PDA

View Full Version : NFBT: Are any of you Salaried professionals?

Multi1
04-27-2001, 11:25 PM
If so, does your employer demand that you work as many hours to do the job as it takes and expect no compensation what-so-ever?

I just worked Good Friday (and Saturday) with no pay and/or allowances and was read the riot act because I needed to take a day of vacation to visit the faculty of my son's school.

Is this the norm around the country, or is my employer violating every labor relation law around?

A little help here, please.

LapDog
04-27-2001, 11:32 PM
Hi Tom.

Neither. My understanding is that salaried personnel don't have the same legal rights as hourly personnel. The salary covers whatever is required of them to do.

However, most employers aren't unreasonable about this because everybody would leave. It seems pretty common in the IT industry (here in KC) to require people to work as many hours as necessary when a 'situation' arises. Usually, a company/boss will give people comp days or just let them leave early a few times, to compensate for the extra work at crunch time.

At least one local company is known to require 45 hrs a week, so most people don't want to work there.

My own take is that if they are unreasonable, scr3w'em and find a different job.

KCJohnny
04-27-2001, 11:38 PM
Tom,
Sounds like your employer is too obsesswed with the bottom line.
Is ANY job worth that?
Sometimes less $ and more peace of mind is a better arrangement.
I work for you (I'm in the US Army) and I get no bonuses or boons. My boons are directly related to how much time I have off, so I understand your plight.

KCJ

oleman47
04-28-2001, 12:24 AM
I worked most of my life on my own, but did spend a five years as salaried employee who was told not to do overtime. That I could not even work overtime if I said I did not want to be paid for it, just wanted to complete the project. Sometimes on a computer project as you know you are on a roll, the factors are there and you see the picture and need to get it down. Just before a three day weekend. It is never the same after the weekend.

On the other side we have employers who are circumventing the law but it is too expensive for the employee to fight it. This practice could increase labor unions but I doubt the labor unions will make much heading in the technology field. Because it is too fluid, short term, hard to pin down. It is almost up to the employee to be a moth and flit from lamp to lamp hoping to find one that is not too hot.

Otter
04-28-2001, 12:34 AM
Tom,

I am also salaried and just happen to be at work right now. I came in at 3:00pm eastern time and about 10:45pm when I was getting ready to leave, some jerk off in Canada decided to IPL one of my AS/400s not realizing that his system is shared by 5 other 24/7 sites. Therefore, he took down not only his own operation but all the others as well. Iím waiting for it to come up right now.

Had to vent a little.

Anyway, from what little I know about your employer, it doesnít sound like they are going against the norm. You have to take into consideration how often they ask you to go beyond the call of duty and what they give you in return for when you do. When you took your job did they did they explain the possibility of OT to you? Are the people who ask you to work the extra hours there when you need their help? What kind of support do you have when you hit a wall in trying to fix the problem? Are you being held responsible for fixing other peoples problems? That kind of stuff.

There is no definite answer I could give other than to analyze the overall situation.

I was in a job before the one I have now that I was exclusively responsible for pretty much everything and would get $hit on every time I asked for help. I packed my bags and left for greener pastures.

The boss I have now, I could call at 2:00am and ask for a ride home from the bars because I had too much to drink if the need arises. Itís the best job I ever had in my life. But when the proverbial poop hits the fan I do have to be there to clean up be it Christmas Eve or my girlfriends birthday.

Bottom line: your employer is in their rights asking you to make sure your responsibilities are completed to make sure the overall operation runs smooth but make sure your work is appreciated.

If it were fun, they wouldnít call it work.

RJ
04-28-2001, 12:34 AM
I've been salaried or salaried/bonus and commission most of my working life. A boss I had many moons ago told me a wise thing. You work the job, not the hours. If you have to do a Saturday or a holiday, no big deal. But make sure you get it back on a week when things are good. What's good for the goose....

oleman47
04-28-2001, 12:42 AM
There is a real difference in maintaining a system than hamburgers. Technology jobs pay enough usually to compensate for unusual hours, but you cannot take a job which may require odd hours and not do it. But on the other hand if it is excessive, ie money is not the problem but getting enough time to live and sleep, then you must talk to the employer. Make sure you try to understand his problem before you present yours. A key point. If you don't then you are a whining employee presenting him or her with another alligator they just don't need at the moment and they will take it out on you.

oleman47
04-28-2001, 12:56 AM
Rereading what you wrote my last post could be the bridge. If you can try to find out your employers problem and help him solve it. Then solve your time problem. Make sure that if the problem is solved the company survives.

Or the the guy is an idiot and get another job. Just don't quit until you got the other job.

Do not do as I do but as I preach. What do I really know about your situation. Free advice is worth the price.

Mosbonian
04-28-2001, 04:28 PM
I have been salaried almost all of my working life and have an understanding with every employer that I have ever worked for. They are:

1) I will work as long as it takes to achieve any goal,no matter what time I finish, as long as they understand that I have a wife and kids who are more valuable to me than anything that they could provide me. When the former overtakes the latter, it is time to part ways without any hard feelings...

2) I am human and as such am susceptible to periods where my personal life must take precedence over any work issues. I expect understanding and a 'bye" during those periods without repercussions or fear of demotion due to divided loyalties. In return you get a tirelessly devoted person who works to achieve perfection at everything I do.

I have never had to "part ways" with any of my employers as they have understood that an employee that is not facing an unhappy spouse at home is a calm and focused employee.

mmaddog

TheFly
04-28-2001, 04:34 PM
Yes, I eat a lot of celery...

Multi1
04-28-2001, 06:34 PM
I've been away from home for over a month and a half. One trip for 30 days, one day off and working 14+ hours a day, no real support from the home office and nagged about problems not related to my job.

Who said being salaried was good?

Always looking for something better........

Warrior5
04-28-2001, 06:48 PM
Sounds like you're in the Army.

Multi1
04-28-2001, 10:01 PM
Warrior5,

I'm not a full timer, but I am in the service of our country. I am an EWCS(SW) in the Navy (Reserve side). I have 25 years of service and went around the world twice with the Navy, from Viet Nam to Desert Storm.

BTW, I was born in Leavenworth and spent my youth in Lansing (25 yards from the State Penn!). Left there to go answer a letter from Richard Nixon in late 1970.