PDA

View Full Version : The Lawrence Fake Homeless Kids

banyon
07-09-2007, 01:55 PM
I feel like ranting today.

I was walking in beautiful downtown Lawrence today to grab a bite for lunch. These two kids about 19-21 yrs old are slouched in front of the antique mall with their mangy dog. Although it is clear they are in good health, they are dressed in disheveled clothes with their hair all natted up.

Let me say that I believe homelessness is a serious problem facing our country. Many of the homeless have truly fallen on hard times, or are mentally ill and need to be receiving medication.

So I walk by this Bohemian couple and the guy says

"Hey man, gimme some change."

Not "do you have any change", "I'll perform for some change", "change for a vet", but just hand it to him, he is entitled to it.

Then I say, "I don't have any" (which I did not at the time)

Then he says, "Well just gimme a dollar."

Oh, yeah, that makes it better. :rolleyes: WTF?!!!

So I just shook my head and went on.

Then after buying lunch with $ given to me by my employer and going back to my office with it, the guy is like "Hey you have change now." (which was not mine)

I just went on.

That being said, these kind of people make me want to just punch them in the f***ing face.

I mean these kids were perfectly healthy, probably have a family that still loves them, but they've decided to "rough it" as temporary homeless for a while. I doubt they have applied for a job or made any efforts to better themselves in a year. But in Lawrence, KS, there are enough bleeding hearts around to make this activity feasible for a while.

Radar Chief
07-09-2007, 01:57 PM
So I walk by this Bohemian couple and the guy says

:eek: You don't say. :shake:

ROFL

banyon
07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
:eek: You don't say. :shake:

ROFL

Eh, I hit the wrong button before I was done. :)

banyon
07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
BTW, anyone ever seen that Star Trek DS9 episode where they go back in time to the 2020's and the homeless relocation camps?

Cochise
07-09-2007, 02:07 PM
I saw a lot of beggars in Miami when I was there on business recently. But the whole city I found to be kind of dirty and scary so I guess it fit.

Come to think of it, when I was in New York this spring I can't remember seeing a single one. Maybe they just keep them out of sight somehow.

BucEyedPea
07-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Did someone steal banyon's account?

Radar Chief
07-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Eh, I hit the wrong button before I was done. :)

I kinda figured, but why pass up the opportunity to be a smart ass. ;)

I know exactly what you’re talking about, though I’d just assumed it was part of the “hippy” culture Lawrencions seem to embrace. :shrug:

Baby Lee
07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
The Texas Panhandler (http://www.tv.com/king-of-the-hill/the-texas-panhandler/episode/415769/summary.html?tag=ep_list;ep_title;12)

trndobrd
07-09-2007, 02:48 PM
It can be a very fine line between "hippie" and "bum". If it makes you feel any better, he is probably in a musical band of some sort.

banyon
07-09-2007, 03:04 PM
It can be a very fine line between "hippie" and "bum". If it makes you feel any better, he is probably in a musical band of some sort.

We have a lot of the slovenly that play their instruments too. This includes the ultra-weird "maracas" lady. She sits emotionless on the curb, shaking the maracas in a very montonous rhythm which never changes. She, however, is dressed in a reasoble way and appears to shower regularly, which makes me think she is conducting some sort of sociological experiment. Maybe to prove that donations have nothing to do with musical ability or talent?

Anyway, I think the musical homeless/indigent are fine. They are at least trying to contribute something to society. It's these fake kids that bug me.

I've been to Paris and had a 8 year old girl beg for one of the hamburgers I was eating saying "mange,...mange!" I've also seen the very humble Prague beggars who just have their faces to the ground, supplicating themselves to the public. (I gave the girl a burger by BTW).

Compared to these real cases of abject, mostly unavoidable poverty, these bum kids should be ashamed of themselves. And if you're going to accost passersby for $, at least have a schtick. Like the one drunk indian guy that always asks me for bus fare to Topeka. He's been here for four years and could've walked back and forth 1000 times by now, but at least he's got a thing.

These kids are probably from Overland Park, or its Chicago equivalent and got tired of working at the GAP.

Adept Havelock
07-09-2007, 03:06 PM
BTW, anyone ever seen that Star Trek DS9 episode where they go back in time to the 2020's and the homeless relocation camps?

It reminded me of Niven/Pournelle/Stirling's "Welfare Islands" for the citizen class (not to be confused with the socially higher "Taxpayer" class) from their "CoDominium" series of future histories.

Frazod
07-09-2007, 03:18 PM
I love the fat beggars. There are two I regularly see on my way to and from the train station. And when I say fat, I mean these turds are fatter than I am.

How in the hell do you end up being a FAT beggar? :spock:

Obviously they get nothing from me. Of course, neither do any of the rest of them. My wasted tax dollars should be enough. 4321

Radar Chief
07-09-2007, 03:20 PM
We have a lot of the slovenly that play their instruments too. This includes the ultra-weird "maracas" lady. She sits emotionless on the curb, shaking the maracas in a very montonous rhythm which never changes. She, however, is dressed in a reasoble way and appears to shower regularly, which makes me think she is conducting some sort of sociological experiment. Maybe to prove that donations have nothing to do with musical ability or talent?

Still got the “Honk for Hemp” guy?

Radar Chief
07-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Still got the “Honk for Hemp” guy?

I remember there used to be this dumbass that drove around Lawrence with cd’s hot glued all over his car. Looked like an automobile shaped disco ball going down the road.

eazyb81
07-09-2007, 03:24 PM
I have never given a beggar money before and I never will. There's no reason they can't get a job working at McDonald's or somewhere else if they need money so bad. I don't work because I like it, I work so I have money to support myself, and they should to.

You should have told that guy to go F himself, and if he gave you any back talk just kick him upside his head.

I have a friend that lives in San Fran, and he says the place if filled with beggars because the weather is nice and the government is so liberal.

Sidenote: Why can the government ban prostitution but not begging?

trndobrd
07-09-2007, 03:36 PM
You should have told that guy to go F himself, and if he gave you any back talk just kick him upside his head.

Or thrown a couple quarters down the sidewalk and told the punk to go get them.

BucEyedPea
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
I have never given a beggar money before and I never will.
Me either. But I have brought some a bottle of booze in a paper bag on occasion. Better that than straight cash.

eazyb81
07-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Or thrown a couple quarters down the sidewalk and told the punk to go get them.

Ha, that would have been good to.

"Go fetch b#tch"

trndobrd
07-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Ha, that would have been good to.

"Go fetch b#tch"

A real wino would be running before the change hit the ground.

banyon
07-09-2007, 05:05 PM
A real wino would be running before the change hit the ground.

These kids would say "Hey, totally uncool man."

trndobrd
07-09-2007, 05:06 PM
These kids would say "Hey, totally uncool man."

That's when you walk up to the next person walking by, hand them a $5 bill and say "have a nice day".

NewChief
07-09-2007, 06:29 PM
They were probably Rainbow Family. They just had their national gathering in Arkansas and descended upon our State like a plague of locusts. They're now spreading back out to their usual spare changing locations. They're not nicknamed Drainbows for nothing.

trndobrd
07-09-2007, 08:16 PM
They were probably Rainbow Family. They just had their national gathering in Arkansas and descended upon our State like a plague of locusts. They're now spreading back out to their usual spare changing locations. They're not nicknamed Drainbows for nothing.

The county spends all that money on fire hoses and pumper trucks and they can't get rid of a few panhandlers?

Valiant
07-09-2007, 11:48 PM
I love the fat beggars. There are two I regularly see on my way to and from the train station. And when I say fat, I mean these turds are fatter than I am.

How in the hell do you end up being a FAT beggar? :spock:

Obviously they get nothing from me. Of course, neither do any of the rest of them. My wasted tax dollars should be enough. 4321

There is a fat guy here in KC that begs, but he only asks for food since he is a diabetic and he needs it to survive... He said if someone gives him money then great but he only needs food.. It was an article in the Pitch about 10-15 homeless beggars, the older black guy in the Plaza supposably makes 6figures a year by his estimates...

patteeu
07-10-2007, 06:12 AM

Anyway, I think the musical homeless/indigent are fine. They are at least trying to contribute something to society. It's these fake kids that bug me.

I've been to Paris and had a 8 year old girl beg for one of the hamburgers I was eating saying "mange,...mange!" I've also seen the very humble Prague beggars who just have their faces to the ground, supplicating themselves to the public. (I gave the girl a burger by BTW).

Compared to these real cases of abject, mostly unavoidable poverty, these bum kids should be ashamed of themselves. And if you're going to accost passersby for $, at least have a schtick. Like the one drunk indian guy that always asks me for bus fare to Topeka. He's been here for four years and could've walked back and forth 1000 times by now, but at least he's got a thing.

These kids are probably from Overland Park, or its Chicago equivalent and got tired of working at the GAP.

I see how it is. You'll fork it over for foreign beggars from France and former communist countries, but not good old made-in-America hobos. :shake: :p

eazyb81
07-10-2007, 07:51 AM
.. It was an article in the Pitch about 10-15 homeless beggars, the older black guy in the Plaza supposably makes 6figures a year by his estimates...

Now that guy is cool. I would call him more of a street performer than a beggar, since he brings a boombox and a cardboard mat out with him and then does some awesome breakdancing.

I actually have given that guy a dollar before down in the Crossroads area for a First Friday, but it's almost like he performed a service for me. He didn't just sit there and ask for money.

banyon
07-10-2007, 07:58 AM

What's all that about , NC?

NewChief
07-10-2007, 08:11 AM
What's all that about , NC?

Basically, hippie tribe that has a yearly exercise in communal living in the National Forests. Gatherings can be from 1-20k, depending on the area. This national gathering only had about 6,000 people in attendance, probably due to the fact that the idiots had it in Arkansas in July, just about the worst time to be in our fair state, rivaled only by August.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Family

The Rainbow Family of Living Light, sometimes known as the Rainbow Tribe, is a loose international affiliation of individuals who have a common goal of trying to achieve peace and love on Earth. Those who participate in, or sympathize with, the activities of this group sometimes refer to their group simply as the "Family." The words Rainbow Family in the longer title are both a reference to the group's inclusiveness of all people and to "living lightly," an awareness of the great effect one can have on his or her environment. Rainbow Family participants make the claim that their group is the "largest non-organization of non-members in the world." In addition to referring to itself as a non-organization, the group's "non-members" also even playfully call the group a "disorganization." There are no official leaders or structure, no official spokespersons, and no formalized membership. Instead, the Rainbow Family form communities through shared "traditions" of love for the Earth, and gatherings to pray for peace. It is maintained by councils that consist of any "non-member" who wishes to be part of the council.

The first Gathering occurred in San Francisco, California in 1969, but was not widely known as "the Rainbow Gathering" until 1972. The Rainbow Family is most widely known for its large annual American Gatherings (or U.S. "Nationals" and/or "Annuals") which are held on U.S. Forest Service lands. These U.S. Annual Gatherings usually attract between 10,000 and 25,000 participants and appear to be a constant source of concern for the U.S. Forest Service. They are held in the summer around the time of the Fourth of July and are highlighted by a prayer for peace reverberating through the land as an awe inspiring Aum (Om) of thousands.

In addition to these larger U.S. Annuals, the Rainbow Family also holds gatherings throughout the year in dozens of other countries. "World Gatherings" are also held from time to time in various countries. Other Rainbow Family activities include regional gatherings (or Regionals) and retreats. There are also small, local activities such as local drum circles, potlucks, music related events and campouts.

All Rainbow Gatherings are held with an open invitation to people of all walks of life, and of all beliefs, to share experiences, love, dance, songs, food and learning.

chagrin
07-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Eh, don't let it get you down, they're probably also against the war and government, maybe you should have helped them, you know, for the cause.

Side note, these are probably two of the 55% that Jaz was yiping about the other day, lol!

Radar Chief
07-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Basically, hippie tribe that has a yearly exercise in communal living in the National Forests. Gatherings can be from 1-20k, depending on the area. This national gathering only had about 6,000 people in attendance, probably due to the fact that the idiots had it in Arkansas in July, just about the worst time to be in our fair state, rivaled only by August.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Family

:LOL: Gathering of non-bath taking hippies in the Ozarks in July. Great plan. ROFL

StcChief
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Aren't most college towns having some kinda experiment going on all the time. ?

NewChief
07-10-2007, 12:32 PM
:LOL: Gathering of non-bath taking hippies in the Ozarks in July. Great plan. ROFL

They probably also don't believe in insect repellent for the most part. I can just imagine the amount of bites they had on them after a couple of weeks in the woods. It's also been unseasonably wet for the last month, so the place had to be a mud hole.

trndobrd
07-10-2007, 12:50 PM
They probably also don't believe in insect repellent for the most part. I can just imagine the amount of bites they had on them after a couple of weeks in the woods. It's also been unseasonably wet for the last month, so the place had to be a mud hole.

Mosquitos aren't as attraced to hippies as they are to humans.

Radar Chief
07-10-2007, 01:36 PM

Well, if it wasn’t a mud hole before it probably is one now with 6K people stomping around.
And I’d feel sorry for any mosquito that bit one of’em. The lice and scabies they’re already infested with would easily repel the invader. ;)
Ticks are a different case though, you guys have some mean deer ticks.