PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's campaign has more money than John McCain's

jAZ
07-06-2007, 12:04 PM
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/07/ron-paul-tops-m.html

Ron Paul Tops McCain in Cash on Hand
Share July 06, 2007 1:14 PM

ABC News' George Stephanopoulos Reports: Though often regarded as a longshot candidate for president, Republican Ron Paul tells ABC News that he has an impressive $2.4 million in cash on hand after raising an equal amount during the second quarter, putting him ahead of one-time Republican frontrunner John McCain, who reported this week he has only $2 million in the bank.

In an exclusive interview taped Friday and airing Sunday on "This Week," Paul said his campaign is on a better trajectory than McCain's.

"I think some of the candidates are on the down-slope, and we're on the up-slope," said Paul.

Paul's cash on hand puts him in third place in the Republican field in that important metric, although he is well behind leader Rudy Giuliani, who has $18 million in the bank, and Mitt Romney, with $12 million.

Paul, who polls show with support in the low single digits, said his surprisingly strong fundraising is the best measure of his support.

"I think people have underestimated the number of people in this country who are interested in a freedom message," says the Republican congressman from Texas, who has strong libertarian leanings.

To watch Paul's full interview, tune in to "This Week" on Sunday (check local listings).

Cochise
07-06-2007, 12:12 PM
On the "up slope?" There's nowhere for him to go but up.

Anyway, it's too bad that McCain had to do himself in with the immigration bill like he did. I think he could have made a pretty good candidate.

jAZ
07-06-2007, 12:14 PM
On the "up slope?" There's nowhere for him to go but up.

Anyway, it's too bad that McCain had to do himself in with the immigration bill like he did. I think he could have made a pretty good candidate.
First it was his buddying up with Bush.

Then it was his flip-flop on the radical religious right.

Then it was his position on the war.

I think McCain made strategic mistakes early and often.

Cochise
07-06-2007, 12:18 PM
First it was his buddying up with Bush.

Then it was his flip-flop on the radical religious right.

Then it was his position on the war.

I think McCain made strategic mistakes early and often.

Buddying up with Bush does not hurt him in the primary. Bush maintains reasonable levels of popularity among the right. Rudy is as buddied up with him as anyone and he's not limping.

I don't know what flip-flop you are talking about, but the people who get mad about a flip-flop aren't the ones you are flipping to. They are happy.

The majority of Americans, especially the Republican base, want the war to end as soon as possible but do not favor an all-out retreat.

It really just begins and ends with immigration, when you talk about the popularity that he's lost. He could have easily played Nixon to your guys' McGovern this time around.

jAZ
07-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Buddying up with Bush does not hurt him in the primary. Bush maintains reasonable levels of popularity among the right. Rudy is as buddied up with him as anyone and he's not limping.

I don't know what flip-flop you are talking about, but the people who get mad about a flip-flop aren't the ones you are flipping to. They are happy.

The majority of Americans, especially the Republican base, want the war to end as soon as possible but do not favor an all-out retreat.

It really just begins and ends with immigration, when you talk about the popularity that he's lost. He could have easily played Nixon to your guys' McGovern this time around.
McCain might have been the presumtive nominee, but he went from smeared by Bush in 2000 to falsly buddying up with him (from 2001-2004) when he was powerful. When he (Bush) collapsed, that buddying up turned from just looking fake to an anchor of disapproval.

Then he did the same thing with the religious right... abandoning his straight talk and buddying up with those who he had (right or wrong) called out in 2000. Again, what at first looked like a winning strategy turned bad and the public (both sides) and the media projected it as fake.

Then his little Bahgdad market tour turned his (possibly authentic) support for the failing war... into yet another obviously bogus position.

McCain's primary strength had been his "straighttalk". His campaign strategy effectively was to try to become Bush's moderate incumbant. In doing so, so publicly, he linked himself to a less and less popular president and reversed himself on his straight talk position that he lost any credibility and "darling" status with the media and eventually it seems with the public.

His public talk about his position on immigration long post dates the fall of McCain.

jAZ
07-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Rudy is as buddied up with him as anyone and he's not limping.
Rudy started out doing a variation of the same thing (his position on abortion is far more liberal than McCain's and thus required a degree of difference in his linkage). His fortunes were about to head south as well and he realized so and reversed course on his talking points on the abortion issue. That helped his credibility. McCain has not does anything of the sort.

He's also explicitly stayed away from the issue of Iraq COMPLETELY.

BucEyedPea
07-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Just as soon as I get a few financial things in order myself, I plan on donating to Paul's campaign monthly. I'm seein' a lot of Ron Paul signs on the hgwhy and on lawns as well as bumper stickers...heard the same for NH.

Thanks for the info jaz...although he still has a long way to go. Some of the others could still lose momemtum over time. We'll see...

In 1988 he came in third on the popular vote. :hmmm:
That's apparently true.

Taco John
07-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Buddying up with Bush does not hurt him in the primary. Bush maintains reasonable levels of popularity among the right.

I don't believe that for a second after coming back from vacation from my hometown farming community ESPECIALLY after this whole immigration fracas...

patteeu
07-06-2007, 07:54 PM
I think the title on this article/thread should have been "John McCain's campaign has even less money than Ron Paul's."

recxjake
07-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Rudy started out doing a variation of the same thing (his position on abortion is far more liberal than McCain's and thus required a degree of difference in his linkage). His fortunes were about to head south as well and he realized so and reversed course on his talking points on the abortion issue. That helped his credibility. McCain has not does anything of the sort.

He's also explicitly stayed away from the issue of Iraq COMPLETELY.

WRONG!

He has talked about Iraq over and over again....

His main point on Iraq is, if we leave now, who wins?

Also he points out that no time in American history have we given our enemy the exact date of our withdrawl!

jAZ
07-06-2007, 08:04 PM
WRONG!

He has talked about Iraq over and over again....

Also he points out that no time in American history have we given our enemy the exact date of our withdrawl!
What's his position exactly?

So far you've given a question and a non-seqitor and seem to be asserting that it is his position on Iraq.

BucEyedPea
07-06-2007, 08:05 PM

The Iraqis!
They may fight a civil war....let 'em until there's a decisive victory.
Ain't none of our damn business. I call that a win for us as well! :)

HolmeZz
07-06-2007, 08:07 PM
What's his position exactly?.

IF WE LEAVE NOW, WHO WINS?

recxjake
07-06-2007, 08:12 PM
What's his position exactly?

So far you've given a question and a non-seqitor and seem to be asserting that it is his position on Iraq.

From what I've heard he believes that the surge is best option, and leaving now would only create bigger problems down the line.

BucEyedPea
07-06-2007, 08:44 PM
From what I've heard he believes that the surge is best option, and leaving now would only create bigger problems down the line.
It won't get better if we stay and it won't get better if we leave.
That's why it's a quagmire.

recxjake
07-06-2007, 08:52 PM
It won't get better if we stay and it won't get better if we leave.
That's why it's a quagmire.

How about we let the Generals on the ground decide if it is working or not?

It seems to me that America is now full of Middle East experts....

BucEyedPea
07-06-2007, 08:59 PM
What do you say that should have been done before going in?
At least they weren't political lackey's with a death wish.
It's too little too late, rex. And there are generals in the Gulf that don't agree with Bush. Lugar says he gets a report on Iraq daily and and he isn't seeing any gain from it.
Believe or not, there ARE people who predicted this...one is Brent Scowcroft his father's Natl Security advisor and ME expert. I'll stick with those who made accurate predictions.

I say we are a govt by the people for the people not a country run by IlDuces.

recxjake
07-06-2007, 09:02 PM
What do you say that should have been done before going in?
At least they weren't political lackey's with a death wish.
It's too little too late, rex. And there are generals in the Gulf that don't agree with Bush. Lugar says he gets a report on Iraq daily and and he isn't seeing any gain from it.

Believe or not, there ARE people who predicted this...one is Brent Scowcroft his father's Natl Security advisor and ME expert. I'll stick with those who made accurate predictions.

I say we are a govt by the people for the people not a country run by IlDuces.

2 more months and General Patraeus will be giving his view on the situation.... I'll wait for that.

HolmeZz
07-06-2007, 09:03 PM
2 more months and General Patraeus will be giving his view on the situation.... I'll wait for that.

Something magical is gonna happen in September.

I CAN FEEL IT

BucEyedPea
07-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Fine. That was brought up to Lugar as well. He answered he gets a report daily.
That's good enough for me.

jAZ
07-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Provide a transcript of him addressing the issue publicly please. His stump history is one of speaking of 9/11 and the WOT and ignoring any specific comment on Iraq.

I don't think you will find anywhere where he says that he will staying in Iraq "as long as it takes" or some similar Bush-type quote.

But prove me wrong.

jAZ
07-06-2007, 09:12 PM
That's what Rudy's doing.

Holding his finger in the air and waiting to see which way the wind blows too.

jAZ
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM

Bullshit.

We aren't a military dictatorship. We tell the generals what to do. Not the other way around.

recxjake
07-06-2007, 09:15 PM
That's what Rudy's doing.

Holding his finger in the air and waiting to see which way the wind blows too.

You just want him to say get out now.... well, he's not.

recxjake
07-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Bullshit.

We aren't a military dictatorship. We tell the generals what to do. Not the other way around.

We told the Generals what to do.... stabilize Iraq.... in 2 months we will know if it worked or not.... then after that we can decide what to do next.

recxjake
07-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Provide a transcript of him addressing the issue publicly please. His stump history is one of speaking of 9/11 and the WOT and ignoring any specific comment on Iraq.

I don't think you will find anywhere where he says that he will staying in Iraq "as long as it takes" or some similar Bush-type quote.

But prove me wrong.

Ex-NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani released this paper statement tonight on the president’s Iraq speech:

“Success or failure in Iraq is not a matter of partisan politics but a matter of national security. All Americans should be hoping, praying and offering constructive advice for the success of our troops in Iraq and for those Iraqis seeking to create a stable and decent government. In that spirit, I support the President’s increase in troops. Even more importantly – I support the change in strategy – the focus on security and the emphasis on a political and economic solution as being even more important than a military solution.I would add to it a heavy emphasis on measuring results and having the flexibility of adapting our strategy to make certain we restore security as quickly as possible.