PDA

View Full Version : Toombs signed

1punkyQB
04-28-2001, 09:54 PM
Toombs is a Chief, according to kffl. Talented player. The RB corps has certainly been upgraded over the past couple weeks.

One Arrowhead Dave
04-28-2001, 10:17 PM
Who signed Toombs?

Link?

1punkyQB
04-28-2001, 10:24 PM
Sorry, about that, just edited it. http://nfl.kffl.com/news/hotwire/ and scroll down a bit.

Pitt Gorilla
04-29-2001, 12:21 AM
Toombs is a stud. If he loses a little weight, he will make the team.

kcred
04-29-2001, 07:55 AM
Which now brings us back to the question, why did we draft Layne? Could our scouting department not have seen, how he was furiously trying to get back in shapoe after the combine. Prior to that he was the #1 rated FB in the draft. It makes me wonder, why some of our so called experts didn't know this.

NaptownChief
04-29-2001, 08:34 AM
I think Layne has a lot of skills...Similar to T Rich with a little less speed but a little more wiggle....However, I didn't like the selection at that point in the draft considering what was available that could have filled much bigger needs. I like this Toombs signing...

tommykat
04-29-2001, 10:02 AM
I couldn't find the article. But I'll go snooping around to find it. HOWEVER....I did like what it said about the scrimage Sat. and that Trent made it clear that Tony G. would be used a lot....That says Gonzalez made him very happy to hear. He wasn't so sure after Elvis leaving and all the changes were he would stand. Now he says he is working even harder for this season.

TONY GONZALEZ IS THE MAN...:D
We have to keep this guy happy and a CHIEF!

philfree
04-29-2001, 10:22 AM
Although we will be flying Air Midwest we will still have to be able to succeed in short yardage and goal line situations. Put Toombs or another real FB infront of TRich and I think we will get the first downs and the touchdowns. And when the D crowds the line because they know we can bust it through we'll throw it to Gonzo!

PhilFree

tommykat
04-29-2001, 10:31 AM
I've been all over looking for Toombs...would someone feel me in on him?
Thanks

Phobia
04-29-2001, 10:45 AM
He's a monstrous RB for Texas A&M. He was an underclassman that came out early because his family situation needs money more than it he needs a degree. He was touted as a 2nd or 3rd round pick during the college season but put on some weight and showed up at the combine about 20 lbs over his playing weight.

I've seen a few Aggie games and I've never seen Toombs tackled by one person - I've never seen him arm tackled - and I've never seen him fumble.

I HAVE seen him carry 4 or 5 people into the endzone. He runs with high knees and always keeps his feet moving. I like the signing.

tommykat
04-29-2001, 10:53 AM
Thanks KPhobia.....
Sounds like a heck of a signing....;) Way to go CHIEFS!

1punkyQB
04-29-2001, 11:01 AM
Here are some scouting reports:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/football/nfl/2001/draft/profiles/jamartoombs.htm

http://nfldraft.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=521

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/players/179.html

http://www.footballinsider.com/archive/draft/2001/FB-Dave-TE.htm#JA’MAR%20TOOMBS

yoswif
04-29-2001, 11:22 AM
An in shape Ja'Mar Toombs would be excellent at running back in a one back offense. Especially if we split Gonzo out for a 4 wr formation. And it would appear from reports that we're going to be in a one back offense more than half the time.
Vermeil and Saunders have brought in 2 new qb's for our new offense, Green and Brister, 2 new hb's for our new offense, Holmes and Blaylock, and 2 new wr's for our new offense, Minnis and Horne. Now it appears we have two new and quite similar two back formation fullbacks/one back formation running backs, Toombs and Layne. Toombs and Layne both have excellent lateral quickness for their size (Toombs 4.12, Layne 4.19, Tomlinson 4.21 in the 20 yard shuttle), both have good between the tackles run skills, and both can catch the ball. I'm not sure if TRich has the same lateral quickness as Toombs and Layne, but I know he is a good between the tackles runner and a good receiver.

With Wiegmann or Waters at center, it would make sense to run a lot of inside traps when we're lined up in spread formations, either 3 and 4 wr formations with 3 wr's and Gonzo or 3 and 4 wr formations with one of the halfbacks and/or Gonzo split out at wr. IMO, TRich, Toombs, and Layne, because of their size, power, and quickness, would all perform well running inside traps from spread formations and give us a solid inside running game to keep defenses from assaulting Green.

If the fullback/running back in this new offense is going to be on the field just about every play and get 50-60% of the carries/game, it would make sense to be three deep with versatile players capable of filling the critical dual role of being fullback in two back formations and running back in one back formations.
If Toombs gets in the best shape of his life, it will be interesting to see which skill position players, wide receiver, running back, and tight end, make the final 53 man roster.

oleman47
04-29-2001, 11:48 AM
yoswif
Once again great info. Usually the last word.

It looks as if Moreau and Cloud are under in a real battle to survive, particularly when you count in Blaylock.

Pitt Gorilla
04-29-2001, 12:47 PM
I wonder if Toombs could play D-tackle, ala Keith Traylor. I realize that Keith was a linebacker making the conversion, but I believe he could do it. Just a thought.

hawaiianboy
04-29-2001, 01:36 PM
Prior to this past collegiate season I had him as a potential 1st RD guy as a TB... He has the same type of talent as a Bettis/Alstott as a tailback... Unfortunately, he lacked the self discipline to step up and seize the opportunity....

I wasn't overly impressed with him as a FB... His heart didn't appear into being the unglamorous blocker after being the feature back probably his whole life...

I doubt you guys signed him to play FB as Layne is heads and shoulders better at the position... Layne has a very Maz-like 'tude.... You'll love what this guy brings to the table... he's a real nut job...

IMO,I think Toombs was signed as a potential feature back/ backup to Holmes...

You gotta wonder if he isn't a few fries short of a Happy meal though with his comment "I didn't realize the combine was important"... DUH!... Seeing how hard his teammate Robert Ferguson was working out should have been a good clue....

I love Toombs as a TB if he can stay at the 240-250 range.... he strikes me as the type who will always break your heart though.... I'm amazed he wasn't drafted... No risk bringing him in as a FA.... At worst, he'll fill the void in fast food purchases left when Chester was let go... Don't dump those Krispy Kreme stocks yet!

Alphaman
04-29-2001, 02:27 PM
That's a pretty good observation HawaiinBoy. I saw an article that analyzed the Chiefs draft picks and one common characteristics was quickness (rather than speed). I think Toombs may indeed battle Moreau for a backup spot.

ChiTown
04-30-2001, 09:29 AM
We seem to have a penchant for aTm running backs.

Greg Hill
Dante Hall
Jamar Tombs

Let's hope this one actually surprises us with some amount of success. I saw him carry 4 tacklers into the end zone after a long run against OU this past year. He is a load. I also watched him disappear against KSU. So, who knows which one we'll get.

Bob Dole
04-30-2001, 11:03 AM
Pretty commonly accepted around these parts that Toombs is a dim-bulb.

But of course, Dickie seems to like to try to help those types. (Phillips...)

If they can get his weight under control and his head out of his posterior, he'll probably make the team. If not, Twitlock will have some buffet competition.

Clint in Wichita
04-30-2001, 12:17 PM
Toombs was the #1 rated FB in the draft before he lost control of his weight. Any time you can get a #1 rated player as an UDFA, you should be happy.

My starting KC backfield for 2001:

RB:

Homes
Blaylock
Moreau

FB:

TRich
Toombs
Haynes

No Cloud, no Hall.

One Arrowhead Dave
04-30-2001, 12:38 PM
I read the small piece in the Houston Chronicle that stated Toombs had signed with the Chiefs but I cannot find anything on KCCHIEFS.com or elsewhere that Toombs has signed. Has anyone else found anything?

Bob Dole
04-30-2001, 12:42 PM
Nothing is showing up on ESPN's "transactions" list for the last 6 days. (And it's updated, because they show Richmond Web going to the Bungles today...)

Brock
04-30-2001, 03:05 PM
I don't think this has happened.

HC_Chief
04-30-2001, 03:07 PM
I really don't see Toombs as a great addition. TRich is a more than capable FB, and Layne looked great in mini camp. Do we really need to cary THREE FBs?

FYI: Moreau has trimmed down and is wearing #22 now. I doubt he'll be a backup FB - even if they WANTED him to. He doesn't have the size anymore (looks to have traded it in for speed) ;)

Clint in Wichita
04-30-2001, 06:36 PM
It's on KFFL's Saturday page.

keg in kc
05-01-2001, 03:41 PM
HC, that's exactly what I thought about Moreau. I kept having to check my sheet to see who #22 was, and I kept going "wha!?". He definitely has shed some size. As for speed, IMO every back looked fast Sunday, so it was hard to tell...

sharris
05-03-2001, 01:14 PM
The Houston Chronicle posted a retraction that they had incorrectly reported that Toombs had signed with the chiefs. They state: Toombs is not a Chief.

ChiefGator
05-03-2001, 01:24 PM
Sure hope Toombs doesn't go on to become the next Jerome Bettis. We will always be the team that DIDN'T sign Toombs. Will Carl ever live that one down?

Mark
Deeply concerned....

bigdaddychieffan
05-03-2001, 06:03 PM
Since I go to school in the Big 12, KU. I have seen Toombs play on a few occasions in person. I hope that the Chiefs do sign him if they haven't. Having more possible people who could make the team be in training camp can't hurt. I am still peeved that the Chiefs didn't keep Shay on the practice squad because he is a really good guy and a nice person and one heck of a FB player.

NaptownChief
05-03-2001, 06:18 PM
That is kinda funny about Moreau changing numbers and looking smaller...A good buddy of mine and I always joke about numbers and the effects they have on a players attributes...For example #44 always look big and mean no matter who is wearing it...#21 and #22 look small and fast. #11 on a QB is quick cause the number one's are aerodynamic as opposed to #17 and 18 look slow even if Michael Vick were wearing it cause of wind drag...ect.ect....Just a running joke that I thought I would share since how the subject kinda came up....

One example you guys probably remember is John Stevens, he wore #44 for New England during his hay day and looked real big and powerful...When he was with us wearing #21 he looked small and quick....Anybody else out here as whacky as me and ever have crazy thoughts like this?

California Injun
05-03-2001, 06:27 PM
jl80,

Am I to assume that Jerrel Wison (#44) was a bad *** punter for the Chiefs back in their glory days?

He did kick the crap out of the ball when asked to by Hank Stram...

California Injun
05-03-2001, 06:29 PM
Auugghhhh!!!!!

"bad a$$ punter"

Why this word is censored and not symbols is beyond me.

NaptownChief
05-03-2001, 06:36 PM
absolutely...he looked much bigger and more powerful than had he wore a real wind dragger like #5 or 6....

You remember when Elvis wore #11? He looked much quicker and more athletic than when he switched to #18...

California Injun
05-03-2001, 06:42 PM
Now that I think about it, I have two boys (ages 9 and 10) and I just gave them each an Elvis jersey to wear for the Summer.

Both are basically the same size but I swear that the youngest (#18) looks at least an inch taller than his older one (#11).

NaptownChief
05-03-2001, 06:44 PM
a funny thing, those numbers...

chief52
05-03-2001, 10:34 PM
It is a funny thing about those numbers! They definitely convey something about the player, but the position also has something to do with it. 18 at QB is a large drop back with "lots of drag"...but 18 on a wide out is small quick and a deep threat!!!

California Injun
05-03-2001, 10:43 PM
John Hadl kicked some butt (#21) in the 70s.

Roman Gabriel (#18) did OK with the Rams as well as John Unitas (#19) with the Colts.

You need incredible talent to handle the large numbers as a QB.

If Lenny had pulled his #16 off the shelf and handed it to Montana, that might have made the difference in Buffalo for 1993.

I think that #19 added extra weight to his fall that led to his concussion.

But what do I know?

LapDog
05-05-2001, 09:32 PM
up for Randy Webb

Randy Webb
05-05-2001, 09:40 PM
Thanks,
Lapdog....