administration"

He was a classic "politician" in that sense....talked out of both sides of his mouth, depending on who his audience was, at a given moment in time.

However, the thing that made him particularly dangerous/insidious was the combination of his skillful manipulation of the press (including the Western press) AND the press's complicity in looking the "other way" and selectively ignoring or downplaying his more outrageous statements and actions.