PDA

View Full Version : Anybody attend the open practice today?

Katie
04-29-2001, 01:34 PM
Just looking for reactions and info on what went on. These are the times living in Cincinnati is tough - this place is a football fan's nightmare...

Phobia
04-29-2001, 01:46 PM
It's probably still going on, Katie.

Bob Dole
04-29-2001, 02:04 PM
Oh sure, Kloster...an answer for everything.

(Just filling space and making sure the thread gets seen when the people lucky enough to live in KC log on...)

HC_Chief
04-29-2001, 03:15 PM
Notes: Offense is going to be EXCITING this year! Saw a lot of patterns, lots of formations - including the shotgun. They ran a screen play several times - it looked really good! 4 guys in patterns, then pop! RB has the ball behind three OLmen to the right. Defense was very fast and lateral pursuit was outstanding. We need to work on coverage though - Dennis and Bartee looked best in coverage.

<b><u>RB:</u></b> Priest Holmes is FAST. I don't care what his 40 times are - the guy can flat-out move. He was tearing through holes and burning down the field. Outstanding lateral movement and great vision (anticipated holes). He also showed very good pass receiving skills. I can't wait to see him suit up in a game! This guy is a damn good RB! :D

TRich was solid - moved well and actually showed lateral movement. He must have worked on that this offseason.

Moreau looked trim and showed good burst. FYI: Frank is now wearing #22. CB Dyshod Carter is wearing 46.

Cloud looked slow - and not very motivated. He's history.

Blaylock is effing FAST. He can scoot... and he catches the ball well too.

Layne is going to be a very good FB. He has great size and acceleration. He also showed very good pass receiveing skills. (Notice a trend here?)

<b><u>WR:</b></u> 'Snoop' Minnis was an absolute STEAL in the 3rd!!!!!! You guys are gonna sh*t when you see this guy play. Talk about a playmaker! Excellent speed, ran precise routes, excellent hands (did not see him drop ONE pass). He was also very excitable - after a catch he ran down the sidelines waving his hands - pumping up the crowd. Morris better lookout - this kid might take his place...

J.J. Moses is a tiny guy (5'6") but has tremendous speed and <i>great</i> hands. Again, not a single dropped pass. I hope he makes the cut - he showed a lot today; if he can continue to perform at that level, he'll have a spot on the roster.

-to be continued-

HC_Chief
04-29-2001, 03:32 PM
Sylvester Morris showed nothing. He was suited, but I didn't see him catch anything - also did not see him run any patterns.

Ricks is big, but not very fast. He's probably history.

DA looked good - made some acrobatic catches.

#11 Geroy Simon (WR, 6'1", FA from MA-Coll. Park) made some very nice catches in the 9 on 7 and 11 on 11 scrims. Ran nice routes and looks to have 'soft' hands.

<b><u>TE:</u></b> Tony Gonzales was, well, Gonzales. Looked like the best TE in the game! :)

Drayton is gone apparently - was not there and is not listed on the roster sheets they handed out.

Baber looked good - has good hands and good speed. Will be an excellent option when Tony rests... will be an excellent target opposite Tony in 2TE sets.

Dunn looked overweight - but very strong in blocking drills.

<b><u>QB:</u></b> Biggest surprise of the day: Bubby looked VERY sharp!! I'm talking Grbac on a good day sharp. Crisp passes - always on target. Made quick decisions and even took off once when coverage was tight (would have gained at least 15 yds). I <i>was</i> a Bubby dtractor... until today. He will be the #2 - guaranteed.

Collins - there is a reason this guy hasn't taken a snap since '97: he stinks! The guy cannot throw an out to save his life; and it looked like he did not even know the plays. No way in HELL could this guy become a starter... he's toast.

Helming looked like an undrafted FA rook - but he was at least better than Collins. (Expect this guy to play in Europe)

Green was there and he addressed the crowd. This guy is charasmatic and has an infectious positivity about him. He talked with a lot of different players and constantly had a smile on his face. He seems to have bonded with the team already - they looked to be joking and having fun. I have no doubt in my mind: this guy is the team captain and on-the-field leader.

-to be continued-

HC_Chief
04-29-2001, 04:07 PM
<b><u>OL:</b></u> Spears started at LG - Tait on his left, Wiegman on his right. (Strange not seeing Grunny and Szott). No worries though: these guys looked strong and moved well - especially considering this is just a 'mini camp' - right off the long offseason.

Riley and Shields looked really good. I think we have a very good, solid OLine - I'm not worried in the least.

BTW - Szott, Grunhard and Alt were all at the practice - more on that later....

<b><u>DEFENSE</u></b>
<b><u>LB:</u></b> Edwards was in coverage a lot. I like this because that is where he excels. He generally played 5 yards off the line and pursued running plays very well. Had a few tips and dropped on sure INT.

Patton - can this guy be in any better shape? My gawd, the guy is a friggin tank! I think Maz served notice last season: improve or be replaced. It looks like he took the notice seriously... very good lateral movement and acceleration to the hole.

Atkins - this guy is <i>built</i> to be an OLB. You can definitely tell he's adjusting to the position however - got burned BIG TIME by Gonzo on a TE cross (of course, very few NFL LBs can cover him anyway...). Robinson seemed to really like Atkins and spent time with him showing him where to line up and what his assignments were. Gave him lots of encouragement. (NOTE: that was a running theme throughout this practice - the coaches were very positive and supportive. They took time to explain things to players and would correct them if they lined up incorrectly... it looked like a positive learning atmosphere)

Maz - did not see much of him - he lined up at OLB a few times and MLB a few times. Aggressive as hell and looks a bit bigger - but with less fat.

Bush - did not see him.

Stills - not present (in Europe - where he's terrifying QBs and shredding the league - not unlike Mr Maslowski did) ;)

<b><u>DL:</b></u> Defesnive homers - prepare to be happy. Ransom and Browning looked GREAT at DT. These guys either plugged the line, or blew right through it to the QB. I was impressed by both.

Williams did not suit up (foot injury)

Hicks and Clemmons = outstaning 1-2 punch from the corner. Beisel looked solid but a bit over-anxious (Bubby got him to jump) This kid definitely has a motor - he just needs to control it

Sands - OMG, this guy is a friggin' HOUSE. He made the other DTs look small in comparison. 'Green Mile' is right!

<b><u>DB:</u></b> Bartee and Dennis are our best CBs IMO. Both showed good speed, hands, 'make up' speed, and both did a good job jamming receivers.

Crockett: did not see him make any plays.

Taje Allen - 'burnt toast'

Warfield - still tentative.

Woods - didn't do much but was always in a position to make a tackle.

Dyshod Carter - not bad, needs some work but could become a solid cover man.

Overall, this is our team's weakness IMO. Our guys looked good jamming receivers, but 1 or 2 guys always seemed to get open. In zone, they were shredded. Now, a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that our new offense puts five men into a receiving pattern - and each one is eligble. On several occasions, guys did a good job on the wide-outs, but left the RB open. Other times, they covered under and the RBs well, but got burned deep (especially by Minnis - man, that guy is GOOD - or Moses: fast, small, catches EVERYTHING)

-to be continued-

DaWolf
04-29-2001, 04:23 PM
Damn HC, you already got me pumped up!

I read that both Crockett and Cat were injured, so maybe that's why they didn't do much.

BTW, did you get to see Downing? I didn't see his name mentioned in your report...

Katie
04-29-2001, 04:27 PM
HC - thanks for the in-depth report...geez, you must have taken notes or have great recall. I'm green with envy and would loved to have been there. Sounds like positive things are happening!

How about Wesley? Was he suited up?

The Rick
04-29-2001, 04:30 PM
I was there too. HC_Chief is pretty much on target with his analysis, so I won't give mine. I will say he's absolutely correct about Minnis. He looked like a steal and should make an impact this season. I also though Geroy Simon looked good and could be a suprise.

Here's my contribution...pictures!

http://www.rickmcmillin.net/photo_view.php?shoot_id=9

Rick

Zach
04-29-2001, 04:35 PM
Hey guys!-
New poster here. I was just wondering about the defensive coverages. Are we using alot of bump an run or more zone crap?

This is some really great info. I'm excited about everything, but my only question is the CB position.

Thanks!
Zach

Traveller
04-29-2001, 04:37 PM
Thanks HC_Chief

Your in-depth coverage is great for us fans that are out of state.

tommykat
04-29-2001, 04:39 PM
Thanks you all for the indept details.....Like others, you all got me pumped! So what was the injury Cat had? And can't remember the ones name (like out of the Green Mile)? Sounds like he is good as Holmes. But the big surprise was what you all said about Bubby. Hum, sounding better all the time..:D

old_geezer
04-29-2001, 04:44 PM
H_C Chief

Fantastic report. I had to comment on your report on Williams.
"Williams - did not suit up".

That will probably be the epitaph on his tombstone. :D

DaWolf
04-29-2001, 04:48 PM
Rick,
Thanks for the pictures man! Good stuff. Nice to see Hicks take a detour to come over and aknowledge you...

Zebedee DuBois
04-29-2001, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys, for the impressions.
HC, you're making me wish the summer away.
Sounds like we will have an exiting season.

kcred
04-29-2001, 05:04 PM
Great report HC, you may have done more to get me going this year, than all the other stuff than has been written combined. Looks like original analysis of the CB situation may prove correct, but there is still time to turn the corners. I know Williams had foot surgery, but, I, too, think this will be seen time and time again, til he's gone.

The Rick
04-29-2001, 05:05 PM
Thanks DaWolf! It was a lot of fun, and it was nice of Hicks!

As far as that goes, I was impressed with Warfield too in that aspect. He hung around a long time afterward and signed lots of autographs, and took lots of pictures with kids. That was down a little bit from where I was sitting, so I didn't get a good photo of him.

kcred
04-29-2001, 05:14 PM
Great pix Rick, 132 days to go.

Wrasse
04-29-2001, 05:15 PM
That's awesome!

Thanks so much for posting the analysis and pics, guys. Ahhhh! I can't wait to see them play!

alanm
04-29-2001, 05:24 PM
Why am I not suprised about Dan Williams missing the mini camp. It's a recuring theme with him.

redshirt32
04-29-2001, 05:35 PM
Metro Sports showing stuff about mini camp tonight

Warrior5
04-29-2001, 05:36 PM
Outstanding scouting report...very detailed observations. I also went...took my son...followed up with lunch at Jackstack BBQ (what a great father-son day!).
Anyway, have a few comments to add to your observations:
QB - you're right on target. Collins was lame; wobbly throws all over the place, locked on primary, no mobility. His days are numbered.
Brister looked like a man on a mission: enthusiastic, mobile, fake-pumps, looked off primary, on-target, and ran like a RB on broken plays. Appeared like he was trying to get starter job.
Priest Holmes - a bonafide RB. Found holes and HIT them fast.
TE - Baber is STOCKY; showed good hands and good blocking skills.
Minnis - ability is unquestionable. Interesting when he ran down the north sideline firing up the crowd. Not saying this is bad or good, just kinda cocky for a rookie to do this. Time will tell.
Very bittersweet day; so many new players and coaches present, so much youth, speed, and potential, contrasted by Hasty and Anders missing, and John Alt, Dave Szott, and Grunny on the sidelines in civies, culminating with Grunny's retirement speech.

HC_Chief
04-29-2001, 05:43 PM
Server went down before I could finish my 'report' ;)

Overall, I would say this is a brand new team. The coaching staff seem to really be working hard to instill a positive learning atmosphere. Everything was upbeat, but not rushed. The players looked <i>happy</i> - it's hard to explain... there was a positive enegy (starting to sound like a damn hippy now) I am disappointed I did not get to see Green perform - but I can tell you this: he has my admiration and support! The guy has charisma galore - it's infectious.

After the practice, Grunny was honored at the 50yd line. ALL of the players and coaches and front office staff were there - in a big circle. Carl Peterson actually 'choked up' a bit. Grunny's jersey was presented to him in a frame and Carl announced "No one will wear #61 in 2001" (I'll bet they retire the number altogether)

Conclusion: Minnis and Holmes = GREAT acquisitions. D looked solid, but suspect in coverage at times. Zone was NOT the norm - rather, bump & run was generally employed. Offense looks explosive. This year will definitely be exciting. :D

(BTW, I am SERIOUSLY sunburned!)

redshirt32
04-29-2001, 06:08 PM
HC
Real nice report, JJ Moses I was watching him quite a bit he did look small all of 5' 6" but he did have some bulk not to many guys going to jam him on the line he has some good moves and can get down field fast.

I was really impressed with most all the WR they were not dropping many balls.
All this previous talk about Bubby has no merit I thought he was right on with his throwing was impressed to say the least.
Snoop looks like a player and is going to be a crowd pleaser.
Geroy Simon caught my eye and every ball made it look easy he looks very fluid where did he come from ?
With the # of running backs we have Who do you think are going to be the odd men out ?

Herzig
04-29-2001, 06:22 PM
Thanks HC...I psyched up now completely!!

HC_Chief
04-29-2001, 06:38 PM
Redshirt - Cloud is history... no doubt about it. He looked slow and tentative. He would cut-back into the pile - even when there was a hole right in front of him!

Moreau looked really good - he lost weight! I was surprised to see him in #22.

Blaylock is FAST... he was the only RB that looked faster than Priest.

Layne looked powerful and had good speed too. He caught the ball very well.

Hall is in Europe - I don't know if he'll make it (doubtful)

I'm betting KC keeps: Holmes, Moreau and Blaylock at HB. Richardson and Layne at FB.

Geroy Simon: #11, WR, 6-1, 188, 26yr old, from Maryland College, Park

redshirt32
04-29-2001, 06:46 PM
HC- Thanks for answering my questions
got to go wife thinks I spend to much time here SHHII
had a real good day though and the team looks better!!

CanadaKC
04-29-2001, 06:53 PM
AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Can't wait for opening day! BRING IT ON!!!!!

milkman
04-29-2001, 07:22 PM
HC,
Thanks for the outstanding info.
Your report seems to support my belief that Bartee and Dennis are capable man defenders, and were misused in a soft zone.
With regards to Terdell Sands, aside from his size, is there anything positive to report? Does he have any talent that you could see?

HC_Chief
04-29-2001, 07:25 PM
Milkman- Did not see him participate. I just saw him with a big group of DLmen - watching 9 on 7s then 11 on 11s. They were rotating a lot of guys in & out & it was hard to see the indiviual defenders (especially when you're concentrating on this EXPLOSIVE new O - like I was) ;)

Rest assured, the nickname 'Green Mile' fits. That guy is a mountain - he is absolutely huge.

Alphaman
04-29-2001, 07:52 PM
HC_Chief:

Was there any sight of Toombs in camp today?

morphius
04-29-2001, 08:12 PM
HC - Great stuff! Thanks.

philfree
04-29-2001, 08:13 PM
This is by far the best thread I have read since the offseason began. Great info and great picks! I had almost gotten focused on something besides the Chiefs but now that will be short lived. I give you guys one big AT-A-Boy. AT-A-BOY!

PhilFree

Logical
04-29-2001, 08:33 PM
I must concur with Philfree,

So much positive energy and Hardcore extreme Kudos for your reporting and also to rickm20 for the great pictures. This season will be exciting if for no other reason to watch the change implemented.

Katie
04-29-2001, 09:11 PM
So, aside from this guy being HUGE, are there any stats on this guy? Seems like we would not have drafted him if he didn't have at least good athletic ability, experience not withstanding...

Cormac
04-30-2001, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. That was great reading!

HC_Chief
04-30-2001, 08:24 AM
Alpha - no Toombs. Was not listed on the roster sheet either (there were ~NINETY players on that sheet! I'm keeping that bad-boy btw) ;)

Katie - Did not see 'Green Mile' practice. Matter of fact, never saw him put his 'shell'(helmet) on. He might have had a pull or twinge that held him out. I heard that was the reason for the noticable absence of SlyMo in the 9 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills.

KCinGA
05-01-2001, 07:33 AM
Awesome posts by HC_Chief!!! Wow! Along with everyone else, I'm totally PSYCHED for the season with your training camp reports!!

Keep 'em coming!

Glad to hear that Bubby is working out well at QB. I was concerned about that pickup, too. My biggest concern was at DT... but the reports on Ransom and Browning were positive. And, my curiosity is definitely raised on Sands (a.k.a. 'Green Mile').

keg in kc
05-01-2001, 03:30 PM
A few things to add to what HC said:

I though Klemic looked very good at WR. Very good hands and very, very fast. Simon was probably the most impressive, making several grabs in traffic. Moses didn't impress me in the least.

Cloud looked good in the running drills at the beginning. Then again all the backs did. He disappeared later...

Assuming my roster was correct, Ransom was not lined-up at DT. He was the second string defensive left end, which I found very odd at the time. Maybe that was due to the injury to Clemons?

Brad Kubik (UFA we re-signed) has apparently been moved from guard and was taking snaps at center. From what I saw, he may be second string, but I'm unsure. The centers were Weigmann, Waters and Kubik.

The defense is going to have a lot of work to do - the offense was passing at will on them. There were, however, a number of passes to backs in the full drills, so the coverage may have been okay at times (or maybe it was Collins...).

Baber looked great. Ditto for Layne.

Looks like we're still going to see a lot of interior-type running, and I think that fits the backs we have.

Notably, I didn't notice a single snap in the shotgun where there were not two backs in the backfield. Exclusively split back in the shotgun, which I did not expect.

Something that bothered me is the fact that Vermeil spend virtually no time on the defensive side of the field. Maybe he trusts his coaches, but it seemed to me all his attention was on the offense. On the other hand, though, he wasn't really doing much more than walking around, and was letting his staff, well...coach.

Finally, despite the recent published reports, I really, really think wide receiver is the least of our worries. We looked friggin great at wide out.

That's all I can think of now. Probably would have posted more if I'd been able to get on before today, but Roadrunner was not cooperative...

1punkyQB
05-01-2001, 05:26 PM
Glad to hear the good comments on Klemic. What little there was to read on him was pretty interesting. Anything on Wes Robertson? Sounded like he might be a player from the scouting reports.

BIG_DADDY
05-01-2001, 05:54 PM
Great freakin thread. Thanx for the lowdown HC_Chief. This time of year is so frusterating because you are not really sure what you have. Sounded pretty good. I was really concerned about Bubby and thought that was a horrible acquisition, I would love to be wrong here however. I am looking forward to an explosive offense this year as there was nothing more frusterating than needing 12 yards on third down and throwing for two.

GO CHIEFS

Zebedee DuBois
05-01-2001, 05:58 PM
I nominate HC_Chief for Offensive Poster of the Week.
RickM20 gets my nod for Defensive Poster of the Week.

Arrowhead
05-01-2001, 06:22 PM
I would pay to receive a report like the one this thread provided after every open practice.