PDA

View Full Version : How sweet it is....

Joe Seahawk
04-26-2001, 08:12 PM
To sweep the yankees at New York.

The freakin Mariners are on FIRE!..

18-4 after tonight's sweep! The game actually is still in progress but I feel safe to call it a sweep going into the bottom of the eighth up 7-2 against our bullpen...It's over...

I dont know if there are any Mariner fans here, but, I'm pretty sure there are some Yankee haters....

GO M's

Joe Seahawk
04-26-2001, 08:16 PM
Who needs A-hole...oops I mean A-Rod

Nelson Muntz
04-26-2001, 09:17 PM
I hate the yankees, but I also hate the Mariners, cuz i'm an A's fan. But you sure can't argue with someone sweeping the yankees. I guess you just can't buy everything you want.

Joe Seahawk
04-26-2001, 09:31 PM
Slim, WTF is up with the A's? I know they will be there at the end...still 140 games to go...But Damn! they are digging quite a hole for themselves...very suprising..

KCWolfman
04-26-2001, 09:33 PM
Joe - Amazing how the loss of one of the best players of the decade makes you a better team. Good luck to SEA.

The only good thing about the yankees is that criminals still have a chance at a career as long as the team is around.

Joe Seahawk
04-26-2001, 09:41 PM
1998 lose Randy Johnson
1999 lose Ken Griffey jr
2000 lose A-Rod

The thing is I'm not sure we would be a better "TEAM" with those guys..

Pitt Gorilla
04-26-2001, 11:19 PM
Go Mariners and Twins!!
I'm a diehard Royals fan and always will be, however, I don't mind watching these teams succeed. Screw A-Rod and the Yanks!

Mile High Mania
04-27-2001, 06:45 AM
Stepping way out of my element, since I hate MLB... but, why all the fuss about A-Rod? There were teams willing to pay him the cash, so he took it.

Joe Seahawk
04-27-2001, 08:38 AM
I do not dislike A Rod, in fact he is probably one of my favorite all time ballplayers..

But, He is now the poster child for all that's wrong about MLB, again nothing personal..

The only thing A-Rod did that really ticked me off was when right after Boeing announced they were moving their headquarters, He sent them a letter trying to convince them to come to Dallas..

"I moved here to improve my future, so should you"

Why did he have to get involved in that?

The first trip back to Safeco a few weeks ago, it just happened to be Boeing employees night...LOL Needless to say, he was insanely bood..

KCTitus
04-27-2001, 08:44 AM
Joe: he may be and I think that's unfortunate. The true poster boy should be that moron who owns the Rangers and agreed to pay that.

What I find amazing is that these men who own these ballclubs are millionaires, but it never ceases to amaze me that they have absolutely no business sense when it comes to running their franchises.

This idiot paid more than twice what anyone else had offered. Now, arguably, the players union is so powerful that had Alex not received this obscene contract they would have sued and claimed collusion.

Baseball the sport is in a world of hurt. I wish someone would just put a bullet between the eyes of this sport and end it.

California Injun
04-27-2001, 08:54 AM
With regards to the "idiot" millionaires and their poor business decisions...

How many of you heard of Mark Cuban before this season?

What better way to stand out from the crowd of your millionaire peers than to purchase a high profile pro team?

Hell, we have an "idiot" President (i.e. Texas Rangers) as we speak using your criteria.

Outside of the O'Malleys (Dodgers family) none of these knuckleheads spend 100% of their time operating the clubs. One only has to look at what Rupert Murdoch has done to a great Dodger organization to see how Big Business can decimate a proud franchise.

What is depressing is that these boneheads will sell their teams, after years of mis-managment, to another buffoon and make a PROFIT?

Only in Amercia....

KCTitus
04-27-2001, 09:00 AM
Mark Cuban...the dot com guy that sold his broadcast.com at it's peak before the crash, right?

What franchise does he own?

I knew someone would bring Bush into this, and I dont want to go there, but it wasnt Bush that pulled this bonehead move with Alex, I mean...cmon...over 2 times more than any other offer he had received to date? The mets wouldnt even exceed 100M for the guy. That's redefines idiocy to new levels.

As far as selling franchies, baseball is considering shutting them down. A sure sign that baseball is headed the way of the dinosaurs.

California Injun
04-27-2001, 09:03 AM
Titus,

Cuban owns the Dallas Mavericks.

Bush was a reference in passing and not as slam. (Although he did fire Bobby Valentine which was pretty stupid).

Joe Seahawk
04-27-2001, 09:06 AM
Cuban owns the Dallas Mavericks..He keeps getting in trouble for arguing with the ref's on the floor...:)

Titus, I agree the Owner of the Rangers is the one that deserves the criticsm..A-Rod had no choice but to sign a contract like that..Like I said, I do like A-Rod, but unfortunately, he will take a lot of heat for being paid that ridicilous amount..'

KCTitus
04-27-2001, 09:30 AM
Saw Cuban on CNBC a few weeks ago talking about the Nasdaq and they kept talking about his new purchase with his sell off off of Broadcast.com to Yahoo, but they didnt go into specifics.

I think he's the only guy who made money off of the dot com craze of 99-00.

Dude has an ego that rivals the size of his bank account.

Joe: cant blame Alex, no way, if someone dangled something like that in front of me, damn skippy, I would be signing that contract too.

Joe Seahawk
04-27-2001, 09:36 AM
I invested in the Market back in Sept..:mad:

Bought Cisco at 73 bucks per :mad::mad:

Now it's at about 20...:eek:

KCTitus
04-27-2001, 09:38 AM
Cicsco will be back...however it may take a while.

They had a 2 Billion write off of inventory and their Q2 outlook is not good. The analysts have downgraded the stock and it's at it's low, but it will be back.

The have 80% market share on the market w/ no real competition.

Joe Seahawk
04-27-2001, 09:43 AM
It's a long term investment for me so I'm not too worked up over it...

However, It is concerning when you lose more on stocks(paper loss) then you earn working in the same period...

I was a year late..

ct
04-27-2001, 09:56 AM
My cubbies are leading the NL Cental!! And as of a couple days ago, had the lowest TEAM ERA in the Majors!!! That's unbelievable!

Isn't that the 8th sign of the apocalypse or something?

ChiTown
04-27-2001, 10:02 AM
Cory

I am already scheduled to go to 4 cubs games this year. They have caught lightning in a bottle, much like the Twinks. I hope they can maintain some level of winning consistency, especially during their tradition swoon months of June and July.

Wrigley is one of the best venues to watch a game, but has some of the poorest amenities of any stadium other than the old Comiskey Park (goat ranch).

Good to know there are other Cubbie fans on this board.

ChiTown
~It might be, it could be........I miss Harry

ct
04-27-2001, 10:34 AM
Here Here ChiTown!! Wrigley is the best ballpark in the land. Really to bad a few drunk punks have tarnished the image of Wrigleyville. I have never been to Fenway, but I'd guess the atmosphere is similar.

It's more than going to a game, as Wrigley is just not the same as your usual venues, with huge plots of real estate for parking and highways, etc. It is just an unreal experience EVERY SINGLE TIME I go!!

What's really sad, is I began a boycott last year. Wasn't until Lynch resigned that I came back. But I started back up this off-season when I was seeing nothing done to improve the team. The pitching in particular I was frightened to see in action. Go figure.
Obviously I was dead wrong.

But now that they are doing so well, I can't bring myself to start watching. May jinx the great start, ya know?

ct
enjoying our success while it lasts...from afar

California Injun
04-29-2001, 10:39 PM
Being a Dodgers fan from way back....

I've always admired Steve Garvey!

I cannot for the life of me remember which team he went to after he left Chavez Ravine.

Can you Cubbie fans help me out?

PostalChief
04-29-2001, 11:49 PM
Injun,

I'm not a Cubs fan. But, if I remember correctly, Steve Garvey went to the SD Padres. I'm also pretty sure his last season was when they lost to the Detroit Tigers in the '84 World Series.

California Injun
04-30-2001, 08:30 AM
Postal,

Any idea who they beat in the National League to qualify for the World Series?

Did Steve Garvey hit any significant home runs to help out the Padres in that series?

ChiTown
04-30-2001, 09:57 AM
Injun

In the words of a great poet......

BLOW ME!

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2001, 10:22 AM
This is kind of a depressing post as I am a Giants fan and we have done nothing to make this team any better in the last year. Last year our pitching staff did about as well as they are ever going to. I can't believe they did nothing to get better in this area. We also lost Burks who was awesome last year. Pacbell park rocks though. I have never in a ballpark that is that nice. Got skybox tickets to last Thursdays game and they are just unbelievable. There is nothing that doesn't exceed your expectations except the team.

Oh well, my Lakers had a HUGE weekend.

PostalChief
04-30-2001, 10:28 AM
Injun,

ChiTowns beloved Cubbies were the team that San Diego beat in the '84 NLCS. Ironically, your boy Garvey hit a two run homer in the ninth inning to snap a 5-5 tie and send the series to the decisive 5th game.

Still trying to find his WS stats.

PostalChief
04-30-2001, 10:34 AM
Big Daddy,

I'm a Sacramento/KC/Omaha Kings fan from way back. Your boys are going down after we finish off the Suns.