PDA

View Full Version : Canadian dollar worth more than ours...

Fishpicker
07-24-2007, 10:14 PM
how do you feel about it?

this is a first for me. I was born in '76 and the US $ has been worth more up until now. At least there wont be alernate prices on book covers anymore. I think it's a shame that our dollar has lost so much value. I mean shame in the traditional sense, not just some unfortunate circumstance.

the Canadian dollar was worth 67 cents at it's low point. that must have been quite the economic resurgence that Canada experienced. Either that, or our Federal Reserve bank system is messed up.

Logical
07-24-2007, 10:21 PM
It couldn't possibly be because Canada has got their act together while we are facing massive debt being incurred year after year. Nope it is our flawed Federal Reserve System.:rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath58
07-24-2007, 10:22 PM
I've been to Canada 3 times.

In 1999, the CAD was worth .72 to USD

Last year, the CAD was worth .85 to USD

We were there last month. .99 to USD.

Canada used to be a great value for vacation. Now it's downright expensive.

Fishpicker
07-24-2007, 11:45 PM
It couldn't possibly be because Canada has got their act together while we are facing massive debt being incurred year after year. Nope it is our flawed Federal Reserve System.:rolleyes:

what is the difference between the US monetary policy & Canada's?
what is the difference between the US monetary policy & Mexico's?
what is the difference between the US monetary policy & South America's?

^ rhetorical questions.

what is the difference between the US monetary policy & Angola's
what is the difference between the US monetary policy & Iran's

^Answers
Angola (like most of Africa) cannot possibly saddle any more debt.
Iran doesnt want to do business with drug dealers

Saggysack
07-24-2007, 11:50 PM
You think that 30cent slide is bad. I remember when the Euro was .81, now it is 1.38. I remember when the pound was under 1.50, now it is 2.05.

Fishpicker
07-24-2007, 11:55 PM
You think that 30cent slide is bad. I remember when the Euro was .81, now it is 1.38. I remember when the pound was under 1.50, now it is 2.05.

tell me about it...

no really, assume I am an idiot, explain to me why that is bad. According to our current leadership: a weak dollar is good. A weak dolllar is beneficial to our manufacturing base. (we still have one of those, dont we?)

cdcox
07-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Damn, that is going to ruin a lot of Canadian currency jokes.

Fishpicker
07-25-2007, 12:01 AM

do you have any good ones? you might as well spend them; like they are going out of style.

Logical
07-25-2007, 12:33 AM
what is the difference between the US monetary policy & Canada's?
what is the difference between the US monetary policy & Mexico's?
what is the difference between the US monetary policy & South America's?

^ rhetorical questions.

what is the difference between the US monetary policy & Angola's
what is the difference between the US monetary policy & Iran's

^Answers
Angola (like most of Africa) cannot possibly saddle any more debt.
Iran doesnt want to do business with drug dealers

Honestly, what the hell are you trying to say?

wazu
07-25-2007, 12:36 AM

I second that. WTF?

Logical
07-25-2007, 12:39 AM

I assume you are being facetious and do know why it is good for our manufacturers.

Saggysack
07-25-2007, 12:46 AM
tell me about it...

no really, assume I am an idiot, explain to me why that is bad. According to our current leadership: a weak dollar is good. A weak dolllar is beneficial to our manufacturing base. (we still have one of those, dont we?)

In my very limited knowledge, a weak dollar has it's positives and negatives.

Outside investors tend to not invest in a weak dollar. The more strength the dollar shows the more investment it brings. Brings down the value of thier assets when calculating into their national currency.

Domestically, it does however bring exports way up. Which is evident in our record exports right now. However, goods from places like China, Hong Kong, Mexico, etc... all go up in price. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to pay more for cheap chinese goods than I already do now.

Saggysack
07-25-2007, 12:53 AM
I assume you are being facetious and do know why it is good for our manufacturers.

I'm not a manufacturer. I'm a consumer. For the most part, the negatives outweigh the positives for me.

wazu
07-25-2007, 12:56 AM
However, goods from places like China, Hong Kong, Mexico, etc... all go up in price. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to pay more for cheap chinese goods than I already do now.

This is the part that I have a hard time seeing the downside to. I'll be happy to see China's competitive advantage fade. All these other puny, wanna-be countries are small time. We are in direct competition with China. I hate that they buy our national debt and are on their way to beating us economically. Add to that a bizarre and constant Chinese military ramp-up, and I am glad to see anything that damages Chinese exports to the U.S.

Saggysack
07-25-2007, 02:27 AM
This is the part that I have a hard time seeing the downside to. I'll be happy to see China's competitive advantage fade. All these other puny, wanna-be countries are small time. We are in direct competition with China. I hate that they buy our national debt and are on their way to beating us economically. Add to that a bizarre and constant Chinese military ramp-up, and I am glad to see anything that damages Chinese exports to the U.S.

I don't have a hard time seeing the downside. I'm a consumer that can look around and see most of the products available for me to buy are "Made in Somewhere Else". Paying more for those items because the value of the dollar is lower is not what I consider a positive effect on my wallet. Buying only American goods is impracticable,... impossible, however you want to put it.

China and ramp-up of military is really a bad way of putting it IMO. They have decreased the number of their forces and began modernization about 10yrs ago. It really is no different than what we did with our military from the 80's into the late 90's.

Anyway, I'm a firm believer that a strong dollar always beats out a weak dollar.

Fishpicker
07-25-2007, 02:52 AM

Bank of Credit and Commerce International (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_Credit_and_Commerce_International)

the $20-billion heist

1 (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BCCI+clinton&btnG=Google+Search)
2 (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BCCI+bush&btnG=Search)
3 (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BCCI+hussein&btnG=Search)

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2007, 03:05 AM
I blame Clinton.

Damn, that is going to ruin a lot of Canadian currency jokes.Seriously. This is ****ing loony.

Cochise
07-25-2007, 06:48 AM
In my very limited knowledge, a weak dollar has it's positives and negatives.

Outside investors tend to not invest in a weak dollar. The more strength the dollar shows the more investment it brings. Brings down the value of thier assets when calculating into their national currency.

Domestically, it does however bring exports way up. Which is evident in our record exports right now. However, goods from places like China, Hong Kong, Mexico, etc... all go up in price. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to pay more for cheap chinese goods than I already do now.

China has been keeping their currency artificially depreciated for a while now to make their exports attractive. People complain about this, but I bet we'd hear some howling if they cut it out and everything at Wal-mart jumped in price by 20%

ChiefaRoo
07-25-2007, 09:06 AM
As Logical said the low dollar is good for US exports sold in dollars. The dollar will go up when the fed raises the interest rates due to inflation. Until then the rates will stay low and the dollar will stay low because money is cheap. I sit on both sides of this fence. Just buy the stuff you want from overseas in bulk at Wally World as the domestic stuff is a wash. Vacation in Puerto Rico instead of Canada and start a small business with the cheap money the banks have to offer. Eventually the economy is going to get so hot the fed will raise the rate or a Dem. will reach into our pockets and raise taxes. Then the dollar will go up. Until then take the offensive.

BucEyedPea
07-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Yet, it's the Federal Reserve that is monetarizing that debt via inflation.

Canada's economic star is rising. The silver lining is they may not want to be part of an economic union with the US and Mexico. That's a good thing, imo.

Calcountry
07-25-2007, 04:21 PM
International Economics 101.

A week dollar makes Foreign Tourists buying power go up. It makes our tourists buying power go down, a positive for our trade balance.

A week dollar, makes our goods relatively cheaper in foreign countries while at the same time, makes foreign produced goods more expensive in the U.S.

This would cause "the Wal-Mart"(South Park) to purchase relatively less goods from China, and relatively more from American manufacturers, perhaps even initiate new plants in the U.S.

BucEyedPea
07-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Misean Economics 101

Having a trade balance is overrated.

Calcountry
07-25-2007, 04:32 PM
As Logical said the low dollar is good for US exports sold in dollars. The dollar will go up when the fed raises the interest rates due to inflation. Until then the rates will stay low and the dollar will stay low because money is cheap. I sit on both sides of this fence. Just buy the stuff you want from overseas in bulk at Wally World as the domestic stuff is a wash. Vacation in Puerto Rico instead of Canada and start a small business with the cheap money the banks have to offer. Eventually the economy is going to get so hot the fed will raise the rate or a Dem. will reach into our pockets and raise taxes. Then the dollar will go up. Until then take the offensive.The cooling housing market, will offset this and keep a lid on interest rates.

Calcountry
07-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Misean Economics 101

Having a trade balance is overrated.I wasn't commenting one way or the other, in terms of my preference on balance of trade, merely stating a fact.

BucEyedPea
07-25-2007, 04:49 PM
I wasn't commenting one way or the other, in terms of my preference on balance of trade, merely stating a fact.
Ah! I see. Just adding my .02.

Btw, how's the bunnies?

Silock
07-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Am I missing something? The current exchange rate looks to be $1.00 US to $1.04 CAD. That still leaves the US dollar worth more.

Logical
07-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Bank of Credit and Commerce International (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_Credit_and_Commerce_International)

the $20-billion heist

1 (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BCCI+clinton&btnG=Google+Search)
2 (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BCCI+bush&btnG=Search)
3 (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BCCI+hussein&btnG=Search)You mind translating into a post. Not really interested in sorting through all those links right now. Afterall you can consider it my Birthday present.;)

Saggysack
07-26-2007, 01:47 AM
China has been keeping their currency artificially depreciated for a while now to make their exports attractive. People complain about this, but I bet we'd hear some howling if they cut it out and everything at Wal-mart jumped in price by 20%

Good point. Yes they have and yes it does. FWIW, I am glad they depreciate the value of the yuan. Their are some major quality issues coming out of China, do you we really need to pay more for crappy goods?

Saggysack
07-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Am I missing something? The current exchange rate looks to be $1.00 US to $1.04 CAD. That still leaves the US dollar worth more.

It's the direction it is going. 30% gain on the USD in 4yrs.

ChiefaRoo
07-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Good point. Yes they have and yes it does. FWIW, I am glad they depreciate the value of the yuan. Their are some major quality issues coming out of China, do you we really need to pay more for crappy goods?

My nephew who is six and weigh about 45lbs got an off road dirt bike made in china about 9 months ago. Both tires have had the side walls blown out of them and he doesn't even ride the thing very often. A lot of what is coming out of China is shitty or in some cases dangerous. It only looks like a good value but when an item craps out like a balsa wood airplane then the value you thought you got goes out the window.

BucEyedPea
07-26-2007, 06:30 PM
My nephew who is six and weigh about 45lbs got an off road dirt bike made in china about 9 months ago. Both tires have had the side walls blown out of them and he doesn't even ride the thing very often. A lot of what is coming out of China is shitty or in some cases dangerous. It only looks like a good value but when an item craps out like a balsa wood airplane then the value you thought you got goes out the window.
Yup! It's junk. 'Bout the only thing they're good for is children's clothes since they grow out of them rapidly. Even then, after one washing all the seems unravel or the dye runs out all over everything else in the washer. Dye has to be set by law in the US but not foreign suppliers. Now it looks like pet food isn't even safe. Glad I guy organic. But I have gotten sick on some Gautamelan produce.You get what'cha pay for.

Calcountry
07-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Ah! I see. Just adding my .02.

Btw, how's the bunnies?I killed 13 Rock Cornish chickens on Sunday. Got some Ozone hole on my 42 year old white carcass while I did it too.

Young, and tender meat, delicious.

I cut out their liver and fed them to the laying chickens with favre beans.

ENDelt260
07-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Bah. I'll still make them. The most fun part of making fun of Canada is the inherent exaggerated ignorance.

Calcountry
07-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Bah. I'll still make them. The most fun part of making fun of Canada is the inherent exaggerated ignorance.Would you stop post whoring!

This one post per year thing is going to screw up your average. :)

Dave Lane
07-30-2007, 12:33 PM
I second that. WTF?

I'll third it :hmmm:

Dave