PDA

View Full Version : NFBT... Kansas City School District Continues to Excel....

KCWolfman
04-26-2001, 06:15 PM
At failing.

First Elma Warrick and her cronies ride the 20th Superintendent in 30 years out of town. Next she sticks her foot in her mouth and refers to the lawmakers in Jefferson City as a "bunch of rural, rednecked, racist individuals." Then she LIES and states she never made the comment. Finally she pulls a Clinton and half-admits the lie by stating "And quite frankly, I did not remember using those words nor did I believe that I could have actually said them."

Kansas City, Your elected DEMOCRATIC school officials at work with your hard earned tax dollars. Congratulations on such a wise choice.

keg in kc
04-26-2001, 06:44 PM
If you're trying to spin this as an Anti-Democrat thread, it won't work very well since there are a number of Democrats from Kansas City opposed to the school board, including the two individuals who sponsored the bill to have the district taken over by the state. As for the members of the school board, let me just say this: idiocy is beyond all bounds of political partisanship, as can be seen in any number of either party's following...

In any event, this is one screwed-up school district with one screwed-up school board (I'm glad with a capital "G" that I don't have kids in school here), and the problems aren't going to be solved by putting in a puppet, which is basically what happened yesterday. Something needs to be done to get these morons out of office, and it needs to be done quickly. Hopefully the state legislature won't be bamboozled by this latest work of smoke and mirrors...

Anyway, that's my last post for a few days, so enjoy what I'm sure will be the bi-weekly board political struggle... ;)

splatbass
04-26-2001, 07:11 PM
Why is a moderator posting a non football message on this board?

splatbass
04-26-2001, 07:16 PM
Just curious....

old_geezer
04-26-2001, 07:28 PM
I'm an ex-school board member and proud of having served my school district (hopefully in a good way).

Out here in the boonies we are all pretty much in agreement that we are glad our kids don't have to go to school in the KC system. This is not a new problem; it seems to have been going on since Lincoln was President.

One thing you don't want is for the government to step in. Keep your school under local control. Keep Uncle Sam as far away from the education of your kids as possible. Of course, that's just my humble opinion. :D

KCWolfman
04-26-2001, 07:48 PM
SPlat - Because I can.

Geezer - What is funny is that Warrick has three grandchildren in the school district (she is only one of two members with family in the district). Two of them should be held back due to lack of attendance (they have already missed more than 30 days this year) and the other is failing 3 of her middle school classes.

Keg - Sorry, If Warrick were a genius - dems would be taking credit. There has not been a Rep school board member in over 20 years - the dems have the SOLE responsibility for the failure of the KC school district, period.

keg in kc
04-27-2001, 02:56 AM
the dems have the SOLE responsibility for the failure of the KC school district, period

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Republicans vote too? Weren't these idiots duly elected by the voters of the district...

Now if we could only duly remove them.

Okay, that was my one post of the day. ;)

KCWolfman
04-27-2001, 03:16 AM
Keg - Again, you are trying to shift a reality that cannot be shifted. Yes, many people vote. However, ALL constituents did not vote democrat. Your logic is flawed. I voted in the last 4 presidential elections, that does not mean that I am to blame for increased taxes, Whitewater, or the BJ's for Jobs Program held in the oval office.

The fact is that you have a failed school system, one that has failed for 20 years. And lo and behold, the system is democratically controlled the entire time.

Many times people have attempted to wrench control from the dems. In a last ditch effort it is being done by the state itself. The school has lost accredidation, 20 Superintendents, failed bussing programs, failed magnet schools, reduced number of schools, increased number of students. What is sad is that they have done all of the above as they received an annual increase in state and federal budgets EVERY single year of those 20 years.

The dems have wasted the youth of KC for over a generation, and merely so that they can continue their stranglehold.

Don't attempt to blame people who have seen the problem for decades merely because they are in the minority. Because frankly, when the children of the KC school district bring down the average testing ability for college exams, it will be the same liberals whining that we did not throw enough money at them in their primary education.

Phobia
04-27-2001, 03:42 AM
Splat,

many of the regulars on this board have "known" each other for years and value one another's opinions. Nearly any kind of topic (pg-13 & below) is fair game here. That's how this board came into existance. Just move past 'em if you don't wish to participate.

Welcome aboard!

Phil
"Moderator"

keg in kc
04-27-2001, 04:18 AM
I'm not trying to "shift" any reality, Wolfman. I have no agenda in the moronic Democrat/Republican "struggle" that is dragging down the entire nation.

The fact remains that, as you say, for 20 years the problem has continued. There's an old saying that I personally think carries a lot of weight in the world and that's "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". Where have the Republicans been for 20 years? Whis is this still a problem? If the Democrats are so inept (and they are) then why haven't the Republicans been able to oust them? Maybe if they spend a little more time being active in the community, listening to the voters and otherwise being constructive leaders instead of throwing political barbs and acting like kids fighting in the schoolyard shouting "I'm rubber, you're glue, bounces off me and sticks on you", this problem might not still exist. If people would honestly focus on what matters, the kids, then maybe something would be done, but all politicians seem to care about is, well, politics, and that's just a shame, IMHO.

Anyway, this is three posts today, and I'm really trying to cut back for the time being to get things done. Gotta run.

Lightning Rod
04-27-2001, 10:22 AM
It would take the Wisdom of Solomon right all the wrongs with the KCMO School district. It is truly a huge wart on the posterior of our community. I will make a suggestion. Split this monstrosity into several more manageable districts. Perhaps this will in some small way improve the responsiveness of the district. Unfortunately I believe this is more a reflection of the less affluent members of our society. For what ever reason many of the parents of these students do not demand more from the School District or from their children than they are presently giving. Money is not the answer. When judge whatís his name, (Clarke I think) overstepped his bounds and created the entire magnet school idea billions of dollars were poured into this district. State of the Art facilities were constructed. Test scores did not improve. I certainly donít have the answers but perhaps, carving up this monster would be a good first step.

KC Jones
04-27-2001, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by RCGChief
It would take the Wisdom of Solomon fix right all the wrongs with the KCMO School district. It is truly a huge wart on the posterior of our community. I will make a suggestion. Split this monstrosity into several more manageable districts. Perhaps this will in some small way improve the responsiveness of the district. Unfortunately I believe this is more a reflection of the less affluent members of our society. For what ever reason many of the parents of these students do not demand more from the School District or from their children than they are presently giving. Money is not the answer. When judge whatís his name, (Clarke I think) overstepped his bounds and created the entire magnet school idea billions of dollars were poured into this district. State of the Art facilities were constructed. Test scores did not improve. I certainly donít have the answers but perhaps, carving up this monster would be a good first step.

I like this idea. I can't even begin to know what all the problems are with our schools. As a recent parent, I didn't really pay much attention until my son was born last September. Today I'm mostly focused on which private school he should attend a few years down the road. However I'd like to do what I can to improve the public schools. Breaking up the district would at least allow the system to be a little more manageable.

BigOlChiefsfan
04-28-2001, 10:57 AM
KC's School board clusterflock and the $ 2 BILLION court ordered mess is the main reason why I purchased a house on the Kansas side when I moved back here from Texas. I love KCMO and would rather live over on the MO side of the line, but I simply refuse to throw my hard earned money into a bottomless taxpit. So long as the option exists to walk around said bottomless pit, I'd be foolish to jump into it.

Just think what that $2 BILLION could have done for the city if it hadn't been thrown down this rathole! With 2 billion, KCMO could at least fix a few potholes.

KCWolfman
04-28-2001, 11:02 AM
KEG - Read BOCFan's reply and you will see why the Reps don't take control. Other people one the two BB's who live in the KC area state the same - I will not live in the KC School district. I know I moved out of it before my children reached school age.