PDA

View Full Version : The Veterans just keep rolling in...

bigdaddychieffan
04-29-2001, 07:57 PM
MHM,

I think that bringing in all of these veterans could really turn out to burn you guys. Denver had a pretty good team last year, and the chemistry seemed to be ok. Bringing in new players is something that teams do every year, as we all know. But bringing in as many FA as the Donkey's have been doing could be a dangerous thing. I hope it doesn't work out.

Mile High Mania
05-03-2001, 07:30 AM
I have to admit that I'm not sure what to think about what is going on in Denver. You're all familiar with the signings and releases over the last few months in the Mile High City. I just read that Cadrez was released and with the money they saved, the Broncos signed recent starters Henri Crocket (LB Falcons) and Lee Woodall (LB Panthers).

Now, I'll admit that neither is a premier starting LB now, but neither was Cadrez... and now they have two seemingly very capable LBs for the price of one.

I'm very impressed with the amount of depth that Denver has put together at LB, DL and CB this year, adding to the strength of the RB and WR positions.

I'm just curious to watch it all shake out. I'm still hoping that Romo stays in Denver (seems like Rhodes sends him away each time they end up on the same team), but he is getting older and now there are a slew of guys ready to step in at LB. Mobley, Romo, Wilson, Gold, Woodall, Crocket... Each of those guys could be starters in the NFL.

I read on the DPO that Cadrez is trying to get a deal done with KC... I like him and he would be a good pickup for you guys.

I'm hoping that all of these guys don't create any chaos when the actual 'starters' are named, but it looks like they should all get plenty of playing time in rotation.

I do wish that Denver would pay a li'l more attention to the OL... yeah, they have a specific system installed and it has historically made average players look great. However, I don't see any guys at OL on their roster with the skills of a Schlereth, Jones or Swayne. I guess we'll soon find out.

mlyonsd
05-03-2001, 07:44 AM
Yea, you have to keep your eye on Denver, that shifty bug eyed coach is pretty sneaky most of the time.

Did Cadrez start for you guys? I should know that answer cause your defense was on the field most of the time the last several games we played each other.

WisChief
05-03-2001, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Mile High Mania
I do wish that Denver would pay a li'l more attention to the OL... yeah, they have a specific system installed and it has historically made average players look great. However, I don't see any guys at OL on their roster with the skills of a Schlereth, Jones or Swayne.

Funny stuff here - I guess chop blocks do make guys look great! he he :D DOH!!!

Red Storm
05-03-2001, 07:52 AM
The Donks have aquired a lot of vets, but it seems like a lot of cast offs. It will be tough on team chemistry and by the time things get worked out ( if they do?) they will be playing for Texas or retiring. And most of those guys were former leaders and which brings up another point, will they even be coachable?

Mile High Mania
05-03-2001, 07:57 AM
WisChief... I didn't see the NFL handing out fines to the Broncos for their techniques and I've basically read and heard nothing other than praise towards their blocking system. So, if the NFL is cool with it, then who am I to judge?

Lyons... you may get to see the second coming of that defense this year with the redNgold. :-) Robinson, Crocket, Cadrez...

Cadrez started a few games... he was in Denver for about 4 years.

mlyonsd
05-03-2001, 08:05 AM
I know Brad, just been a while since I gave you any do-do.

Actually any defense we put on the field will be better without Kurt in the box.

Mile High Mania
05-03-2001, 08:19 AM
Very true...

WisChief
05-03-2001, 08:32 AM
MHM - just carrying on the same old song and dance you've graciously put up with for some time now...

:D

spe725
05-03-2001, 08:48 AM
MHM, I saw this on Fanball.com, what's your take?

WED, MAY. 02, 14:29 CST
Broncos: Terrell Davis Can't Run Yet

The News
According to ESPN.com, Terrell Davis will not take part in this weekend's minicamp because of lingering problems with the stress fracture in his leg. Davis has been on the shelf for several months with a stress fracture in his lower left leg. He's been working hard in the weight room, but hasn't been able to run. Doctors say the fracture is healing, but they think it's too early to resume running. Davis thinks he'll be ready for the regular season, but for now, he'll continue to rest, rehab, and prepare for the Broncos' throwing camp in June.

Our View
Davis says it's nothing to worry about, but he is lying to himself -- and us. After two lost seasons, the fact that he still cannot run IS something to worry about. In fact, it's something over which to lose sleep. He was one of the most dominant backs in league history when healthy, but, sadly, those days are behind him. It's a good thing the Broncos have Mike Anderson, who is the best fantasy pick from Denver's backfield entering the 2001 season. Olandis Gary, their other halfback, is recovering from ACL surgery.

Mile High Mania
05-03-2001, 09:05 AM
Wis... I know. It's all good.

The news about Davis is depressing. He was and is a class act. I hope he can play again.

redhed
05-03-2001, 09:59 AM
But it's too darn bad he had to play for the Evil team. He should retire, 'cuz he probably won't be even close to what he was before he got hurt.
Anderson doesn't suck, so the donx should be fine.

Mark M
05-03-2001, 11:57 AM
Denver's amassing some incredible depth. They don't seem to have any "superstars" (with the exception of R. Smith and potentially Griese. Oh yeah, and whomever they throw in at RB. My mom could run for 1,000 yards behind that line.). They seem to be building so that there won't be a huge drop-off between most of their starters and the reserves. I've gotta feeling their D will be used much like the Ravens did last year—just keep cycling players in and out to keep everyone fresh.

They also seem to be signing people left and right. How many do they have on the roster now ... like 120? Kinda reminds me of Mt. Union (Div. III program where anyone who wants to be on the roster can be, regardless of size, speed or talent). They should have plenty of players to choose from.

Naturally, this drives me nuts.

MM
~~Wonders if the 4-straight streak will end this year.

JOhn
05-03-2001, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Red Storm
The Donks have aquired a lot of vets, but it seems like a lot of cast offs. It will be tough on team chemistry and by the time things get worked out ( if they do?) ............. And most of those guys were former leaders and which brings up another point, will they even be coachable?

Interisting Thought:

I seem to recall KC trying this approach, and ending up with a lot of malcontents, with few exceptions, Hasty, Allen etc...

Now why were these guys so ready to jump ship on there old teams? I mean even you stated they could be starters on most teams, so will the be content sharing time? Not trying to sling mud, but makes you wonder.

Mile High Mania
05-03-2001, 12:40 PM
Well, if you look at some of the teams that were left behind by Denver's recent FA signings... Falcons, Panthers, KC, Dallas, Tenn ... Tenn being the exception, but most of those teams aren't contending for titles. Not a slap on KC, plus we're just talking about Chester in that scenario.

Denver had a great year last year, despite personal feelings on strength of schedule.. Denver's recent playoff success over the last few years, along with Kubiak, Rhodes and Shannahan are quite attractive for FAs.

Denver has done well taking 'castoffs' and making a solid team that contends for the division crown.

JOhn
05-03-2001, 12:52 PM
MHM,
Sorry but I have yet to see many Veterans who will gladly share time with other veterans. I still think your gonna have trouble with such a lot.

Also it raises the question for the coaching staff as who to start, and if Player a slacks for a game or 2 then do we pull him? if so what does that do to chemistry?

Just think that by signing so many FA's of starting caliber that it MIGHT cause problems.

Beside which to quote the greatest football mind of all time (so he thinks) Packman...

"the only way to build a SB team is tru the draft"

Again, not trying to sling mud, heck I wish KC had your problems lol, just pointing out the "otherside".

Mile High Mania
05-03-2001, 01:49 PM
I agree... varying opinions are good, that's why I'm here... to help you guys see the light. :-) just kidding.

I agree that bringing on so many veterans could present potential ego problems, but looking at the names (other than Lett and McGlocton) the rest of the guys look like they may work well in a rotational system if that is what Denver sets in place.

Guys like Woodall were quoted as saying "I understand my role... brought in to compete for a starting job..." Typical stuff that you would hope they say. Hopefully, Shanahan and Rhodes have the reputations that make guys realize that most jobs are up for grabs and if you fall short of expectations, you're time on the field will be impacted.

It's a chance they've taken, so we'll see how it shakes out. Guys like Crockett and Woodall don't appear to be headcases, so I'm very optimistic that it will work out fairly well.

Mile High Mania
05-04-2001, 08:54 AM
to quote Limp Bizkit... "rollin, rolllin, rollin, rollin"

"Former Pro Bowl free-agent quarterback Steve Beuerlein has begun telling friends he would be surprised if he does not wind up in Denver this season. Beuerlein is expected to bypass the opportunity to become the second-string quarterback in Seattle, St. Louis or Green Bay to compete for the Broncos' second- or third-string job.

Should he sign with Denver, Beuerlein will join former New England starting fullback Tony Carter, who reached agreement Thursday on a one-year, $477,000 deal that includes no signing bonus but incentives that could earn the player another $400,000.

The latest player acquisition in what seems like a never-ending stream gives Denver three quality fullbacks: Carter, Howard Griffith and Detron Smith. More important, it signifies that, for the time being, the Broncos have no plans to move any of their three 1,000-yard rushers to fullback.
Denver's depth is bordering on the ridiculous.

In a week, the Broncos added Lee Woodall and Henri Crockett to their linebacker corps, re-signed Griffith and signed Carter, who has started 59 games over the past six NFL seasons. Essentially, the Broncos were able to lure Carter only because the free-agent market is chock full of fullbacks who can play but cannot find work. "

Hell, now I'm beginning to question the salary cap issue up in Denver. Heh-heh. If there is one thing about the NFL... you can never have enough depth.

Geez...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-04-2001, 09:40 AM
Brad,

Looks like you guys are signing a ton of people, but there's still a limit to how many you can carry on the roster at the end of camp. I agree, though, better to have a large crop with some experience to choose from, then just a group of unknowns who're specifically brought in to be TC fodder.

However, I'm still trying to figure out how you're paying for this with the Salary Cap. Even with all these guys working for league minimum (which I do NOT expect Buerlein to do), that's still a lot of jack tied up with all these players.

Cannibal
05-04-2001, 10:00 AM
I just read on one of the football sites that McCancer is going to start for the Donkey D. That by itself will cause the Donkey D to slip greatly in the rankings and will probably cost you multiple games.

Did anyone else see the draft coverage when they had that personell guy on to talk about Denver offseason moves?

He talked about how they made all these great moves, and then came Chester McGlockton. He stated that McGlockton could literally nullify all the other moves they made.

Paraphrasing...

They've made alot of great personell moves and have definitely improved their team. But one thing I don't like at all is the signing of Chester McGlockton. He's been known as a lockerroom cancer his entire career w/ Oakland and KC. He could nullify all the other moves they've made thus far. It's a shame they opened the new stadium this year only to have Chester come in and "soil" it on opening day.

I laughed my *** off at the soil comment.

Cannibal
05-04-2001, 10:05 AM
Damn mutha fugga's... I be missin that KC BBQ, aw sh!t... at least I got me some mutha fuggin rocky mountain oysters now bidges!!!

http://www.nfl.com/images/mugs00/1543.jpg

Mile High Mania
05-04-2001, 10:11 AM
r-o-t-a-t-i-o-n-a-l player...

Sure, there is a *chance* that a lot of these new guys can start... but, Rhodes won't put up with the BS quite like Robinson would have in the past.

If they had brought Chester in and proclaimed him to be their *key* acquistion, the savior of the defense... then, I would be freaking out.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the move, but what can I do?

Of all the signings this year for Denver, he is the black eye... Lett is the kick in the back, but if they don't tarnish the other signings.

gcmark
05-04-2001, 02:11 PM
I think Shannahan is a very, very good head coach/GM., but I sure don't understand some of the FA's he's signed in the last 2 years! I questioned his signing of Carter, and the defensive end from Dallas, Pittman I believe, and now McGlockton. For a man who can evaluate and find, assistant coaches and draftees, he sure can't evaluate FA's!