PDA

View Full Version : Freed Guantanamo inmates take up arms

Cochise
07-30-2007, 10:09 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/28/jmWORLDguantan_narrowweb__300x381,0.jpg

(Abdullah Mehsud, a former Guantanamo Bay inmate, talks on a radio at an undisclosed location in the tribal region near the Afghan border.
Photo: Reuters)

Freed Guantanamo inmates take up arms
July 28, 2007

AT LEAST 30 former Guantanamo Bay detainees have been killed or recaptured after taking up arms against allied forces following their release.

They have been discovered mostly in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but not in Iraq, a US Defense Department spokesman told The Age yesterday.

Commander Jeffrey Gordon said the detainees had, while in custody, falsely claimed to be farmers, truck drivers, cooks, small-arms merchants, low-level combatants or had offered other false explanations for being in Afghanistan.

"We are aware of dozens of cases where they have returned to militant activities, participated in anti-US propaganda or engaged in other activities," said Commander Gordon.

His comments follow the death this week of Taliban commander and former detainee Abdullah Mehsud, who reportedly blew himself up rather than surrender to Pakistani forces. In December 2001, Mehsud was captured in Afghanistan and held at Guantanamo Bay until his release in March 2004. He later became the Taliban chief for South Waziristan.

Commander Gordon said the US did not make it a practice to track detainees after their release, but it had become aware through intelligence gathering and media reports of many cases of released detainees returning to combat.

"These former detainees successfully lied to US officials, sometimes for over three years," he said. "Common cover stories include going to Afghanistan to buy medicines, to teach the Koran or to find a wife. Many of these stories appear so often, and are subsequently proven false, that we can only conclude that they are part of their terrorist training."

An analysis of 516 Guantanamo detainees found that while there was no evidence linking six of them to terrorist activities, 95 per cent were a potential threat to US interests. This was based on their affiliations with groups such as al-Qaeda, their enthusiasm for violent jihad, their having undertaken small-arms training or having been willing to perform a support role for terrorism.

But only one in three could be definitely identified as a fighter for the Taliban, al-Qaeda or associated groups, according to the analysis by the Combating Terrorism Centre based at the West Point Military Academy.

Most were considered a greater than potential risk due to support they had shown the Islamist cause by fighting for Islamist forces or by undertaking advanced military training, including bomb-making.

The review does not include the so-called "Australian Taliban", David Hicks, who has pleaded guilty to terrorist offences. It was undertaken after an analysis by Seton Hall University, a private university in New Jersey, of the detainee system found only 8 per cent of detainees were al-Qaeda fighters.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/freed-guantanamo-inmates-take-up-arms/2007/07/27/1185339258055.html

StcChief
07-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Surprise Surprise Surprise. /gomer pyle

Mr. Kotter
07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
America and George Bush DROVE these men into the arms of terrorists....our policies have CREATED these terrorists!!!

Taco John
07-30-2007, 12:54 PM
"We are aware of dozens of cases where they have returned to militant activities, participated in anti-US propaganda or engaged in other activities," said Commander Gordon.

What does that even mean? Participated in anti-US propaganda or "engaged in other activities."

Who cares?

This is the guy you guys are shaking in your boots about:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/28/jmWORLDguantan_narrowweb__300x381,0.jpg

This guy is a schmuck. I don't care if he participates in anti-US propaganda or "engages in other activities." It's great news if he's one of their militants. Good lord, how much could this guy really get accomplished?

I'm all for protecting America, but if this is the guy we're protecting it from, then mission accomplished. We've won this thing.

Sully
07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
I'd be interested to know what "participating in anti-US propaganda" means, as well. Ostensibly, if one of these guys were to go back and speak in an interview about the horrors of being wrongly imprisoned, someone with an agenda could spin that into "anti-US propaganda."
Obviously I'm not saying that's all there is, but I'd be interested in hearing about the specifics.

Fishpicker
07-30-2007, 01:09 PM
What does that even mean? Participated in anti-US propaganda or "engaged in other activities."

Who cares?

This guy is a schmuck. I don't care if he participates in anti-US propaganda or "engages in other activities." It's great news if he's one of their militants. Good lord, how much could this guy really get accomplished?

I'm all for protecting America, but if this is the guy we're protecting it from, then mission accomplished. We've won this thing.

dude, he's dangerous... he has undertaken advanced military training. he completed the obstacle course and the monkey-bar time trial. Plus Al Qaeda has tae kwon do trainers in the camps. think about other special forces...they cant compete with that. British S.A.S. dont do tae kwon do. French GIGN dont have tae kwon do. German GSG9 dont do it either. We're so screwed if we cant stop this AQ mastermind.

BIG_DADDY
07-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Who cares?

This is what happens when you fight PC wars.

alanm
07-30-2007, 01:34 PM
This is what happens when you fight PC wars.
I would have been fine with it if they'd of just shot them upon capture seeing as how their not uniformed combatants. I doubt we're taking very many prisoners anymore anyway. :shake:

Radar Chief
07-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Who cares?

So, who is that?

Duck Dog
07-30-2007, 01:45 PM

Who cares?

Everyone of the hijackers looked like bumbling idiots too.

Cochise
07-30-2007, 01:45 PM
So, who is that?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3745962.stm

Abdullah Mehsud, who Pakistani officials say is dead, was a Taleban veteran of Guantanamo Bay who became one of Pakistan's most wanted Islamic militant leaders.

Mehsud, 33, spent 25 months in custody at the US base in Cuba before his release in March 2004.

He commanded militants who kidnapped two Chinese engineers in Pakistan's South Waziristan region shortly after his release.

One of the Chinese men was killed during a rescue bid by Pakistani forces.

As a young man, Mehsud fought for the Taleban against the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan.

He lost a leg in a landmine explosion a few days before the Taleban took Kabul in September 1996.

He surrendered along with several thousand fighters to the forces of Uzbek warlord, Abdul Rashid Dostum, in December 2001 in Kunduz, northern Afghanistan, and was later turned over to the US military authorities.

Mehsud studied at a government college in Peshawar before attending a seminary where he befriended Afghan Taleban members and joined their movement.

BIG_DADDY
07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I would have been fine with it if they'd of just shot them upon capture seeing as how their not uniformed combatants. I doubt we're taking very many prisoners anymore anyway. :shake:

Just friggen shoot em already

Duck Dog
07-30-2007, 01:53 PM

Abdullah Mehsud, who Pakistani officials say is dead, was a Taleban veteran of Guantanamo Bay who became one of Pakistan's most wanted Islamic militant leaders.

Mehsud, 33, spent 25 months in custody at the US base in Cuba before his release in March 2004.

He commanded militants who kidnapped two Chinese engineers in Pakistan's South Waziristan region shortly after his release.

As a young man, Mehsud fought for the Taleban against the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan.

He lost a leg in a landmine explosion a few days before the Taleban took Kabul in September 1996.

He surrendered along with several thousand fighters to the forces of Uzbek warlord, Abdul Rashid Dostum, in December 2001 in Kunduz, northern Afghanistan, and was later turned over to the US military authorities.

Mehsud studied at a government college in Peshawar before attending a seminary where he befriended Afghan Taleban members and joined their movement.

Seems harmless to me.
:rolleyes:

Radar Chief
07-30-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks Cochise, but I don’t think you understand. Kidnapping doesn't make him dangerous because Taco found a picture that makes him look puffy. ;)

go bowe
07-30-2007, 02:48 PM
puffy, plump...

what does it matter?

there's something wrong with this system and they need to get it fixed...

releasing terrorists to kill again just doesn't seem like such a good idea...

i think we should run them through the legal system here and let bubba introduce him to anal sex for 25 years or so...

Taco John
07-30-2007, 02:51 PM

So why isn't China more involved?

BIG_DADDY
07-30-2007, 02:53 PM

WTF difference does it make and what does that have to do with the fact that you were trying to make him look like a harmless POS?

You post some weird ass shit these days dude.

StcChief
07-30-2007, 02:54 PM

So why isn't China more involved?their regard for human life is less?

Taco John
07-30-2007, 02:54 PM
I think he is a harmless POS. He's dead.

Taco John
07-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Look, I don't understand why I should care that Pakistan had this moron running around, whether he was in Guantanamo or not. I have no doubt that Guantanamo had some bad guys in it, and probably still does. But I could care less if Bumble**** Abdullah is running around Pakistan kidnapping Chinese people. It's not our problem. It's our gracious ally Pakistan's problem... Oh by the way - Pakistan wont allow us in there to do anything about it.

BIG_DADDY
07-30-2007, 03:05 PM
I think he is a harmless POS. He's dead.

No shit :rolleyes: That wasn't the point either. You are becoming as big of a waste of time as Denise.

BIG_DADDY
07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Look, I don't understand why I should care that Pakistan had this moron running around, whether he was in Guantanamo or not. I have no doubt that Guantanamo had some bad guys in it, and probably still does. But I could care less if Bumble**** Abdullah is running around Pakistan kidnapping Chinese people. It's not our problem. It's our gracious ally Pakistan's problem... Oh by the way - Pakistan wont allow us in there to do anything about it.

You always have refused to address the real reason we are there. In spite of that why would we ever let someone like this out? That was the nature of the problem the post was addressing. I am going to move on all you want to do is spin.

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Isn't that Hurley from Lost?

Iowanian
07-30-2007, 03:32 PM
The same shit happens in Iraq all the time....Our Troops catch assholes planting bombs, with weapons and whatnot.....and 6 month later, kill the same asshole in a firefight, or catch him after he's set off an IED and killed some Americans or Iraqi Civilians....

BIG_DADDY
07-30-2007, 03:41 PM
The same shit happens in Iraq all the time....Our Troops catch assholes planting bombs, with weapons and whatnot.....and 6 month later, kill the same asshole in a firefight, or catch him after he's set off an IED and killed some Americans or Iraqi Civilians....

The reason I really wasn't for going to Iraq is I knew we try and fight a PC war. You simply can't do that.

Calcountry
07-30-2007, 04:02 PM
The reason I really wasn't for going to Iraq is I knew we try and fight a PC war. You simply can't do that.PC is destroying america.

Taco John
07-30-2007, 04:55 PM
You always have refused to address the real reason we are there. In spite of that why would we ever let someone like this out? That was the nature of the problem the post was addressing. I am going to move on all you want to do is spin.

Typical Big Catty... Gets in over his head, and resorts to name calling.

I know why we're in Afghanistan. That has nothing to do with this issue. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure why this bit of propaganda is even significant. I'd rather see this terrorist dead in Pakistan, than alive and supported by the American taxpayer in Guantanamo.

Or even better, try the assholes, convict them, and inject them...

alanm
07-30-2007, 08:09 PM

They will be now.

Hydrae
07-30-2007, 08:31 PM
They will be now.

Why now? It has been over two years since those 2 were kidnapped (one was killed).

a1na2
07-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Quote:Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY

I know why we're in Afghanistan. That has nothing to do with this issue. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure why this bit of propaganda is even significant. I'd rather see this terrorist dead in Pakistan, than alive and supported by the American taxpayer in Guantanamo.

That is ironic. You call him a name and I see nowhere in his post that indicates that you have been called a name. He indicated that your activity was spin.

ROFL

a1na2
07-30-2007, 08:34 PM

With your PC friends around the country advocating that we are holding them without cause that isn't going to happen. I hope that if there are any of them released and take out any Americans after they return to arms that those that called for their release are prosecuted for their actions.

We all know they won't be, but your whole theory is crap.

KC Jones
07-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Can't we put tracking collars on them before we release them?

a1na2
07-30-2007, 08:52 PM

I think it would be best to implant one sometime. I'm not sure how to get it done, but tracking them might lead to more to smoke when you get them.

Fishpicker
07-30-2007, 08:53 PM

that would be inhumane... we should implant RFID microchips under their skullcaps instead.

a1na2
07-30-2007, 08:57 PM
that would be inhumane... we should implant RFID microchips under their skullcaps instead.

Someone has invented the capsule that can be put implanted as ID. The military had considered those implants for military personnel but there was a large 666 argument (mark of the beast) that ensued.

If the do implant them they need to lubricate them with pork fat.

Fishpicker
07-30-2007, 09:04 PM
If the do implant them they need to lubricate them with pork fat.

where did you hear that nonsense? you don't need lube to implant a chip the size of a rice grain. pneumatic insertion.

a1na2
07-30-2007, 09:06 PM
where did you hear that nonsense? you don't need lube to implant a chip the size of a rice grain. pneumatic insertion.

Pork - Muslim = no heaven. It was a bad joke, but it was a joke.

Fishpicker
07-30-2007, 09:08 PM
heh

meh

Logical
07-30-2007, 11:14 PM
They kind of buried this deep in the story:

But only one in three could be definitely identified as a fighter for the Taliban, al-Qaeda or associated groups, according to the analysis by the Combating Terrorism Centre based at the West Point Military Academy.

Logical
07-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Everyone of the hijackers looked like bumbling idiots too.Not saying you are wrong but how do you know that they all looked like bumbling idiots? I am not even sure they have all been identified.

Logical
07-30-2007, 11:25 PM
The same shit happens in Iraq all the time....Our Troops catch assholes planting bombs, with weapons and whatnot.....and 6 month later, kill the same asshole in a firefight, or catch him after he's set off an IED and killed some Americans or Iraqi Civilians....OK I am mystified, we don't shoot Iraqies placing bombs, or worse yet if we capture them we let them go.

BIG_DADDY
07-31-2007, 11:16 AM

What name did I call you there?

I think it's pretty obvious that you are becoming the king of spin. If anyone else other than yourself thinks otherwise I would sure like to hear it.

Radar Chief
07-31-2007, 11:23 AM
What name did I call you there?

I think it's pretty obvious that you are becoming the king of spin. If anyone else other than yourself thinks otherwise I would sure like to hear it.

Labeling Teej the “king of spin” would indicate to me that he’s good at it. I disagree. ;)

Adept Havelock
07-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Labeling Teej the “king of spin” would indicate to me that he’s good at it. I disagree. ;)

I think that title has to be reserved for patteeu.

The guy spins more than a circus motorcycle rider in the sphere of death.

And he's quite good at it.

Braincase
08-01-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm not buying it. We won their hearts and minds and Gitmo. This makes it seem like they have some kind of crazy resentment towards the US after having an all-expense paid vacation in the Caribbean.