PDA

View Full Version : A Wake-Up Call from Luke AFB in Arizona

Programmer
08-03-2007, 01:16 PM
A Wake-Up Call from Luke AFB in Arizona

A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall. When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:
"Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell road at approximately 500 feet! Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns' early-bird special? Any response would be appreciated."

The response:

Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday):

On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship flyby of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt Jeremy Fresques. Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day. At 9 a.m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured. A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects. The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning air show?" The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives

Lt. Col. Scott Pleus

CO 63rd Fighter Squadron

Luke Air Force Base, Phoenix, AZ

Verified by http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

jAZ
08-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Well done. :thumb:

Logical
08-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Nice response by the Lt. Col.

go bowe
08-03-2007, 01:57 PM
i hope he made that letter-writing woman feel so small that she can't sit on a toilet without falling through into the shit...

Adept Havelock
08-03-2007, 03:18 PM
:clap:

An excellent response.

Brock
08-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I didn't realize our own local she-beast was travelling in the southwest.

bkkcoh
08-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Well done. :thumb:

Nice response by the Lt. Col.

i hope he made that letter-writing woman feel so small that she can't sit on a toilet without falling through into the shit...

Absolutely well put.

They aren't capable of feeling small. They are just pissed because it was an annoyance to her and that was it.

:toast:

ClevelandBronco
08-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I was at a party on July 4th and a four man formation flew low directly over our heads. They must have been taking part in a ceremony somewhere, but we were directly under their flight path.

For a while we discussed something a little more important than the beer and the brats.

Sully
08-03-2007, 06:38 PM
The high school I coach at is very close to the downtown KC airport. The great part about that is that for the week and a half before the air show they have there, the aviators practice their runs right above our football field. The Blue Angels, etc are so low above our field we stop practice from time to time simply because we cannot communicate.
However, we view it as a treat, rather than an annoyance. Nothing gets me amped up more than these flyovers, and the kids get hped about it as well. Pretty inspiring seeing how well these guys do their job.

ChiefaRoo
08-03-2007, 06:58 PM
What a dumbass. Good response.

You have got to give the complainer credit though he wrote a second letter to the editor and apologized.

Nightwish
08-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Absolutely well put.

They aren't capable of feeling small. They are just pissed because it was an annoyance to her and that was it.

:toast:Just curious, who is "they?" Afaics, there was only one complainer.

Pitt Gorilla
08-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I can almost see Skip shaking his cane toward the sky.

Amnorix
08-04-2007, 05:47 PM
1. I'm glad to say it's true.

2. it was a guy, not a woman, who complained.

3. why doesn't anyone post the apology that was also published?? The guy is a Navy and Vietnam War veteran who just didn't know about fly-bys.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

Deberg_1990
08-04-2007, 05:52 PM
3. why doesn't anyone post the apology that was also published?? The guy is a Navy and Vietnam War veteran who just didn't know about fly-bys.

I read it.

Id still say the guy was misinformed and disrespectful for a war vet. Incredible story...

At least he seemed heartfelt in his apology.

a1na2
08-04-2007, 06:17 PM
1. I'm glad to say it's true.

2. it was a guy, not a woman, who complained.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

I find it hard to believe that any veteran would be unaware of what a flyby is all about as well as not recognizing one when he saw it. The only excuse I could even conceive is that he heard the planes and did not see them.

It was good that he wrote the apology, and I also think it was heartfelt.

Nightwish
08-04-2007, 11:39 PM
I find it hard to believe that any veteran would be unaware of what a flyby is all about as well as not recognizing one when he saw it. The only excuse I could even conceive is that he heard the planes and did not see them.

It was good that he wrote the apology, and I also think it was heartfelt.
It is conceivable that he wouldn't have seen it for what it was immediately, especially if it's near a base where they routinely fly maneuvers. We have them once a week out of Lambert here in St. Louis, and often they fly in teams and in formations similar to the four-ship tribute formation, and if someone around here were to see that, but weren't in sight of a cemetery to know that a ceremony and tribute was taking place, they'd probably just think it was another normal day out for the local flyboys. On an interesting note, I've also seen British military aircraft on some of those maneuvers out of Lambert/Boeing, including the occasional stealth bomber.

bkkcoh
08-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Just curious, who is "they?" Afaics, there was only one complainer.

They are people who feel that they are inconvenienced or are annoyed by something like this. Regardless if they are for the war or not. People have to realize that there is more to life then what they are doing. Their is a greater picture that appears to be missed by quite a few people. It is truly a shame that is the case.