PDA

View Full Version : Sly

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2001, 06:59 PM
I believe this season will be the determining factor if Morris will be productive in his tener with KC. HOF coach (Charlie Joiner) will show him the finer points of running routes and reading defenses.

How the Chiefs utilize the Cat will be similar to 49ers use of John Taylor in the 80's or Otis Taylor of the 60-70's Chiefs . :D

NaptownChief
04-30-2001, 08:36 PM
I sure hope Cat develops into a WR worthy of the 1st round pick we spent on him...Last year he showed some raw ability but boy was it raw...He definitely looked like a Division II product...He ran very poor routes, wasn't very skilled in positioning himself to give the QB a good target and didn't look that comfortable catching the ball away from his body....

If he doesn't work extremely hard to improve, I would not be the least bit surprised if Minnis moved ahead of him on the depth chart by the beginning of the season.

Raiderhader
04-30-2001, 08:38 PM
Well, he was a rookie last year, and you can't forget about the coaching he had either.

NaptownChief
04-30-2001, 08:46 PM
Hader,

I definitely don't think all is lost...I think there is still a huge upside to Cat and I hope it surfaces this year....I just think we were forced to address the WR position in a year that it was a pretty thin draft for recievers.That forced us to take a 2nd or 3rd round type talent at the end of the 1st round...If Morris would have been in this years draft he probably would have been available at the end of the 3rd or begining of the 4th round....

kcred
04-30-2001, 10:40 PM
I read something a while back, that the general consensus, is that WRs usually take 2, sometimes 3 years to develop. I think there is time for Sly, but early reports from the mini camps were dubious.

Gaz
05-01-2001, 04:53 PM
The general consensus on Morris at the time was that he had tons of potential but was still raw. We should therefore not be surprised when this turns out to be true.

One season is pretty quick to give up on a player who was touted as a project from the very beginning.

xoxo~
Gaz
Exhibiting a rare attack of patience.

keg in kc
05-01-2001, 05:06 PM
I was under the impression that SlyMo is nursing some sort of rib problem (A.I.R.), so I wasn't expecting much at camp at this point. I disagree with much of what I've heard on boards lately, and I think the staff is fairly high on him and expecting him to shoulder a fair share of the load next season. I'd assume they know his weaknesses better than we, and they'll find a way to either improve them, or they will give him a role in the offense that emphasizes his strengths, and IMHO you just can't downplay the effect that a 6'3 receiver with deceptive speed has on the coverage schemes.

Also, let's not lose sight of the fact that we're here expressing concern over the development of a guy who caught 48 passes with a 14 yard average, not exactly what I'd call a first year bust, especially considering that he's the #3 option behind Gonzo and DA...

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2001, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by jl80
...He definitely looked like a Division II product...

You mean like Jerry Rice?

milkman
05-02-2001, 07:16 AM
Nap,
Let's also remember that Sly was nursing injuries to both thumbs throughout the second half of last season, so it shouldn't be surprising that he wasn't comfortable catching the ball away from his body.

Hiring Charlie Joiner as recievers coach is move I can definitely get behind.

NaptownChief
05-02-2001, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Pitt Gorilla

You mean like Jerry Rice?

Pitt,

I'm not sure I understand your post....Reading your post at face value you are implying that Jerry Rice is the norm for D II as opposed to the rare exception....

Sweetness also played D II and came in the league ready but he was a far cry for the normal D II running back....For that matter he was a far cry from any RB IMO.

milkman
05-02-2001, 08:23 AM
Nap,
Rice was an exception, no question. But as you may, or may not recall, he had a lot of dropped balls his rookie season.
Now I'm not comparing Sly to Rice, but the potential for Sly to become an outstanding receiver, and another exception, is there. It's really up to him, and how much he wants it.

WisChief
05-02-2001, 08:27 AM
Going out on a limb here - but didn't Sly have the best season of any rookie drafted last year? Best as in TD's, YPC and Receptions?

NaptownChief
05-02-2001, 08:27 AM
Milk,

I hope like hell that he turns into something special...But my optimism is guarded....His numbers look almost identical to Tim Barnett's rookie numbers...I probably don't need to remind anyone on how that turned out.

Even though I am a biased fan I still try to be as realistic and objective as possible...Most people have their blinders on so tight that everything on their favorite team is nothing short of great and come out attacking anyone who contradicts their lopsided opinion.

NaptownChief
05-02-2001, 08:29 AM
Wis,

That would be Darrell Jackson of Seattle....As I mentioned earlier, it was a very thin draft for WR's....Especially when compared to this years draft which was one of the deepest WR's drafts of all time.

WisChief
05-02-2001, 08:31 AM
jl - gotcha! I just remembered reading at some point last year he was leading them all. (probably the day after the SD game - DOH!!!)

milkman
05-02-2001, 08:34 AM
Nap,
If you have been reading my posts, then you know that I am very skeptical about these Chiefs. Some would say negative. I just consider myself to be realistic.
But I do believe that Sly will become what we all think he can be, because of the type of person he appears to be, and because of Charlie Joiner.