PDA

View Full Version : 8/6 AM Training camp recap

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
We're live! I got a couple pics to post.

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/665277.html

DMAC
08-06-2007, 11:30 AM
C.E. Wendler
WarpaintIllustrated.com Aug 6, 2007

Monday, August 6, 2007 - Morning practice, 9:08 AM - 10:30 AM

QUICK HITS –

Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe was nowhere to be seen at practice this morning.

Defensive tackle Alfonso Boone returned to practice today. He participated in every drill and started alongside Ron Edwards in KC’s base defense. I didn’t get an opportunity to watch him that closely, but it appeared he showed no ill effects from last week’s hand injury.

Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham visited defensive line drills this morning to get an up close and personal look at his linemen. He appeared particularly interested in the rope drill, and after leaving, came back once more to have a private conversation with line coach Tim Krumrie.

The Chiefs flashed a 4-4 look in 11-on-11 drills, with Kendrell Bell lining up at left outside linebacker. Derrick Johnson and Napoleon Harris manned the middle with Donnie Edwards rounding out the group.

Will Svitek saw action at right tackle for the first time since I’ve been here. Chris Terry sat out practice.

Here’s your linebacker depth chart, for now:

LOLB
1. Derrick Johnson

2. Keyaron Fox

3. Brian Crum

MLB
1. Napoleon Harris

2. William Kershaw

3. Nate Harris (back on the field today)

ROLB
1. Donnie Edwards

2. Kendrell Bell

3. Rich Scanlon

PLAYS OF THE DAY

Kansas City’s wide receivers didn’t get much action today, but rookie Brad Ekwerekwu made an impressive play, hauling in an over the shoulder catch and beating linebacker Keyaron Fox for a 20-yard gain near the left sideline after running a drag route across the field.

Rookie Ean Randolph also made an impressive play, gaining about 25 yards on a pass from Damon Huard down the right sideline. Had the play come during a live game, however, safety Greg Wesley would have surely sent the receiver flying with a massive hit.

Jarrad Page nearly got himself an interception today. He was in position when Brodie Croyle fired high over the middle and the ball fell just beyond the reach of his outstretched hand.

WHO’S HOT

Derrick Johnson. I watched the linebackers closely today and the third-year pro was all over the place. He was an inch from intercepting a pass on a short route over the middle, came screaming into the left flat to slap away a pass intended for Kris Wilson later, and knocked down another pass near the end of practice. When quarterbacks dumped the ball short, he was right there to make the tackle. The Chiefs didn’t run the ball much this morning, so I’m eager to get another look at him this afternoon.

The Chiefs unwisely attempted to block Tamba Hali with tight ends during several plays today. The second-year defensive end went outside and blew past Keith Willis for a sack on one snap and then beat him inside and penetrated to disrupt another play. Later, he out-muscled Mike Pinkard and put some heat on the quarterback.

WHO’S NOT

I’m still not seeing anything to get excited about from Kendrell Bell, especially when he plays rush end. Offensive tackle Herb Taylor didn’t let him sniff a quarterback today, and when Bell lined up at left end, Kevin Sampson handled him easily, too. He just doesn’t have a very quick first step, and once a lineman gets their hands on him it’s over.

PRIEST WATCH

Never, ever doubt Priest Holmes folks. Today he was in pads, running through the car-wash drill and taking handoffs. Afterwards he spoke with the media. Check the board for some photos.

OVERHEARD:

“Roll your hips! Don’t be a skater! Penetration!” – Defensive line coach Tim Krumrie, enthusiastically working with his troops.

“What you doin’ over there, six-nine? You only been at it for three minutes! You tired already?” – Head coach Herm Edwards, poking fun at Jared Allen.

SITTING OUT:

Chris Bober, Jason Dunn, Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez, Chris Terry and Greg Hanoian sat out today. This is the third practice in a row Bober has missed.

crazycoffey
08-06-2007, 11:34 AM
nice one!
holmes on his way in the lineup and Hootie will be on his way out of ChiefPlanet's lineup.

King_Chief_Fan
08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
C.E. Wendler
WarpaintIllustrated.com Aug 6, 2007

Monday, August 6, 2007 - Morning practice, 9:08 AM - 10:30 AM

QUICK HITS –

Defensive tackle Alfonso Boone returned to practice today. He participated in every drill and started alongside Ron Edwards in KC’s base defense. I didn’t get an opportunity to watch him that closely, but it appeared he showed no ill effects from last week’s hand injury.

Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham visited defensive line drills this morning to get an up close and personal look at his linemen. He appeared particularly interested in the rope drill, and after leaving, came back once more to have a private conversation with line coach Tim Krumrie.

The Chiefs flashed a 4-4 look in 11-on-11 drills, with Kendrell Bell lining up at left outside linebacker. Derrick Johnson and Napoleon Harris manned the middle with Donnie Edwards rounding out the group.

Will Svitek saw action at right tackle for the first time since I’ve been here. Chris Terry sat out practice.

Here’s your linebacker depth chart, for now:

LOLB
1. Derrick Johnson

2. Keyaron Fox

3. Brian Crum

MLB
1. Napoleon Harris

2. William Kershaw

3. Nate Harris (back on the field today)

ROLB
1. Donnie Edwards

2. Kendrell Bell

3. Rich Scanlon

PLAYS OF THE DAY

Kansas City’s wide receivers didn’t get much action today, but rookie Brad Ekwerekwu made an impressive play, hauling in an over the shoulder catch and beating linebacker Keyaron Fox for a 20-yard gain near the left sideline after running a drag route across the field.

Rookie Ean Randolph also made an impressive play, gaining about 25 yards on a pass from Damon Huard down the right sideline. Had the play come during a live game, however, safety Greg Wesley would have surely sent the receiver flying with a massive hit.

Jarrad Page nearly got himself an interception today. He was in position when Brodie Croyle fired high over the middle and the ball fell just beyond the reach of his outstretched hand.

WHO’S HOT

Derrick Johnson. I watched the linebackers closely today and the third-year pro was all over the place. He was an inch from intercepting a pass on a short route over the middle, came screaming into the left flat to slap away a pass intended for Kris Wilson later, and knocked down another pass near the end of practice. When quarterbacks dumped the ball short, he was right there to make the tackle. The Chiefs didn’t run the ball much this morning, so I’m eager to get another look at him this afternoon.

The Chiefs unwisely attempted to block Tamba Hali with tight ends during several plays today. The second-year defensive end went outside and blew past Keith Willis for a sack on one snap and then beat him inside and penetrated to disrupt another play. Later, he out-muscled Mike Pinkard and put some heat on the quarterback.

WHO’S NOT

I’m still not seeing anything to get excited about from Kendrell Bell, especially when he plays rush end. Offensive tackle Herb Taylor didn’t let him sniff a quarterback today, and when Bell lined up at left end, Kevin Sampson handled him easily, too. He just doesn’t have a very quick first step, and once a lineman gets their hands on him it’s over.

PRIEST WATCH

Never, ever doubt Priest Holmes folks. Today he was in pads, running through the car-wash drill and taking handoffs. Afterwards he spoke with the media. Check the board for some photos.

OVERHEARD:

“Roll your hips! Don’t be a skater! Penetration!” – Defensive line coach Tim Krumrie, enthusiastically working with his troops.

“What you doin’ over there, six-nine? You only been at it for three minutes! You tired already?” – Head coach Herm Edwards, poking fun at Jared Allen.

SITTING OUT:

Chris Bober, Jason Dunn, Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez, Chris Terry and Greg Hanoian sat out today. This is the third practice in a row Bober has missed.

Priest is something else.........in pads running drills.....and yet he sat out. Very impressive

Direckshun
08-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Good to hear Nate Harris is back in action.

In the time he's been out he's likely lost backup MLB to Kershaw, but he might work out for the practice squad.

Mecca
08-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Good to hear Nate Harris is back in action.

In the time he's been out he's likely lost backup MLB to Kershaw, but he might work out for the practice squad.

Unless he looks awesome in games.....Maybe they'll cut Bell.

Stinger
08-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Priest is something else.........in pads running drills.....and yet he sat out. Very impressive

ROFL ROFL

Logical
08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Never mind I see King_Chief_Fan already took care of bringing the article over. Good job.

OnTheWarpath15

They did that last year while I was there too, yet I don't recall ever seeing it in a game......

:hmmm:

Hammock Parties
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5563/83907345ug0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1358/priest2ow2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1784/priest3bs1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8095/priestcw4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

el borracho
08-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Why do people quote entire articles in their posts? I find it somewhat annoying. We all saw the article posted once. If you have some point to make, quote the relevant part of the article and make your point. There is no need to quote the entire article.

Logical
08-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Why do people quote entire articles in their posts? I find it somewhat annoying. We all saw the article posted once. If you have some point to make, quote the relevant part of the article and make your point. There is no need to quote the entire article.

You will notice I deleted it. I missed the earlier posting.

el borracho
08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Thank you, Logical, but I wasn't referring to you in this thread nor only remarking about this thread. Perhaps the repost police can get an inappropriate post quote sub-division.

htismaqe
08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Bowe is supposedly working out with the guys on PUP, which would be Holmes and Dunn.

King_Chief_Fan
08-06-2007, 12:02 PM

I heard you;)

htismaqe
08-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Another link straight to WPI with not so much as a teaser.

pikesome
08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Another link straight to WPI with not so much as a teaser.

It's got pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Bowe is supposedly working out with the guys on PUP, which would be Holmes and Dunn.

Bowe wasn't anywhere on that field. He might've been inside.

DaKCMan AP
08-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Stopped reading there.

htismaqe
08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Bowe wasn't anywhere on that field. He might've been inside.

Was Jason Dunn out there? They said Bowe wouldn't be working with the team, at least for a couple of days. They said he'd be working out with the guys on PUP. The only guys I know on PUP are Priest and Dunn, and didn't you say Priest was out there?

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Was Jason Dunn out there? They said Bowe wouldn't be working with the team, at least for a couple of days. They said he'd be working out with the guys on PUP. The only guys I know on PUP are Priest and Dunn, and didn't you say Priest was out there?

Priest and Dunn were out there. Bowe wasn't.

htismaqe
08-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Priest and Dunn were out there. Bowe wasn't.

Interesting. Did you hear if he even arrived at camp? He was supposed to get there at midnight...

pikesome
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Interesting. Did you hear if he even arrived at camp? He was supposed to get there at midnight...

The school recap said something about him not being signed just agreed to sign.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Bowe's here. He had a press conference.

Q: You said in the spring that you were going to be here on time?

BOWE: “Always in my mind I was going to be here on time. I hired people to get the job done and it is done. I am ready to roll.”

Q: How upset were you that something was not done sooner?

BOWE: “At first I was upset. But I understand this is a business and they have to make business decisions. My guys handled it well. The Chiefs did a great job. I am here and I ready to go.”

Q: You lost your bet with (President) Carl Peterson (for a steak dinner that he would be in camp on time).

BOWE: “I lost my bet. I am trying to gather some money up to take him out to eat.”

Q: You can afford that pretty soon?

BOWE: “Pretty soon I will be able to.”

Q: How far behind are you?

BOWE: “Coach said I am 200 repetitions behind. But football is football. You go out catch and run around and get in the groove. That takes a couple of days and I will be ready to go. ”

Q: Do you think you can work your way into that starting spot?

BOWE: “That is on my mind. Right now I want to get back into football shape. Go out and take the reps to get better.”

Q: What have you been doing the last couple of weeks?

BOWE: “Working out. Running around, catching, running, doing things like that to keep myself in shape.”

Q: Are you a starting receiver on this team?

BOWE: “I don’t know right now. Those guys like said were out there taking the reps and learning the reps. Once I get out there and learn the offense I feel I will get a spot.”

Q: Did you talk to your teammates while you were not here?

BOWE: “I chatted with a few guys. They told me to keep my head up and that it was a business move. It is going to get done. Once it gets done, to get in and get rolling.”

Q: Have you been keeping up with camp on the internet?

BOWE: “I tried not to watch too much. I tried to let my agents handle that. People called me all the time. I hired good people and they got the job done. I am ready to go.”

Q: Did you talk to Larry Johnson?

BOWE: “I talked to Larry a few times. He said to keep yourself in shape and it is all a business. When you get older you are going to understand that was a business move and you made the right move.”

htismaqe
08-06-2007, 01:17 PM

Thanks man. Good read.

Doesn't sound like he's actually SIGNED the contract yet, so maybe he's just not practicing for now in case of injury...

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 01:23 PM
He's signed.

kcxiv
08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Video of the presser is on the KCChiefs website.

Is it me or does Bowe have some huge arms? .

Easy 6
08-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Why, why, why...in the name of love, is Bell at LOLB???

Why, why, why...is he still on this team???

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Why, why, why...in the name of love, is Bell at LOLB???

Why, why, why...is he still on this team???

I haven't seen Bell make a singe play in TC. Granted I don't watch him closely all the time, but other guys come out of nowhere and I notice them.

Easy 6
08-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I haven't seen Bell make a singe play in TC. Granted I don't watch him closely all the time, but other guys come out of nowhere and I notice them.

I remember 1...maybe 2 big tackles from him last year, thats it.

If they wanted to put him inside in the 4-4 to blast into a G, fine, but this Shiite with him at outside is boggling my mind.

Gunther, let me tell you something my Brit/Kraut friend...Kendrell Bell will NEVER be good on the outside...he's ruining our prettiest D unit, with his olive oil voice & guinea charm...and i'll tell ya somethin' else...i aint no band leader!!!

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 04:43 PM
PM report is premium, but here's two tidbits:

McIntosh injured his knee and was carted off. Herm said it was sprain but who knows.

Dwayne Bowe got hazed by Kennison. Cellophaned and Duct taped to the goalpost. Then got gatorade dumped down his front.

Buns
08-06-2007, 04:55 PM
we need pics of the hazing

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 04:55 PM
we need pics of the hazing

UWRF should have some. My camera ran out of batteries. It was funny shit. Bowe told Eck he would give him 50 grand to get him out of this right now! ROFL

Buns
08-06-2007, 04:56 PM
did kennison have accomplices? also, how did Big Mac sound and look when getting hurt?

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 04:58 PM
did kennison have accomplices? also, how did Big Mac sound and look when getting hurt?

Boomer helped him douse Bowe with the gatorade.

Didn't hear Mac but he looked a little shaken when he was carted off. The cart went down the field right in front of me.

Buns
08-06-2007, 05:01 PM
How does Kennison tape D-Bowe to a goal post by himself? I imagine Bowe has a few pounds on him, unless he was just playing along. Funny line about the 50 grand, I wonder if he was serious?

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 05:08 PM
How does Kennison tape D-Bowe to a goal post by himself? I imagine Bowe has a few pounds on him, unless he was just playing along. Funny line about the 50 grand, I wonder if he was serious?

Bowe seemed like a pretty good sport. He played along.

Hydrae
08-06-2007, 06:05 PM

See, now I took his comments abut 50G the other way. A kid who has lot's of money and is willing to throw it around. Not a good sign IMO. That is a good way to wind up with the wrong crowd around you off the field. :shrug:

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 06:07 PM
F*ck it. I'm making this afternoon's free. Too much good stuff in it.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 06:08 PM
See, now I took his comments abut 50G the other way. A kid who has lot's of money and is willing to throw it around. Not a good sign IMO. That is a good way to wind up with the wrong crowd around you off the field. :shrug:

He was kidding.

Hydrae
08-06-2007, 06:08 PM
F*ck it. I'm making this afternoon's free. Too much good stuff in it.

Good thing it isn't your business, that is EXACTLY when you do charge for it. When there is value.

Not that I am complaining or planning to pay. :)

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Good thing it isn't your business, that is EXACTLY when you do charge for it. When there is value.

Not that I am complaining or planning to pay. :)

I don't like the business model but it's a necessary evil.

Rain Man
08-06-2007, 06:26 PM

Q: You said in the spring that you were going to be here on time?

BOWE: “Always in my mind I was going to be here on time. I hired people to get the job done and it is done. I am ready to roll.”

Q: How upset were you that something was not done sooner?

BOWE: “At first I was upset. But I understand this is a business and they have to make business decisions. My guys handled it well. The Chiefs did a great job. I am here and I ready to go.”

Q: You lost your bet with (President) Carl Peterson (for a steak dinner that he would be in camp on time).

BOWE: “I lost my bet. I am trying to gather some money up to take him out to eat.”

HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE HERE. Carl bet Bowe that Bowe wouldn't be in camp on time? If Bowe lost, then Bowe said he would be in, and Carl said he wouldn't. Why in the holy living image of Walter Camp is our GM making bets that our first-round pick won't be in camp? It's his JOB to get the guy in for camp.

Aside from the obvious conflict of interest, I'll bet Carl stalled the negotiations just to get a free dinner.

noa
08-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I'll bet Carl stalled the negotiations just to get a free dinner.

Wouldn't you?

Hammock Parties
08-06-2007, 09:57 PM
WPI angle: Carl is a genious and knew the evil Ethan Locke wouldn't get Bowe in camp on time, anticipated it and got a steak dinner out of the deal.