PDA

View Full Version : The Bourne Ultimatum - no spoilers

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 05:46 PM
A new standard for "action" films (though "action film" is really demeaning to this film...this has nothing in common with Die Hard et al, but you already know that if you are a fan). Holy Shit.

From the first frame to the last people are moving. The camera is moving. Shit is getting wrecked, but not in that "huge fake tits" Hollywood style. This film relentlessly follows its own internal logic. Not a a single cheesy, false, throwaway, ha-ha moment in the entire film. Absolutely remorseless.

I loved everything about this movie. And I can't say anything specific because it would be a crime to ruin it for you.

Every time there was a brief respite in the movie, the entire audience exhaled and relaxed. It makes you tense your muscles without even realizing it.

At the end, the crowd broke into applause. A crowd of 30, 40, and 50 years olds, not a bunch of dumb teenagers. And I'm pretty sure we were clapping for the experience of it, not because of the ending or the plot.

The fights and car chases are visceral like I hadn't experienced for the duration of an entire movie. I just walked in the door and in fact think I am typing this in an adrenaline rush.

Best of the series. Best of the summer. Best action anything for a while.

Go see it.

FAX
08-03-2007, 05:47 PM
That's it. I'm goin'.

FAX

Pestilence
08-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Same here. Is it necessary to know what happened in the last one?

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Caveat - I'm a cynical bastard. I hate most films, especially big budget Spider Man 3 type films. But I got sucked into this against my will. Hasn't happened in a long time.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-03-2007, 05:52 PM
You should call the studio that made it and ask for a commission check. I haven't been to a movie theatre in 2 years and am going to see this over the weekend. I'm pumped.

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Same here. Is it necessary to know what happened in the last one?

It makes a bit more interesting, but they give you enough back story to keep you in the movie.

But it is very rewarding if you have seen all 3. There are several things they do that very subtly refer back, and you might not get it. But it won't keep you from understanding the basic plot.

I want to say more about how they tie all 3 together but I can't without ruining it.

Just trust me: it is "game on" from the very first frame. Do not eat popcorn, do not talk to your friends.

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 05:54 PM
You should call the studio that made it and ask for a commission check. I haven't been to a movie theatre in 2 years and am going to see this over the weekend. I'm pumped.

ROFL

I promise this out of character for me. I've never walked out of a theatre with my blood pumping like this. I'm still jacked and it has been 15-20 minutes.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-03-2007, 05:56 PM
ROFL

I promise this out of character for me. I've never walked out of a theatre with my blood pumping like this. I'm still jacked and it has been 15-20 minutes.

I'm seriously gonna go this weekend. I enjoyed both movies to this point, I just don't get into most movies enough to go fight crowds to see them. I've been looking forward to this one, you just pushed me over the edge. I still can't help but think of Team America though, "Matt Day-Mon" LMAO

Demonpenz
08-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I can't believe the way he stabbed that person in the chest. Oh man. what a way for the bad guy to die

Pestilence
08-03-2007, 06:02 PM
It makes a bit more interesting, but they give you enough back story to keep you in the movie.

But it is very rewarding if you have seen all 3. There are several things they do that very subtly refer back, and you might not get it. But it won't keep you from understanding the basic plot.

I want to say more about how they tie all 3 together but I can't without ruining it.

Just trust me: it is "game on" from the very first frame. Do not eat popcorn, do not talk to your friends.

Cool...I'll make sure and watch the second one before I go. I own the first two...but I just never got around to watching the second one yet.

FAX
08-03-2007, 06:03 PM
I really liked Die Harder Than Ever Before. If this is a better action flick than that, I will be both surprised and pleased.

I shall not purchase the 6 dollar popcorn, however. Not because I can't afford it, but because it should be against the law to charge that much for popcorn. The last time I went to the movies (1408, I believe), my coke and popcorn bill was 12 dollars for one person. I would very much like to make the theater manager eat 84 bushels of his own popcorn.

FAX

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Cool...I'll make sure and watch the second one before I go. I own the first two...but I just never got around to watching the second one yet.

it will definetly be a richer experience if you watch the 2nd first...i highly recommend that, and you'll understand why...

scott free
08-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Cant wait, i'm a huge fan of the first 2 anyway. If TC's hype is correct, it could be the best of them all.

I would classify the Bourne flics as highbrow actioners.

Damon is perfect for the role.

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 06:06 PM
I really liked Die Harder Than Ever Before. If this is a better action flick than that, I will be both surprised and pleased.

I shall not purchase the 6 dollar popcorn, however. Not because I can't afford it, but because it should be against the law to charge that much for popcorn. The last time I went to the movies (1408, I believe), my coke and popcorn bill was 12 dollars for one person. I would very much like to make the theater manager eat 84 bushels of his own popcorn.

FAX

honestly, I'm not a big fan of the Die Hard, Schwarzendhehefgger type action "go boom" movies..this movie has a gravity and, frankly, skill that makes it hard to talk about them in the same way....

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 06:07 PM
I would classify the Bourne flics as highbrow actioners.

yeah, that's what I'm trying to say....

FAX
08-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I like all kinds of movies, Mr. the Talking Can. But, I really like Day Mon in the Bourne franchise. He plays the role perfectly and surprisingly well. At first, I didn't think he would be that good, but he's excellent. I think it's because he's so impassive and understated throughout.

FAX

scott free
08-03-2007, 06:16 PM
yeah, that's what I'm trying to say....

Yeah, this series never goes for the absolutely ridiculous stunt, lame one-liners or gratuitous explosions... just tight, intelligent & well paced story's backed up by top shelf acting.

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I like all kinds of movies, Mr. the Talking Can. But, I really like Day Mon in the Bourne franchise. He plays the role perfectly and surprisingly well. At first, I didn't think he would be that good, but he's excellent. I think it's because he's so impassive and understated throughout.

FAX

though I doubt most people will react like i did - and I'm not sure exactly why I got so wrapped up in it, I rarely do - they will still like it, I can't imagine not liking this movie...

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah, this series never goes for the absolutely ridiculous stunt, lame one-liners or gratuitous explosions... just tight, intelligent & well paced story's backed up by top shelf acting.

again, exactly....

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 06:26 PM
I'll be curious to hear other people's reactions...

FAX
08-03-2007, 06:30 PM
The beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX has agreed that we may attend this flickershow tomorrow. I shall report on our opinions, Mr. the Talking Can.

FAX

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 06:33 PM
The beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX has agreed that we may attend this flickershow tomorrow. I shall report on our opinions, Mr. the Talking Can.

FAX

I'll send a refund if you're disappointed.

I feel responsible now, lol.

Valiant
08-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Its better then the first two imo...

HolmeZz
08-03-2007, 06:58 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T23oNcCFriE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T23oNcCFriE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Deberg_1990
08-03-2007, 07:08 PM
honestly, I'm not a big fan of the Die Hard, Schwarzendhehefgger type action "go boom" movies..this movie has a gravity and, frankly, skill that makes it hard to talk about them in the same way....

The original Die Hard is still the best pure action film of all time.

ChiefFan31
08-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Just got back from the theater a few mins ago. That movie Rocked. No kidding. I enjoyed the first two, but his one is in a league of its own.

A couple times during the movie, I became aware of just how much the theater audience was into it. No one even made a peep throughout the whole movie.

I am still a bit surprised how good it was.

Sully
08-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Up till I saw this today, I enjoyed "Transformers" the most out of all the movies I've seen this morning.

This one tops it by far. The opening review is dead-on perfect.
GREAT movie.
I think you can see it if you haven't seen the first two, but you will miss a lot, especially Nicky's role.

These books were my dad's favorites back when I was growing up. This installment of the series has got me thinking I'm going to find them and start reading them from the beginning.

Deberg_1990
08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Ill be seeing this in a few days.

BTW, did Paul (Shaky Cam) Greengrass tone down his style in this one??

Sully
08-03-2007, 07:14 PM

It's worse than before. My wife nearly threw up.

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 07:15 PM

no....a big fat no....you love it or hate it, I bet...

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 07:17 PM
there is more purpose to it this time though...the scenes are very complex and detailed..several scenes with half the screen blocked, but visually things repeat in ways that made sense to me....

Sully
08-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I think this movie has one of the coolest fight scenes I can remember.

Floridafan
08-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Just got home from seeing it and it is awesome. Best Borne flick yet.

Sully, I used to wait for Ludlums books to come out when I was a lot younger and loved just about every one, they really are good. Guy had a great imagination.

Well worth the read.

JBucc
08-03-2007, 07:52 PM
So without getting into to too much detail is this clearly the last one or did they leave open the possibility for more?

Sully
08-03-2007, 08:04 PM
So without getting into to too much detail is this clearly the last one or did they leave open the possibility for more?
There are definitely some open ends.

Deberg_1990
08-03-2007, 08:41 PM
no....a big fat no....you love it or hate it, I bet...

I actually was a huge fan of United 93. I think that is a classic.

I liked the Bourne Supremecy but not quite as well as the first one.

I thought he needed to mount his camera steady just a little more. Just my opinion though....

FAX
08-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I think I know what you mean, Mr. Deberg_1990.

The "Supremacy" chase scene where Day-Mon winds up on the garbage scow, hooks himself back to street level, and escapes on the train was really difficult for me to follow due to the editing and camera movement.

I've probably seen the movie 4 or 5 times since and the scene gets better every time in terms of continuity and "viewability" if that makes sense. So, it's all there, it's just a little hard to follow the first time through.

FAX

irishjayhawk
08-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I agree with everything. Like I said: Go see this movie. It kicks ass.

Guru
08-03-2007, 10:24 PM
What do you mean "no spoiler" I thought this movie was a damn love story.

sportsman1
Just got back from it as always awesome movie, takes off from supremacy and gets better. The end completly sets up a 4th movie, even if there isnt a 4th book.

Guru
This is on HBO First Look in 5 minutes.

irishjayhawk
08-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Only thing I wish is they would have tied Julia Stiles and Bourne up. They left it as "you seriously don't remember".

2bikemike
08-03-2007, 11:32 PM
The think I disliked about the 2nd movie was the shaky camera shots. I hope the 3rd doesn't have that.

el borracho
08-04-2007, 12:10 AM
The think I disliked about the 2nd movie was the shaky camera shots. I hope the 3rd doesn't have that.
I can't even get into words how much I don't like that "effect." It's abhorrent that professionals are passing bad camera work off as a legitimate technique. Seriously, every time I see that on tv I change the channel and I refuse to go to a movie if I know they use that garbage. It is beyond awful.

Guru
08-04-2007, 12:11 AM
I can't even get into words how much I don't like that "effect." It's abhorrent that professionals are passing bad camera work off as a legitimate technique. Seriously, every time I see that on tv I change the channel and I refuse to go to a movie if I know they use that garbage. It is beyond awful.
On the Daily Show last night, Matt Damon said they actually had a review in a newspaper that said they wished the director could hold the ****ing camera still in Ultimatum.

el borracho
08-04-2007, 12:27 AM
On the Daily Show last night, Matt Damon said they actually had a review in a newspaper that said they wished the director could hold the ****ing camera still in Ultimatum.
Well, I won't be going to see that, then.

Guru
08-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Well, I won't be going to see that, then.

As long as it entertains I can live with the camera thing. Hell I sat through Blair Witch. Now that is enough camera movement to make you sick.

come to think of it, that movie lulled me to sleep it was so horrible.

el borracho
08-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Blair Witch was all-around bad. It was like a slightly spooky episode of Seinfeld- a show about nothing.

sportsman1
08-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Its not as bad in Ultimatum. Its slightly better. They also do a good job of the up close shots in the more crowded corridors.

beavis
08-04-2007, 03:36 AM
Doesn't come out here for another 2 weeks. :banghead:

Sure-Oz
08-04-2007, 08:47 AM
My gf and I are having a "Bourne" night tonight at her pad, watching Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremecy tonight on her new hd tv with tons of food/alchy (mainly for me haha) and tomorrow going to see it in the afternoon. I am pretty stoked about it. 94% on Rottentomatoes.com

Deberg_1990
08-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Greengrass is one hell of a director. But he needs to learn to tone his style down just a tad. I think its not just the shaky cam but its that with the combination of the frenetic editing as well.

Hes actually not a typical action director at all. His background is in documentarys.

I actually do like the gritty realism he brings to the movies, but that shaky cam stuff could be toned way down.

KCFalcon59
08-04-2007, 09:59 AM
I want to take the kids with me today. Is there anything that would prevent me from taking them, ie nudity, extreme gore.....?

Deberg_1990
08-04-2007, 10:09 AM
I want to take the kids with me today. Is there anything that would prevent me from taking them, ie nudity, extreme gore.....?

The other two didnt have any of that. Extreme violence...yes

FAX
08-04-2007, 10:33 AM
I shall report from Day-Mon camp after this afternoon's matinee.

FAX

the Talking Can
08-04-2007, 10:36 AM

the violence is very intense...not gory, but visceral...like bones snapping etc....its an adult film, imho, unlike say the latest Die Hard which is obviously targeted at a wider age range....

Baby Lee
08-04-2007, 01:25 PM
One odd thing, not about the film's merits, but I was at Borders and they're marketing the original Bourne Ultimatum book with Damon's face on the cover. Only thing, I haven't seen a single thing in the coverage that could POSSIBLY come from the book, which is about Bourne in his 50s and out of the game for a while protecting his family and getting his sea legs back.

Deberg_1990
08-04-2007, 04:46 PM
unlike say the latest Die Hard which is obviously targeted at a wider age range....

Yippe Ki Ay Mother *BANG*

God that pissed me off...

Fried Meat Ball!
08-04-2007, 04:51 PM
I read one review on Bourne Ultimatum that described it as a study of kinetic energy.

I'll be seeing it next weekend.

the Talking Can
08-04-2007, 04:54 PM
I read one review on Bourne Ultimatum that described it as a study of kinetic energy.

I'll be seeing it next weekend.

it's more that than a "story" in traditional sense...usually the camera observes and frames the action, here it is integral to the action itself....

Fried Meat Ball!
08-04-2007, 05:30 PM
it's more that than a "story" in traditional sense...usually the camera observes and frames the action, here it is integral to the action itself....
As a filmmaker, I'd argue that the camera and lighting are frequently as much a part of the "story" as the actors and script. Camera angles and lights and shadows reveal what the storyteller (director) wants you to know at that time.

Hitchcock was a master of this... more recently, M. Night Shyamalan has used this type of visual storytelling with tremendous skill.

Deberg_1990
08-04-2007, 05:33 PM
As a filmmaker, I'd argue that the camera and lighting are frequently as much a part of the "story" as the actors and script. Camera angles and lights and shadows reveal what the storyteller (director) wants you to know at that time.

Hitchcock was a master of this... more recently, M. Night Shyamalan has used this type of visual storytelling with tremendous skill.

BTW, Fire Me, Have you seen Zodiac??

I watched it the other day on DVD and was blown away. Granted, im a huge Fincher fan, but it was like he upped his game for this one.

It was just spectacular in every way i thought. Im not sure ill see a better movie this year...

FAX
08-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Great movie. Very entertaining. I give it a minus 3 and a half p*ssy farts.

FAX

KCFalcon59
08-04-2007, 05:57 PM
A new standard for "action" films (though "action film" is really demeaning to this film...this has nothing in common with Die Hard et al, but you already know that if you are a fan). Holy Shit.

From the first frame to the last people are moving. The camera is moving. Shit is getting wrecked, but not in that "huge fake tits" Hollywood style. This film relentlessly follows its own internal logic. Not a a single cheesy, false, throwaway, ha-ha moment in the entire film. Absolutely remorseless.

I loved everything about this movie. And I can't say anything specific because it would be a crime to ruin it for you.

Every time there was a brief respite in the movie, the entire audience exhaled and relaxed. It makes you tense your muscles without even realizing it.

At the end, the crowd broke into applause. A crowd of 30, 40, and 50 years olds, not a bunch of dumb teenagers. And I'm pretty sure we were clapping for the experience of it, not because of the ending or the plot.

The fights and car chases are visceral like I hadn't experienced for the duration of an entire movie. I just walked in the door and in fact think I am typing this in an adrenaline rush.

Best of the series. Best of the summer. Best action anything for a while.

Go see it.

Just got back. What he said!!!!

Fried Meat Ball!
08-04-2007, 06:23 PM
BTW, Fire Me, Have you seen Zodiac??

I watched it the other day on DVD and was blown away. Granted, im a huge Fincher fan, but it was like he upped his game for this one.

It was just spectacular in every way i thought. Im not sure ill see a better movie this year...
Haven't seen it yet, but I will. I'm also a huge Fincher fan.

Tribal Warfare
08-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I love the music for the Bourne series too, it just brings a smile to my face

FAX
08-05-2007, 07:42 PM
It's a great theme and score, Mr. Tribal Warfare. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

On top of that, Jason Bourne would kick James Bond's ass in a fair fight.

FAX

Logical
08-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Great movie but I don't agree with tTC about it not having some unrealistic momements.

But on the Gaz scale I would give The Bourne Ultimatum 5 hoots.

Frazod
08-05-2007, 08:28 PM
I saw it yesterday. Great fun and very entertaining. A bit more unrealistic than the first two (sorry, no human could simply walk away from that much mayhem, especially the car crashes) but who gives a shit? It's BOURNE!

This will quickly find its way into the DVD collection along with the first two.

FAX
08-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Do you think there will be more?

FAX

Frazod
08-05-2007, 09:08 PM

FAX

I doubt it - there is a certain closure to this one.

Of course, that's never stopped Hollywood types from running a theme into the ground, has it?

Deberg_1990
08-05-2007, 09:10 PM

FAX

They just made another Halloween flick. As long as there is money to be made, they will continue to make sequels and remakes..

FAX
08-05-2007, 09:15 PM

Of course, that's never stopped Hollywood types from running a theme into the ground, has it?

True enough, Mr. frazod.

I think there were a total of five books, if I remember correctly. Although, only the first three or so were written by Ludlum. Personally, I like the idea of continuing the franchise and developing the character further. I wonder, though, if there are rights issues with the Bourne books not actually written by Ludlum.

FAX

Logical
08-05-2007, 09:24 PM

Of course, that's never stopped Hollywood types from running a theme into the ground, has it?I agree, seems like this was the way to end it and it should be stopped here. We can hope.

PostalChief
08-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't know. It seems to me that there could be motive for a retaliatory strike by the Agency.

Tribal Warfare
08-05-2007, 09:56 PM
did anyone find it interesting how they overlapped Supremecy and Ultimatum?

FAX
08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
did anyone find it interesting how they overlapped Supremecy and Ultimatum?

Very much so. That aspect of the movie dominated our conversation after we left the theater, Mr. Tribal Warfare. I also liked the way certain scenes and plot devices "echoed" or "rhymed" with the previous films.

I thought they did a great job with those techniques.

FAX