PDA

View Full Version : DVD Audio

jiveturkey
08-06-2007, 08:54 AM
The wife just got a new rig (Acura RDX) and the stereo includes a 6 disc DVD Audio changer. A demo disc was included and the sound blew my mind. The center channel in the dash makes a huge difference. It's like the bands were performing right there in the car.

I did a little bit of research this morning but I was wondering if any of you geeks have played with this technology. Can I convert existing MP3's or CD's over to DVD-A?

KC Kings
08-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't know anything about converting, but I have a couple of DVD audio's (Eagles and one other), and it is the only thing I have ever gotten to sound as good at home as it does in the stores. My DVD player has 6 channels out so I have one dedicated line for each speaker, and they sound so good and so much better than regular CD audio, I can't believe they never caught on. Last I checked Best Buy was getting rid of their DVD Audio's due to lack of interest.

Baby Lee
08-06-2007, 10:11 AM
The wife just got a new rig (Acura RDX) and the stereo includes a 6 disc DVD Audio changer. A demo disc was included and the sound blew my mind. The center channel in the dash makes a huge difference. It's like the bands were performing right there in the car.

I did a little bit of research this morning but I was wondering if any of you geeks have played with this technology. Can I convert existing MP3's or CD's over to DVD-A?
Not sure what you're wanting, the changer to be able to play the disc, the 5.1 sound, or the higher resolution.
It looks like you unit can play DVD-Audio, DTS-CDs and regular CDs, so you should be set there. If it doesn't have MP3 playback capability, pretty much any burning program can convert MP3s to CD format.
MP3s and CDs have the resolution they have. The best you can hope for is error-free playback in that regard.
So far as converting to a 5.1 format, I dunno. Most CDs/MP3 go multichannel through the amplifier [Pro-Logic]. Does your unit have settings for 'ambiance,' Pro-Logic, Pro-Logic II, stadium, arena, cathedral, etc? Maybe there's a program out there that applies the logic and burns it to the disc, but I haven't heard of it.

One note, though it's not as high resolution, DTS-CDs are like regular CDs [in their resolution] but are also multichannel.

jiveturkey
08-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I really just wanted to convert existing CD's and MP3's over to DVD-A to ge the 5.1 and resolution out of them. I didn't think that it would be possible since they're starting off at a much lower res.

The player will play CD's and MP3's CD's so I'll have to test those out and see if the quality difference is noticeable. The quality of the system might make this a moot point.

phisherman
08-06-2007, 11:12 AM
the quality of the .wav/.mp3 files you start with determine the resolution...

merely burning a 256 kbps .mp3 will not make it sound any better if you burn it to DVD-Audio..

the true DVD-Audio discs that you have are specially mixed for multi channel systems and are of a higher quality(up to 24 bit); they didn't just put the existing mix onto a different format

DaneMcCloud
08-06-2007, 11:38 AM
The answer is no. It's impossible to take a Stereo Two Channel Master and convert it to 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound.

Multi-Channel DVD audio requires that the original source music be mixed in surround sound. That means that the original 2" tape (or Pro Tools mix) needs to be re-mixed and each instrument sent to one of the surround channels. From there, it's mixed to one of the DVD formats and the decoding process is done by your car or home stereo (if it's compatible).

jiveturkey
08-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Maybe the lack of DVD-A interest will allow me to find some good deals out there.

jiveturkey
10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
I found a list of DVD-A discs that are currently available.

http://soundblaster.com/resources/read.asp?articleid=53904&cat=1

I bought a couple off of EuroAmazon and I still can't get over the sound difference.

foxman
10-18-2007, 01:45 PM
DVD-A and SACD both are killer formats that will not survive. Some would argue that they are already dead and maybe so. I have a Denon 2900 DVD player that plays both of these formats and I have between 80-100 titles between the two formats. The newest one being Dream Theaters new release. Linkin Parks reanimator DVD-A is fabulous as well even if you don't care for Linkin Park. Porcupine Tree does some of the best Surround Music you can buy and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon has never sounded better IMO.

Glad I caught this thread, I might pop some surround music in tonight.

phisherman
10-18-2007, 03:08 PM
the flaming lips' releases, The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, sound BEAUTIFUL on dvd-audio

jiveturkey
10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
^^Where did you find Pink Floyd at?

I just bought a couple of Grateful Dead discs along with The Doors LA Woman.

Pink Floyd would be the ultimate in this format.

foxman
10-19-2007, 09:13 AM
^^Where did you find Pink Floyd at?

I just bought a couple of Grateful Dead discs along with The Doors LA Woman.

Pink Floyd would be the ultimate in this format.

Oops, DSOTM is only in the SACD format.

For most all titles here is a fantastic websight you can use as a referance or purchase from. They are a little high, but if it is made they probably have it and their service is good.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/dvdaudio.cfm

jiveturkey
10-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I found a DVDA torrent of DSOTM.

It is unbelievable. I guess that it's the original Alan Parson's quad mix and taken directly from the half inch tapes.

Guru
10-22-2007, 06:52 PM
I found a DVDA torrent of DSOTM.

It is unbelievable. I guess that it's the original Alan Parson's quad mix and taken directly from the half inch tapes.
The DTS version?

NUMBER7
10-22-2007, 07:10 PM

Software to convert from stereo to 5.1. http://www.stevethomson.ca/vi/

jiveturkey
10-23-2007, 07:13 AM
The DTS version?Yep. It's 4.1 though.

^I'll be sure to check that program out. I'm sure that it won't match the quality of a DVDA but at least I'll be getting my money's worth out of those back speakers.

Molitoth
10-23-2007, 09:04 AM
dredg released "el cielo" in DVD-Audio format, and damn is it amazing.