PDA

View Full Version : Three BIG "If"s: 1. Green, 2. Holmes, & 3. CB's

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2001, 02:34 PM
These three "IF"s happen, and we will be HOSTING a playoff game next year (it may be a Wild-Card game, but I'll take it!)

1. Can Trent Green STAY healthy; and if he does, can he get rid of the ball? ... avoiding his career average of 1 sack/10 passes?

IF he can, the Chiefs will be improved at the QB position. (I think he will be able to; our O-line will be better, AND we should have a threat in the backfield to take some of the pressure off)

2. Can Priest Holmes develop into the shadow of Marshall Faulk? With T-Rich in the same backfield, he would only need 1100 yds rushing AND 500 yds receiving and I would say he would have accomplished that.

IF he can, the Chiefs will have had their first real threat out of the backfield since Marcus Allen. (I think he can...)

3. Can Warfield, Dennis, Bartee, and Crockett stop the wide-recievers of opposing offenses? (Can we add a veteran FA pick-up Carl, PLEEEASSSEEE!)

IF they can, and in doing so, give the D-Line a chance to get to the QB, we will be respectable defensively. (I'm not so sure about this one...LOL)

IMHO, IF these three things happen, the team will have made some tremendous strides in a relatively short time.

I guess we will see.

Wrasse
04-27-2001, 02:59 PM
I'm a "glass is half-full" kinda guy but I don't see #3 working out for us. I think we've actually gone down in this department (may be obvious). I miss Hasty! I loved the way he played the game but I know he will NOT be back. Crockett is so not Hasty and we're in trouble unless we pick someone else up out of FA.

*Not impressed by Warfield or Bartee*

HC_Chief
04-27-2001, 03:02 PM
<i>avoiding his career average of 1 sack/10 passes?
</i>

I find this average acceptable - as long as he retains his 1 TD to every 9 completions average from a year ago! ;)

voyager
04-27-2001, 07:07 PM
I'm not worried about Green and Holmes, but I am worried about the CB situation. Maybe Dennis, Bartee, and Warfield can get the job done. Training camp and preseason will tell the story. Crockett was a bad pickup IMO. The Chiefs could have drafted a CB in round 3 for more competition in training camp but didn't for some reason. It is hard to get a good veteran FA CB this time of the year. We will just have to hope our young CBs can come through in 2001.

I think Green will do a good job, and I think Holmes will get 1000 yds. rushing and 400 yds. receiving in 2001.

milkman
04-27-2001, 09:47 PM
I'm more inclined to believe that Dennis and Bartee are fully capable of handling the CB spots now that they'll be allowed to play the type of coverage that they were drafted for.
I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. The rare times that Dennis and Bartee were allowed to play tight coverage, they acquitted themselves very well.

On the other hand, I'm not confident that Holmes is going to be the player that everyone hopes he is. I question wether he has the endurance and stamina to perform at the same level in the latter part of the season that he may start out the season at.

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2001, 11:41 AM
I feel a little better, because what you say was apparently evident during the mini-camp this past weekend...

Hopefully, the guys we have will be up to the challenge.

htismaqe
04-30-2001, 12:08 PM
Milkman beat me to it.

Dennis and Bartee are big and physical. Therefore it seems logical that the stooges lined them up in a...soft zone? :rolleyes:

Seriously, these guys were built for bump and run coverage. In-your-face is the way they should be used, and I have faith that GR will use them that way.

I think they'll be just fine...in fact, I hope they are, because I for one was tired of Hasty. The though of Bartee and Dennis back there for 5-6 years or more gives me goose bumps...

ThaChop
04-30-2001, 12:35 PM
Bartee and Dennis were drafted with certain physical attributes in mind. Bartee is a talented athlete, and both he and Dennis are big guys. I thought Wesley, Bartee and Dennis showed a lot of promise, especially Wesley. I really feel the sky is the limit with Wesley.

I'm not worried about Holmes or Green. Okay, maybe the knee thing bothers me a bit, but I think our talented line will protect Green much better than what he's been accustomed to in the past. Priest Holmes is a worker, period. He's got great character about him. Being a young guy, and a single parent to a six year old boy, he has his priority list squared away. Him and Richardson, another super person, should give real stability to a backfield that truly needs it. IMHO

duncan_idaho
04-30-2001, 01:36 PM
I agree with #1 and #2 also... like eveyone else, my question is whether Bartee and Dennis or Warfield can step up... we don't need Hasty/Carter level play with the defensive line we have, just better than last year.

I think Warfield will finally live up to his immense potential...

If all these things happen, we are probably looking at an Arrowhead-hosted play-off game! :)

Wrasse
04-30-2001, 01:57 PM
Some of the comments here do get me riled up for the season and I do agree that we weren't playing these guys properly to take advantage of their potential (or size really).

The thing that shocks me is that we're actually (or maybe I'm just ignorant) building a team with a little more character than I'm used to...you mean we have players with their priorities squared away? We have a QB who wants to get to know players and has a personality? (and not the IQ of a carrot) You mean to tell me we are developing some younger talent? (OK...I know we've taken some chances and developed some players...but it's nice to hear about others)

I like it but it's something that I have to get used to :)

Warfield is still my biggest concern :( (I still have some vivid images of him getting burned...I know, the coverage but...) But I do think Bartee has a shot...and I can't wait to see us get physical with receivers and kick some *** up front.

aturnis
04-30-2001, 11:48 PM
I personally think the backs we have can do what they had been drafted to do, they have my backing. Trent is in my opinion...."A Golden God" he is our savior..."La Havana", Holmes will definetaly help out backfield out alot, with him and T-Rich, I think we are set.

Devin Vierth
05-01-2001, 06:37 AM
I'm hoping that the reason Warfield did not perform up to his potential last year is due to his back injury. According to Warfield it was serious enough that his doctor said that he shouldn't have played.

Warfield says that he is back 100% healthy this year so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2001, 04:43 PM
Green will comand this offense to great success, I have no doubt of that.He reads quicker and has better accuracy than the infamous EG.

Holmes I'm unsure about, he could be the RB that could be a boom or bust. Blaylock intrigues me, with a Holmes/Blaylock combo good things could happen.

CB's are fine, Bartee and Dennis will mature in a system that won't cite the bumblings of Kurt Schottenhiemer.

Mark M
05-02-2001, 06:34 AM
1. My big worry about Green is the knee. Four operations in two years is not a good sign. He's got the arm and knows the offense, though, so as long the knee heals and he doesn't get mauled, we should be all good.

2. My big questions with Holmes are:
a. Blocking. With the O running many 4 WR, 1 RB sets, it's going to be imperative that he is able to read the blitz and thwart any defenders attempt to mame the golden child (Green). This is why I like TRich ... he's a devastating blocker and reads the blitz well. D's will be palying a lot of nickel and dime packages agains us, and will be sending in corners and LBs to try to get to Green. I'm interested to see what happens.

b. Carryability. Okay, that's not a word. But I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that part of what got Holmes in Billicks doghouse was his penchant to put the ball on the turf. If he turns out to be fumblefingers, then we got screwed in this deal.

These are two aspects of a RBs game that are overlooked, IMO.

3. This, like most other folks, is what worries me. I'm not sold on anyone in the secondary other than Woods, and that included Crockett. He's just a slower, less talented Hasty. We will find out quickly how they respond. One would think that going up against DA, Horne and SlyMo in practive will help, however. Time will tell.

MM
~~Excited, yet worried, about the upcoming season.

milkman
05-02-2001, 07:06 AM
Mark,
Holmes' blocking ability is part of the reason that VD wanted him.
I guess I stand virtually alone in my confidence in Bartee and Dennis. I truley believe that they are going to excel in man coverage. They handled it extremely well everytime they were allowed to play tough man, bump and run last season. The Jellyfish Stooge and Limp Willie should have been tarred and feathered for their defensive schemes last season.

ChiefGator
05-02-2001, 07:13 AM
Mark M, you aren't alone. I think someone is going to step up big in our secondary. Warfield, Dennis, or Bartee.. one of them should end up being good. I would leave Warfield out of my high hopes, except for the injury he played with all last year which is getting much press lately. I am willing to give him a chance starting, but I definitely think Dennis and Bartee both looked good when they were in a position to make plays. As good as you could expect rookies to look anyway. The scheme was terrible. Don't let anyone get behind you, so always give a 10-15yard cushion. The teams that put up huge numbers against us (like the Raiders) did is mostly with running the ball and short passes in the 5 yard range, which end up rumbling for more. If we get our DB's to play up close to the ball, they will be in position to make these plays as well. Wesley looked great (of course he made a few coverage mistakes, like a rookie) and I expect him and Woods to work better together in the secondary this year. If we can put more faith in them, we could get our CB's to come up to the line a little bit more. I am hoping GRobinson makes good on his promise to be play a more aggressive D.

Mark

ChiefGator
05-02-2001, 07:14 AM
::cough:: Er... Milkman, you're not alone...

Mark :)

milkman
05-02-2001, 07:28 AM
I'll tell ya, from my perspective, Dennis and Bartee showed signs of frustration in their play in the latter part of last season. They were drafted by the Chiefs because of their size and athleticism, then put into soft zones and lined up 7-10 yards off the line, where their physical attributes were wasted, and they knew it.

Hell, the Chiefs could have put Mighty Mouse and Wasawa Serwanga out there and achieved the same level of success.

Mark M
05-02-2001, 07:33 AM
milk--
Thanks for the info. Not having watched many (actually, any except vs. the Chiefs and Raiders) Ravens games the last few years, I wasn't sure. Good to know.

MM
~~Appreciates the help.