PDA

View Full Version : More Detail on the Petraeus Plan

Chief Faithful
07-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Linked below is an excerpt from an article in the New York Times about new complexes being built in Iraq to ensure a national rule of law is enforced. These are the types of details we are not privileged to know until after the fact concerning the Petraeus plan. The more I learn about the plan the more impressed I become. I hope our Congress gives it the time it needs to work.

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/30/world/middleeast/30military.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin)

The utility of the fortified complex, however, depends on more than a single high-profile case. Ultimately, it will depend on the Iraqis’ ability to expand their capacity to try cases at the complex as well as their track record in applying justice evenhandedly to Shiites and Sunnis alike.

The notion of helping the Iraqis establish protected legal enclaves is an important element of the American campaign plan prepared by Gen. David H. Petraeus and Ryan C. Crocker, the American ambassador to Iraq. The hope is that a network of legal complexes will be established in other parts of Iraq, starting with the capital of Anbar Province, Ramadi, where work is expected to begin in the next several months.