PDA

View Full Version : Sci Fi Poll

TheFly
04-28-2001, 03:28 PM
Sorry about the last one... I can only put up 10 entries, so I'll try to put up a better list now...

Here's a few...

Amazing Adventures
Babylon 5
Batman (all incarnations)
Battlestar Galactica
Beastmaster
Blakes Seven
Doctor Who
Farscape
Gene Roddenberry (Andromeda, Earth: Final Conflict, etc.)
Hercules
Invisible Man
Irwin Allen (Lost in Space, Voyage, Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel)
Jules Verne
LEXX
Outer Limits / Twilight Zone
Quantum Leap
Relic Hunter
SeaQuest DSV
Secret Agent Man
Star Trek (all incarnations)
Stargate SG-1
Superman (all incarnations)
The Avengers
The Prisoner
Wild Wild West
X Files
Xena

Yes, I have too much free time right now...

Frazod
04-28-2001, 05:54 PM
You forgot STAR WARS (best SF movies) and DUNE (best SF books), unless you are only talking about TV shows.

I voted for Star Trek, although Babylon 5 is a very, very close second.

Herzig
04-28-2001, 08:42 PM
Im also big fan of sci-fi..I enjoy most of the shows on the list.

CanadaKC
04-28-2001, 08:59 PM
I'll pick X-Files and Millennium, because Chris Carter is a great writer/producer, and (insert shameless self-promotion here)...because I had small roles in both of them. BTW, among the shows you have mentioned ...
at least nine are, or have been filmed in Vancouver.

God Bless Free Trade, tax breaks for runaway American productions, and a crappy Canadian dollar!!!!

Logical
04-28-2001, 10:13 PM
Wow this was really tough,

Had to choose between Star Trek, X-files, and Dark Angel/Buffy (in other words good looking chicks vs strong Sci Fi with great writing.)

Quantum Leap could have easily gotten a vote as well.

I assume this was meant to be a TV Sci Fi poll only since Star Wars movies, Close Encounters and many other great movies were not amongst choices.

Luzap
04-28-2001, 11:39 PM
I don't think the list can be complete without adding...

Highlander

Luz
"who wants to live forever... "

Rausch
04-29-2001, 01:03 AM
Highlander...I loved both the movies and the series that ran on USA network...It was one of the few "alternative" shows that actually had decent writing, well plotted storylines, and fresh ideas. I liked it, and if the box sets weren't like $145 a piece, I'd probably buy them...

KCWolfman
04-29-2001, 01:45 PM
Canada - I read your reply a few months ago regarding Millenium. I would actually recognize your face. I have all releases on videocassette and have the first three seasons of the XFiles on DVD.

Are you planning on doing any work with The Lone Gunmen? I honestly believe if Carter had kept control of Millenium instead of handing it off to Ken Horton we would have had a season or more to it.

Lightning Rod
04-30-2001, 08:58 AM
Babylon 5 -

I really enjoyed the first series. It had it all. Good writing acting plot you name it. It unlike most of the rest, it had a beginning middle and ending all mapped out from the start. In addition to that, they made a good effort to use valid scientific principals in the small things such as the way their fighters were launched. Unfortunately the first series is probably 150+ shows long so you canít very well just go rent it.
I enjoyed most of the rest of the shows mentioned also. In the Star Trek line of shows I think Voyager is going to wrap things up this month. Should be entertaining.

Anyone else watch "Lost in Space" as a kid?

duncan_idaho
04-30-2001, 01:43 PM
Anyone familiar with sci-fi (books, especially) should know what I'm voting for (:)), but I'll say it anyway:
Dune ... the books, and the movie.

My favorite TV series is the underappreciated Earth: Final Conflict.

Rausch
04-30-2001, 01:52 PM
Anyone else remember that old cheesy series "V", THAT came out, oh, probably early to mid 80's? I loved that stuff as a kid, and i'M AMAZED that it got a fairly prime time slot as a mini-series...

A full series came out later, and the ships were strikingly similar to those in Independance Day....Hmmmmmmmmmmm.................

htismaqe
04-30-2001, 04:01 PM
By far the best original Sci-Fi I've ever seen was the "Tales from a Parallel Universe (Lexx)" mini-series produced for Showtime Entertainment, starring Eva Haberman.

And no, I'm not talking about the cheesy Sci-Fi series "Lexx", I'm talking about the mini-series that inspired it...

Mile High Mania
04-30-2001, 04:04 PM
Damn... you kids scare me.

LapDog
04-30-2001, 04:10 PM
duncan,

I agree about Earth: Final Conflict. They took several episodes to get going, but it was worth the patience.

The main problem for me was the local station kept moving the time slot so I would end up missing several episodes. That made it too hard to fully appreciate the story. So I dropped it and will wait to catch it sometime when it's more consistently available.

LapDog
04-30-2001, 04:27 PM
Brad,

I remember 'V'. It was actually a 2-part mini-series that aired in '83. The TV series aired in '84. A second 3-part mini-series called 'V: The Final Battle' that also aired in '84.

Here's a link.
http://www.fortunecity.com/tatooine/picard/966/id241.htm

I always thought 'Alien Nation' was the TV series that picked up where 'V' left off. In retrospect, it couldn't be, but you'd think I would have realized it before now!

:o
LapDog

Zebedee DuBois
04-30-2001, 06:24 PM
I've alway liked the Star Trek series. ...and I still say that Seven on Voyager is hot. A Borg in high heels... what a hoot.

I watched Lost in Space as a kid.. it seems pretty campy now.

I remember seeing the Twilight Zone episode with Shatner in the plane and the Gremlin-monkey on the wing when I was in the first grade. That show scared the bejezus out of me.

CanadaKC
04-30-2001, 10:10 PM
Wolfman...sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.
I can't remember the name of the Millennium episode I was in...but it was near the end of the series. I was playing a guy who gets decapitated by a woman in a mental institution. The X-Files episode I do remember...
it was called "Leonard Betts", which, ironically, also dealt with a headless guy. He nourished himself by feeding on other people's cancer. That's the episode Scully found out she had cancer. If memory serves me correctly, it aired right after the '97 Superbowl.

BTW...my favorite sci-fi of all time was actually the inspiration for "The X-Files". Darrin McGavin in "Kolchak, The Night Stalker". That short-lived series freaked me out as a kid...but I LOVED it!!!!

Rausch
04-30-2001, 10:13 PM
I WAS Like 8 or 9 when that "v" series came out, and on one episode there was this gal who had some alien/human hybrid baby, and it came out looking all green and nasty. But young brad didn't see the normal baby come out first.

Brad's parents had a good ol' time convincing Brad that all babies didn't come out looking green and slimy and lizard-like...

KCWolfman
04-30-2001, 10:46 PM
Canada - The Millenium Episode was "Darwin's Eye". Cassie Doyle was a repeat character with ties to the Dark Side. It was the last season. You were an orderly that got a little frisky. She liked cutting the heads off of her victims.

As I stated, it was one of the best series I ever watched. The last season was lame, unfortunately.

Again, are you planning on doing any work on the Lone Gunmen Series with Carter?

CanadaKC
04-30-2001, 10:53 PM
Wolfman...I'd love to do some work on "The Lone Gunmen"...but I haven't been cast in an episode yet.
I'm hoping next season. But I did meet that dark-haired actress from the series when I went for an audition for something else. WHAT A BABE! BTW, Tom Braidwood,
the "little" Lone Gunman...was the 1st associate director
on "21 Jump Street"...my first acting gig ever. We still laugh about it. I never knew he wanted to be an actor,
but he's quite good.