PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Anti-virus gone crazy

old_geezer
08-02-2007, 08:40 PM
A couple of days ago my computer downloaded an automatic update from McAfee. Now Windows Media Player won't work (won't even open) and my on-line banking also won't work (won't even let me open). I have restored my computer several times to a previous date and everything works fine again - until I restart my computer.

The problem is every time I restart the computer McAfee again downloads automatically whatever program is screwing with my computer programs. I have turned off automatic updates but it doesn't seem to matter. This program downloads automatically anyway every time I restart my computer. McAfee anti-virus screen shows automatic updates are turned off but the McAfee download icon starts and downloads every time. WTF?

Bearcat
08-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Go to start -> Run, and type msconfig... then scroll through the startup tab and see what is running at startup. McAfee will have several things to run at startup.

It's not the best place to play around in, so don't get too click-happy... the McAfee programs are pretty obvious though, either by the name or the path. If it's not real obvious which one is the updater, you might have to find out by process of elimination, or google each one.

I hate McAfee... it's free with my laptop. I tried the big update, but ended up reinstalling the older version from the CD. I didn't have the same issues you had, but it slowed everything down to the point it took 5 minutes from signing on to the time I could click on anything, and it completely took over Outlook without every asking my opinion of the situation. I still get the "Good news, a newer version is available!" every couple of days, but haven't looked around to see where it comes from.

the Talking Can
08-02-2007, 09:14 PM
uninstall that crap...problem solved

mikeyis4dcats.
08-02-2007, 09:52 PM
MacAfee blows. unistall it

htismaqe
08-03-2007, 07:06 AM
The McAfee virus strikes again.

Saulbadguy
08-03-2007, 07:37 AM
What's funny is McAfee is one of the best enterprise anti-virus solutions out there, IMO. The electronic policy orchestrator blows the corporate SAV out of the water.

Too bad their home product is crappy.

htismaqe
08-03-2007, 07:43 AM
What's funny is McAfee is one of the best enterprise anti-virus solutions out there, IMO. The electronic policy orchestrator blows the corporate SAV out of the water.

Too bad their home product is crappy.

Yep.

Lzen
08-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Uninstall MacAfee and install Avast. Problem solved.

www.avast.com

old_geezer
08-03-2007, 08:05 PM
First of all, thanks for all of your responses. I'm definitly of the opinion right now to uninstall McAfee and install Avast.

Question - do you use the free version or purchase the home edition?

I'm about to go crazy with my current situation. I unplugged my computer from the internet. Then I disabled McAfee's automatic download system. When I plugged the computer back into the net the damn programs instantly downloaded anyway! Then the same problems resurfaced. So I unplugged again and did a system restore and then went into the startup and "actively running" programs and disabled everything I could find with the McAfee name associated with it. Guess what? As soon as I plugged into the internet again the damned programs downloaded again (when I held the mouse over the download symbol it informed me that it was downloading several different McAfee programs even though the McAfee program informed me that "all automatic updates were disabled)

By the way, I just tried to give some rep and my #454%^5$34$$ computer won't allow me to do that either right now.

htismaqe
08-03-2007, 08:37 PM
First of all, thanks for all of your responses. I'm definitly of the opinion right now to uninstall McAfee and install Avast.

Question - do you use the free version or purchase the home edition?

I'm about to go crazy with my current situation. I unplugged my computer from the internet. Then I disabled McAfee's automatic download system. When I plugged the computer back into the net the damn programs instantly downloaded anyway! Then the same problems resurfaced. So I unplugged again and did a system restore and then went into the startup and "actively running" programs and disabled everything I could find with the McAfee name associated with it. Guess what? As soon as I plugged into the internet again the damned programs downloaded again (when I held the mouse over the download symbol it informed me that it was downloading several different McAfee programs even though the McAfee program informed me that "all automatic updates were disabled)

By the way, I just tried to give some rep and my #454%^5$34$$ computer won't allow me to do that either right now.

The free version works great. It's not stripped down or anything.

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2007, 09:27 PM
NOD32 real light, and most efficient anti-virus out there

Lzen
08-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Is NOD32 free? :hmmm:

go bowe
08-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Is NOD32 free? :hmmm:my problems with viruses went away completely after i installed avast...

best i've ever used, free...

and my thanks to all who recommended it... :toast:

Baby Lee
08-04-2007, 03:10 PM
I went with AVS from AOL, because it was powered by the Kypersky engine.
Seems to be keeping me safe, and no annoying enveighs from AOL for their other services.
Is Avast better, or just different? I'd read several places were Kypersky was the highest rated engine.

htismaqe
08-04-2007, 03:36 PM
I went with AVS from AOL, because it was powered by the Kypersky engine.
Seems to be keeping me safe, and no annoying enveighs from AOL for their other services.
Is Avast better, or just different? I'd read several places were Kypersky was the highest rated engine.

Kaspersky is probably the best commercially available engine out there.

Of course, you bought it in an AOL package, which probably means it sucks. :D

Baby Lee
08-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Kaspersky is probably the best commercially available engine out there.

Of course, you bought it in an AOL package, which probably means it sucks. :D
No, it's free. Picked it up on ZD Net's rec.

htismaqe
08-04-2007, 04:38 PM
No, it's free. Picked it up on ZD Net's rec.

It's still AOL.

Baby Lee
08-04-2007, 04:51 PM
It's still AOL.
Trying to decipher if you're being tongue in cheek, if you think AOL effed with/effed up the Kapersky engine, or if you think it coming from AOL means there's a ton of bloatware with it.

If it's the first, OK.
If it's the third, not so far as I can tell. Just their name on the main screen of the app, and their name on the 'security toolbar.'
Interested in your thoughts if it's the second, though.

old_geezer
08-04-2007, 06:34 PM
One last (hopefully) question. Can I download and try Avast with McAfee still on my computer, or do I need to uninstall McAfee first? I'd like to try it before I jump in with both feet if it's possible.

The reason I asked is because I uninstalled about half of McAfee's running programs and everything seems to be running ok now. About the only thing I have left of McAfee is the firewall.

What amazes me is that with automatic updates disabled and most of McAfee uninstalled from my computer I still got a download from the internet from McAee when I turned on my computer after I got home this evening. Everything seems to be working now though. :shrug:

htismaqe
08-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Trying to decipher if you're being tongue in cheek, if you think AOL effed with/effed up the Kapersky engine, or if you think it coming from AOL means there's a ton of bloatware with it.

If it's the first, OK.
If it's the third, not so far as I can tell. Just their name on the main screen of the app, and their name on the 'security toolbar.'
Interested in your thoughts if it's the second, though.

Yeah, just messing around. :thumb:

And I was thinking the first. I haven't seen too many things AOL could't "eff up".

Lzen
08-05-2007, 08:56 AM
geezer,
As far as I know, antivirus programs can screw with each other if you have more than one running at the same time. I would not recommend it. One program might assume the other is a virus or something ( I know, sounds ridiculous - but I've heard stories).

Now, if the only MacAfee program you have installed is a firewall, that's different. A firewall is not the same thing as an AV. You should have a firewall program as well as an AV program. For instance, I have Avast as my AV and Zone Alarm as my firewall. ;) Hope that helps.

old_geezer
08-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the help and input to all who replied. I now have Avast installed and running on my "puter". McAfee is a relic of the past and everything is working again. PBJ

old_geezer
08-05-2007, 05:05 PM
OK, evidently McAfee isn't going to die so easily. I just attempted to download and install Zone Alarm for firewall protection. When it finished downloading it informed me that it had detected McAfee installed on my computer and that they were incompatable so Zone Alarm couldn't be installed.

So I exit that program and search my taskbar for any sign of McAfee - nothing is showing. Then I go to actively running programs and nothing from McAfee. Then I go to start-up programs and mcagent.exe by McAfee is listed (although it is listed as "disabled".) Then I go to control panel-uninstall programs, and see Mcafee agent (or something like that) listed. When I click the McAfee program and click uninstall, a McAfee uninstall window pops up but it is completely blank. There is nothing to click to start the un-installation. How do I get rid of it? :banghead:

old_geezer
08-05-2007, 05:52 PM
One last update; MCAfee is gone (found an uninstaller on their web site for people having problems.) and Zone Alarm is now downloaded and working. So Avast and Zone Alarm are now protecting my computer instead of McFailure. PBJ

Lzen
08-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Good to hear. I remember having McAfee many years ago on one of my first computers. It caused me many issues and was a bitch to get off my system. I see that nothing has changed with the POS software.