PDA

View Full Version : Remember that QB names post from a while back...

jAZ
04-29-2001, 09:30 PM
Well after looking at today's paper online, it occured to me that many of the great QB's - that I can think of - look the part.

Montana, Elway, Marino all seem to have those hero cool names and those hero good looks.

Trent Green might not be People's Sexiest Athlete, but he seems to look the part, more so than Elvis.

You decide...

jAZ
04-29-2001, 09:31 PM
trent green

http://www.kcstar.com/photos/data/29trent.jpg

jAZ
04-29-2001, 09:33 PM
or elvis

http://image.pathfinder.com/people/sp/sma98/12sexymen/images/grbac.jpg

tommykat
04-29-2001, 10:40 PM
I agree.........One question though. Why does Joe Montana keep popping up in every thread? He was good, but really all he did for the Chiefs was finally get the fans involved again.

So, OK..we had Montana~ Big deal.....do we or don't we live in the present and no the past???

Otter
04-29-2001, 11:03 PM
Tommykat,

What Joe Montana did with the Chiefs was a very, very small part of his career.

Joe "cool" Montana for many NFL fans (including myself) is the quarterback for which all QBs will be compared to for quiet some time. He was not only great as a QB but a very cool (see above) guy as well.

He had ice running through his veins when most men would be nervous recks. Heres a neat little story about him:

With 3:10 left in Super Bowl XXIII, the 49ers had possession at their 8-yard line, trailing the Bengals 16-13. An 11-play drive ended with Montana's game-winning 10-yard pass to John Taylor-a play that the quarterback concedes was his number-one Super Bowl thrill. Almost as well remembered was an incident during a time out on that drive, when Montana glanced at the sidelines and said, "Hey, look, there's John Candy!"

You are right about the statement that we should not live in the past. My purpose of this post is to inform you about why Joe's name keeps coming up and to share a little insight into my all-time favorite NFL player.

If you wanna read more go to: http://www.nfl.com/news/hof/80s/montana.html

Theres a couple neat stories there.

tommykat
04-29-2001, 11:11 PM
Otter,
I don't dispute you at all. I'm just trying to figure out all the hoopla that Joe Montana was the only QB that all seems to think that made the Chiefs.. I'm thinking NOT~
He made people come back out as fans, but really didn't do that much. So, why again all the hoopla for Montana where the Chiefs are concerned?:confused:

RainMaiden
04-29-2001, 11:12 PM
Between Elvis' and Trent's looks, most definitely I'd chose Trent by a loooooooooooooong shot. Never did understand how Elvis got that People's sexiest award anyway, unless he has a first cousin as the editor.

tommykat
04-29-2001, 11:17 PM
This is off the wall to many. But I do know someone that helped with the strenght training of some of these guys and all Elvis wanted to do on off time was play golf. And what did Trent do??????? Sorry, but this is a wake up call. Trent is/has been doing what the so what Elvis thinks he can do..

Otter
04-29-2001, 11:24 PM
I don't think the comparison has anything to do with the Chiefs, I think it has to do with the fact that we are trying to size up our new QB. And like I said in my last post, Montana is the quintisential QB and until sombody replaces him in that catagory, all QBs for whatever team will be compared to Montana and his accomplishments.

Kind of like the way our defense is compared to the a$$-kicking days of Hasty, Carter, Thomas, Smith ect... or the running game of Okya and Allen.

Until somthing better, stronger and more effective comes along, it will continue to be the measuring stick for the future.

Fair, no. Reality, yes.

Rausch
04-29-2001, 11:38 PM
The first one in almost 30 years....We didn't do it after Dawson, and haven't since...

But I agree, we do need to drop the Joe comparisons..Let the guy play a season first. He has THAT to accomplish yet...

jAZ
04-29-2001, 11:44 PM
Just to clarify my original post...

I wasn't referring to Montana from his days with the Chiefs or with the 49ers. Just referring to him as one of the many great QBs in history. Having nothing to do with KC-Montana hoopla.

It just seems to me that on the surface things look and sound better with Trent than with Elvis. This post is mostly in jest, as we all know there is no actual correlation between looks/name and performance as a QB. At least I am not aware of any.

But on the surface, and maybe just below, it appears that Trent is a winner... so far... :)

Trent Green is a better QB name than Elvis Grbac. He has the better QB looks. And from reading quotes and listening to other people talk, it sounds like he has a better attitude and approach.

Let's just hope that all of those superficial things are complimentary to his incredible play as a QB.

jamayka
04-30-2001, 07:59 AM
Trent Green is WAAAAAYYYYYYY sexier than Elvi! Trent Green will end up being The Sexiest athlete (Orwhatever that People mag issue was)!!! I rememer when Elvi was in the mag and I thought , "who did he Bl** to get that gig?" Not the quarterbacking gig, although now that I think about it.....