PDA

View Full Version : Michael Yon dispatch 7-6

Cochise
07-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Michael Yon writes a can't-miss blog from Iraq at http://www.michaelyon-online.com/

An excerpt from last Friday's dispatch:

Friday, July 6th, 2007

...Speaking through an American interpreter, Lieutenant David Wallach who is a native Arabic speaker, the Iraqi official related how al Qaeda united these gangs who then became absorbed into “al Qaeda.” They recruited boys born during the years 1991, 92 and 93 who were each given weapons, including pistols, a bicycle and a phone (with phone cards paid) and a salary of $100 per month, all courtesy of al Qaeda. These boys were used for kidnapping, torturing and murdering people.

At first, he said, they would only target Shia, but over time the new al Qaeda directed attacks against Sunni, and then anyone who thought differently. The official reported that on a couple of occasions in Baqubah, al Qaeda invited to lunch families they wanted to convert to their way of thinking. In each instance, the family had a boy, he said, who was about 11 years old. As LT David Wallach interpreted the man’s words, I saw Wallach go blank and silent. He stopped interpreting for a moment. I asked Wallach, “What did he say?” Wallach said that at these luncheons, the families were sat down to eat. And then their boy was brought in with his mouth stuffed. The boy had been baked. Al Qaeda served the boy to his family.

dirk digler
07-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I just started reading his blog a few weeks ago. Very riveting stuff and I read this piece this morning actually.

Michael could make a whole movie franchise on what he has seen and reported.

I just hope that story about baking children turns out to be not true.

Taco John
07-13-2007, 10:24 AM
I just hope that story about baking children turns out to be not true.

When I read that, my impression was that he was reporting an urban legend. Not that they're not brutal people, but the context of the story didn't make much sense.

patteeu
07-14-2007, 10:11 AM
When I read that, my impression was that he was reporting an urban legend. Not that they're not brutal people, but the context of the story didn't make much sense.

I didn't completely understand the context either, but I don't know what basis exists for declaring this to be either true or an urban legend (although you're certainly entitled to form an "impression"). According to Yon, this is a story told to him by a local Iraqi leader IIRC. In other words, it's no more or less credible than the majority of major media reports that are based on the reporting of local Iraqis because, unlike Yon, most western reporters are unwilling to leave the Green Zone.

On second thought, maybe it is more credible precisely because Yon is out in the field instead of reporting from a Baghdad hotel. :shrug:

ChiefaRoo
07-14-2007, 07:02 PM
I didn't completely understand the context either, but I don't know what basis exists for declaring this to be either true or an urban legend (although you're certainly entitled to form an "impression"). According to Yon, this is a story told to him by a local Iraqi leader IIRC. In other words, it's no more or less credible than the majority of major media reports that are based on the reporting of local Iraqis because, unlike Yon, most western reporters are unwilling to leave the Green Zone.

On second thought, maybe it is more credible precisely because Yon is out in the field instead of reporting from a Baghdad hotel. :shrug:

It can't be true. Bush must of made it up to gin up support for the war. This kind of brutality and cruelty just doesn't exist within man and AQ.

John Edwards said the war on terror is just a bumper sticker. Why would he mis-lead us like that? No, no, this is obviously just an urban legend.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/buyingguy/head.jpg

Logical
07-15-2007, 01:04 AM

Sorry but a second hand story has no more credibility just because it came from a reporter obtaining it in the field.

patteeu
07-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Sorry but a second hand story has no more credibility just because it came from a reporter obtaining it in the field.

I didn't mean to say that this particular story is either credible or incredible. I meant to say that a reporter in the field cuts out one of the middle men compared to the reporters who hang out in the green zone and hire locals to go out and collect stories for them. At least Yon is talking first-hand with the people who are living through the war outside the green zone.