PDA

View Full Version : Judge Tosses Plame's Lawsuit

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2007, 01:23 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/19/AR2007071901395_pf.html

Valerie Plame's Lawsuit Dismissed

By MATT APUZZO
The Associated Press
Thursday, July 19, 2007; 3:16 PM

WASHINGTON -- A federal judge on Thursday dismissed former CIA operative Valerie Plame's lawsuit against members of the Bush administration in the CIA leak scandal.

Plame, the wife of former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, had accused Vice President Dick Cheney and others of conspiring to leak her identity in 2003. Plame said that violated her privacy rights and was illegal retribution for her husband's criticism of the administration.

U.S. District Judge John D. Bates dismissed the case on jurisdictional grounds and said he would not express an opinion on the constitutional arguments. Bates dismissed the case against all defendants: Cheney, White House political adviser Karl Rove, former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby and former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage.

Plame's attorneys had said the lawsuit would be an uphill battle. Public officials are normally immune from such lawsuits filed in connection with their jobs.

Plame's identity was revealed in a syndicated newspaper column in 2003, shortly after Wilson began criticizing the administration's march to war in Iraq. Plame believes the leak was retribution and that it violated their constitutional rights.

Armitage and Rove were the sources for that article, which touched off a lengthy leak investigation. Nobody was charged with leaking but Libby was convicted of lying and obstruction the investigation. Bush commuted Libby's 2 1/2-year prison term before the former aide served any time.

A message seeking comment was left with Plame's attorney, Erwin Chemerinsky.

FD
07-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I was always under the impression that this suit getting tossed was a foregone conclusion as it was just a publicity stunt, so I cant say I'm too surprised.

Baby Lee
07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Ahhh, Erwin - the Duke to Wash-U law school enrollee pipeline. 5 1Ls in my class alone said they were there on Erwin's advice.

Bootlegged
07-19-2007, 02:23 PM
I'd bang her.

stevieray
07-19-2007, 03:04 PM
shocking!

just another reason why the left circle jerk here has been reduced to petty slander.

"I don't like him...boohoohoohoo"

Logical
07-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Not sure what the victory celebration in here is about, no one expected this lawsuit to go anywhere, not even the liberals.

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Not sure what the victory celebration in here is about, no one expected this lawsuit to go anywhere, not even the liberals.

Victory celebration? WTF are you talking about? :spock:

With your idea of a party/celebration....you must be a pretty boring guy. ;)

It's more of an "I told you so" kind of thing, FTR.

Taco John
07-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Told who so? Libby was convicted of obstruction of justice.

mlyonsd
07-19-2007, 07:10 PM
The sad thing is the original article doesn't touch the real basis for Bates's decision....

"The alleged means by which defendants chose to rebut Mr. Wilson's comments and attack his credibility may have been highly unsavory, " Bates wrote. "But there can be no serious dispute that the act of rebutting public criticism, such as that levied by Mr. Wilson against the Bush administration's handling of prewar foreign intelligence, by speaking with members of the press is within the scope of defendants' duties as high-level Executive Branch officials."

Plame should have been fired for allowing her husband to be part of this entire fiasco or at least been assigned to clean the toiliets at Gitmo.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290021,00.html

go bowe
07-19-2007, 08:04 PM
The sad thing is the original article doesn't touch the real basis for Bates's decision....

Plame should have been fired for allowing her husband to be part of this entire fiasco or at least been assigned to clean the toiliets at Gitmo.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290021,00.html cleaning toilets at gitmo?

i didn't know that they let enemy combatants use toilets...

Logical
07-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Victory celebration? WTF are you talking about? :spock:

With your idea of a party/celebration....you must be a pretty boring guy. ;)

It's more of an "I told you so" kind of thing, FTR.

Alright if this is an I told you so, I would like you to post a link to who thought this trial was going to be a success for Plame?

Pitt Gorilla
07-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Alright if this is an I told you so, I would like you to post a link to who thought this trial was going to be a success for Plame?Good point, but you should probably just let him feel good about himself for a few minutes.

Radar Chief
07-20-2007, 06:41 AM
I'd bang her.

I've done worse.

Radar Chief
07-20-2007, 06:43 AM
cleaning toilets at gitmo?

i didn't know that they let enemy combatants use toilets...

Only for flushing their Koran.