View Full Version : Powell: 'I tried to avoid this war'

jAZ
07-08-2007, 07:59 PM
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Powell_I_tried_to_avoid_this_0708.html

Powell: 'I tried to avoid this war'
RAW STORY
Published: Sunday July 8, 2007

Print This Email This

It was revealed today that prior to the Iraq war, then-Secretary of State Colin Powell spent two and a half hours trying in vain to convince President George W. Bush not to invade.

"I tried to avoid this war," Powell told the Aspen Ideas Festival in Colorado, reports Sarah Baxter in the Sunday Times. Powell said he walked Bush through the risks of becoming an occupying force in an Arab country.

The sectarian violence in Iraq has escalated to the point of civil war, said Powell, and one that US forces cannot resolve.

Baxter points to plans being drawn up by Defense Secretary Robert Gates to begin a slow troop reduction to pre-"surge" levels as signs that "the views of Powell and other critics of the war are finally being heard in the Pentagon, if not yet in the White House."

Powell also asserts that any reduction in US troops must be accompanied by diplomatic measures with Syria and Iran, writes Baxter.

However, Powell may have a hard time convincing the anti-war public of his message.

"It's really too late for Mr. Powell to redeem his reputation now," comments Kevin Robbins of New York, on the Sunday Times web site. "He could have resigned and gone public at the time rather than signing on to the whole fiasco."

While "Fernandez" from San Francisco sarcastically jibes, "A whopping 2.5 hours. Wow."

chagrin
07-08-2007, 08:04 PM
dude get this shit outta here :shake:

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
He did avoid most of the war. His ass got fired.

Warrior5
07-08-2007, 08:29 PM
WFDA

BigMeatballDave
07-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Hey, dosent this shit belong in the septic tank?

BigMeatballDave
07-08-2007, 08:49 PM
His ass got fired.Stepped down, quit, terminated. Whatever you wish to call it. I am so sure he's all broken up about it...

Brock
07-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah, another jaz "oops" moment.

go bowe
07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
dude get this shit outta here :shake:are you disoriented?

d.c. is the "outta here" for the planet...

try harder to keep up, would you?

go bowe
07-08-2007, 09:51 PM
almost forgot...

one man's shit is another man's delight...

now, you may ask, why would any man be delighted with shit...

nttiawwt

chiefforlife
07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
I find it interesting. Powell bailed, he didnt get fired. When he realized the whole pretense to going to war was false.
I would love to see him run for office.

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
are you disoriented?

d.c. is the "outta here" for the planet...

try harder to keep up, would you?

jAZ posted this on the main forum. It got moved.

Try harder to keep up, would you?

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2007, 10:02 PM
I find it interesting. Powell bailed, he didnt get fired...

Hey, Powell had a long and distinguished career of service to this country. It was only proper that he should be allowed to resign.

WoodDraw
07-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't tend to give too much respect to those who couldn't bother speaking up when it could have meant something. What good does this do us now?

Taco John
07-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Powell confirms to me why he's not presidential material. He's nothing more than an order taker.

Ugly Duck
07-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Powell will never git the stench of Bushron off his bod after the United Nations fiasco.

Logical
07-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Powell will never git the stench of Bushron off his bod after the United Nations fiasco.Yup, he screwed the pooch by not resigning and instead making that very ill advised UN speech.

memyselfI
07-09-2007, 06:44 AM
He's culpable as much, if not MORE, than DUHbya if he actually 'tried to stop it' and then turned around and did a snow, er, sales job on the world.

Although I'm glad he's revealing DUHbya did not listen to him or anyone else, I think this CYA after the fact and after billions spent and thousands of lives lost or ruined is just pathetic. Colin Powell is pathetic right along with GWB.

stevieray
07-09-2007, 07:10 AM
" I would've double-bagged it"

go bowe
07-09-2007, 02:25 PM
jAZ posted this on the main forum. It got moved.

Try harder to keep up, would you?well, that's an interesting point...

perhaps i should come around more often so that I can try harder to keep up...

but i'll probably still be behinder... :huh: :huh: :huh:

Boyceofsummer
07-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Powell will never git the stench of Bushron off his bod after the United Nations fiasco.

the lies and dramatic acting this admistration used to cheat and steal America into a needless war. They systimaticaly used misinformation that all branches of U.S. inteligence agancies new were lies and misinformation. Then they circumvented the top military and pentagon planners assesment of military strategy for defeating and maintainig Iraq. Now after all of the nay-sayers worst predictions have come to pass this administration clings to the lie that we can not fail to win Iraq. BULLSHIT! If you still buy this President and King Cheney's monstourous political power grab you need to be buried and then dug-up like the now famous aluminum tubes that could create a mushroom cloud in America.

Logical
07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
" I would've double-bagged it"Stevie have you been eating weird mushrooms?