PDA

View Full Version : Could someone help me out with the FFL

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 04:20 PM
I would have posted this in the FFL forum but, since there hasn't been a post there since last September I figured I would get more response here.

I am thinking about playing this year, but I have never played any fantasy sport so I don't know anything about it. How does it work? What do you have to do to play? Thanks in advance.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2001, 04:26 PM
First let me say that if you give 100% of yourself to a FFL, then you will enjoy the hell out of it. However, it is somewhat time consuming... at least, it is if you expect to be good.

I have only participated in 12 team leagues... I did play in one 16 team league and that sucked, too much of a diluted talent pool, esp with QBs.

My leagues have three 4-team divisions - regular season of 12 weeks, with the playoffs in NFL weeks 13 and 14. We do that since some teams rest their stars in the final 2 weeks of the NFL season.

The my leagues are set up - you play each division team twice and every other team once. 4 Teams advance to the playoffs... we're thinking of increasing the number.

What specifically do you want to know... ?

Investigate the scoring, trading and fee policies of a league before joining. Also, it's no fun to play if you are in a league with a lot of people that you don't know. As well, trash talking is key in FFL ... so don't play if the other people can't take the heat.

Smack makes FFL fun!

Mile High Mania
04-30-2001, 04:32 PM
Also... drafting is key. My leagues don't allow trading picks for players or trading high picks for mulitple lower round picks. That gets outta hand.

I've never had a losing season, but then I've never won a FFL SuperBowl... I've lost 2 in 7 years. Not a good feeling... all that smack comes back to haunt me.

So, if you get in a league, carefully look at the scoring and determine which positions (usually RBs and QBs) will give you the best scoring chances.

Most leagues ask that you start this combo of players each week:
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 K, 1 Def/ST... some leagues designate a defensive player for sacks, fumble recoveries, INTs, etc. I don't go there, b/c I like picking team defenses and special teams.

Once you know the scoring system and the draft order is determined, you need a drafting philosophy. Example, my leagues require that you have strong RBs... so I usually try to pick up two studs in my first 3 picks. I'll usually go RB, RB, QB, WR, WR, RB, WR, QB, etc. I always pick kickers and defense last... those are total crapshoots.

After you have your core group - 1 QB, 2 RBs and at least 2 WRs (or TE... some leagues make you play a TE each week) then you start picking the best skill players.

I could go on and on and on....

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 04:32 PM
Do you set up your own league, or do you join one already set up? Do you create your own team (name location, or does any of that even matter) or do you pick a team from the NFL (I couldn't live with being anyone other than the Chiefs)?

Where do you suggest I go to look into this? Where do most of you play?

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 04:35 PM
When exaclty does the draft and the season start?

Mile High Mania
04-30-2001, 04:40 PM
I'm in two leagues that my friends and I have set up... we use CBS sportsline to administer the leagues. We set up our leagues on their sites, with passwords... they have an offering that will monitor the scoring, trades and everything else that is customized for any league.

If you search on Yahoo... you can pull up all sorts of stuff on fantasy leagues. You can even visit actual fantasy sites and read all of their BS.

Check out www.cbssportsline.com or espn ... Most national sports sites offer some sort of FFL.

It's fun, but it will drive you crazy!

The main piece of advice I can offer is this...

DO NOT draft with your heart. You may hate the Broncos, but if Griese is there when you need a QB ... don't pass on him out of spite.

My teams have featured guys Gonzo, Morris, Wheatley, Grbac, Tim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Jimmy Smith...

Also, there will be weeks (and I gurantee this) when you are watching a late Sunday game or a Monday Night game and your beloved Chiefs are playing the Raiders. And, you happen to have Gannon on your team (example)... well, if Gannon throws 2 TDs your fantasy team wins and KC loses.

It's times like that win fantasy football drives me nuts... it puts you in a position when you hope one of your players has success against your favorite team.

My motto... if the REAPER or Cannibalistic SeaMonkeys have to lose in order for the Broncos to win, then so be it!

Yes ... those are my team names.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2001, 04:42 PM
You're asking very specific league questions...

Depending on whether you're in a league you create or a league set up by an existing site... the draft times vary.

We usually draft 10 days prior to week 1, just so that we get a clear picture of who will actually make the teams. Plus, preseason injuries will bite you if you draft too early.

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 04:47 PM
My motto... if the REAPER or Cannibalistic SeaMonkeys have to lose in order for the Broncos to win, then so be it!

It would be the exact way with me (except it would be the Chiefs and not the donkos). My real life team comes first.

I'll check into the sites you recommended. One more question, is there any kind of cost to do this? It seems like once I came across some fantasy sport thing and it cost.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2001, 04:55 PM
Again... it depends.

If you join a team that is in a league with CBS or ESPN, sometimes they may have an activation fee, but it's nothing major.

In my leagues, each team puts up $50... then we charge $2 for each FA drop and pick up and $5 per owner for trades.

Then we split up the pot b/t the playoff teams...
I think the two SB winners last year in my leagues won roughly $500 each. That's some nice coin.

I make lots of trades and pickups trying to solidify those 3rd and 4th RB/WR slots. So, I usually end up spending another $50 in transaction fees.

We used to have a "candy rule".... which penalized a fantasy team owner if one of his players was fined by the NFL for substance abuse. Kinda fun when the guy with Irvin got hit with the penalty. We dropped it though.

The self created leagues with guys you know are the most fun...

Mile High Mania
04-30-2001, 04:57 PM
Go to yahoo...

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=%22fantasy+football%22

These are the initial search results on 'fantasy football'.

I'm definitely in the wrong field, if I won the Lotto and retired... I would run a fantasy sports site full time. I'm much more suited for that than sales. :-)

Mile High Mania
04-30-2001, 05:01 PM
One final strategy....

When drafting, pay attention to which other owners pick up guys like Warner, T Davis, Favre, Manning, etc... and select their backups late in the draft or early in free agency.

Last year, I picked up Green... just in case and it paid off. I traded him to the team that had Warner for a king's ransom.

There's a ton of luck in fantasy football, but there's a hell of a lot of strategy involved as well.

KCTitus
04-30-2001, 05:06 PM
Thought I would chime in, here...

Last season I got involved in 3 different FFL leagues from this BB alone. Last season was my second season of FFL and I found that attempting to do 3 teams was too much. I found that after one of those three teams started to falter, I hardly gave it any thought.

As far as specifics go, you draft the current players in the league, so obviously whoever gets the first pick is going to get one of the highest scorers like Marshall Faulk or a Kurt Warner was last year.

Drafting depends on the scoring systems and these can vary significantly.

Typically TD's are 6 pts for the RB, QB, WR. Extra pt's are 1 pt and tackles are 1pt, 2 pt conversions are 2pts, FG's are 3 pts and there are also points for interceptions, fumbles, passes defended, etc. Also there are points for accumulated yardage and negative points for interceptions thrown, fumbles lost. Most of that you'll pick up on the sites that you check out.

All of the sites I have played have been free: Sandbox, Yahoo, and CBS sportsline.

I will play this year but do no more than maybe 2 teams. As Brad says it is quite addicting and maddening when you have an opposing player against the chiefs that week and you need a big day out of him.

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 05:07 PM
Cool. I'll do the research on it. Thanks for the help.

KCTitus
04-30-2001, 05:08 PM
Be around here in August, raiderhader, that's when the FFL leagues get formed around here and you'll have the opportunity to play.

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 05:10 PM
Thanks Titus. I wouldn't do more than 1 team for my first year. No way I would attempt more than that until I had the hang of things.

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 05:11 PM
Be around here in August, raiderhader

I don't plan on going anywhere;)

Mile High Mania
04-30-2001, 05:11 PM
Titus... I did 3 leagues one year and thought it sucked as well, however after doing the 2 teams the last three years, I feel like I might want to take on 3 teams again.

Would there be an opening and could I be extended an invite to play... you know, being an outsider, ya never know.

How did you guys do the draft last year? That's one main reason I didn't jump at the chance to join your leagues last season.

Do you guys set aside 6 hourse one night and do the draft via a 'chat' or message board site like this?

KCTitus
04-30-2001, 06:28 PM
Brad: In 2 of the leagues we did an autodraft and one we did a live draft. The live draft was actually set to the 'long' live draft where each owner had up to 24 hours to make his pick.

Unfortunately, one of the guys in the league was out of town w/o access to the Internet (his wife was checking the draft and making picks for him) so it slowed things down considerably and JOhn was working nights at the time which threw everything out of whack.

We did use the BB (actually we were still on KC.com at the time) to keep everyone informed and we really didnt set up any 'hours to be available' or anything like that.

It was the sandbox league.

It took us a week to do 20 rounds. It was a miserable experience, but I did learn some vital lessons about live drafts.