PDA

View Full Version : If Republicans can't face Youtube how can they defeat the terrorists?

jAZ
07-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Too bad, I thought the format worked better than any other debate format I've seen. Tougher than normal questions with occasionally better than normal answers. I was looking for a GOP version, but I wasn't counting on one. Doesn't seem like the GOP base has much in common with YouTube.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/015889.php

07.26.07 -- 9:24PM // link

GOP: Youtube Too Scary for Us
It's looking like there might not be a GOP CNN/Youtube debate. Rudy appears to be opting out and Mitt Romney doesn't seem far behind. And GOP party functionary Hugh Hewitt is already laying down a line of covering fire for the retreat, arguing that CNN and Youtube are biased against Republicans.

"Liberal Bias", whatever else it once was, now appears to be the new Republican code word for any venue or events not controlled by Republican commisars like Hugh Hewitt along the lines of President Bush's notorious Social Security townhalls in which only certified flunkies who swore to a Bush loyalty oath were let into the room.

As I said here on the night of the debate, the CNN/Youtube debate wasn't perfect. And there were for my tastes a bit too many questions based on a rather cliched sort of viral video silliness. All told though I found it surprisingly successful in getting fresh questions into the mix and edging at least somewhat more candor out of the candidates than the usual fare.

I'm not sure whether the resistance is rooted is the profound feebleness of the current GOP field or the fact that the current Bush Republican party is so beholden to a worldview based on denial and suppression of evidence that exposure to unpredictable questions presents too great a danger. But if they can't face Youtube how can they defeat the terrorists?

--Josh Marshall

go bowe
07-26-2007, 09:00 PM
...if they can't face Youtube how can they defeat the terrorists? i don't care who you are, that there shit is funny...

josh marshall, huh?

i didn't know he had a sense of humor like that...

banyon
07-26-2007, 09:05 PM
I haven't like most of the Dem debates, but the YouTube/CNN one I thought was great. Shame that the GOP is opting out.

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2007, 09:14 PM
The Youtube debate had me rolling my eyes at first, but it worked well.

To be fair, though, a GOP Youtube debate would almost entirely consist of people asking Ron Paul why he's the greatest person on the planet.

jAZ
07-26-2007, 09:26 PM
To be fair, though, a GOP Youtube debate would almost entirely consist of people asking Ron Paul why he's the greatest person on the planet.
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

It's funny because it's true!

go bowe
07-26-2007, 09:27 PM
can you imagine a ron paul vs. dennis k. debate? just the two of them, nobody else...

now, there would be something to see...

Taco John
07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
That's a bummer. While I disliked some of the doofy stuff they let get through, I thought that the YouTube debate was organic. It felt like democracy... like the people were really participating in the process.

I guess I can understand why the Republican party would want to continue their trend of seperating themselves from democracy.

Ultra Peanut
07-26-2007, 09:38 PM
can you imagine a ron paul vs. dennis k. debate? just the two of them, nobody else...

now, there would be something to see...I would ****ing pay to see that happen.

dirk digler
07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
That is disappointing I really enjoyed the YouTube debate the other night.

Though Dems can't complain because their candidates chickened out by not doing a debate on Fox.

banyon
07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I would ****ing pay to see that happen.

That would be bad a**. They seem to be the only two candidates not beholden to anyone.

Cochise
07-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Same way Democrats say they will defeat the terrorists when they can't face Brit Hume? :shrug:

Mr Luzcious
07-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Ron Paul will defeat the terrorists. By himself, if need be.

recxjake
07-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Some questions were very good, some very poor.... I liked parts of it, didn't like other parts of it....

I just don't think it was very professional. I don't see Republican voters being nearly as creative as the Dems...

Your average Republican voter can barely use e-mail, yet alone make a video.

I think the questions would be set up and CNN could basically plan the outcome in advance by only showing questions that were harsh.

noa
07-26-2007, 10:08 PM
I think the questions would be set up and CNN could basically plan the outcome in advance by only showing questions that were harsh.

Mr. Giuliani, why do you hate ferrets so much?

banyon
Some questions were very good, some very poor.... I liked parts of it, didn't like other parts of it....

I just don't think it was very professional. I don't see Republican voters being nearly as creative as the Dems...

Your average Republican voter can barely use e-mail, yet alone make a video.

So bascially, you're siding with a group of the mentally impaired?

Adept Havelock
Same way Democrats say they will defeat the terrorists when they can't face Brit Hume? :shrug:

Yep, I do believe that was the point of the post.

recxjake
07-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Mr. Giuliani, why do you hate ferrets so much?

Well to be honest.... this is the exact type of question they would ask him.... or why do you dress up in drag, or some joke about being married 3 times....

Taco John
07-26-2007, 10:18 PM
I think Florida state Republican spokeswoman Erin VanSickle says it best: "It's an important debate in an important battleground state that just moved its primary to Jan. 29th. In other words, we have every confidence that they will attend. They can't afford not to."

recxjake
07-26-2007, 10:22 PM
I think Florida state Republican spokeswoman Erin VanSickle says it best: "It's an important debate in an important battleground state that just moved its primary to Jan. 29th. In other words, we have every confidence that they will attend. They can't afford not to."

[edit] August 5, 2007 - Des Moines, Iowa
ABC News will be conducting a debate to be aired on This Week; moderated by George Stephanopoulos.

[edit] September 17, 2007 - Saint Petersburg, Florida
CNN will hold this debate, which will have a simulcast on CNN en Espaņol. Internet services You Tube and Google will also participate, allowing them to stream the event live and have clips for future use.[12] Individual voters will be able to send their videos via You Tube and their questions through Google and CNN.com

[edit] September 27, 2007 - Baltimore, Maryland
PBS will host a Republican debate in Baltimore, Maryland, at Morgan State University.[15]

[edit] October 14, 2007 - Manchester, New Hampshire
WMUR-TV, ABC News, and the New Hampshire Union Leader will host a Republican debate in Manchester, New Hampshire.[15]

[edit] October 21, 2007 - Orlando, Florida
The Florida Republican Party and Fox News Channel will host a Republican debate in Orlando, Florida.[15]

[edit] November 6, 2007 - Ames, Iowa
MSNBC will host a debate at Iowa State University.[29]

[edit] January 5, 2008 - Johnson County, Iowa
The Des Moines Register and Iowa Public Television will host a Republican debate in Johnson County, Iowa.[15]

[edit] January 30, 2008 - Los Angeles, California
The Los Angeles Times and CNN will host a Republican debate in California.[15]

patteeu
07-27-2007, 09:35 AM
OMG, what a blow to democracy! :rolleyes:

alanm
07-27-2007, 12:36 PM
I think the Republicans are a little above having puppets and snowmen and goatse ask poignant questions about the state of America. JMO.

beer bacon
07-27-2007, 02:04 PM
That is disappointing I really enjoyed the YouTube debate the other night.

Though Dems can't complain because their candidates chickened out by not doing a debate on Fox.

Those two situations aren't really analogous.

wazu
07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I think the Republicans are a little above having puppets and snowmen and goatse ask poignant questions about the state of America. JMO.

Yeah, Rudy Giuliani might marry his cousin and go out on the town in drag multiple times, but answering questions from common citizens is simply beneath him.

Fishpicker
07-29-2007, 12:50 PM
CNN called Giuliani's and Romney's bluff. they are rescheduling the debate since RG & MR claimed they have scheduling conflicts.

Hydrae
07-29-2007, 02:08 PM
This is a stupid move by the Republicans. The only way this will be seen by the common man on the street is as an attempt to dodge questions from the people. It makes it appear that they are above answering to the masses and have no concern for what the common man deals with in their everyday lives.

Not saying that is the case, just what the appearance is if they do not join in this "new" form of debate.

Logical
07-29-2007, 09:46 PM
The Youtube debate had me rolling my eyes at first, but it worked well.

To be fair, though, a GOP Youtube debate would almost entirely consist of people asking Ron Paul why he's the greatest person on the planet.Funny that was my thought as well. It might be really amusing though.

Logical
07-29-2007, 09:54 PM
So bascially, you're siding with a group of the mentally impaired?ROFL

I doubt if recxjake thought that post through.

Fishpicker
07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Well to be honest.... this is the exact type of question they would ask him.... or why do you dress up in drag, or some joke about being married 3 times....

those are the questions that Rudy would look forward to answering. youtube is very unkind to the likes of Rudy.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4n7uJnKGTGg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4n7uJnKGTGg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

at least Rudy can smile about it.

ChiefaRoo
07-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Who give a shite about UTube. It's just a marketing gimmick.

Pitt Gorilla
07-29-2007, 10:26 PM
It's pretty insulting to me to think that the Republicans would have to answer to anyone, especially the American people.

Fishpicker
07-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I really want to see Rudy say this to a national tv audience.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3OC_CRmyA0c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3OC_CRmyA0c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

BCD
07-29-2007, 11:18 PM
I really want to see Rudy say this to a national tv audience.

Like I needed another reason NOT to vote for this assclown...

Pitt Gorilla
07-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Rudy's right, you know. (Partially) true story: Delano DeShields and I were talking to this possible terrorist (he was at least foreign, maybe Mexican) the other day and I asked the guy, "Why do you hate us? (Americans, not Delano and I specifically.) And, you know, he said, " Freedom for Religious and Freedom of Womens." Although stunned, Delano noted, "We ain't changin' those" at which point everyone else at La Rotunda Grande erupted in applause. So, take that, Bidges.

jAZ
07-29-2007, 11:45 PM
"... and Freedom of Womens."
ROFL