PDA

View Full Version : A word or two from the quiet sector

CrazyHorse
04-30-2001, 03:47 PM
2:55 ET: The Capital-Journal reports Kansas City Chiefs rookie WR Marvin Minnis, better known as Snoop, said he already feels comfortable with the new Kansas City offense, one he says he not extremely different that what he ran at Florida State. During Sunday's practice, the fans in attendance called out "Snooooop" whenever Minnis caught a pass. He said that made him feel at home in his new surroundings

One thing that has bothered me for the last few years about the KC fans, has been that we wouldn't get behind our team when the times were tough. I know that I will receive a little static about what a true fan is and what your rights as a fan are. But none the less, I personally have been disappointed. Who cares, right? They get paid bug bucks to get in there and do a job. It is part of being a professional, right? Well, to a degree that is correct. But the world isn't black and white, and football is no exception. This is an example of someone who responds to positive reinforcement. I would be willing to bet, that this person will be more willing to bust his butt for the fans. As the 12th man we too have a responsibility. It is our job to inspire good play from our team. It is easy to cheer when we are winning. We should be just as loud when we are losing.

Because of the new people that will be wearing Red and Gold this year, it gives us, the fans a new opportunity. We have been given a clean slate. we have also been given a team that we can get behind.

It is said that the type of person you are is directly reflected by the way you handle change. I was proud of having the best home field advantage in the NFL.

I hope with the change at QB and with the old coaches gone, that we can come to a common conclusion. One where the 12th man is a factor.

Dan

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 03:50 PM
It is our job to inspire good play from our team.

It is also the job of the team to inspire us to cheer them on. It cuts both ways.

Phobia
04-30-2001, 03:56 PM
Well written, Dan. I agree with you!

CrazyHorse
04-30-2001, 03:58 PM
Interesting. So what you are saying is that you are reactive, not proactive? That is unfortunate. I am a leader by nature. It is hard for me to see your point. But because it is so common, I will assume it is valid.

Dan

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 04:01 PM
Dan,
I agree that it is good to be proactive, but if the team is playing like cr@p then it is kinda hard to muster up a great big "LET"S GO TEAM!!!". As I said, it cuts both ways. It is a double edged sword if you will.

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 04:03 PM
Just for the record this past season towards the end many fans (on this board anyways) were wanting the team to lose the rest of the games so as to get a better draft pick, I was dead set against this. I NEVER want my team to lose and will always cheer for them to win, even when it is hopeless.

CrazyHorse
04-30-2001, 04:14 PM
Raiderhader, I can appreciate your position. However, I still contend that we should have been behind our team more than we were. I remember the Colts game last season. It was the 1st game of the year. The Chiefs ran 6 run plays in a row. The boos were plenty. I understand that the play calling was bad. But the entire team takes that personal. I cannot remember a Chiefs team that played so horribly that we should have been booing them 3 minutes into the 1st game of the year. Sure, there should be a line where bad play and boos should come into play. I just disagree with where the line has been drawn.

No offense

Dan

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 04:23 PM
Dan,
I agree totaly that 3 minutes into the first game of the season is not the time to start booing. That is ridiculous (actually I wouldn't boo at all unless the situation was REALLY bad). I do understand why they did it, and it was a carry over from the previous year, but the timing still wasn't right. I agree that there are lines that need to be drawn and that right now they aren't drawn in the right places.

old_geezer
04-30-2001, 04:27 PM
Dan

I agree with your major premise but disagree with the example you just used. It basically is a new team and we should cheer them on even if they make some early mistakes.

That being said; if the coaches call six running plays in a row to start the season again, I expect to hear a lot of boos. I believe the players knew the play selection was being booed, not the players. That should have been obvious to anyone watching or playing the game.

stevieray
04-30-2001, 04:49 PM
Not enough appreciation. This country oozes that in all phases of life.

Being from out of town, it would make no sense to travel to a game, just to boo. Of couse the game is going to mean more to me, I don't have the oppurtunity to be there every Sunday. I think those that do should consider themselves EXTREMELY fortunate to have one of the, if not the, best stadium in the country. Arrowhead is magical, and the fans play a big roll in that.

The whole orginazation and the fans definitely have a clean slate. With Grunny's retirement, the team that came so close so many times is GONE. Makes me a little melancholy. For the players, like Grunnny, Szott, etc. for all the emotions of hope and despair. But most importantly, the excitement , adrenalin and pride that I felt every time I sat down to watch the Chiefs play.

I'm glad we are looking up at the division, that means only one way to go. UP. This team is bigger, faster, stonger than Marty's teams. We have possibly the first thousand yard back since Okoye....Nine years, count'em.

I was paranoid this off season, but not anymore, we'll be respectable, and we might surprise a few people along the way. Go Chiefs!

Rausch
04-30-2001, 05:20 PM
BRAD CAUDLE (BRAD_CAUDLE), 01/09/01 01:08 pm

Sometimes I wonder why some people are even fans of the Chiefs. This is for all of you out there who don't think Carl and Lamar want to win. For the people who think Carl just wants a paycheck and Lamar just wants to fill seats...

Guess what people, LAMAR Doesn’t NEED THE CHIEFS!!HE'S FILTY RICH! Do you really think this team brings in anywhere near as much as any of his other ventures? This is his how he spends his free time, his fun. This is what rich people do instead of collecting baseball cards or comic books or gardening or screwing around on the internet. Many owners in sports LOSE money by owning teams.

Sometimes we, as fans, don't deserve Lamar Hunt. He made
the AFC. Created it like God created man. His own doing.
His vision. He bought the Texans and moved them, Kansas
City had no football team. The chiefs were born. He's the
creator of Star Trek, he's George Lucas, Babe Ruth, Part Bill Gates, part Isaac Asimov.

We're the spoiled children of the King. We don't know how good we've had it. The playoffs aren't something special here. They're a given.

Lamar didn't sell this team when you couldn't pay a man to
sit in Arrowhead. He didn't move the team when the Bengals laughed at us. He didn't give up on us, we gave up
on him.

We don't appreciate what he's given us, and we no longer
have any loyalty. His insistance to succeed is painful to
watch. I'd give anything to see that old man hold up the
Lamar Hunt Trophy. The one you get for winning the AFC
Championchip. The one named after him. Just to see him
raise it. I'd sell out, become the Rams, or Broncos, or have a terrible defense like the Rams if that's what it takes.

I want this guy to win. To see his invenstment in us pay off. To shut us up, remember what he did for us and why.
Just once I want us to win for him. For gratitude, and
loyalty, and pride, and all those things the fans and thier team had forgotten....

CrazyHorse
04-30-2001, 05:24 PM
I feel ya!

Bravo

Dan

JOhn
04-30-2001, 06:48 PM
Jesus BRAD....

I feel like you have read my mind!!!!!

I couldn't have put it any better or wouldn't want too!!!!

Long live Lamar, And I truely hope he gets to loft that trophy several more times.

Otter
04-30-2001, 07:13 PM
Thats funny. I could have sworn I had a post here a minute ago!

Did I say somthing wrong?

tommykat
04-30-2001, 07:14 PM
Dan,
You said everything so well! I agree with you about the fans and the booing and the clean slate....Shoot I could go on and on, but just wanted to thank you for what you said and standing behind it. I too will stand behind what you are saying. A DIE HARD CHIEF FAN, I will not and can't Boo a player. I think that is so tacky when I see and hear that. We have to stand behind our team all the way or no way.

Me? All the way......LET'S GO CHIEFS.......:D

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 07:39 PM
Otter,
you had several post there. I didn't see anything wrong with them. Maybe somebody thought you were spamming. Beats the He!! out of me.

Zebedee DuBois
04-30-2001, 09:03 PM
I don't get to the games, but I can't imagine booing my own team. I might smack my forehead at certain play calls, but I think booing your own team is like giving aid to the enemy.

Zeb,
Had a sore forehead last season.

Rausch
04-30-2001, 11:44 PM
It is well known that many a player is aware of and is forced to deal with excessive crowd noise at arrowhead. The only louder stadium in the NFL is in Vikingland, and its a dome. This "12th man" actually HAS effected the outcome of games. Two years ago in our first game with defending champs Denver, third quarter, TWO false starts in a row! Two!

Now, once a body has gone so far as to admit crowd noise DOES effect in part the outcome of a game, you must then realize that NO crowd noise, or negative noise, must also effect the game. Not only do boos deminish a bit of the spirit in our beloved Chiefs, but also give a little more attitude to joe enemy who now sees that the natives are restless and can be taken out of the game.

Each person pays for a ticket. Each person has a right to chose to boo or cheer, but do be courteous enough to realize that it DOES have an effect.

Phobia
05-01-2001, 12:05 AM
I didn't whack your posts and I doubt anyone else did either. If you continue to notice it, shoot austinchief an email - there may be something wrong with the board.

Phobia
05-01-2001, 12:08 AM
I must have missed that on another board. Well put - personally, I have a reborn appreciation for Lamar. I was aware he had done all those things but sometimes the frustration in losing pushes them to the back of your head.

For the record, I've NEVER booed the Chiefs nor would I, EVER.

I did hope the Chiefs lost out after we were out of the playoffs last year but only because I attended the Bills game and witnessed firsthand their lack of spirit and motivation. I realize now that it was a pretty silly wish on my part. I just wanted to draft another impact player like TG.

CrazyHorse
05-01-2001, 05:54 AM
I remember when we played the Raiders a couple years back. When Gannon walked on the field, he was cheered. Now I can understand liking him as a Chiefs QB. I can even understand not liking Grbac, but cheering for the Raiders QB is blasphemy.

I wonder how our team felt after that episode?

Dan

Mark M
05-01-2001, 05:56 AM
I'd just like to thank Dan and Brad for putting so eloquently my thoughts on this whole deal.

Now, I'm not going to say that I've never b!tched about the team, Lamar or the moves that Carl has made. But I'm a fan and, win or lose, I'll always stand behind them.

I've been going to games for 20 years now and I have yet to boo the Chiefs for anything. Those that do have a right to, but it embarasses me and should everyone else. Dead silence is a lot more powerful.

MM
~~Dedicated.

stevieray
05-01-2001, 05:58 AM
Gee, thanks Brad and Dan...you guys are awesome.