PDA

View Full Version : Back 2 Back 2 Back

KCFalcon59
07-06-2007, 11:32 PM
What a hell of a night. My son plays baseball on a midget 9 division team for Ken Berry here in Topeka. Tonight was the championship game between us the Giants and the Outlaws.

The regular season finished with us in first place for the 3rd year in a row. We tied with the 2nd place team but won the title because we swept them. Then we began our quest for the post season double elimination tournament championship.

We quickly dispatched everyone and earned a spot in the championship game. We defeated the outlaws and sent them to the loser bracket. The Outlaws are a great team and easily won their way back to the championship game last night. Now all we needed was 1 win to secure the title.

Last night was a hard fought game. Both teams had to overcome a bad umpire. I mean real bad. The Outlaws scorekeeper and I (scorekeeper for the Giants) couldn't get over how bad it was last night. Suffice to say we lost by 1 run, 7-6. Our first tournament loss in 3 years. This meant we would need to win tonight to secure the title.

The championship game has no time limit and goes for 6 innings. We are the home team for this game. The Outlaws start out hot and score 3 runs in the top of the first. Then we come out blazing and scored 7 runs. End of 1st Giants lead 7-3.

Then the battle began. We were held scoreless the next 3 innings. Great play by the Outlaws and some fielding errors by us let the Outlaws take a commanding lead by scoring 1, 4, and 5 runs over those same innings. Outlaws lead 13-7 after 4.

We hold the Outlaws scoreless in the 5th. The bottom of the 5th we score 6 runs to tie the game. After 5 innings 13 - 13 tie. The top of the 6th goes quick. At this point in the game we have used up our starting pitching and are running out some of our lesser used pitchers. The Oulaws go 1,2,3 in the top of the 6th. All we need is 1 run to win. We end up loading the bases with 2 outs. We drive the count full and then hit a hard bouncer to the 3rd basemen who fumbles it, recovers and forces the runner at 3rd.

On to extra innings. We sent out another of our lesser used pitchers. He immediately strikes out the top 2 batters in the inning. Then the Outlaws go on a hitting spree. They score 4 runs to take a commanding lead. We were stunned. We thought our streak was over. On to the bottom of the 7th.

We promptly benefitted from a hit batter, a hit and a walk to load the bases. The next batter cleared the bases with a double. He was driven in moments later to tie the game. We made an out after our lead runner got caught in a rundown. Then we soon got runners on 2nd and 3rd. A wild pitch a few pitches later allowed the winning run to score. Giants win 18 - 17. A classic between 2 outstanding teams.

I couldn't be more proud of a bunch of kids then I am tonight. They fought back through adversity to tie the game twice and pulled it out. Champions again. It was a gut wrenching game that went back and forth.

Did I mention it was hotter than hell out there. Phew!! What a special group of kids. They have a great coach who is a great teacher of the game of baseball and never loses his temper. He makes the game fun. The kids really respond to him.

Way to go Giants!!!!

Guru
07-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Congrats to the kids.

milkman
07-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Ken Berry?

The guy from Mayberry R.F.D?

KCFalcon59
07-06-2007, 11:38 PM
My son after the win.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/KCFalcon59/100_0394.jpg

Lzen
07-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Congrats. I understand how it is when your child's team does well. It's hard to hold back the emotion of your kid doing well in sports. :thumb:

KCFalcon59
07-06-2007, 11:45 PM
It was such a great game by both teams. I feel bad the Outlaws didn't win because the played their hearts out. I was sure we would lose twice in this game. The kids really had no quit in them.

Guru
07-06-2007, 11:47 PM
....I was sure we would lose twice in this game. ....
See what the Chiefs do to us.

KCFalcon59
07-06-2007, 11:57 PM
See what the Chiefs do to us.

I know. I was sure we would lose, even knowing we are a good team and have come back from deficits before. The game lasted over 3 hours. These kids just would not give in. What a game to witness.

HolmeZz
07-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Do they like being called midgets?

KCFalcon59
07-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Do they like being called midgets?

The divisions are mini, midget, minor, major, and metro. I really don't think they care. They just love playing baseball.

KCFalcon59
07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Proud Papa bump

kcmaxwell
07-07-2007, 11:14 AM
congrads to the kids!! its always cool watching kids who love to play the game, all heart and no quit! good good stuff, again, congratulations!
maxwell

Rain Man
07-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I would hate to be your General Manager next year. Every one of those kids is going to want to redo their contract.

Congratulations, though.

KCFalcon59
07-07-2007, 12:29 PM
I would hate to be your General Manager next year. Every one of those kids is going to want to redo their contract.

Congratulations, though.

I just hope my boys gets box seats and all the hot dogs and gatorade I can consume written in his contract.

Phobia
07-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Congrats. The thread title ruined the suspense for me. It was like reading the last page of a book first. ;)