PDA

View Full Version : Senator Robert Byrd wouldn't mind seeing Vick executed

Fishpicker
07-20-2007, 02:07 PM
from FOX (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290061,00.html?=vick)

RICHMOND, Va. The Michael Vick dogfighting case made its way to the floor of the U.S. Senate Thursday when its most senior member publicly declared his outrage, saying he's witnessed one execution but wouldn't mind seeing another "if it involves this cruel, sadistic, cannibalistic business of training innocent, vulnerable creatures to kill."

The strong words from Sen. Robert Byrd, D-WV, widely known for his devotion to animals, come as dogfighting controversy swirls around the Atlanta Falcons star quarterback. Vick and three others were indicted earlier this week on felony charges of competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting, and conducting the enterprise across state lines.

The dogs were housed, trained and fought at a property owned by Vick in Surry County, Va., under an outfit named "Bad Newz Kennels," the indictment says.

Among the grisly findings: Losing dogs either died in the pit or were electrocuted, drowned, hanged or shot. The indictment said purses climbed as high as $20,000 for fights.

Byrd called the activities described in the Vick case "sadistic" and "barbaric." At one point, Byrd began shouting and pumping his fist.

"Barbaric!," he yelled. "Let that word resounding from hill to hill, and from mountain to mountain, and valley to valley across the broad land. Barbaric! Barbaric! May God help those poor souls who'd be so cruel. Barbaric! Hear me! Barbaric!"

Byrd, 89, said he would not prejudge the men's guilt or innocence, but he left no doubts about his sentiments.

"I am confident that the hottest places in hell are reserved for the souls of sick and brutal people who hold God's creatures in such brutal and cruel contempt," he said.

"One is left wondering," he said. "Who are the real animals: the creatures inside or outside the ring?"

Meanwhile, the Falcons owner and CEO released his first public statement on the matter Thursday, saying he was "working diligently on exploring our options" on the indicted quarterback.

"This situation affects everyone our club, our players and associates, our sponsors, our fans and the Atlanta community among them so we must consider all of our customers in making any decisions," Arthur Blank said in a statement. "Given the differing perspectives and strong feelings around this issue, we probably won't make everyone happy, but we are committed to doing the right thing."

Blank added that he was "saddened and distressed about this not for myself, for our fans and community who have been so loyal to us."

ESPN reported that Vick had called Blank, and said sources believed Vick to have been contrite, apologetic and grateful for Blank's support.

Vick's legal troubles prompted Nike to suspend the release of its latest product line named after him.

Nike told retailers it will not release a fifth signature shoe, the Air Zoom Vick V, this summer. Nike spokesman Dean Stoyer said the four shoe products and three shirts that currently bear Vick's name will remain in stores.

That news comes on the heels of a statement from the Humane Society of the United States calling upon Nike to pull its Vick clothing and shoes from retailers and from its Web site. It also called upon NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend Vick.

Vick and the three associates are set to appear in Richmond July 26 for bond hearings and arraignments on charges contained in a detailed, 18-page indictment. Conviction carries up to six years in prison, fines of $350,000 and restitution.

But after the hearing, Vick will likely rejoin the Falcons as he awaits his court date. After consulting with the Falcons, Goodell and top league officials agreed Wednesday to let Vick play as the legal process determines the facts.
------------------------------------------------------------------

A dog is not equal to a man, I would even argue that a hundred dogs' lives are not worth one human life. This is just way over the top.

Vick will probably be ruined from this and rightfully so. I just dont think torturing/killing animals should demand a penalty that is harsher than torturing/killing humans.

Chief Henry
07-20-2007, 02:27 PM
How old is Senator Byrd, 156 or something like that.

Vick is toast.

Adept Havelock
07-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Huh...for once in my life I'm inclined to agree with the Byrdbrained congresscritter.

I don't think Vick should be formally executed. Just subjected to the same treatment he gave dogs that wouldn't fight. If he survives, maybe he'll learn to show some fighting spirit. ;)

Cochise
07-20-2007, 03:18 PM
"Sheets" Byrd sounds like he's a bit foggy in his advanced age. I mean, no one is backing Vick here, but jeez. That reads like he was off his medication and on some oddball demented rant.

Fishpicker
07-20-2007, 03:19 PM
maybe they should force him to fight a pitbull barehanded. not even an elite athlete like Vick could handle a bred fighter.

BCD
07-20-2007, 03:24 PM
I don't think he should be executed, but he should serve a few years. Plus, a permanent ban from the NFL, and he should have to pay back most of any bonuses the Falcons gave him. Let him go play in Canada...

Fish
07-20-2007, 03:50 PM
saying he's witnessed one execution but wouldn't mind seeing another "if it involves this cruel, sadistic, cannibalistic business of training innocent, vulnerable creatures to kill."

Training innocent, vulnerable creatures to kill? Like... the military?

:)

Ultra Peanut
07-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Who let that black man own property? This is disgusting!

Calcountry
07-20-2007, 06:21 PM
There goes that "White N***r" stirring up shit again.

Calcountry
07-20-2007, 06:24 PM
How old is Senator Byrd, 156 or something like that.

Vick is toast.Byrd, is the last, and I mean LAST person to be bitichg about Vick. It actually helps Vick's case for Byrd to be carring on like that. Robert KKK "white N***r" Byrd, attacking a Black man who hasn't received his due process yet. Heck, why doesn't Byrd just start doing the hippie parkinson's shake and say that back in my day we would get a rope.

This is your Democrat leader

Logical
07-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Vick being executed over this is ridiculous hyperbole. Yes it was barbaric but come on they were just dogs.

Logical
07-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Byrd, is the last, and I mean LAST person to be bitichg about Vick. It actually helps Vick's case for Byrd to be carring on like that. Robert KKK "white N***r" Byrd, attacking a Black man who hasn't received his due process yet. Heck, why doesn't Byrd just start doing the hippie parkinson's shake and say that back in my day we would get a rope.

This is your Democrat leaderI agree with most of the concept of what you are saying, but has not been a Democratic leader in years.

SBK
07-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Haha, I bet Byrd would love to be the one doing the lynching--er I mean killing.

Adept Havelock
07-20-2007, 08:48 PM
maybe they should force him to fight a pitbull barehanded. not even an elite athlete like Vick could handle a bred fighter.

An excellent notion. ROFL

Make it Pay-Per-View and donate the proceeds to the Retired NFL players.

Calcountry
07-21-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree with most of the concept of what you are saying, but has not been a Democratic leader in years.He is the President Pro tem of the Senate, Third in line in the order of succession to be president after the VP and Speaker of the House.

Which means, that he would probably keel over the minute he took the oath, and the Secretary of state would then be the man, er, woman.

Calcountry
07-21-2007, 12:08 PM
maybe they should force him to fight a pitbull barehanded. not even an elite athlete like Vick could handle a bred fighter.Maybe that is why he is so talented at scrambling away from pass rushes.

Fishpicker
07-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Maybe that is why he is so talented at scrambling away from pass rushes.

he's been training dogs and training with dogs I suppose. y'know, that is almost sensical.

kstater
07-21-2007, 12:36 PM
So did Mr. Byrd introduce legislation on this matter? And if he didn't, why did he waste taxpayer's money discussing it?

Adept Havelock
07-21-2007, 01:04 PM
So did Mr. Byrd introduce legislation on this matter? And if he didn't, why did he waste taxpayer's money discussing it?

Are you new? It's simple. He's a politician. :doh!:

Fishpicker
07-21-2007, 01:08 PM
a politician with a long history of this sort of thing.

Calcountry
07-21-2007, 05:49 PM
he's been training dogs and training with dogs I suppose. y'know, that is almost sensical.Only instead of carrying a football, he carries a soup bone.

Calcountry
07-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Are you new? It's simple. He's a politician. :doh!:ROFL