PDA

View Full Version : Bush Aides See Failure in Fight With Al Qaeda in Pakistan

the Talking Can
07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Bush Aides See Failure in Fight With Al Qaeda in Pakistan

WASHINGTON, July 17 — President Bush’s top counterterrorism advisers acknowledged Tuesday that the strategy for fighting Osama bin Laden’s leadership of Al Qaeda in Pakistan had failed, as the White House released a grim new intelligence assessment that has forced the administration to consider more aggressive measures inside Pakistan.

Pakistan’s president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, in Turbat recently. His strategy in tribal areas has been criticized by President Bush’s advisers.

The intelligence report, the most formal assessment since the Sept. 11 attacks about the terrorist threat facing the United States, concludes that the United States is losing ground on a number of fronts in the fight against Al Qaeda, and describes the terrorist organization as having significantly strengthened over the past two years......

job well done (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/washington/18intel.html?ex=1342411200&en=88f5f1a45c8422d5&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss)

ChiefaRoo
07-18-2007, 05:35 PM
So we'll change the strategy and then change it again when they adapt to that one.

Direckshun
07-18-2007, 06:50 PM
So we'll change the strategy and then change it again when they adapt to that one.
You're right, we shouldn't be disappointed at all and in no way does this hint at a complete policy failure that's indicative of larger problems with this administration.

stevieray
07-18-2007, 07:03 PM
You're right, we shouldn't be disappointed at all and in no way does this hint at a complete policy failure that's indicative of larger problems with this administration.

:rolleyes:

wazu
07-18-2007, 10:53 PM
I actually find this article encouraging. To hell with the past, and the fact that it took them so long to figure this out. If they go in and finish off the Pakistan Al Qaeda, they will finally be able to point to a truly meaningful accomplishment.

ChiefaRoo
07-18-2007, 11:14 PM

We already killed the shit out of them in Tora Bora in 2002. It's taken them 5 years to get re-organized. Now we'll go in and smoke them again with the Pakis. What's the problem? The AQ organization are like bugs you just have got to keep spraying.

Direckshun
07-18-2007, 11:21 PM
We already killed the shit out of them in Tora Bora in 2002. It's taken them 5 years to get re-organized. Now we'll go in and smoke them again with the Pakis. What's the problem? The AQ organization are like bugs you just have got to keep spraying.
So let's just start a war every 5 years. Sound good to you?

ChiefaRoo
07-18-2007, 11:31 PM
So let's just start a war every 5 years. Sound good to you?

That's how you fight an asymetric war Mr. Wizard. It would be nice if they'd line up their guys against our guys for a winner take all battle complete with a surrender signing on the flight deck of the USS Ronald Reagan but they won't do it so this is how its done you boob. Now get off my internet!

Ugly Duck
07-19-2007, 04:59 AM
We already killed the shit out of them in Tora Bora in 2002.

Oh, you mean the time we had Afghan warlords go after Bin Hidin instead of killing him, the warlords that helped him escape instead?

"the decorated career CIA officer criticizes Donald Rumsfeld's Defense Department for not providing enough support to the CIA and the Pentagon's own Special Forces teams in the final hours of Tora Bora, says Berntsen's lawyer, Roy Krieger.... That backs up other recent accounts, including that of military author Sean Naylor, who calls Tora Bora a "strategic disaster" because the Pentagon refused to deploy a cordon of conventional forces to cut off escaping Qaeda and Taliban members. Maj. Todd Vician, a Defense Department spokesman, says the problem at Tora Bora "was not necessarily just the number of troops."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8853000/site/newsweek/

Braincase
07-19-2007, 05:46 AM
Like somebody once said, "We've got all the watches, and they've got all the time".

KC-TBB
07-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Like somebody once said, "We've got all the watches, and they've got all the time".

OR we have all the vacuums and they suck! ROFL

patteeu
07-20-2007, 06:06 AM
First of all, the failure here is not so much a Bush administration failure as it is a failure of Pakistan's government to adequately handle the problem. As Chiefaroo says, all we have to do is change the strategy until we succeed.

Secondly, it's funny how many of the same people who were such vocal whiners about the Bush administration's perceived "go it alone" approach to foreign policy are now vocally whining about the Bush administration's choice to work with Pakistan instead of unilaterally violating Pakistan's sovereignty by taking matters into our own hands and invading the nuclear power.

Baby Lee
07-20-2007, 09:20 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20070720/a_giuliani20.art.htm

go bowe
07-20-2007, 10:02 PM
So we'll change the strategy and then change it again when they adapt to that one.what's this?

what happened to stay the course? LMAO LMAO LMAO

ChiefaRoo
07-20-2007, 11:15 PM
what's this?

what happened to stay the course? LMAO LMAO LMAO

Everytime I read this board I realize how ignorant or plain stupid some of you people are. Listen genius, the tactics can change but the dedication to the goal of eliminating Islamo fascist types and protecting the US doesn't. People seem to think this war is some sort of Red light Green light operation where we either stop fighting or we keep doing everything the same way. Say it over and over to yourself there short bus - "The goal remains the tactics change, this is an asymmetric war." I know you probably will have to look up the meaning of asymmetric but that's ok click your little mouse on your browser search and type it in and learn. What a dope.

Logical
07-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Everytime I read this board I realize how ignorant or plain stupid some of you people are. Listen genius, the tactics can change but the dedication to the goal of eliminating Islamo fascist types and protecting the US doesn't. People seem to think this war is some sort of Red light Green light operation where we either stop fighting or we keep doing everything the same way. Say it over and over to yourself there short bus - "The goal remains the tactics change, this is an asymmetric war." I know you probably will have to look up the meaning of asymmetric but that's ok click your little mouse on your browser search and type it in and learn. What a dope.

I love how you judge, John an Ivy league lawyer likes to pull the wool over the eyes of sheep like you and you walk right in and plop down as a person easily taken in by his aw shucks posting style.

ChiefaRoo
07-21-2007, 12:19 AM
I love how you judge, John an Ivy league lawyer likes to pull the wool over the eyes of sheep like you and you walk right in and plop down as a person easily taken in by his aw shucks posting style.

Log. Please re-write your sentence and this time make it make sense so I can understand WTF you are saying.

Logical
07-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Log. Please re-write your sentence and this time make it make sense so I can understand WTF you are saying.Nothing wrong with that sentence. Sorry it is too complex for you.

go bowe
07-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Everytime I read this board I realize how ignorant or plain stupid some of you people are. Listen genius, the tactics can change but the dedication to the goal of eliminating Islamo fascist types and protecting the US doesn't. People seem to think this war is some sort of Red light Green light operation where we either stop fighting or we keep doing everything the same way. there short bus - "The goal remains the tactics change, this is an asymmetric war." I know you probably will have to look up the meaning of asymmetric but that's ok click your little mouse on your browser search and type it in and learn. What a dope.i say again...

stay the course, stay the course, stay the course...

"Say it over and over to yourself"...

stay the course, stay the course, stay the motherf#ckin' course...

btw, it's really generous of you to bring your vast intellect to our poor little board and share your gems of wisdom with us "ignorant or plain stupid" folks...

thank you...

really, no kidding, thank you very much, oh dear leader...

go bowe
07-21-2007, 12:47 AM
Nothing wrong with that sentence. Sorry it is too complex for you.lol, really...

one of those glad-there-is-no-coke-in-my-mouth kinda snorts, then bursting into laughter things...

too complex? :shrug:

you may be right about that... PBJ PBJ PBJ

patteeu
07-21-2007, 07:19 AM

go bo is a good guy and I have no doubt that he's smarter than most of us here, but I have to say that I can understand Chiefaroo's frustration with that particular comment. I don't know if go bo was joking when he said it or not (I assume he was), but there's no doubt that there are some folks around here who really believe that "stay the course" means sticking with a rigid, unchanging plan no matter what the results and no matter how our enemies change their tactics. Of course, that's never been what it meant as I (and others) have explained on several occasions here. People who still believe otherwise deserve the kind of dressing down that chiefaroo gave go bo. In this case, I'm sure it was a failure to recognize go bo's post as a TIC joke, but there are several people around here who deserve to have chiefaroo's words directed at them.

Everytime I read this board I realize how ignorant or plain stupid some of you people are.

I couldn't agree more, even if I don't think go bo is one of them.

go bowe
07-21-2007, 06:43 PM
go bo is a good guy and I have no doubt that he's smarter than most of us here, but I have to say that I can understand Chiefaroo's frustration with that particular comment. I don't know if go bo was joking when he said it or not (I assume he was), but there's no doubt that there are some folks around here who really believe that "stay the course" means sticking with a rigid, unchanging plan no matter what the results and no matter how our enemies change their tactics. Of course, that's never been what it meant as I (and others) have explained on several occasions here. People who still believe otherwise deserve the kind of dressing down that chiefaroo gave go bo. In this case, I'm sure it was a failure to recognize go bo's post as a TIC joke, but there are several people around here who deserve to have chiefaroo's words directed at them.

I couldn't agree more, even if I don't think go bo is one of them.thanks for your support...

my use of stay the course is a form of needling, pouring salt, rubbing someone's face in it, etc.)...

sorta like my bush is da debbil posts...

as far as whether or not chiefaroo recognized my poor miserable attempt at humor, i'm sure the three laughing smilies at the end of my post couldn't possibly have given him the idea that i was kidding...

ChiefaRoo
07-21-2007, 06:54 PM

I couldn't agree more, even if I don't think go bo is one of them.

If he's joking or making some odd point then I take it back. It is frustrating to read dumb post after dumb post regarding the way we fight or the way people think we fight. It's obvious some want their political will to be instituted so badly that they are heavily invested in a US military defeat.

Baby Lee
07-21-2007, 06:55 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20070720/a_giuliani20.art.htm
In case people were too lazy to click. Giuliani differs from Bush in that he'd aim more resources on Pakistan.
Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani said Thursday that the United States should do more to capture Osama bin Laden and dismantle al-Qaeda operations in Afghanistan and northern Pakistan — even at the expense of an ally, Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf.
Thought some people might be interested, you may now return to go bo's happy ending. :p

ChiefaRoo
07-21-2007, 06:55 PM
thanks for your support...

my use of stay the course is a form of needling, pouring salt, rubbing someone's face in it, etc.)...

sorta like my bush is da debbil posts...

as far as whether or not chiefaroo recognized my poor miserable attempt at humor, i'm sure the three laughing smilies at the end of my post couldn't possibly have given him the idea that i was kidding...

Sorry the three smileys looked like three smiling Hilary Clintons to me and it made it even worse.

Baby Lee
07-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry the three smileys looked like three smiling Hilary Clintons to me and it made it even worse.
CP has a cankles smiley?!?!