PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem

Demonpenz
08-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Probably my hard drive went bad. Yesterday in the middle of the night I eard this beeping. Sort of like when accidently leave something on your key board. It was coming from the tower. The computer won't load anthing i just starts and starts beeping like from the back when the sound card is. Would it be worth it to put another HD in and try to fix it? It's a dell about 4 years old. I was debating weither to buy a hd but then I would need a copy of winblowz somewhere and it is way too old to run mista vista

Fish
08-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Your computer may be trying to tell you something....

Pay close attention to the beeps, and how long/short each beep is. You may just have a component loose inside. If it were a bad HD, it would at least boot the BIOS to the point of the failing HD. You'd still see something on the screen if it were a bad HD. It would tell you "no boot device" or something like that.

Here's the list of Dell BIOS beep codes...

http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/dellbios.htm

If you can't tell which it is, just open your machine and reseat your memory, video card, sound card, etc. Usually it's the video card or a memory module. Keep trying and see what happens...

htismaqe
08-03-2007, 04:11 PM
It doesn't post at all?

Probably not your HDD. Could be your memory or motherboard.

If you shut it off and turn it back on, how many times does it beep?

What kind of computer is it?

DMAC
08-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Here is a list of beeps:

Award BIOS

One long beep: Memory problem

There could be a failure in the first bank of memory. This is hopefully just a poorly inserted module, but could also be a defective module or motherboard memory bank.

One long, then two short beeps: Video error

Possible problem with the video card, video card memory, insertion of the video card, or even the motherboard.

One long, then three short beeps: Video error

There could be a problem with the video card, video card memory, insertion of the video card, or even the motherboard.

Continuous beeping: Memory or video card problem

Memory problems are the likely culprits when a BIOS begins to beep uncontrollably.

AMI BIOS

One short beep: DRAM refresh failure

As the system attempts to refresh the memory, there is a problem. Hopefully, it is just a poorly inserted module, but could also be a defective module or motherboard memory bank.

Two short beeps: Parity circuit failure

This is a system memory problem caused while checking the parity bit on the system memory. Hopefully, it is just a poorly inserted module, but it could also be a defective module or motherboard memory bank.

Three short beeps: Base 64K RAM failure

The first bank of memory (within the first 64K to be exact) has a problem. Hopefully, it is just a poorly inserted module, but it could also be a defective module or motherboard memory bank.

Four short beeps: System timer failure

One of the timers used for controlling motherboard system functions has an error. There's either a failure of the motherboard or one of the devices on the motherboard.

Five short beeps: Processor failure

Some sort of problem related to the processor. This doesn't necessarily mean the processor is dead though because the processor runs the BIOS code. Common causes may be poor jumper settings on the motherboard or overheating problems (from overclocking?).

Six short beeps: Keyboard controller failure

Either the chip that communicates with the motherboard is bad, or the right keyboard is not properly connected.

Seven short beeps: Virtual mode exception error

This is likely a problem with the processor; it doesn't necessarily mean the processor is dead though because the processor runs the BIOS code.

Eight short beeps: Display memory failure

The frame buffer memory on the video card cannot be written to. The computer will likely continue to boot on this error, but there's a problem with the video card.

Nine short beeps: ROM BIOS checksum failure

There is probably a defective BIOS ROM chip on the motherboard.

Ten short beeps: CMOS error

There is a problem with the motherboard as it attempts to communicate with the CMOS (the memory that holds your BIOS settings).

Eleven short beeps: Cache memory error

There is likely a problem with your system's L2 cache or motherboard. Check to make sure the cache is inserted correctly and the motherboard jumpers are set properly before deciding the cache module itself is bad.

Continuous beeping: Memory or video problem

Memory problems are the likely culprits when a BIOS begins to beep uncontrollably.

Demonpenz
08-03-2007, 04:23 PM
thank you for the reply's it is a dell but i don't know the model number

htismaqe
08-03-2007, 06:42 PM
I think most of the Dell's use Award BIOS...can't remember for sure.

Demonpenz
08-04-2007, 02:41 AM
shit for me to go through all those beeps I just should drop another 500 bucks on a new computer. I will see how I feel when I get home on what to do I thank everyone. Back in the old school days I would **** around with the comp but they are so cheap they are disposible

htismaqe
08-04-2007, 07:35 AM
shit for me to go through all those beeps I just should drop another 500 bucks on a new computer. I will see how I feel when I get home on what to do I thank everyone. Back in the old school days I would **** around with the comp but they are so cheap they are disposible

ROFL

I think you'd feel differently if all it was was that the memory needed to be re-seated or something.

Lzen
08-05-2007, 09:07 AM
One other thing to check. My boys keyboard is acting screwy. When it boots up, it's as if someone is pressing the tab key (continuous beeping). All I have to do is press the tab key once and it stops. I know it is keyboard problem because it doesn't do this if I plug in another keyboard. Although your situation doesn't necessarily sound like it happened the same way, you never know. Just something else to try.

NUMBER7
08-05-2007, 09:21 AM
One other thing to check. My boys keyboard is acting screwy. When it boots up, it's as if someone is pressing the tab key (continuous beeping). All I have to do is press the tab key once and it stops. I know it is keyboard problem because it doesn't do this if I plug in another keyboard. Although your situation doesn't necessarily sound like it happened the same way, you never know. Just something else to try.

May be as simple as the CMOS battery. Try changing that out first. It recently happened to me. My old computer had the same type beeping warning. Good Luck!