PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater at the Uptown in KC tonight. Who else is going?

Lzen
08-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Dream Theater is performing at the Uptown Theater in KC tonight. Who else is going? Braincase? DMAC? I will be there with my wife, my 14 yr old son (he's been getting into DT - I'm so proud :D ), and a buddy from work. Don't know much about the 2 opening bands. I downloaded some of their songs, though. They both sound decent although I think Redemption is the one that I look forward to seeing tonight (other than DT, of course).

http://www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.php#summer2007us

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/744581

All shows are Dream Theater headlining shows
with Special Guests: Redemption and Into Eternity

DMAC
08-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Nope.

Is it standing room, or do you guys have seats?

Lzen
08-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Nope.

Is it standing room, or do you guys have seats?

We have seats. I bought mine a few weeks ago.

Pushead2
08-06-2007, 11:47 AM
F Dream Theater

Molitoth
08-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Redemption rules.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/97/FullnessTime.jpg

KC Kings
08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't like listening to Dream Theater's music, but talent wise there probably aren't many bands that have more talented musicians. Unfortunately, and contrary to the article in the KC Star yesterday, Mike Portnoy will NOT be giving a clinic today at 2 at Funky Munky Music, he will only be signing autographs.

chagrin
08-06-2007, 01:53 PM
F Dream Theater

F you :evil:

chagrin
08-06-2007, 01:53 PM
We have seats. I bought mine a few weeks ago.

I expect a full report!

Lzen
08-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't like listening to Dream Theater's music, but talent wise there probably aren't many bands that have more talented musicians. Unfortunately, and contrary to the article in the KC Star yesterday, Mike Portnoy will NOT be giving a clinic today at 2 at Funky Munky Music, he will only be signing autographs.

I suppose that is good then since I was not able to make it to that. I wanted to go check him out but my coworker had a dental appt.

I understand what you're saying about DT. They are definitely not for everyone. For me, I instantly fell in love (with the music, you pervs) when I first heard "Pull Me Under" on 98.9 The Rock back in about 1992-1993. Their musicianship, virtuosity, and dedication to creating the best possible music that they are capable of is what makes them great. They have been numero uno on my fav. bands list for 15 years. ;)

Lzen
08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Molitoth,

I have downloaded a couple Redemption songs from Itunes. Plus, they have streaming samples on their website. They sound like a good band.

Chagrin,
I will give a report of what a great time I had. Sry about the whole confusion of this concert. I really was originally planning to go up and see them in Minneapolis Thursday. We were gonna make an extended weekend out of it and go see the Chiefs just across the border in River Falls. Finances and lack of vacation time prevented us from going through with that original plan. It's probably a good thing that we didn't go up there, though, considering the chaos that bridge collapse has caused.

chagrin
08-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Molitoth,

I have downloaded a couple Redemption songs from Itunes. Plus, they have streaming samples on their website. They sound like a good band.

Chagrin,
I will give a report of what a great time I had. Sry about the whole confusion of this concert. I really was originally planning to go up and see them in Minneapolis Thursday. We were gonna make an extended weekend out of it and go see the Chiefs just across the border in River Falls. Finances and lack of vacation time prevented us from going through with that original plan. It's probably a good thing that we didn't go up there, though, considering the chaos that bridge collapse has caused.

Yeah, thanks for costing me a concert, bub :deevee:

Swanman
08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
You'll have to let me know how Into Eternity is. They're basically progressive death metal. I like their album, but there is a chance they could suck live. They come to Chicago Friday, but unfortunately Ozzfest is the same day and I'm going to that.

Mr Luzcious
08-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Man.. I completely forgot about this.. had to work anyway though.

pr_capone
08-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Was going to go but they were sold out when I found out they were going to be there.

I saw then in Dallas many moons ago... they put on a GREAT show.

Braincase
08-07-2007, 08:01 AM
So, how was it?

Took the kids to OoF yesterday, and I was done by 9:00...

Wish I could've been there, but the family came first yesterady.

Lzen
08-07-2007, 09:06 AM
First, I will say that I don't take notes like I'm sure some of our reporter types around here would at this kind of thing. If I did that, I would not be able to enjoy the concert as much. But I did make a few observations.

Into Eternity:
Very loud and very fast. Their 2 guitarists do a lot of duel(or is it duo?) type solos. The singer reminded me a lot of King Diamond. He could go very high with his voice but also do the low growling thrash vocals. The bass sounded muddy and the solos didn't stand out as much. I liked some of the duel solos and chorus vocals.
All that being said, I can only take so much of a band that is self described as progressive death metal. To me, a lot of their music sounded the same. Frankly, with how they are constantly noodling on the guitars, I was wondering how their hands/fingers didn't fall off.

Redemption:
Much more diverse than the first band. I had forgotten that their singer used to be in Fates Warning, a band that I really like. They seemed much more dynamic with good variety in their song styles. More of a typical (if there is such a thing)progressive rock/metal band.
One other thing I noticed about these guys is that some of their members looked really young (the long haired guitarist, the drummer, the bass player).
Anyhoo, I liked this band a lot. I will definitely pick up their new cd.

Dream Theater:
This is the 4th time I've seen DT in concert and every single time, I have walked away after the show absolutely amazed. I know that sounds like something a fanboy would say, but it is the truth. I don't see how anyone could not come away with the same assessment.
From the get go, DT puts everything they have into their show. From the video screen to the slow buildup to the lighting and of course the music and their masterful stage presence. DT loves to involve their fans in their music and the fans respond.
Some songs that I remember them playing...
Off the new album - Constant Motion, The Dark Eternal Night, and In The Presence Of Enemies Pt. 1 and Pt. 2. BTW, they did both parts of that song together (it was meant to be one song but they split it up on the album - they talk about this on the documentary dvd that came with Systematic Chaos).

Other songs that I remember...
They played Surrounded, which happens to be one of mine and my wife's favorites. I was extremely happy as I had never seen them do that one live. They also did Scarred and I'm thinking I have never seen them do that live, either (but I could be mistaken on that one). Panic Attack, In The Name Of God, Blind Faith, One Last Time, The Answer Lies Within are some others that I remember.
For the encore, they did a medley of about 6 or so songs spanning several albums and it concluded with about the last 3-4 minutes of Octavarium. Very long and very cool and they got a long standing ovation (one of many throughout the night, btw) at the end.
Other thoughts:
-Portnoy's set is huge. He's got 3 bass drums and God knows how many other pieces. It's a monster.
-Speaking of monsters...During The Dark Eternal Night, they had a cartoon video of the band fighting this monster (Petrucci explains on the Systematic Choas dvd that the song is about some monster). I thought that was very cool, very creative.
-For the encore, Portnoy was wearing a #25 Kansas jersey. :thumb:
-Toward the end of the show, I noticed a woman and child standing back behind the amps next to the drums. My wife and I were wondering if perhaps these were Portnoy's or Petrucci's wife and kid.

All in all, it was a wonderful evening for me. Especially since my 14 year old was attending his first concert. For a few years, I never thought he would be interested in seeing a DT concert. He and his buddies were into the popular stuff like hip hop. However, in the last year or so, he's really been developing his musical palate. He's been getting into a lot of rock (listens to Zep, Sabbath, a lot of my collection) and been getting into DT.
While the opening acts were performing, he was getting impatient waiting for DT. I thought that was kinda funny. I told him that most main acts have an opener or two. I'm glad he went and had a good time. Now he can see what I'm always talking about. DT just blows you away.

Lzen
08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
One other note: This was the first time I had seen them in concert since I saw them on the Train Of Thought tour (2004). I really wanted to see them on the Octavarium tour 2 years ago, the Gigantour with Megadeth and Symphony X (amongst others), and the Score 20th anniversary tour last year. Sadly, they never played any shows near KC on those tours (closest was about an 8 hour drive :( ) That really had me baffled. After last night, I cannot fathom why they wouldn't play KC every tour. The house was packed and the crowd adored DT. I see no reason why they haven't played KC since 2004. Perhaps it had something to do with their old record company. Hopefully, this won't be a problem with this new label.

DMAC
08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm curious of a couple of things...

What is the average age of people at a DT concert?

Are there mosh pits?

Nzoner
08-07-2007, 05:48 PM
This is the 4th time I've seen DT in concert

I'm so jealous but glad you enjoyed it,hopefully someday soon I'll get my first opportunity to catch them.

chagrin
08-08-2007, 09:42 AM

Are there mosh pits?

no mosh pits, silly

My last DT concert, it was a range of ages from teens to folks in their 40s. It's a musician's band so you will find lots of guitarists, drummers, etc. each one I have been to, I met a ton of musicians. Sometimes you have overflow from the fans of other bands they may tour with (for example when they toured with Joe Satriani).

Lzen
08-08-2007, 10:27 AM

Are there mosh pits?

There seemed to be general floor the other 2 times I saw them at the Uptown in '02 and '04, IIRC. This time, though, it appears that it was all assigned seating. So no, there were not mosh pits.

You know, that is one of the hardest things to judge. I saw people of a wide range of ages, from teens to probably 40s/50s. If I absolutely had to narrow it down, I would guess probably most were mid 20s thru upper 30s.

chagrin,
A mosh pit would definitely have been appropriate for the first band.

Lzen
08-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow, I posted that before reading all of chagrin's post (only glanced at the first line about mosh pits). It seems we are in agreement about the ages of DT fans.

Nzoner
08-08-2007, 10:30 AM
I would've loved to have heard Octavarium in its entirety,I can't get enough of that song.

DMAC
08-08-2007, 11:03 AM
I would've loved to have heard Octavarium in its entirety,I can't get enough of that song.I have noticed you like that album a lot. Have you checked out any of their others?

In my opinion that is one of their weaker albums. Still good, but the stuff prior to it is exceptional.

ZepSinger
08-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I saw DT in '92 at the Backstage in Overland Park on a Tuesday night. That's when my band was still in heavy rotation, so security let us in the back door for free an hour before the show. 500 person capacity, they squeezed 800 in that night. Totally AWESOME. I worshipped at the Portnoy altar along with everyone else.... :wayne: :rockon:

Nzoner
08-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I have noticed you like that album a lot. Have you checked out any of their others?

In my opinion that is one of their weaker albums. Still good, but the stuff prior to it is exceptional.

Yeah,I'm familair with some of their earlier work I just have a thing about long songs with a story and Octavarium(the song) reminds of being a teenager listening to such stories as 2112.

Lzen
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Octavarium is a great song. It fits much more into 70s prog. rock than some of their other stuff. The album is very diverse, too. I think it is a good one for someone's first introduction into DT music. Awake, Train Of Thought, and even Systematic Chaos are all their heavier side. Just depends on which you prefer.

Nzoner, you should also check out Scenes From A Memory. It's a concept album. A well written story and fantastic music. I think you would like it.
Also, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (the song) is one with a story. It is actually something like 8 small songs put together and 43 minutes long.

Nzoner
08-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Nzoner, you should also check out Scenes From A Memory. It's a concept album. A well written story and fantastic music. I think you would like it.
Also, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (the song) is one with a story. It is actually something like 8 small songs put together and 43 minutes long.

Maybe someone could burn me a copy and bring it here :)

Mr Luzcious
08-10-2007, 12:05 AM

You mean like.... this? http://www.axifile.com/?5205403
password to unzip: http://flymp3.blogspot.com/

Lzen
08-10-2007, 09:49 AM

That is certainly possible. ;)

Nzoner
08-12-2007, 12:29 PM
That is certainly possible. ;)

Cool,I'll burn you one as well of some of the stuff I've been discovering.