PDA

View Full Version : Who is still unhappy about the trade for Trent?

Chiefs Pantalones
04-29-2001, 02:17 AM
Just wondering. Maybe if you read the great article that JoePo wrote in the Star it will make you think twice. Think about it? Do you want a robot thats emotionless, vegy (Grbac) or a leader with heart and determination (Green)

Oh and we are not rebuilding! Why do I keep reading stuff that says we are rebuilding?

One more thing...is this RBBC over? Will Priest be the guy? What is everyones thoughts on that?

CG

thanks

Chiefs Pantalones
04-29-2001, 02:21 AM
Oh and is the Star BB down for good or will it be back?

CG

has been busy and not informed

kcred
04-29-2001, 08:51 AM
Quite to the contrary CG, after reading his article, I am more inclined to think we may have made a mistake. There is no question about his heart, attitude, intelligence per se, however, he basically is unproven. I had become an advocate of Trent Green, but now wonder about the knee, as Jo states, has had four surgeries to it, and in his career, has only started 24 games. I am not down on Green, but I think Joe, has brought all the original questions, back to the surface.

Packfan
04-29-2001, 09:31 AM
There is a reason why no other team was interested in Green.

There is a reason why he has only started 24 games in his career.

And there is a reason why he is on his 3rd team in four years.

He isnt that good.

The Chiefs made a mistake by not waiting until next year for a guy like Green. This type of QB is available each and every year for FREE. The 12th pick in the draft is way to much for Green (and Horne and the 5th). Desperate teams do desperate things.

Elvis Grbac, Brad Johnson, Doug Flutie, Vinny Testeverde, Jeff George, Rich Gannon, Randall Cunningham, Chris Chandler, Steve Buerline, Scott Mitchell, Neil Odonell among others. They all have the same thing in common with Trent Green:

They were all free agents at one time or another.

The Chiefs could have saved the 12th pick to fill one of their many needs and signed Buerline to a one year deal, then go after a more viable QB in FA next year.

Trent Green would have eventually come available. The Rams would have been forced to cut him like the Bills had to do with Flutie.

Poor trade by the Chiefs. Maybe the worst in the Peterson era.

NaptownChief
04-29-2001, 09:43 AM
There is a reason why GB traded Mark Brunell for a 3rd and a 5th.

There is a reason why GB traded Aaron Brooks for next to nothing...

There is a reason why GB grossly overpaid for a middle fo the road WR that wears #86.

There is a reason why GB grossly overpaid for a RB that can never stay healthy.

Cause they just aren't very smart......

Cormac
04-29-2001, 09:45 AM
Ken,

We all know that we paid a lot for Green. But to say that it's already possibly the worst trade of the CP era is extremely premature, if not misinformed. Surely I don't have to remind you of the bad trades CP has carried out??? I know you remember Bam Morris.

Green is more proven than the likes of Hasselbeck. Yeah, he's older and he cost more in the trade, but that's the trade off. I too was in favour of taking Beuerlein for a year or two. But I have to live with the Green deal now, and I think he could be "the man". Also, if we had waited until he was a FA, we wouldn't get 2 years of cap-friendly contract in the meantime, while we evaluate how much he's worth to us in the long term.

HC_Chief
04-29-2001, 09:53 AM
<i>he's older and he cost more in the trade</i>

How did Green cost more? Seattle did a #1 swap and also surrendered a #3.

KC <b>paid:</b> a #1 and <b>received:</b> a QB, KR AND a #5

Cormac
04-29-2001, 10:07 AM
Seattle moving down 7 spots in the first round, and giving up a 3rd is less than giving up #12 in our deal IMO. To put it another way, I'd have preferred to get St. Louis' #20 and give up #12 and a 3rd rounder for Green.

What was the deal with Horne anyway. He had already signed an offer sheet with us. Did St. Louis just agree not to match our offer to sweeten the deal? It didn't seem as though they were going to try to re-sign him anyway. Just wondering if there is something there that I missed.

Zebedee DuBois
04-29-2001, 10:09 AM
Yes, your take on the Horne deal is about right.
We made an offer sheet and the Rams said they were going to match/better it, but as part of the Green deal they agreed to let Horne sign with KC

Cormac
04-29-2001, 10:17 AM
Thanks Zeb. I hadn't heard that St. Louis had any intention of matching.

hitman3283
04-29-2001, 10:31 AM
I don't know why everyone says that Green is old, he is 30 years old right now, and he will play the whole season next year at 31, if he plays until about 36-37, he has 6-7 more years left in him, he might even play more. There are a lot of QB's that are playing until 38, that means he has a good # of years in front of him. So could someone explain to me how 6-8 more years left in the league would make him old? I am not saying he is a stallion, but he definately has a good number of productive years in front of him!

Packfan
04-29-2001, 10:33 AM
Jl80,

You forgot to mention in your rediculous post that the Packers went to two super bowls in the last five years. The Chiefs havent won a playoff game in 8 years! Quit comparing the teams. It makes you look stupid.

Cormac,

Yes, the trade is done and we have to live with it. I just get disgusted with this team when they do things like that. NOBODY else was interested in trading a high draft pick for Green. The Rams, IMO, would have settled for a lot less. They needed the cap space to sign their own picks and Aneass Williams.

Green is damaged goods. And the type of player that is acquired for free every off season. The Chiefs blew it, IMO.

Herzig
04-29-2001, 10:50 AM
While I was against the green trade for a 1st and 3rd, I was not opposed to the deal we made. I think that it has made most people in KC optimistic about the future. I just pray he stays healthy. I do wish we would have used what we had left in the draft on defense.

I miss the days of the Red and Gold shutting down everyone..

philfree
04-29-2001, 10:56 AM
Ken, When you post about waiting to get Green or another FA QB next year it makes you look stupid. Looking at the last two winners of the Super Bowl it's obvious that any year could be the year. Not acquiring the best players to play in and run your system is a waste. If Green gets and stays healthy and plays up to the level he has in his limited opportunities it will have been a good trade. And what's this we BS? I don't think anyone on this board considers you a Chiefs Fan.

PhilFree

Packfan
04-29-2001, 10:56 AM
Greg,

It doesnt take much for Carl to seel Chief fans on the future of the team. I remember a few years ago reading Carl's season ticket hold letter. He bragged about how he signed Bam Morris for another three years.

I think drafting a stud running back would have done more for this team in the long run. Not a 30 year old, banged up, journey man QB, who is on his third team in the last four years.

Why didnt the Redskins resign him?

The Bad Guy
04-29-2001, 11:04 AM
The Redskins made a play to resign Trent back in 1999, however he wanted to go to St. Louis with Martz, who was given the title of offensive coordinator that year.

Plus, he signed a 4-year, $16 million dollar deal with the Rams.

Lets examine the "stud" running backs in last weeks draft.

Tomlinson was the only sure bet in the draft.

McAllister has several injury concerns.

Bennett hasn't shown he can catch the ball, and could of been a product of Wisconsin's mammoth offensive line.

Drafting either McAllister/Bennett and going with Dilfer/Beuerlein would not be a better situation than right now.

If Peterson took that route Ken you would be over here saying how bad either Beuerlein or Dilfer are.

You play devils advocate on this board just to be a troll. Which is fine, but personally I don't see why you spend all this time debating over a team that you have no passion for.

(_LT_)
04-29-2001, 11:10 AM
Cody,

While I am extremely jealous of the Chargers draft (Iwanted McAllister and Brees), I know it was not the right move for this team at this point in time. The trade for Trent Green solidifies the QB position for several years to come. I really believe he WILL become a QB that all Chiefs fans will unite behind. Even though his knee remains somewhat of a question mark at this point, he is doing all the right things to win over all Chiefs fans. If he plays up to 3/4 of the hype of DV and AS, I think we will all look back and say we got him rather cheaply.

As far as the RBbC, I'm not sure it is a dead issue this year, but that is OK with me. I think we were adressing the main issue in QB this year, and RB will be adressed next year in the first round. Foster from UCLA, and the guy from Oregon State aree a couple of early favorites to keep an eye on.

I also am going to go a bit against the grain, and suggest Cloud may benifit more from the new offense than Moreau. Nothing more than a hunch, but I will not be surprised to see Cloud emerge to challange Holmes for playing time.

LT (formerly known as Coogs)

Packfan
04-29-2001, 11:21 AM
NFL,

I am quite consistent. I have said all along that the Chiefs should hold onto the pick. If they did, I would be applauding them as I did when they cut Grbac. I hated Grbac and he proved what he was capable of.

Its good that you are optimistic. I hope Green wins the MVP next year. But I like to rely on facts when I form an opinion. And fact is that Trent Green type of players come free to teams every off season. Green himself was free to the Redskins and Rams. He hasnt done enough in his career to warrant the chiefs giving up a 12th pick for him. Another fact is that there was very little interest in Green. The Rams knew how desperate Carl was and jacked the price up for him. Do you think the Rams would have held onto Green and his high cap number if the Chiefs offered a 2nd round pick? Probably not. They were getting rid of Green to the highest bidder. Luckily for the Rams, Peterson gave in and sent him one of the highest draft picks he has ever had.

Let me remind you what the Chiefs have gotten the last two times they drafted that high: Derrick thomas and Tony Gonzales. Not bad. You dont find those players in free agency.

tommykat
04-29-2001, 11:50 AM
Greg,

Do you have anything positive to say about the Chiefs? You seem to put them down a lot and never seem happy with the choices made.
You have to remember this is a new year with a great coaching staff. Not to mention the players we have and will continue to pick up before June 1st. Either get on the WAGON or take a fall and get OFF....:D
Tommykat is proud of the CHIEFS!

Otter
04-29-2001, 11:53 AM
Didn’t read the other posts so I apologize if this has been touched on before but here is why I’m concerned about the Trent Green trade.

He’ an unproven product.

You can sit there and tell me: “he knows the offense”, “he looked great last year when he did start” and all the other empty “proof” but bottom line: he almost 31 and unproven.

The only thing that gives me confidence about this trade is that I have faith in Dick Vermeil’s decision-making ability.

As far as “he knows the offense” well knowing the offense is almost synonymous with knowing your teammates and besides, this isn’t the Ram’s offense it’s the Chiefs with a different OC an players. And as far as “he looked great when he did start”, look at the talent he had around him (can you say Marshall Faulk?) and its pretty easy for any average QB to look great.

I didn’t want this trade to happen. I still think we should have gotten Breese and Barlow.

As far as I concerned he has a lot to prove and anybody trying to give me “proof”, well I’ll tell ya what. I’ll bend over and pull down my pants so you can blow the smoke directly up my a$$.

Never the less, its what happened and I wish the best for my team.

Sorry to hit and run, but its too nice out to be in front of this thing all day.

philfree
04-29-2001, 12:12 PM
Kurt Warner was unproven just before he had his MPV season. And Green has proven more in the NFL then Breese. My question is: What does a QB gotta do before he's proven enough to the QB of the Chiefs? Win the Super Bowl or be Joe Montana? I don't get this unproven thing!

PhilFree

Cormac
04-29-2001, 12:31 PM
Packfan,

Players like Green don't come free every year. The ones who were "free" this year were ALL considered by the Chiefs. And most of them were crap! Scott Mitchell, Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer, Jon Kitna, Jim Harbaugh, Moses Moreno, Shane Matthews, Tommy Maddox. I'm willing to gamble that Green is head and shoulders ahead of those guys. And don't say that the Chiefs were beaten out for Flutie or Johnson. I doubt they really wanted to sign either one of those (thank God!) and waited by the sidelines while SD and Tampa signed them. They had talks with the agents or visits with every QB they were interested in, and many of those decisions you scoffed at at the time. They were going to bring Druckenmiller in for a try-out for Chrissake! Those are the kinds of players that come free each year. Green would have been available "without compensation due the Rams" in 2 years time. In the meantime we would have had to have signed a stop-gap QB, while waiting for the guy we wanted. If we wanted a certain guy that badly, we did what we should have done......we aggressively pursued him. Again, if we had waited 2 years, we would have had a lot of competition to sign him (because he would be "free"), in time for what would likely be DV's last year. That just doesn't make sense. You obviously believe that CP stands pat too much while big name FAs switch teams. Now, on a rare occasion, he did what he and DV believed in, and (through hard-nosed negotiations) got Green for far less than the original asking price. Bash him all you like for being passive, but then you can't bash him when he is aggressive.

The Rams clearly would not have settled for a 2nd round pick for Green. Don't you think CP offered them that? He reportedly tried to sign him for a swap of first rounders, period, in the beginning. CP, if nothing else, is a master negotiator. The Rams were so chock full of spite after the DV hiring that they were not going to give Green to us for anything realistic. They may have traded him elsewhere for a 2nd, but not to KC. Frontiere, if no-one else, would have vetoed that.

Once again, I know the Chiefs paid a lot to get him. But they are banking on him fulfilling his potential that Saunders and Vermeil know an awful lot more about than you or I. For that reason I am happy it worked out for them, and now I hope he can successfully fill the QB spot for us for several years.

Otter
04-29-2001, 03:06 PM
Philfree,

A proven QB to me is someone who has an established approach, has started a full season(s) and you have a good idea of what to expect when he hits the field.

Is the QB in question going to win the game for you or are you better to put him in situations where he won’t lose the game for you? How does he handle the 2-minute drill, pain, pressure and the blitz?

For better or worse, you could answer all those questions for Steve Buerline, Elvis Grbac, Trent Dilfer and a whole host of other QBs. Trent Green you cannot because he does not have enough of a background. He started 5 games in the last 3 years and has a total of 24 career starts.

Was he good in those 5 starts? Yes he was.

Is that enough to make a solid hypothesis about his performance in 2001? No it is not.

Is his knee going to hold out? Don’t have an answer.

So, in turn, he’s unproven. If you find the word “unproven” ugly or demeaning than break out the thesaurus and find another. But like it or not Mr. Green is unproven at this point.

I hope he goes out there and rips the opposing secondaries new corn chutes, but there is no way to solidly backup the statement that he will or will not.

Cody asked for my concerns and I gave my concerns. They are not bashes on Trent, Carl or the Chiefs organization in any way shape or form. They are the same concerns I would have if I were to go out and purchase a truck that entered the market 7 years ago but has only been run 24 times and one of those 24 times one of the wheels fell off.

NaptownChief
04-29-2001, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Packfan
Jl80,

You forgot to mention in your rediculous post that the Packers went to two super bowls in the last five years. The Chiefs havent won a playoff game in 8 years! Quit comparing the teams. It makes you look stupid.

Cheesebrain,

Please inform me at what point I compared the teams.....You were merely being a prick and taking cheapshots at Green and the Chiefs and I just returned the favor....

I think you need to spend a little more time worrying about yourself looking stupid before you concern yourself with my stupidity....

ck_IN
04-29-2001, 04:05 PM
Colour me as one who is still unhappy about the Green trade.

As others have said, Green is unproven. A 30yr old QB with a resume of 19 career starts and no playoff and very little crunch time game experience is unproven.

I still maintain that we paid <b>way</b> too much for him and you can thank DV for that. If he hadn't acted like a 15yrd old with a crush on the homecoming queen, CP might have had some negotiating room. As it was we were forced into a take it or leave it position. Unfortunately CP folded like a cheap tent and gave up a #12 pick for Green and a 5th rnd pick. Way too much for a 30yr old QB with almost no resume, a gimpy knee, and a bad habit of taking sacks.

We'd been much better off signing Beurline, drafting a QBOTF in the 3rd and letting T. Shea earn his money. The #12 pick could've been used to rebuild our woeful defense or acquire a stud RB, or traded down for more picks. If the QBOTF didn't seem to pan out, Green would've be available next year at a far lower price. Next year is also a very deep one for QB's.

As it is Green <b>has</b> to be as much as billed since we've bet our future on him. If he's not as billed we've been set back about six years and will be reliving the '80's. This is an unnecessary gamble and a reckless one. Let's all hope it pays off.

DaWolf
04-29-2001, 04:25 PM
In reality, it is all a risk. Green was the best available option. I was against the original 1 and 3 deal for him. I can live with the deal we finally wound up making for him, because there was no way to get him without the 12 being involved. With Beuerlein, you don't know if he's over the hill or not. He's certainly never going to repeat his pro bowl season of 2 years ago. That was his peak. With Dilfer, you don't know if he's going to suck or not. I mean, hell, Billick dumped him and said "We got as much as we could out of Dilfer, but if you want to improve, you must move on." Is Green much of a better option? Who knows? All I know is the coaches we have watched him in practice and know the type of guy he is. To remain respectful, we probably could have gone the usual conservative way, posted a 9-7 or 10-6 at best record, and got wiped out in the first round, and started over next year. But, according to Vermiel, sometimes, to win a championship, you have to take risks. Green is a risk. He is a risk with a much higher reward chance or a much higher faliure chance than the other options. Vermiel is banking on it being the former rather than the latter.

Of course, if Trent is able to get the ball to Gonzo a lot, make him happy, and we win some ballgames, making Gonzo want to willingly sign an extension knowing that this combo could be around for another 5-6 years, that's another bonus in the trade.

We'll see...

tommykat
04-29-2001, 04:38 PM
This is Dick Vermeil saying this.........
“Like I told them yesterday, if they want security, buy an alarm system. There is no such thing as security in the National Football League.

OK.....YES I'M YELLING. WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE THE CHIEF FANS TO LIGHTEN UP ON THE QB.S?????:(
I'm so sick and tired of all the players being great or boo their a$$es of the field. This is horrible the way the fans are. I for one stand behind Trent Green. Actually I did Elvis the last year or two. <<But when he was the QB. I didn't BOO him. I cringed, shook my head, thought, but never one time would I BOO my own TEAM.

So do we all have our alarm systems? Even if you do, just remember that nothing is fool proof. You can always have someone that knows how to get in....HUM, that just could be our QB. Think on that a bit! ;)

tommykat
04-29-2001, 05:25 PM
Otter,
What the heck are you talking about? Part of what I put in was deleted. Not for sure why, but it was.:(

Rausch
04-29-2001, 05:26 PM
Green seems like a great guy, a truly wonderful person, and that is important. But there is just something I can't put my finger on that makes me leary of this trade. I don't know why, since all EARLY signs point to a mature qb, but I just get the feeling that this guy is not what everyone expects he will be.

NOt only that, but people are expecting him to be the next Joe, which he is not. Joe was Joe, Green is Green. Being a probowl qb for us will still not be enough for some people.

I don't think it will work, and I will have no problems admitting I was wrong if he goes to the probowl next year. That's all I ask, no stupid 2 minute decisions, 1 or 2 comebacks that are realistic to attain, and a probowl. If this staff and coach feel he is the next Joe, he should at least make the probowl as a back up. I would be happy with that.

chief52
04-29-2001, 06:18 PM
I do think Green is good and will help the Chiefs, but I think the Chiefs overpaid. The 12th pick in the draft for Green and the fifth...Horne not likely to have signed with Rams anyway...is a lot to pay. No one else was interested, that is for sure. But, we had our backs against the wall due to poor preparation on the part of the front office. He may very well end up being worth it and I will sure root for him. What the Chiefs had to pay has nothing to do with him or what he can bring to the team. I think the addition of Priest Holmes is going to have a major impact on the offense.

Herzig
04-29-2001, 07:12 PM
You must be referring to some other "Greg". I am a "homer" about the CHIEFS all the way. For the life of me, Im trying to figure out what Ive posted that's been negative. I would never boo the Chiefs ever! For crying out loud I pay $50 every year to keep CHIEFS personalized on my license plate!! I wear Red on Fridays and my Chiefs jersey on Sundays. I even have CHIEFS socks and boxers!!! I am happy with Green for a 1st, Horne, and getting a fifth! Im just worried a little about his durability. Also, I would have preferred them leaning more toward the defensive side in the draft, but I wont judge this draft until 5 years from now. I drive 4 hours each way 2-4 times a year to go to games!!! I wait in line 4 hours before the game just to get in to the parking lot!!! If you are referring to me, you certainly havent seen me post much....

FORE!!!!

CanadaKC
04-29-2001, 08:00 PM
Greg H...she's probably referring to me. I wasn't pro-Green on the other BB, but I have come around since then. However, I will say that I was NEVER (and never will be) anti-Chiefs! I also joked with Tommycat about being happy about the Green deal because he will bring
in more babes to Arrowhead, and to the Chiefs' fan family :)

Political correctness is not one of my strong suits.

Logical
04-29-2001, 09:10 PM
Just remember folks, Packfan has criticized the Chiefs and especially Peterson over and over for not picking up Brunell the first time the Pack wanted to trade him, and praised Seahawks lavishly for trading for Hasselback.

Yet he constantly harps on the Chiefs because they do not develop a QB from the draft. His points are totally without merit because they lack consistency and are based on where the QB is coming from:

From GB = Good
From Others = Bad

I believe his favorite QB was offered in a trade one time in his first couple of years I am sure had a team picked up Farve he would have been considered a bad QB because he was not developed through the draft.

Dawson = Bad picked up by AFL through earliest form of free agency (2 Super Bowls)
Plunkett = Bad picked up in a trade (2 Super Bowls)
Elway = Bad did not play for team he was drafted by received in a trade
Collins = Bad picked up in free agency (1 Super Bowl)
B Johnson = Would have been bad if he came to Chiefs through FA
Flutie = Bad if picked up by Chiefs as tired worn out FA
Montana = Bad because CP traded for him (oh yeah 4 Super Bowl victories, but still a bad pickup)
Jim Kelly = Bad picked up through free agency (4 Super Bowls)
Stan Humphries = Bad picked up through trade (1 Super Bowl)
R. Gannon = Bad to Raiders through FA (2 Pro Bowls)
Dilfer = Bad FA (OK maybe I will give him this one but still 1 SB)
C Chandler = Bad Fa (1 Super Bowl for Atlanta)
S Young = Bad trade from Tampa Bay
W. Moon = Bad for Houston and Minnesota because he was picked up from CFL then traded

I could go on and on with QB after QB who did well after being picked up after a trade or through FA, but piling on poor Kenny gets boring after a while. He is saying picked up free now because last year that Carl would not pull trigger on a trade for a QB that was not over the hill or a SF retread, well this year Carl did what Packfan said he would not and now Packfan must change his tune.

jamayka
04-30-2001, 09:13 AM
I have to say I'm a little lost on this "unproven" thing too. All great quarterbacks are "unproven" at some point in their careers, like the beginning. Granted this isn't the beginning for Trent Green, but if you read up on him, in a way, it is. If it wasn't for a the fact that he had to take a cheap shot to the knee by Harrison (SD) in pre-season a couple of years ago, we might be talking about him like we talk about Warner. And I'm really sick of people who keep wanting old bags as our starting quarterback. Berluine (hell, I can't even spell his friggin' name, and neither can most of you), is old and tired. Would it be great if he was our backup? Hell yes! But starter? No. I think we got away with a deal on draft day. Trent Green will be great! And this team will surprise everyone!!! Including you (Mr and Mrs. Negative posts)!!!

Peace

ck_IN
04-30-2001, 09:56 AM
I won't assume to speak for others but when I say Green is 'unproven' I'm speaking in relation to the cost he incurred. A 30yr old QB with a resume of 19 starts and a gimpy knee should not cost a #12 overall pick. If we'd gotten Green for a 3rd rnd pick I'd have said his value is in equal proportion to his proven record.

Now this is not a knock on Green. I sincerely hope he lives up to his billing. But it still doesn't change the fact that DV/AS put us in a position where we horibily overpaid.

kcred
04-30-2001, 10:50 AM
While I don't necessarily agree with Ck, as the price will have to be evaluated, after a season, I do agree with some of the concerns. How do any of us know, if he will be able to hold up to the rigors of the season, coming off four surgeries. His knee is definitely not his fault, but until he takes the hits, then can we say for sure he will hold up. As to the unproven part, he played one full season as a starting QB, not an outstanding one, but not a bad one either. This does not equate to a proven veteran performer. The purpose of a forum is to discuss issues. This thread was started by Cody as a feel good thread, thinking everyone was on his side in the debate, and throughout the thread, no one has said they did not like Green, just had some concerns. I, for one, hope he erases those concerns and we can all unite behind him. But for those of you who think this team will go undefeated through the SB, be aware, even Vermeil has said this will be a better team in two years. I am hoping for playoffs, but think it will be a tough accomplishment. This does not mean I do not like the Chiefs, I have been a fan before many of you were born. And in my golden years, will never change.

Iowanian
04-30-2001, 12:03 PM
Let me remind you what the Chiefs have gotten the last two times they drafted that high: Derrick thomas and Tony Gonzales. Not bad. You dont find those players in free agency.

So you say that a player must be drafted this high to be a great QB for a team....which round did the packers draft your beloved Favre?

-oh, they didn't?

redhed
04-30-2001, 12:39 PM
Haven't chimed in for a bit, and this is a good one to do so.
I was against the Green deal from the start, because the price was too high. I still think the Chiefs overpaid, but Horne and the 5th softened the blow. If DV didn't have such a stiffy for Green, the Chiefs would have had a little more room to bargain. But DV got his man at a price that was lower than the original deal, so I won't gripe too much for now. I think Green is a question mark, but the upside outweighs any doubts about his knee or skills. (I don't doubt that he could be a quality QB for the next few years.)
At least the Chiefs are making moves!
At least we (fans) won't have to go through the last 2 years all over again!
I'm getting the feeling that my team is moving forward!

I never got that feeling with Gun&Co.
Did anyone get that feeling w/ Gun?!?!?

About 100 days until the 'durrz receive 'da SMACKDOWN!!! WAHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Gonna start puttin' mah game face on today!

Mark M
04-30-2001, 12:50 PM
I'll be happy when he wins a playoff game.

How long has it been since the Chiefs won one? Can you help me out Ken? I keep forgetting. :rolleyes:

MM
~~Beating a dead horse (or in Packfan's case, a dead horse's a$$).

DenverChief
04-30-2001, 01:14 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wasn't Montana a third round pick ?

ct
04-30-2001, 02:57 PM
I generally don't do this, and find it annoying when others do, but one key word buzzed me into it.

Grbac is the guy they wanted. I seriously doubt that there were any high fives when Grbac cowardly departed and attention was turned to trading for Trent Green. Grbac pulled a fast one on the Chiefs and forced them to give up the 12th pick in the draft for Trent Green. I hardly think the Chiefs are happy about that.
Do you think the Chiefs were excited when Grbac bolted and they were left with a huge void at QB? Do you think Carl and Dick planned it this way? That Grbac would suddenly bolt and they would have to give up their 12th pick for another QB. I want your opinion on this.
I am not ripping Carl for letting him go. He had no choice. I think Elvis did the Chiefs a favor by departing (until the Chiefs gave up their 12th pick for another journey man back up). I rip Carl for not having a QB in development and not preparing for Grbac's sudden departure. Anything can happen when a guy becomes a free agent. He should have had an adequate backup, not Warren Moon and Todd Collins.
They wanted to sign Grbac because he was already here, had a good year last year, didnt cost them compensation, and had some continuity with the other receivers. His departure was an unexpected disasater. Instead of having your pro bowl QB and drafting a running back, the Chiefs had to give up the 12th pick for an Elvis Grbac clone. Big, big mistake.

- Packfan, 04-26-2001 (separate posts on the same thread)

I am quite consistent. I have said all along that the Chiefs should hold onto the pick. If they did, I would be applauding them as I did when they cut Grbac. I hated Grbac and he proved what he was capable of.

- Packfan, 04-29-2001

Consistent? Really, these were only 3 days apart!!

ct
dissappointed in myself

redhed
04-30-2001, 04:02 PM
ct
dissappointed in myself

Don't be. :D

chief52
02-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by chief52
I do think Green is good and will help the Chiefs, but I think the Chiefs overpaid. The 12th pick in the draft for Green and the fifth...Horne not likely to have signed with Rams anyway...is a lot to pay. No one else was interested, that is for sure. But, we had our backs against the wall due to poor preparation on the part of the front office. He may very well end up being worth it and I will sure root for him. What the Chiefs had to pay has nothing to do with him or what he can bring to the team. I think the addition of Priest Holmes is going to have a major impact on the offense.

Since things are so slow, I decided to check the archives a little. I am sure I am wrong at least as often as anyone else, but I am proud of my last line on this post! I think the addition of Priest Holmes is going to have a major impact on the offense. Not bad for 4/29/01!!!

P.S. Post #29